Old June 10, 2003, 07:52   #1
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 04:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What do we want from the Ottomans?
Please discuss if we should make peace now, and if so, what it is we want from the Ottomans!

Maybe someone can sort out all the options (combinations of cities, tech and gold) below?
Old June 10, 2003, 08:43   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:21
A little lost in the threads there BFM?

The FAM 1100AD report by Kloreep lists the options investigated by CiverDan:

Quote:
The Ottomans' ego has finally deflated enough to admit defeat, and they are now willing to negotiate the terms of their surrender. CiverDan has analyzed our peace treaty options; here are the best deals he saw:
Philosophy+Sinop+Antalya OR Konya
Sinop+Konya+Antalyn+Adana OR Bursa
Sinop+Aydin+Antalya OR Konya

As FAM, I'd really like to get our hands on Philosophy (we could then trade it to the Celts for Map Making, putting us only one tech behind again), but if we sign peace this turn, that means forfeitting Aydin. (If we do negotiate peace, I'd go for Phil+Sinop+Konya; Antalya is west of Ankara and would probably just culture flip back to the Ottos. Also, Konya is not on our map, so we'd get some map info out of it at the very least.) However, in addition to philosophy+a few cities or 4 cities, we have the option of continuing the war and trying to take Aydin by force. I'd advocate that approach, but that's partly because I don't have to worry about how to carry all that it (and also partly because I think we'd get one great peace deal if we did take Aydin); it would also run the risk of giving the Celts a few more turns to get Philosophy from another source. Please discuss this; it's an important choice. But don't you want to give our swords a little action?
The discussion has been going in there on what to do now for some time, but no-one has solidified exact objectives.

It is clear however that most if not all who have spoken favour attacking Aydin with what we have to see if we can take it first. Then, I personally would go for peace, getting as many cities as possible out of it, and Philosophy too.

My ideal terms would be Philosophy, Sinop, Konya and hopefully by the time we have Aydin one more city (Bursa?) plus as much gold as they have (if any.)

If we fail to take Aydin then a couple of cities plus Philosophy would be fine. I wouldn't want us still at war with the Ottomans after then if we have lost our forces. We need to look at the Iroquois from now on.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 10, 2003, 08:59   #3
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
A little lost in the threads there BFM?
Sorry - I missed that, obviously. I came back from a busy weekend and had to browse all threads rather quickly.

What we're in need of is an army comparison. I'm referring to the F3 screen. Are we weak, average or strong compared to the Ottomans? How about culture? (this might give us insights about the risk of culture flipping)

Can we have a clear picture (screenshot) of where those Ottoman cities actually are located? (I can't make them all out on the general map).

If we prolong the war without significant damage to either side, will the Ottomans likely give us more or less than they offer now? (this question can only be answered by people with expericence in warmongering, I believe)
Old June 10, 2003, 09:03   #4
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

From my little experience, I have noticed little change in terms where you press the attack but don't actually lose any battles to an ATTACKING enemy. If you lose some troops in our own attacks then that hasn't affected things much.

In short, from what I've seen, the only way terms go downhill is if the enemy starts to attack and win. Every other situation and there seems to be little effect.

/me waits for someone to tell him he's spouting bull

Old June 10, 2003, 10:36   #5
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 22:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
If we prolong the war without significant damage to either side, will the Ottomans likely give us more or less than they offer now? (this question can only be answered by people with expericence in warmongering, I believe)
I can't comment then; look at the Legoland icon. But personally, I think Aydin and Philosophy are the two primary objectives. Thus, if we take Aydin by force, I think we'll be in a better position to get extra goodies (gold, cities) than we are now, even if the actual amount the Ottos will forfeit stays the same.
Old June 10, 2003, 10:42   #6
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

What I mean is: if we go for Aydin and are faced with a stalemate, will our chances to get goodies decline?
Old June 10, 2003, 11:25   #7
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 23:21
MWIA has it right from what I have seen. Only if they go on the offensive will we have problems with dictating terms.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 10, 2003, 11:30   #8
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Probably, if only because a stalemate will mean dead and/or wounded swords near Aydin rather than the current full strength stack. However, I think MWIA is right that the AI has to regain the initiative for the peace value to drop much.
Old June 10, 2003, 11:31   #9
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 03:21
Here's their land.
Pic isn't that great but Aydin obviously is that city surrounded by our cities. Bursa is their city to the north of opdslunch and Sinop is their city to the west and alightly to the north of opdslunch. Izmit is the one north west of Bursa with the luxs. Although their not going to give us that one. While Andyayna(sp) is the coastal one near their blacked out capital.

