View Poll Results: What do you think this CD for Civ III would be worth?
Only $5.00 3 12.50%
$10.00 sounds fair 8 33.33%
I'd definitely pay $15.00 for this CD 4 16.67%
Sounds Awesome! I'd pay $20.00 for sure! 6 25.00%
I don't think this CD is worth buying at all- not interested whatsoever! 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 9, 2003, 02:48   #1
teturkhan
Warlord

Local Time: 03:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What do you think this CD for Civ III should be worth?
As can be seen on this thread, a proposal has been sent to Civ3 developers Firaxis and publishers Atari, inquiring about the creation of such a CD for the game by the top modders online.

Quote:
The CD would contain:
• New Versions of the Top Mods made for the game – such as DyP, Ancient Mediterranean & TETurkhan and a few more…
• New Unit Animation & Leaderheads: Minimum of 100 units & 10 animated leaderheads with supporting Civilopedia art. All of which will be specifically designed for the mods found on the CD – so in essence 10 new Civs.
• New Sound Effects
• New Interface Screen: Completely transform the menu screens into a new distinct look
• New Terrain Types
• 5 New Scenarios: Very unique & innovative in comparison to anything made for the game to date
Firstly I want to thank all of you that have taken the time to vote. It is people like you that help drive the industry to achieve excellence by demanding the game makers to constantly do more. This is the exact end we are striving to achieve with this “Best of the Net” CD.

Just to address the concerns some of you might have. Our first point is simply this; At present there are limitations that stop the mod makers from doing their best work and the biggest single factor being time availability. This project will simply eliminate obstacles that hinder mod makers and thereby aid their ‘labor of love’ and compensate them for their time in order to drive the game to a new level of excellence.

Many people believe that this should be included for free anyway but the truth of the matter is the cost of hiring a team to develop this project would far exceed the cost effectiveness of doing so. We are tapping into the passion that mod makers have for the game in order to be capable of taking this already great game to a new level.

For the rest of you that take the time to fill in our poll, please understand that this work would not be available without this project.

Once again thank all of you for your input, stay positive and hopefully we will have this CD included for the upcoming expansion of Civilization 3.

Last edited by teturkhan; June 9, 2003 at 13:35.
Old June 11, 2003, 01:11   #2
teturkhan
Warlord

This thread is much slower than the one over at Civfanatics.
Old June 11, 2003, 01:26   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
we dont take kindly to capitialism here.
Old June 11, 2003, 01:34   #4
teturkhan
Warlord

You pay for games don't you?
or wait you must pirate them since paying for them would give into capitalism
Old June 11, 2003, 01:55   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
Can't comment... am at work....

Making money.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 11, 2003, 09:06   #6
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:15
Quote:
Originally posted by teturkhan
You pay for games don't you?
or wait you must pirate them since paying for them would give into capitalism
hi ,

unless atari or firaxis brings this out , no a lot of people like this , .....

and no , we dont pirate

since there are a wide range of mods and scenarios available as free downloads , why should money be payed if you yourself can burn it on a disk , .....

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 09:59   #7
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 23:15
Just wanna clarify?
So, we want to decide how much we're willing to pay for things that we can get for free (and no copyright infringement) or that we can create ourselves?

This sort of seems like what they do on Ebay - take pieces of literature that have entered the public domain (= copyright free) such as many of Dickens' works or Sun Tzu's and burn them on a CD and then sell it to people for 10 bucks?

Hmmm...
????

Ok, so maybe I'm a bit cranky today o _ o
_
Old June 11, 2003, 11:26   #8
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

I think MOD playing hasn't taken root here as much as CFC, to bad, it's IMHO the best part of the game. For those who haven't played DyP, TAM, and test of time I would highly recommend downloading the latest versions (don't bother with the versions on the PTW CD!). All three are truly amazing.

Personally I more excited about this CD (if it happens) then C3C, these guys are good, let's see what they can really do (and give them the recognition, and yes reimbursement for their time, that they deserve).
Old June 11, 2003, 13:33   #9
teturkhan
Warlord

First of all none of this material would be online for free. It is a proposed project, meaning that if we could give it some value in players eyes then it might be seen as a viable investment - thus the reason for the poll.

If it doesn't make money sense to publishers and development companies why would they do it? Furthermore, its really hard to tell people to undertake such a huge project - which for many would be a full time commitment for months on end without any compensation - these people do have to eat you know

Anyway, there will be a message posted soon detailing the final decision on the proposed project.

Last edited by teturkhan; June 11, 2003 at 13:38.
Old June 11, 2003, 13:57   #10
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

10 to 15US$ (15-20 in Canadian $) Seem fine to me... but not over!!!!

I'm ready to pay 10 or 15$ since I can spend 40-50 $ for just one night in a bar.(And 50$ is without the restaurant before the drinking time)!!!
But more than 15$ will be overpriced...

The problem is:
If your CD come with Civ3 Conquest + Best of the net CD. It will cost 45-50$ for an expansion pack(but a big expansion pack). I'll never pay 50$ for expansion pack... and I'm not sure many people will pay for it...

For me a fair price for Conquest + Best Of The Net CD will cost 30 to 40$... but not more, otherwise, people will not buy this cd!!!

But me I will be happy to have the best of the net CD + Civ3 Conquest!!!!!

