Old June 9, 2003, 20:22   #1
stealthlover
Settler

Local Time: 03:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
2.42 download?
I have been an avid civ2 player for 7 years, but I just joined this forum. I have been reading some amazing stuff from samson and solo about Early Landing strategy and OCC. The things they have figured out are stunning. I was trying to duplicate samson's one city 4 citizen game and doing a lot of reading at the same time. I found out how to check my version of civ2 somewhere on these forums and found I was running 1.0! I found the download to upgrade to 2.42 which people seem to like even more than the later versions for single player. I downloaded the file civ242.zip but am having trouble unzipping it. I have a very old dos unzipping program but it lists the name of the files while telling me it doesn't know what to do with them. Is there something simple I am missing? Do I need a new unzipping program?
I just got the gold edition, version 5. something, but I read the AI are much more aggressive there. I had a much harder time making peace with them than samson did. I want to try it with v 2.42. Any ideas?
Old June 9, 2003, 20:27   #2
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Forum rules prevent us from posting links to downloads of 'vanilla civ' or civ 2.42. You may have more success PM'ing one of the other forum participants.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:43   #3
stealthlover
Settler

Thanks obiwan18. Where are the forum rules? Also where is information about earliest world conquests at deity? There seems to be a lot more data about early landings.
Old June 9, 2003, 23:46   #4
Cedric Greene
Chieftain

Winzip is all you should need to extract the 2.42 patch, its located at www.winzip.com appropriately enough.
Old June 10, 2003, 00:34   #5
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Also where is information about earliest world conquests at deity?
Have you conquered the world before 14 AD?

That's the earliest landing on a small world.

"Where are the forum rules?"

Go to a little button called FAQ.

That should handle all the most pertinent forum rules.
Old June 10, 2003, 07:08   #6
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 04:17
There is not a forum rule against downloading patches! Anyway since you already have the patch just do as Cedric said and download winzip.
Old June 10, 2003, 07:12   #7
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
There is nothing against the rules with talking about an official update, obiwan...

As far as I can tell, stealthlover has both the original and MGE versions. All he wants is to update his original to 2.42 which is a free official update.

So, as Cedric said. Your best bet is to download WinZip. I'm quite sure your old program should work as well, but I'm not sure what problem exactly you're having.

All you need to do is unzip the update into your main Civ2 directory and overwrite any existing files (you can make backups if you want to).

Last edited by Mercator; June 10, 2003 at 16:48.
Old June 10, 2003, 08:52   #8
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthlover
Thanks obiwan18. Where are the forum rules? Also where is information about earliest world conquests at deity? There seems to be a lot more data about early landings.
I think conquest records are a little harder to evaluate, since map size and the nature of the map can make things easier/harder. With 4 AIs, I've conquered before 0 AD on a small map - but I had a good starting position and the map was favourable. The same result would have been harder to do on a med/large map, or an archipeligo, or one with 7 Civs... etc.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 10, 2003, 10:44   #9
stealthlover
Settler

Thanks obiwan, cedric, Spike, mercator, and Six. I found a zip program on another machine and solved the problem.
Six... what units were you up to when you conquored before AD? I can consistently conquor late after running the tech table. I wonder if I could use the early landing strategies I have been reading about to run out the techs early and then revert to my normal conquest tactics?
Old June 10, 2003, 11:32   #10
DrSpike
Deity

Early conquest games should be over well before then. If you have largeish continents ellies and crusaders should be your early tech path, with some triremes later to help you mop up.
Old June 10, 2003, 16:27   #11
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
As far as I can tell, stealthlover has both the original and MGE versions. All he wants is to update his original to 2.42 which is a free official update.
Sorry. Duly chastened.

Please carry on without my less then helpful suggestion.
Old June 10, 2003, 16:55   #12
Mercator
Emperor

No problem, you just misunderstood...

Just don't let it happen again, or else...
Old June 10, 2003, 21:08   #13
Six Thousand Year Old Man
King

Quote:
Originally posted by stealthlover
Six... what units were you up to when you conquored before AD? I can consistently conquor late after running the tech table. I wonder if I could use the early landing strategies I have been reading about to run out the techs early and then revert to my normal conquest tactics?
The trick is, get to crusaders and then stop researching. It seems the AI will match your science rate, and for early conquest, crusaders are the way to go, IMO.

