Old June 6, 2003, 00:04   #121
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:03
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Given the same token I can not presume to know what your entire opinon about that thread/chat was. You have your feelings about what was meant as does Togas. I'm only offering an outside look into it. To me, it sounded more like a personal matter, bewtween you two, but that's only my opinion. Only Togas can tell you differently; and only you can judge that as to how it makes you feel from your own POV.

I had hoped, frankly, that we would be beyond this by now. We are all on Team Apolyton, and that should be #1.
Old June 6, 2003, 00:23   #122
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:03
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I think you are looking past some things, BigFree. Have another look at that thread. I will not presume to speak for all members of GS, but I know how I view Togas' words there, and in a chat afterward.

Yes, he has refined it to 'some members' of GS. That is not how it started, from my POV.
Whatever frictions you and Togas may have had in the past, this is not the thread to continue them nor are they an indication of team policy for one simple reason: it happened in a thread totally foreign to the current demo game.

I can't believe months after the ashes are still flying around. Grow up people.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 6, 2003, 00:29   #123
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:03
I've become a rather casual participant in this game over the past few months, only bothering to check in with the Gathering Storm forum periodically, and this forum once in a blue moon. So I think I can provide an "outsider's perspective".

I'm surprised at how emotional people get with this game. Here are my disinterested thoughts:

1. This particular thread was in bad form. It goes without saying that giving Vox Iron to fight us will make us mad; saying so explicity is not required. What happens when you make something like that explicit is that people start thinking there's another message, most probably something along the lines of: "Gathering Storm is threatening us". I doubt that was Nathan's intention, but some more caution should have been exercised to ensure things were not taken the wrong way. What is intented to be said and what is conveyed are often two completely different things.

2. The very nature of this thread demonstrates a surprising obliviousness to the world diplomatic situation (as I understand it, admittedly imperfectly). Just a few turns ago everyone and their uncle had bad feelings toward Gathering Storm because of the whole Vox affair. Now we're "requesting" that no one give Vox Iron, which is, after all, "for your own good, since you could be attacked with your own Pikemen and Knights". That's pretty arrogant, IMO. What Gathering Storm should really be doing is praying the other teams will not give Vox Iron, and making steps to ensure this becomes a reality.

3. This is Civ3, and one of the best ways to fight your neighbor is to get another neighbor to fight for you. Thus, I see nothing reprehensible in any other team offering Iron to Vox. In fact, I would expect it. It is simply not right for Gathering Storm to expect that other teams will not give Vox Iron, in order to generate good will. Gathering Storm needs to suck up to the other teams, and not the other way around (even if Gathering Storm thinks they've done nothing wrong...this is definitely a pride issue!).

4. I'm surprised Gathering Storm has such little foreign affairs coherence. In fact, I'm wondering why our "public announcements" are such free-for-alls.

5. Now that I've knocked Gathering Storm, I'll knock the other teams too. My message for everyone else: chill. The members of Gathering Storm are good guys that just want to win this game. There is no reason to get angry at them for how they play. If Gathering Storm makes bad diplomatic decisions, just act in consequence. This is not a course in politics, diplomacy and morality here, although it may well feel like one sometimes; it is a game, with goals to win and have fun. Getting on Gathering Storm's back because they're arrogant a-holes is a waste of time. Make friends where you can, and leave everyone else alone (or, kick their butts in-game, but nothing more).

6. If any of the past few comments were "propaganda", all I have to say is that you're walking a thin line here: although you may achieve the desired effect (i.e. put you into a better diplomatic situation), you'll surely not make any friends along the way. Just look at how heated Vox and Gathering Storm were over our respective public war announcements/reports.

Edit: In no way do I think any Gathering Storm member is an "arrogant a-hole". For the most part, I think we've played the game very well, diplomacy included. In other words, I think Gathering Storm is a top-notch, honorable and mostly misunderstood team. Of course, I'll never convince any of you outsiders the truth of this...(I suppose you could all just ask Trip!).

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; June 6, 2003 at 01:00.
Old June 6, 2003, 00:41   #124
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

5. Now that I've knocked Gathering Storm, I'll knock the other teams too.
That line literally knocked me to the floor laughing!

I can only give you a for your whole post Dom.

Now, lets try to have some fun or kick some donkey, whichever you prefer!
Old June 6, 2003, 00:43   #125
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Very well put Dominae

I for one welcome the trash talking as long as it is good fun (we all need laughs and both Vox and GS provided them in those threads). However this thread has gone a bit past that thin line called tact.

What pisses me off personally is why people are starting to bring in past personal issues into this. It is totally deplorable and makes me wonder preciesely if we are taking this a bit too seriously sometimes when it is just a game.

We may criticize, yes, but when things start getting personal it all goes down the drain. As a demo gamer I may criticize the way GS handled this affair, but it is no fair to start throwing **** at individual players especially since many of us are teammates in the ISDG or are people we cross paths with in other forums. I for one, whatever my impressions of GS as a team and their diplomacy, are quite fond of and admire many of their players.

