Old June 10, 2003, 12:31   #31
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Portugal is our smaller neighbor, monk.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:32   #32
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
I don't think we have to go as far as Kosovo. From my knowledge of history, I can't see any reasons why France shouldn't be declared co-victor of WWI... but maybe somebody will enlighten me.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:34   #33
Monk
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:22
Portugal participated in WWI on the winning side.

Actually this came as quite a surprise to me when I found out. I wonder how much combat the Portuguese saw during those years.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:37   #34
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 04:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
You know every morning I wake up and say "Thank goodness I am not French. I never understood our disfunctional neighbors. How could anybody be proud of a country that hasn't won a single war in the 20th century?"
You are right (WWI does not count). But even if we had won a war, preferably not a civil one though, this is not the reasons why we can be proud of France.

I will not bother to tell you what these reasons are, their access is restricted to those able to understand and appreciate.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:39   #35
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:22
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Some 680 detainees from 42 countries are in Guantanamo, categorized as unlawful combatants by the U.S. government.
This "unlawful combatants" business is yet another stain in US history.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:40   #36
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Monk
Portugal participated in WWI on the winning side.

Actually this came as quite a surprise to me when I found out. I wonder how much combat the Portuguese saw during those years.
Portugal did? Hmm.. did Spain participate? I am not so sure about WWI.. I think like Argentina we stayed neutral.. but I will have to recheck that.

Davout, are you proud to be French?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:40   #37
Menlas
Chieftain

We definitely won WWI, allied with other countries, but we paid an huge price for this (more than 6 mil. deads).

Quote:
Portugal is our smaller neighbor, monk.
Yeah, that's what we say about Spain too, sometimes
Old June 10, 2003, 12:43   #38
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Menlas
We definitely won WWI, allied with other countries, but we paid an huge price for this (more than 6 mil. deads).
Yes you did but you needed a lot of help. I think France fought with great bravery in WWI. I don't know what happened in WWII.. I guess just being exhausted of war.

Being tired of war is the reason why we did not get involved in WWII. We had a bloody three year civil war.

Quote:
Yeah, that's what we say about Spain too, sometimes
Well my mom told me when she was my age, she remembers Frenchmen throwing Spanish products into a river near the border. Is this still true?
Old June 10, 2003, 12:47   #39
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Why not be proud to be French? A nation's pride need not and should not rest on military conquests, but on history and culture. France has one of the greatest cultural histories in the world. There's a reason why French was the language of refinement and diplomacy throughout Europe for a long time.

If you disagree with France's positions now, so be it, but it's pretty lame to tell French people they should be ashamed of who they are for some reason. I'd rather be French than Congolese at the moment.
Old June 10, 2003, 12:50   #40
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Screw the French.

You'd rather those Americans be caught in the middle of a firestorm?

Try and show a little gratitude, at least for the French soldiers who acted heroically. Maybe you can separate your bile for France from the actions of individual French?

THANK YOU to the French for saving those American lives.

Gee, that felt nice!
Old June 10, 2003, 12:54   #41
lord of the mark
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
thank you france - you are still our ally.

That does not mean its not rational to punish them in some form. Clearly for the French to suffer no consequences for their actions in winter of 2003 might tend to encourage them and other states to take similar actions in the future - which if you share the admins view of US interests and possibly necessary future actions, would not be a good thing.

But that does NOT mean its rational to treat France as an enemy, or even as a neutral. Being a strategic rival AND being an ally are not incompatible. I wouldnt think id have to point that out here where most of us are civ or smac players. I would point to real world examples, like the western-russian relationship during ww2, or even the US - UK relationship during WW2.

France and the US still have many overlapping interests, from Afganistan to order in west africa, to the growth of the world economy. But that also does not mean we need to gloss over our disagreements, and realize they extend far beyond Iraq.

I would also point out another way im happy for france - one of the reasons France was as opposed to the Iraq war as she was, was fear of violence from her own muslim population - far larger and less assimilated than the US muslim population. AFAIK there has been no outbreak of violence in France since the war began - and I am glad of that - such violence would in no way serve the interests of my country.
Old June 10, 2003, 13:02   #42
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez

Davout, are you proud to be French?
From my point of view, one can only be proud of what one has accomplished, therefore as it took 1000 years to build this country I cannot be proud of what it is today.

But I am happy to be French, I enjoyed it consistently, and above all I respect and admire the great guys who really did the job. And although I like the USA and (most of) its inhabitants, I would not change my passport for a US one.
Old June 10, 2003, 13:10   #43
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT

From my point of view, one can only be proud of what one has accomplished, therefore as it took 1000 years to build this country I cannot be proud of what it is today.

But I am happy to be French, I enjoyed it consistently, and above all I respect and admire the great guys who really did the job. And although I like the USA and (most of) its inhabitants, I would not change my passport for a US one.
pah! you sound like a German!
Old June 10, 2003, 13:10   #44
Giancarlo
King

Okay I have no problem with one being happy with ones nationality. I am myself if you haven't noticed. I just disagree with many of the positions taken by the French government.
Old June 10, 2003, 13:14   #45
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by oedo

pah! you sound like a German!
Now where is Echtelion...
Old June 10, 2003, 13:15   #46
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

still sleeping I guess.
Old June 10, 2003, 13:17   #47
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
Originally posted by oedo
still sleeping I guess.
He promised me if I visit Germany he would take me out to the best bars...
Old June 10, 2003, 13:20   #48
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

in Cottbus?

well, I think we lost the topic. letīs keep on bashing the French, which means, Iīm outa here.....
Old June 10, 2003, 13:29   #49
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
This "unlawful combatants" business is yet another stain in US history.
Nonsense. Read the Geneva convention it is all there in black and white. The whole thing is perfectly legal and sanctified by international agreement even if some people choice wish it weren't.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 10, 2003, 13:37   #50
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
Ignore him, Oerdin. As a PRC apologist, his biggest hobby is taking potshots at the USofA, hoping it will make the PRC look better.
[/threadjack]

to the French for helping out US civilians. Thanks from this American.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 10, 2003, 14:23   #51
VJ
King

Local Time: 03:22
From the other thread...

Quote:
Originally posted by me :
What's so special about saving innocent civilians? Should we make a new topic every time when similar situations occur?

Spamfest.
Old June 10, 2003, 14:26   #52
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Ignore him, Oerdin. As a PRC apologist, his biggest hobby is taking potshots at the USofA, hoping it will make the PRC look better.
Guilt by association.
Old June 10, 2003, 14:28   #53
VJ
King

[continuing threadjack]
I think that UR was just attention-whoring, to challenge viewpoint which seemed to be shared by all posters of that topic.

Don't hold it against him (her?).
Old June 10, 2003, 14:33   #54
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Tom: Whats so special about saving innocent lives? Because the FRENCH saved AMERICANS, despite American claims that France is an enemy of the US.

It's not the saving innocent lives part (Unless it was, say, North Korea saving Americans) thats special about this.