Old June 9, 2003, 15:06   #1
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Getting really fed up with the Popups
I've been having intermittent problems (with my ISP?) lately where my internet connection, while still technically there, becomes useless (i.e. no web sites, no email, not even basic pings or direct ip addressing), sometimes almost immediately after connecting. That is my (ISP?) problem, but it has put me over the top when it comes to the INCESSANT popups - I don't want to waste my sometimes brief session waiting for that Brittany page or the related gambling or whatever other junk advertising Poly subscribes to get located and/or load. For all I know, they may even be causing my problems (gambling sites are among those on the seamier side of the web and some are not above selling your address and/or generating hoards of new or difficult to close windows. While Poly's ads may not be really malignent, they most often come in a group of 2 popups and in addition to there being 2 of them instead 1, they DO NOT EVEN SEEM TO RESPECT THE SUPPOSED LIMITS OF ONCE A DAY or whatever the "Ultra Special" styles are said to do.

I've lately been using the SMAC Ultra Special style and IE5 on Win2K. (FYI, On another machine with similar setup I often get a script stating that "Win2K is not an object" which doesn't seem to lead to any ill effects, but may be of interest to someone.). I do not get the popups every time I change pages, but always if I have to reinitialize my connection, frequentlly if I use the 'back' or 'refresh' buttons and somewhat randomly (but still greatly in excess of once a day) browsing otherwise - and this is all within the main forums of Poly, not including outside links and other dubiously justifyable occasions for popups where they always occur.

My point is that I am willing to support Poly to the extent of viewing a 'reasonable' amount of advertising, but when otherwise stressed out with this connection issue, I really resent it when I am hit with these excessive popups despite having this tacit aggrement with Poly that I will view only a limited amount of this cr@p.

Please address this issue if you do not want to push me out the door or into the arms of a popup preventer. Perhaps you merely have a poor algorithm for determining how long it has been since the last time, or are relying on the advertisers to limit themselves somehow, whatever; please look into the causes (or at least fess up to whatever the real popup frequency setting is).

Appropriately enough, when I tried to submit this, the whole bloody Poly server is out to lunch and I almost lost all this typing to boot - at least it didn't give me an in-your-face popup as a topper to go with the (nothing-happening-blank-screen) and (server-busy) messages.
Old June 9, 2003, 17:59   #2
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
hi ,

no pop-ups means no apolyton , ....

unless some pop-up haters donate 25 000 usd to the site owners , ......

have a nice day
Old June 9, 2003, 18:08   #3
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 21:17
Eugh. Agreed.

However, a pop-up killer might be effective?
Old June 9, 2003, 18:10   #4
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Eugh. Agreed.

hi ,

just clear your cache after log on , that should do it , .....

have a nice day
Old June 9, 2003, 18:11   #5
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Eugh. Agreed.

hi ,

just clear your cache after log on , that should do it , .....

have a nice day
Old June 9, 2003, 18:43   #6
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:17
Do you browse with cookies on Apolyton? If not, that might be a cause of some popups.

Without cookies, Poly tracks you with a session string + your ip = you. When you get disconnected and dial into your isp again, you get a different ip address. Apolyton thinks you are a different person, and gives you a good dose of popup fun.

With cookies, at least those extra popups should be removed.
Old June 9, 2003, 19:38   #7
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 03:17
You can get POW! from analogx. You have to enter the windows initially when they pop up but after entering I've noticed you have a few weeks before you have to worry again. There's another one that only allows one winow open at a time but I forget the name of it.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:25   #8
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 21:17
There are much better ones than the one you describe--for example, before going Moz I had one that closed literal pop-ups, and you didn't have to worry about entering them (plus it autoblacklisted the address!). But I've long forgotten its name now.
Old June 9, 2003, 21:31   #9
Rasbelin
Emperor

No pop-ups, no problems. Why? Because I use a Gecko powered browser.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:35   #10
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:17
But my solution still provides revenue for Apolyton.

Although this whole thing would be academic were the powers to be to accept donations from users.
Old June 10, 2003, 03:38   #11
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
But my solution still provides revenue for Apolyton.

Although this whole thing would be academic were the powers to be to accept donations from users.
hi ,

but they do , ....

its called the apolyton store , ......

have a nice day at the store
Old June 10, 2003, 04:07   #12
Rasbelin
Emperor

Erhm, Panag. I won't reiterate the whole case which I have put forward, but basically the store isn't the same as donating. I don't need a dozen of frosty mugs, BBQ aprons (unless I happen to use them as luxurious toilet paper, but that's a whole different issue) and other gadgets, not to mention I can get them a tad bit cheaper in Europe or Finland (shipping, payment costs and the fact that the full price doesn't go to ACS). Also I have 4 vouchers still left, so it doesn't credit Poly either. I have already supported ACS last year with about 32$, so I feel entitled to kill all pop-ups if I so wish (if you don't believe that figure, see the previous thread about the whole donation issue). So in the end donations and/or sponsored memberships are a key in solving this problem.

Have a nice day waiting for being able to directly support Apolyton!
Old June 10, 2003, 04:11   #13
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Asuka
Erhm, Panag. I won't reiterate the whole case which I have put forward, but basically the store isn't the same as donating. I don't need a dozen of frosty mugs, BBQ aprons (unless I happen to use them as luxurious toilet paper, but that's a whole different issue) and other gadgets, not to mention I can get them a tad bit cheaper in Europe or Finland (shipping, payment costs and the fact that the full price doesn't go to ACS). Also I have 4 vouchers still left, so it doesn't credit Poly either. I have already supported ACS last year with about 32$, so I feel entitled to kill all pop-ups if I so wish (if you don't believe that figure, see the previous thread about the whole donation issue). So in the end donations and/or sponsored memberships are a key in solving this problem.

Have a nice day waiting for being able to directly support Apolyton!
hi ,

start to give them out then as B-day present's

there is always the custom made section , ......

maybe they should come up with an idea , buy for 50 bucks and get no pop-ups , .....

have a nice day
Old June 10, 2003, 04:38   #14
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:17
ahhh Britney, my dream girl. Oh why oh why won't she pose naked. That would complete my life long dream of seeing her naked. One day.... One day...
Old June 10, 2003, 04:47   #15
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
By the time they get around to implementing this policy (that we've practically begged for in the past) we'll all have died of old age. Maybe Skanky-Junior will get a chance to donate money to ACS one day?

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; June 10, 2003 at 05:33.
Old June 10, 2003, 05:14   #16
Rasbelin
Emperor

Whee. I can hardly wait to see everyone blaming Skanky Jr.

Old June 10, 2003, 05:41   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I do get more pop-ups then before (settler 2 ), even with the -super de luxe special of the day - style .

Not complaining, just mentioning it. (it's not that big of problem is it.)
Old June 10, 2003, 06:57   #18
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 04:17
I haven't noticed any increase in pop-ups.............tbh I don't think about them any more. The cookies issue seems to be a recurrent one.
Old June 10, 2003, 08:44   #19
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I often get no pop-ups during a day. Mostly I get them when clicking on a link inside Poly.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!