So, let's stop getting personal and stop taking comments as "official". If people start taking what I say in these types of threads as the "official" position of GoW, then I'll just simply shut up. The same, I believe, should also apply to the other teams.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 6, 2003, 00:45   #126
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:03
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I think you are looking past some things, BigFree. Have another look at that thread. I will not presume to speak for all members of GS, but I know how I view Togas' words there, and in a chat afterward.

Yes, he has refined it to 'some members' of GS. That is not how it started, from my POV.
My GOD does it ever end? I suppose this is what I deserve for having the gaul to publicly call into question the motives of NYE and whoever he was speaking for, which I mistakenly thought was his whole team. I posted my mistake and apology when I learned that I was indeed wrong.

Maybe this will fix it: NYE -- you are right and I am wrong. You are smart and I am dumb. I am secretly ordering my Roleplay goons to attack your team because I have some irrational vengence against you all which relates to my own paranoia and need for institutionalization/medication.

Feel any better? No? Perhaps we should knock off this personal grudge between us and get back to business. You know as well as I do that using "bad feelings" as an excuse for foreign policy is retarded. I know GS is too smart to do that and I know that my people are too smart to let me do that. Let's quit pretending that anyone with half a brain might think so.

I was serious about the olive branch. I don't hate DeepO and I don't hate GS. I don't have some secret plot to destroy GS, I just want my team to do well and to be succesful in this game, and if that means being at peace and cooperating with GS I have no problem with that.

If GS wants to talk to us, please contact us via PM BigFree or GodKing. I'd be happy to see our teams grow past these accusations and suspicions. I know my team would be releaved as well. No one wants a flame war, especially since we haven't done anything to each other to warrant such bad feelings.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old June 6, 2003, 04:14   #127
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I am frustrated beyond words at where this thread has gone. I am angry because my own personal and past issues with the attitude of VERY FEW of the Gathering Storm members somehow grew into a mass loathing by GS for my team. My team had nothing to do with my opinions, and I am tired of seeing them slandered or seeing gross assumptions being made about the nation of Spain and our policies, based solely on my Out of Game beef.
You brought it up, Togas, long before I posted in this thread. You can't seem to let it go.

But, I am a villain for having an opinion of my own and stating it after you have opened the door. I see. If I am inaccurate, what does it matter? The response I receive seems to put some doubt as to my being mistaken. There seem to be a few people determined to receive these words with hostility. So be it.
Old June 6, 2003, 06:15   #128
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I'd really appreciate it if this unpleasantness between NYE and Togas would disappear. Too much heat is being generated, and almost no light. I don't think it's good for either team, or for the game or community in general.
Old June 6, 2003, 06:57   #129
Thud
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNever Ending StoriesC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4BtSDG Templars
Prince

Really, Trip, I was wondering. I had no idea there was any "Luxian Aggression". I was rooting for your team. I suppose I've been a little out of the loop.

Quote:
Now that I've knocked Gathering Storm, I'll knock the other teams too. My message for everyone else: chill. The members of Gathering Storm are good guys that just want to win this game. There is no reason to get angry at them for how they play. If Gathering Storm makes bad diplomatic decisions, just act in consequence. This is not a course in politics, diplomacy and morality here, although it may well feel like one sometimes; it is a game, with goals to win and have fun.
You mean I don't get a degree? Togas, I hope you'll accept my resignation, this has obviously been a grand waste of time
Old June 6, 2003, 08:23   #130
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

Quote:
The members of Gathering Storm are good guys that just want to win this game. There is no reason to get angry at them for how they play. If Gathering Storm makes bad diplomatic decisions, just act in consequence. This is not a course in politics, diplomacy and morality here, although it may well feel like one sometimes; it is a game, with goals to win and have fun.

Perhaps this is where the original misunderstanding has started from. From what I know of several of the folks here, the politics IS what they find fun, and therefore where they choose to pay more attention in the game.

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 6, 2003, 10:25   #131
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Dominae - great post. And right on the mark.

OK folks. Game on!

(maybe someone should close this thread.)

(and GS, next time you want to do a public announcement we can loan you a consultant or two to help you out. This is said in all jest, just to be clear.)
Old June 6, 2003, 11:48   #132
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I think people are taking the game too seriously. Remember when this was just practice for the ISDG? Well, I think everyone's forgotten that, and it's obvious--we're backstabbing, we're bringing in old personal disputes...is this how the game was supposed to be? NO! We need to loosen up a little, and realize we're supposed to be bonding and/or learning for the ISDG, not "playing to win," especially not if this is the result. No disgrace will fall upon anyone if they lose the game, and we need to play the game for fun, not for some all-powerful urge to win.
Old June 6, 2003, 12:05   #133
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx

Perhaps this is where the original misunderstanding has started from. From what I know of several of the folks here, the politics IS what they find fun, and therefore where they choose to pay more attention in the game.

If it weren't for the politics, i'd be out of a job here and in the ISDG...

