Old June 6, 2003, 20:28   #31
VJ
King

Local Time: 03:08
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
how would Belarus be a threat for Sweden?
Not a threat, but a nuisance to EU in general. Do a Google-search on "lukashenko", that would be a start.

If US goverment would've had any backbone or morals to their claimed ethics, they would've put Belarus in the Axis of Evil. Dictators who misuse their power should be dealt with.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:32   #32
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 05:08
I know the fella. Aren't they already vassals to Russia anyway?
Old June 6, 2003, 20:36   #33
VJ
King

Quote:
I know the fella. Aren't they already vassals to Russia anyway?
I've been under the impression that Lukashenko insists to have Belarus as a part of Russia, but Putin doesn't take let them in, because he mostly disagrees with his nationalist talk behind the public's eye.

But that's my biased opinion, which based on their past actions.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:37   #34
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Putin wouldn't have to bother with that crap if he just annexed Belarus.

The reason must be he wants to make a show off military annexing Belarus.

Increases BB a lot more though.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:39   #35
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:08
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Can't you just drop conscription and have a professional army ? It's great you know...

Conscription is wrong.
Old June 6, 2003, 20:49   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 23:08
Peaceful conscription should go... but conscription during war time, when it is absolutely needed, isn't wrong, IMO.

Though women should be at the front lines as much as men. Equality, dammit
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 6, 2003, 21:51   #37
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Hot, heavy breasted Swedish babes in low cut camo with superior firepower...
Old June 6, 2003, 23:36   #38
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

and short shorts
Old June 7, 2003, 00:20   #39
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 22:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Peaceful conscription should go... but conscription during war time, when it is absolutely needed, isn't wrong, IMO.

Conscription never! If an invasion can't get your people to the front lines voluntarily, then the country isn't worth saving. Conscription is always wrong. Period.

As for war time, well with the war on drugs, terrorism, etc. the US always seems to be at wartime. No excuses. If King George can't raise a volunteer army, then he doesn't get his war.
Old June 7, 2003, 00:24   #40
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuomerehu

If US goverment would've had any backbone or morals to their claimed ethics, they would've put Belarus in the Axis of Evil. Dictators who misuse their power should be dealt with.

Stopping evil dictators! Yeah right! I tell you what. The minute King George stands up to the Chinese and liberates Tibet, he's got my vote. Seriously. If Dubya believed his rhetoric, he'll liberate Tibet - despite the amount of business we do with China. At least impose sanctions!
Old June 7, 2003, 00:26   #41
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:08
Templar, be quiet.. your attitude let alone faulty rhetoric is just nonsense.

Let people have their opininons. You can challenge them but not engage in a smear campaign against others. You have done this to me and ran like a dog with its tail between its legs.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 7, 2003, 00:32   #42
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
Templar, be quiet.. your attitude let alone faulty rhetoric is just nonsense.

Let people have their opininons. You can challenge them but not engage in a smear campaign against others. You have done this to me and ran like a dog with its tail between its legs.
So Fez rears his 70s head again! What the hell are you talking about , "smear campaign"? Are you pro-conscription and pro-Chinese now? Just put me back in your ignore file before I intellectually spank you again.
Old June 7, 2003, 00:34   #43
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

So Fez rears his 70s head again! What the hell are you talking about , "smear campaign"? Are you pro-conscription and pro-Chinese now? Just put me back in your ignore file before I intellectually spank you again.
No I am neither, I am just saying let Imran has his opinions without insulting him...

You intellectually spank me? I defeated you in that debate so badly it wasn't even funny.

70s Head?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 7, 2003, 00:41   #44
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

No I am neither, I am just saying let Imran has his opinions without insulting him...
Why insult him - he's one of the people around here with something intelligent to say. I disagree with him on conscription. Hardly an insult

Quote:
70s Head?
You thilly Thpanyard you (from Madrid?)! Your name is 'Fez' and you have a picture of that character as your avatar.
Old June 7, 2003, 00:44   #45
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar

Why insult him - he's one of the people around here with something intelligent to say. I disagree with him on conscription. Hardly an insult
Maybe what I mean came out wrong. But your rhetoric is very harsh on him.

Quote:
You thilly Thpanyard you (from Madrid?)! Your name is 'Fez' and you have a picture of that character as your avatar.
Fez is cute okay... I have had a crush on him for ages.. there.. that is why I have him as my avatar.
Old June 7, 2003, 02:11   #46
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 06:08
Surprise I didn't read one word of this thread. Becauise my head guerst. But, I'm all for this. I think this is the first stepo to real power of equality.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old June 7, 2003, 03:31   #47
Az
Emperor

Conscription can be ok, if done properly. And everyone should be conscripted on the same level.
Old June 7, 2003, 04:21   #48
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 04:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I must admit, that's the one place we don't put female soldiers. They can fire artillery pieces, they can be engineers, but we don't let them in the front line forces.

