Old June 6, 2003, 17:11   #1
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 05:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Sweden to consider female conscription
A study ordered by the Swedish government is suggesting that females should be conscripted as well as men. In the army of the future, brain will be more important than pure muscle, which means only the smartest people will be needed in the defence forces. In that case, it would be foolish to exclude over 50% of the population from possible service.

Today, only the Feminist Leftist party and the Green Environmentalists supports female conscription, which is about 15 % of the parliament. If the governing Social Democrats join their side, there will be a majority supporting the suggestion.

The part of the male population who are choosen for service has dropped significantly after the end of the cold war. Back in the 80's when I served, 80-90% went to military service, while today, only 30-40% goes. The strange thing is that people who are choosen but refuse could get jail, while people who want to go are frequently refused. The laws of conscription need some revison in any case.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:14   #2
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
brain will be more important than pure muscle, which means only the smartest people will be needed in the defence forces.
Why put women in there then?

I didn't even know Sweden had an army to speak of.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:20   #3
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Wasn't crown-princess Victoria called up just recently? Or is that a different case?
Old June 6, 2003, 17:21   #4
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Can't you just drop conscription and have a professional army ? It's great you know...
Old June 6, 2003, 17:22   #5
Chemical Ollie
King

During the good old days in -85, we could mobilize an army of 700 000 men if we needed to. But they had mostly WW2 equipment, except for the artillery, air force and navy who have often been state-of-the art in it's time.

Today we have only 10 army brigades or so, but they have good stuff like Leopard 2 tanks.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:23   #6
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 03:08
Equal rights for women....groovy. Imran will be pleased.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:24   #7
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Can't you just drop conscription and have a professional army ? It's great you know...
That's just a to big pill for the Social Democrats to swallow.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:24   #8
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 06:08
so, when are you invading Finland? I can't wait, you know.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:25   #9
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
so, when are you invading Finland?
That's Russia's job
Old June 6, 2003, 17:26   #10
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 06:08
They could do a co-op.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:28   #11
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
Wasn't crown-princess Victoria called up just recently? Or is that a different case?
It wouldn't look good when she becomes head of state with General's rank if she had never served as a grunt. Most members of royal families all over Europe serve. Look at Denmark and England.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:30   #12
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:08
Conscription is no good. They got rid of it in Spain.. we wanted a professional force instead. We didn't want one full of lousy conscripts.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 6, 2003, 17:44   #13
Chemical Ollie
King

I could understand if the Falkland War made Argentina think twice about changing the conscription system. According to a book I read, their army organisation really sucked. They had no overlapping training classes, so almost 100% of the army joined and left at the same time. That meant that most of the grunts who were sent to the Malvinas had only 3-4 months training, while the British Paras and Marines had several years. More to it, the officers were so afraid of their own troops that they requested to the Brits that they should be allowed to keep their side arms in order to defend themselves agains their own men when they were POWs. Such things would never happen in Sweden.

Anyone knows if the Argentinians changed their organisation after that?
Old June 6, 2003, 17:59   #14
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

and if that co-op includes the baltics and Poland, we'll join
Old June 6, 2003, 18:06   #15
Chemical Ollie
King

No, the Finns are to stubborn patriots to be conquered. I'd rather have them as my friends than my slaves. I have lived 2 years in Finland, so I should know. If you don't believe me, ask Pekka.

Last edited by Chemical Ollie; June 6, 2003 at 18:13.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:10   #16
Ecthy
Emperor

The baltics and Poland, anyone?
Old June 6, 2003, 18:17   #17
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
The baltics and Poland, anyone?
That would get me mobilised for sure. I wonder why they still keep me in the war organisation despite the cut backs? There must be plenty of healthy 20-year olds who could do the grunt job better than a 35-yo couch potato.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:25   #18
Ecthy
Emperor

you'll get to meet some nice ladies in the occupied territories.

baltic suicide rates inply the moral there is low. now or never.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:37   #19
Chemical Ollie
King

I'm sure any Swedish government would support the Baltic side. It would be a major clusterfukc. Sober up and reconsider.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:42   #20
Ecthy
Emperor

I'm perfectly sober
Old June 6, 2003, 18:44   #21
Chemical Ollie
King

Enough of threadjacking then...
Old June 6, 2003, 18:45   #22
Ecthy
Emperor

Isn't this about the Swedish military?

So why don't you get a professional army? That one would kick baltic arse.
Old June 6, 2003, 18:57   #23
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Tall, blonde, big breasted Swedish girls packin heavy firepower!
Old June 6, 2003, 19:02   #24
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre
I could understand if the Falkland War made Argentina think twice about changing the conscription system. According to a book I read, their army organisation really sucked. They had no overlapping training classes, so almost 100% of the army joined and left at the same time. That meant that most of the grunts who were sent to the Malvinas had only 3-4 months training, while the British Paras and Marines had several years. More to it, the officers were so afraid of their own troops that they requested to the Brits that they should be allowed to keep their side arms in order to defend themselves agains their own men when they were POWs. Such things would never happen in Sweden.

Anyone knows if the Argentinians changed their organisation after that?
The problem with the Falkland war is all the A and B grade troops were left for border duties with Chile and the C grade troops were sent to the Falklands. This was because of a simmering border dispute with Chile.

In 1994 (or was it 96) the conscription was thrown out and the army was completely restructured. The TAM tank is the major tank piece replacing older european/american tanks.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 6, 2003, 19:02   #25
Chemical Ollie
King

The Baltics are our friends. I wouldn't trust Belarus or a backlashing Russia though. If any of them decided to attack the Baltics, Sweden would join the Baltic side for sure. And me and my dog would have to go looking for Spetznaz around the radar station.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:14   #26
VJ
King

As a sidenote I'd like to say that goverment of Belarus isn't widely trusted nor cheered, anyway.

Conscription
Gender equality

Female conscription
Old June 6, 2003, 20:20   #27
Ecthy
Emperor

how would Belarus be a threat for Sweden?
Old June 6, 2003, 20:24   #28
Gangerolf
Prince

by sending radioactive rain?
Old June 6, 2003, 20:25   #29
Gangerolf
Prince

sorry that's ukraine