My priorities would be
Aydin
Bursa
Sinop
Philosophy

In that order. These are the only cities of any real use.
They won't give Aydin, Bursa and Sinop for peace.

Bursa and Sinop are both nice cities with decent land and Aydin is close enough to our capital to be productive.

So I think we should take aydin by force then take Bursa and Sinop, and phil if we can, for peace. If we can do this we'd be nicely set up and the otts would be screwed giving us a possible leader farm in 20 turns.

(edit -added city location descriptions)
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	opdddd.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	47414  

Last edited by OPD; June 10, 2003 at 11:38.
Old June 10, 2003, 11:46   #10
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Thanks OPD

--Con
Old June 10, 2003, 11:53   #11
OPD
Civilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Having fun wiht pics today.
Here's what our land would look like if we had Aydin, Bursa and Sinop.
Quite nice I think you'll agree.
I think I should be official photographer instead of all this vp rubbish.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	opdddd.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	47417  
Old June 10, 2003, 12:01   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Now, what do we REALLY want from the Ottomans....

I would be happy with the heads of all their first born sons, and, oh, 50 of their fairest maidens.

But then maybe that's just me.

Old June 10, 2003, 15:03   #13
OPD
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
with the heads of all their first born sons, and, oh, 50 of their fairest maidens.
Ok but remember, Briseis fairest of them all belongs to Hungryopd who fought so bravely to champion the capture of Edrine and so does deserve such a prize.

The gods would not be pleased if you were to take her away from him.
Old June 10, 2003, 15:07   #14
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 21:21
Personally, I think it'd be best if we just gathered one last group of archers and swords, then sent them right into Ottoman territory, then call of the war when we're almost out of those units.
Old June 10, 2003, 16:46   #15
BigFurryMonster
Emperor

Noticed:
  • We're average compared to the Ottomans, the Iroquois and the Zulus. We're weak compared to the Celts.
  • We have 5 VetArch, 3 EliArch, 8 VetSpear, 1 RegSword, 2 VetSword, 1 RegWar, for a total of 44.13 Army Points.
  • The Ottomans therefore have a minimum of 35.31 points. This could be, for example, 8 RegSpear, 8 RegArch, 3 VetSpear, 3VetArch, to give an idea.
  • Their maximum is impressive: 55.17 points, or something like 12 RegSpear, 12 RegArch, 5 VetSpear, 4 VetArch.

We should keep the Celts as friends :-)

The Ottomans are dismissive of our culture, meaning there is some risk of flipping, especially OPD's lunch.
Old June 10, 2003, 16:55   #16
GodKing
Emperor

So, take out the capitol as well....

--Con
Old June 11, 2003, 09:45   #17
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:21
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
So, take out the capitol as well....
hi ,

, this could put us at a better seat at the table , ....

but we also risk that they have a lot of troops there and nothing in the other cities , ......

its a gamble , .... but if we can pull it off , take the capital , get the techs and sinon and bursa , ....

have a nice day

Old June 11, 2003, 12:12   #18
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I can't see with this resolution and color shading which military units are ours and which are theres nor can I see Ayidas current population.

I'm thinking that given our conquests, the Otts are on the low range of average from us.

Do they have visible units outside of cities? We could add up those points and get a better estimate of the defensive force.

Most likely their defensive units inside cities are roughly in proportion to city size.
Old June 11, 2003, 12:15   #19
Jonny
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesNever Ending StoriesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG The Lost Boys

I recommend taking Aydin by force, then getting Philosophy plus cities with a low chance of culture-flip from the Ottomans for peace.
Old June 13, 2003, 10:36   #20
Brundlefly
Prince

Re: What do we want from the Ottomans?
Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
Please discuss if we should make peace now, and if so, what it is we want from the Ottomans!
I suggest that we want to get an Ottoman that is the same color and fabric as our chair - one that will feel comfortable when we put our feet on it. (sorry, couldn't resist)