It's just not fair to the enemy.

OK, the real reason is because of the morale hit when female soldiers take casualties. It's bad enough them dying, but when they come home looking like Simon Weston it's very bad for the rest of the troops. It does nothing to keep discipline, which is one of the few strong points of the UK army (it certainly isn't most of the equipment).
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 7, 2003, 05:57   #49
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 12:08
Here's to Lancer and MRT: the future Swedish Elite Troops
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	sweden.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	47214  
Old June 7, 2003, 06:16   #50
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

I used to be for a professional army but I've recently been convinced that National Service is the way to go. Do you want all the firepower and combat expertise in the country concentrated with a bunch of extreme-right-wing gun nuts or with the people in general? A nicely balanced, National Service army should theoretically make military coups impossible, and would allow the citizens to rise up and fight any attempt at establishing dictatorship.
Old June 7, 2003, 06:20   #51
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
sylvia saint is czech though
Old June 7, 2003, 06:39   #52
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 12:08
Buck: I agree with you, but since there is no military threat against Sweden I think it's wrong to force people into military service. As long as there is conscription though, everyone should be drafted, if we are supposed to be equal.

MRT: Thanks for the kind correction, I guess it's not my area of expertise
Old June 7, 2003, 06:57   #53
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

believe me, knowledge like that is a curse
Old June 7, 2003, 07:29   #54
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Re: Sweden to consider female conscription
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre Today, only the Feminist Leftist party and the Green Environmentalists supports female conscription, which is about 15 % of the parliament. If the governing Social Democrats join their side, there will be a majority supporting the suggestion.
this is strange. I always thought feminists would be against a women conscription while the Greens would be against any conscription army at all.

I don´t know much about Sweden but probably you will need more than just a single majority in parliament for inventing a women conscription. does your constitution allow this kind of a reform?

Quote:
The part of the male population who are choosen for service has dropped significantly after the end of the cold war. Back in the 80's when I served, 80-90% went to military service, while today, only 30-40% goes. The strange thing is that people who are choosen but refuse could get jail, while people who want to go are frequently refused. The laws of conscription need some revison in any case.
many European countries still running a conscription army have this problem. now consider. if you decide to draft women as well, injustice will even increase significantally. this alone makes me believe that this idea will be dropped soon again.

some European countries think about abolishing the drafting system these days. others (France, Netherlands, Spain) have abolished it already. the reason is obvious. cold war is over and there is no military threat anymore which can be faced with a mass army. and a drafting system for out of area missions (only) is as absurd as unreasonable in a democratic country.

conscription is injust in itself and it won´t become juster if women will also be drafted. conscription made mass destruction wars like wwI, wwII or vietnam war possible. military leaders don´t care about soldier's lifes as long as they know they have enough soldiers in replacement.
conscription is bad for the economy as well.
I´m amazed that Sweden still has a conscription army, anyway. you do better by dropping it in total.
Old June 7, 2003, 08:54   #55
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Quote:
and a drafting system for out of area missions (only) is as absurd as unreasonable in a democratic country
but if you abolish conscription you have to abolish Civil Service too..
Old June 7, 2003, 09:41   #56
muxec
Prince

In Israel more men try to avoid military service, than females do.
Old June 7, 2003, 09:43   #57
Kropotkin
Emperor

From a moral standpoint I'm very much for having equal conscripts for men and women. Less women than men would probably be picked as the armed forces is far from training everyone as it is. But, hey, they considered me to be good enough and in that case women should have a decent chance of doing the same.

I went into real rage in front of the TV weeks ago when a women from the social democrats (I can't remember her name) stated that it wasn't unfair that women got all the possibilites that men have but should be forced to service as they gave birth to children. As far as I know, giving birth, is a personal and volountary decision. Back in the days of the 30s and 40s a country to the south of Sweden gave medals to women that had a lot of kids. Now, however, giving birth to future soldiers is not an obligation.

I'm not that much a fan of switching to a professional army. As I see it, the function's to have enough people with guns to make an invasion costly. They shouldn't invade any other countries.
Old June 7, 2003, 09:52   #58
Az
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
Sylvia Saint with something big and phallic in her hands. Why am I not surprised?
Old June 7, 2003, 09:58   #59
*End Is Forever*
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don't believe in conscription at all, but if conscription is insisted upon it should be on an equal basis.
Old June 7, 2003, 10:10   #60
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

in no country and in no time ever there was something like an equal conscription.
people weren´t drafted because they were privileged (like in France under Napoleon, in Germany from FreddyII-Hitler, or just think of Gerorge W. Bush), or rich enough, so they payed a fee for not being drafted (Turkey today), or they were lucky or smart enough to escape (Germany today, Sweden most likely too).
an equal conscription - with or without women - is nothing but an illusion.