Old June 8, 2003, 17:21   #1
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The RNG Was *Good* To Me!
Playing as Persia, not even a militaristic civ, on the very first attack of my very first war against another civ (the Zulu) I get a golden age, the next attack (still on the same turn) was by an elite immortal and he produced a great leader!

WOW! Talk about luck!!!

So, what's the luckiest thing that ever happened to you?

John-SJ
Old June 8, 2003, 17:25   #2
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 03:13
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Human biases.

No one every complains when RNG is good to them. But they whine like a ***** it if doesn't do well.

I like the RNG for several reasons

1) IT adds significant uncertainty. --Where's the fun if you know your advance units will always win? And this is important if we are talking about incremental advancements in units. A Pikemam > Spearman, but that doesn't mean it will own all the ancient era units.

2) Evens the playing field. If you are behind technologically, there is a chance of surviving a high-tech onslaught by outproducing your enemy or at least slowing them down enough to save your own skin.
Old June 8, 2003, 23:44   #3
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:13
I actually like it when the RNG is against me (but not too much so).

It's just too easy to whip the AI, and it needs some help sometimes.
Old June 9, 2003, 01:35   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 23:13
I hardly notice it any more. You get those runs where 3-5 turns in a row all arties fail, but nothing can be done about it.
Old June 9, 2003, 02:43   #5
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 21:13
how about when my fortified guerilla in a mountain gets killed by an attacking AI guerilla TWELVE straight times? :|
Old June 9, 2003, 04:32   #6
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
It evens out in the end. I am currently playing as the Arabs and invading the Zulus. To start with I was losing units on offence and defence, like a regular pikeman killing one elite ansar and forcing a second one to retreat whilst zulu knights trample my pikemen. Then it turned around and suddenly I can do no wrong. My ansars attack and the zulu units simply die.

You just have to hang in there sometimes.
Old June 9, 2003, 09:55   #7
John-SJ
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 19:13
Hmmm, In my original post I was trying to keep it succinct, perhaps I did not explain myself well. I was not whining over poor treatment by the RNG, I was reporting to unlikely events (especially for a non-militaristic civ) that happened on the same turn, in two consecutive attacks, in fact.

First, on the very first attackof my war against the Zulu I entered a golden age. On the very next attack, I obtained a great leader when my elite immortal attacked another zulu.

Maybe this kind of thing happens to some of you all of the time, but I was under the impression it was fairly rare, especially for a non-militaristic civ, and especially for both events to occur in two consecutive attacks. If my impression was incorrect I'm sure some around here will be happy to correct it.

John
Old June 9, 2003, 10:37   #8
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 04:13
A golden age starts immediately that your civ's UU wins a combat. No luck involved, apart from winning!

As for getting a leader, it is down to luck. I had one recent game where an early war I didn't want consisted of my units destroying two warriors and an archer before peace broke out. Yet I got a leader from just three fights. Currently my elite ansars must have destroyed twenty or more zulu units and no sign of a leader.
Old June 9, 2003, 11:52   #9
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

You know, you really should be spending your luck on a lottery rather than on Civ3
---
I seem to have entire games that lack GLs. Oh well, that's my luck
Old June 9, 2003, 13:54   #10
bobbo008
Prince

i only once got a GL in the dark ages. an army of warriors isnt very intimidating unless the game is that early.

anyone know if GL are less common on deity, cuz i just cant get one after probably 30-40 victories from elite units...
Old June 9, 2003, 14:18   #11
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

You're just getting bad luck. Multiple threads have been done about this, and IIRC, the end result was:

If you want GLs, be militaristic, build the Heroic Epic, build Barracks everywhere (one less promotion to worry bout), and be a warmongering bastard.

EDIT: Usually b*stard is edited out? Heh, maybe the censor's having some trouble due to the server load...