So good luck...

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk

Last edited by CrONoS; June 11, 2003 at 14:42.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:08   #11
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
First of all none of this material would be online for free. It is a proposed project, meaning that if we could give it some value in players eyes then it might be seen as a viable investment - thus the reason for the poll.

If it doesn't make money sense to publishers and development companies why would they do it? Furthermore, its really hard to tell people to undertake such a huge project - which for many would be a full time commitment for months on end without any compensation - these people do have to eat you know

Anyway, there will be a message posted soon detailing the final decision on the proposed project.
hi ,

well there shall be still plenty of stuff for free , and there is always the editor , .....

we would rather spend 10 bucks more if there where more units , techs and buildings in the game itself then on this , .....

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 14:10   #12
teturkhan
Warlord

Quote:
we would rather spend 10 bucks more if there where more units , techs and buildings
I think those were included in the description of the CD
Old June 11, 2003, 14:19   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:

I think those were included in the description of the CD
hi ,

directly burned on the xp , not on the side

and not from mods or scen's

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 14:22   #14
teturkhan
Warlord

Panag,

If the quality of the work was the same - would it matter then?
Old June 11, 2003, 14:34   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Panag,

If the quality of the work was the same - would it matter then?
hi ,

yes even then , .....

for example , you are allready on the ptw disk , but is there a single 362X362 map or scen , ...... nope there aint , .....

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 14:43   #16
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

teturkhan : You're working with the civ3 conquest editor?
Can you tell us something about the editor?

see ya

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old June 11, 2003, 15:03   #17
teturkhan
Warlord

Actually no I am not currently working with the editor. I have heard though that is more flexible than the current which should allow for more dynamic scenarios.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:12   #18
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Actually no I am not currently working with the editor. I have heard though that is more flexible than the current which should allow for more dynamic scenarios.
hi ,

and thats why anyone can do it , either for free as been the tradition all along since civ I or otherwise people do it themselfs , .....

everyone mods to his or her own taste , its impossible to put everyones likes on it , ......

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 15:23   #19
teturkhan
Warlord

Update
Taken from post at CFC:

Quote:
Producing a Best of the Net CD

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by _Impreza_
Is Atari still considering the offer you guys have put forward? Or have they made their decision.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

The specific proposal which Teturkhan put together -- funding mod makers full time to create an independently sold CD -- will not happen in the Civ Conquests timeframe, for a variety of financial, legal, and business reasons. The door is definitely open for something like this in the future.

However, the concept of creating a separate CD compilation of some of the best material from fan sites such as this one is still quite alive. Since we simply won't raise the price of Civ Conquests, I'm very interested in putting out such a CD as part of a pre-sell program. As in, pre-order Civ Conquests and get a "Best of the Net" CD full of goodies -- some familiar favorites, and some exclusive (for a time). This accomplishes several things:

1) It rewards loyal fans who were going to buy the game anyway, without requiring anyone to shell out more cash.
2) It gets fresh content into the hands of players that might not normally seek out and download these mods.
3) It brings more people into the community made strong by fan sites such as Apolyton and CivFanatics.
4) Pre-sell programs with quality content makes retailers happy. (Happy retailers = more product promotion in stores = more units sold = more Civ products in the future. Plus, that's my job. )
5) It fills the gap while you're waiting for Civ Conquests to ship.
6) It's a nice litmus test that provides evidence for the viability of future projects like the one Teturkhan proposed.

I have nothing official to announce yet; I am working out some details behind making this a reality. Perhaps I'll start a new thread once I have more info. After all, part of the success of something like this depends on involvement from all of us here to really make a splash.

I thank all of you for your interest and your posts, especially Teturkhan for getting the ball rolling on this in the first place. I'm looking forward to making this come together.

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
Old June 11, 2003, 15:26   #20
Randolph
Civilization III Democracy GameC4DG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityPtWDG Gathering StormC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Prince

Panag,
Have you played Double your Pleasure, The Ancient Mediterranean MOD, or Test of Time?

Edit: The full, current versions not the versions on PTW
Old June 11, 2003, 15:35   #21
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Panag,
Have you played Double your Pleasure, The Ancient Mediterranean MOD, or Test of Time?

Edit: The full, current versions not the versions on PTW
hi ,

yep , why ?

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 15:40   #22
Randolph
Prince

Then you should know there's a lot more to them then simple game tweaks. These MODs (and there are probably other ones) are FAR beyond what the average CIVer or even hard core civ player would do.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:46   #23
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 21:15
Conquests is promising, if you include this. I mean, it's new civs, new units, better editor, blah. All that is good, but the promise from Firaxis for a bug-free game is whut would make Conquests worth buying. And have this as a pre-order thing, or $5 extra, or whutever, and I'll for 100% sure buy this XP.
Old June 11, 2003, 19:36   #24
Kaos XIII
Warlord

This is a good idea! I'm in, just for the new civs. I'd definitely pay $15.00 for this CD. And now that Jeff_Atari says it won't cost extra cash.
Old June 11, 2003, 20:16   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

If there actually were NEW terrain types, heck yes! 20$!
Old June 11, 2003, 21:20   #26
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 21:15
Nah. Don't need to make it too confusing. Remember, realism , depth , but gameplay .