IIRC, in my game, I had some luck with huts and got some good techs early as well as some conveniently located tribes. That helped a lot. Diplomats and Crusaders; that's the ticket

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 11, 2003, 15:39   #14
stealthlover
Settler

Hi Six..
I did pretty well with a game like you described in ToT a couple of months ago. Eventually I got bogged down but it was a full field of 7. I got so many cities that each one had the angry black dude as the first citizen so placating them slowed production. Also movement was slow and I wasted about 10 diplomats trying to destroy city walls of one city before I figured out that they had the Great Wall.
Old June 12, 2003, 02:39   #15
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You can go all the way with Crooks - probably have to in order to achieve a record, but I have consistent success on large worlds, seven civs using the Clads & Crooks strategy ...
Tech path: Monarchy - Monotheism - Steam Engine and then close down Science
WoWs: Gardens (for the black faces), Lighthouse (for vets), Magellans (for movement) - Mike's is nice as well
Everything funded by frenetic trading and being a nice guy -- until the Clads and Crooks are unleashed
Personal handicap - must retain a spotless rep
Sneaky tip: if a civ has a lot of inland cities - let the Clads continuously bombard the coasal cities without capturing them - the AI runs all its surplus units to defend these cities where they too die - then land the Crooks elsewhere and roll up the now scantilly defended heartland
Super Ironclads rule!!!

SG[1]
Old June 12, 2003, 02:45   #16
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

For the record the earliest conquest I recall on these boards was Dr Fell's outstanding Ellie based conquest in c 1500BC with respawning Civs!!! this entailed taking out every AI on the same turn!!!!

SG[1]
Old June 12, 2003, 03:21   #17
ottok
Prince

2.4.2 sucks... really,it sucks... BUT use it if you want it...

BUT it is YOU earlier version is 2.4.1??
Old June 12, 2003, 16:21   #18
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

ottok - if i understand you correctly, stealthlover quotes 1.0? in his first post IIRC my civ2 disk came with 1.08c. but I have heard of people with 1.03 - I guess he probably had one of those - and they are so horribly bug ridden to make them virtually unplayable.

What is your problem with 2.42 ?

OK it is SP, and the AI could be stronger, but it is pretty much bug free - or at least we all know the bugs that are there...

SG[1]
Old June 12, 2003, 19:01   #19
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah anyone that played civ2 out of the box knows that it pretty much sucked. It was still potentially a great game of course, but hard to tell through all the frustration.
Old June 12, 2003, 20:35   #20
stealthlover
Settler

The version I had said 1.0 and I loved it. I never even noticed the problem with the frozen heralds until I read about it on these forums. Afterwards I got ToT which caused me to have to alter my cruise missle paratrooper tactic. When the cruise missle was dropped to an 18 it went clank against a city with sam and sdi. I also got AC, call to power, civ3 but never enjoyed them as much as civ2.
Old June 13, 2003, 05:39   #21
ottok
Prince

2.81.71 vs 2.4.2
Old August 5, 2003, 10:54   #22
Merlin
Settler

Uh, just a simple question, is patch #2.42 actually the latest official patch for good old classic Civ2?
Old August 5, 2003, 11:03   #23
Mercator
Emperor

Yes.

After that the scenario add-ons ("Conflicts in Civilization", and "Fantastic Worlds") hit the stores.
Old August 5, 2003, 11:14   #24
Merlin
Settler

Excellent.

One more thing, though- is it possible to get a name change around here? "TheWizard" seems rather passé...
Old August 5, 2003, 11:58   #25
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

C'mon, be a man...
Quote:
I just got the gold edition, version 5. something, but I read the AI are much more aggressive there. I had a much harder time making peace with them than samson did. I want to try it with v 2.42. Any ideas?
Just play MGE -- Civ2 has evolved, and believe me, while the AI is more surly, it certainly isn't any smarter!

(You may want to check for a current version patch for this one, too.)

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old August 6, 2003, 06:37   #26
DrSpike
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MerlinTheWizard
Excellent.

One more thing, though- is it possible to get a name change around here? "TheWizard" seems rather passé...
PM Ming and he'll change it.
Old August 6, 2003, 09:39   #27
duke o' york
Emperor

Send Ming a "donation to a charity of his choice" and he may allow you to get your name changed.
Your words may be backed with nuclear weapons, but bribery is still the best choice.
Old August 7, 2003, 19:29   #28
Merlin
Settler

Thanks fellas (and Ming)

I'm now running 2.42 and the rather spiffy HiRes mod pack.

*Merlin goes Civ'ing.
Old August 18, 2003, 20:05   #29
twoflower
Chieftain

threatining a mod with nukes=BAAAAAAAAD idea
bridery=go for it