Old June 6, 2003, 12:07   #134
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by BetaHound
(and GS, next time you want to do a public announcement we can loan you a consultant or two to help you out. This is said in all jest, just to be clear.)
Next time you want to ambush your neighbors, we can loan you a general.

This is said in all jest, just to be clear.
Old June 6, 2003, 12:31   #135
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

I'm hoping that one outcome from this thread will be similar to what happened between RP and GoW in the early ancient age...

After some heated confrontations where members from both sides got things off their chest and beat their chests a little, we learned each others' diplomatic style, everyone calmed down, and we started getting deals done.

Let's see if we can turn this:

Into this:
Old June 6, 2003, 12:42   #136
DeepO
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 05:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas
I was serious about the olive branch.
Care to explain? If I would look that up in a dictionary, all it would say is "branch of a tree with small green or black things at the end off it. Those things somehow get transformed into oil too"

Seriously, I can imagine from context what you want to say, however I'm not sure... and I surely missed that line the first time around (now I see it, but it doesn't help any)

As to you not hating me: maybe. But hate is such an extreme emotion, and you surely don't like me either, seeing the way in which you responded to me. Maybe it would be best if I resigned as ambassador to RP, as personal feelings are getting in the way here... if I can find replacement, I will. Damaging my team simply because how others see me is not my idea of doing good. Plus, I don't have abundances of time (anymore)

DeepO
Old June 6, 2003, 13:38   #137
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Olive branch = peace offering.
Old June 6, 2003, 16:56   #138
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph

Next time you want to ambush your neighbors, we can loan you a general.

This is said in all jest, just to be clear.
Well then - we have a deal.

Vox offers that idiot BetaHound in exchange for Theseus.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:49   #139
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

Well then - we have a deal.

Vox offers that idiot BetaHound in exchange for Theseus.

Great, now we're going to have Draft Picks...

"yes well, we need some warmongers here, I'll trade you some builders, here's E_T and Dominae, and I'll get a Thesesus and an Aggie... thank you"

"What? Theseus is not a free agent yet? Oh well, give me that idiot Zen instead..."

Old June 6, 2003, 19:01   #140
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
No no no no!!!!

I'm glad to see things lightened up a bit.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:56   #141
WhiteBandit
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG RoleplayPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 19:03
Pfft! Having Zen is like taking away from your team!! :P

(04/29/2004) [Trip] we will see who is best in the next round ; [Trip] that is why I left this team ; [Trip] I don't need the rest of you to win |
The solution to 1984 is 1776! | Here's to hoping that GoW's military isn't being run by MasterZen: Hehe! | DaveRocks! or something. ;)
Old June 6, 2003, 21:25   #142
mrmitchell
King

RP demands that a team takes that dumbass mrmitchell away from them within 24 hours or they will declare war on the world

j/k
Old June 6, 2003, 21:40   #143
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
No no no no!!!!

I'm glad to see things lightened up a bit.
Trust me Theseus. Vox is a fine team. And we could use your abilities.

And in return - if I last more than 2 nanoseconds on the floor of the GS senate, I will be pleased to write the next GS public announcement.

Or have I already been shuffled off in a trade for Mr. Mitchell and a two-four of beer?
Old June 6, 2003, 23:05   #144
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

/me trades GhengisFarb for ZargonX

We need some builder talent on our team...
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old June 7, 2003, 00:28   #145
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteBandit
Pfft! Having Zen is like taking away from your team!! :P

oh, this coming from the guy that tried to trade me to CDG in the ISDG for an extra jungle tile?!?!?!

C'mon people, I'm worth a little more than a jungle tile... at least one with some dyes in it...

Old June 7, 2003, 03:06   #146
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:03
Quote:
And in return - if I last more than 2 nanoseconds on the floor of the GS senate
It's not that hard really you've just got to follow a few simple rules like agree with whatever aeson or nbarclay say, constantly moan about how badly vox screwed GS and make vauge references to non-existant AU games.

Comments like "I agree with aeson, experience of AU 310 clearly shows that we should use this GL to build a FP in our capital."
usually go down well.
Old June 7, 2003, 09:03   #147
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

It's not that hard really you've just got to follow a few simple rules like agree with whatever aeson or nbarclay say, constantly moan about how badly vox screwed GS and make vauge references to non-existant AU games.

Comments like "I agree with aeson, experience of AU 310 clearly shows that we should use this GL to build a FP in our capital."
usually go down well.

My minister of information experience may be useful here.
Old June 7, 2003, 11:15   #148
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD

usually go down well.

Some other helpful hints:

Don;t get into a builder argument with Dominae.

Don;t piss off Sir Ralph.

Promise Grog a Tank.

Say something nice about mixed-unit Armies.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 7, 2003, 11:19   #149
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
Some other helpful hints:

Don;t get into a builder argument with Dominae.

Don;t piss off Sir Ralph.
I'm not sure about the first one, but the second one is right on the mark.

Dominae
Old June 7, 2003, 11:29   #150
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
I'm not sure about the first one, but the second one is right on the mark.