Old June 16, 2003, 21:01   #121
Sikander
King

Local Time: 20:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

This is exactly the same with me. Either they offer me the job right on the spot, or they don't want to hear from me again.

Very strange.
I don't think it's strange. Either they have already promised the job to another candidate and are just interviewing some people for backup, or you have easily blown away the competition, and the job is yours. They usually find their candidate long before all of the interviews are completed, but don't close the door until his references etc. have checked out.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:02   #122
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Among all the jobs I interviewed for throughout the years, I only got to the second interview twice. Okay, so many of them didn't have a second interview, but it seems a bit strange that I got through to the second round less than 10% of the time since being shortlisted for an interview generally means the company thinks I probably have what it takes to do the job.
Old June 17, 2003, 04:03   #123
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 04:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
No, this is what I mean, the world isn't perfect...it's like walking down on an up escalator, that is what I mean...there is no such thing as a chance. And a look at the man in the mirror? I don't see the problem...
There is always something you can improve. CVs will always be improved by a rewrite, I seem to remember you got loads of good feedback here about yours last time. I imagine there are still things that could be improved. I was improving my CV pretty much weekly and changing it slightly for every job I applied to when I was unemployed. Cover letters will get better and better the more you rewrite them. That's before you even get to first impressions and interview techniques.

It is a tough time to get jobs at the moment though, I'm glad I'm not doing it right now.

We've got both kinds
Old June 17, 2003, 09:43   #124
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
I've applied for commercial and practice environments, managerial through graduate positions, financial, accounting, research and marketing roles etc.

I'm working a broad base, and tailoring my CV to the firms or companies I am applying to. Ideally I want a job that allows me to finish my qualification, then I can do anything I want knowing that is under my belt. I will accept any permanent job that gives me a good career grounding or part-time one that keeps things ticking over.
Maybe try focussing in a little more. What would be the ideal job? Than target that with more adapt and overcome methods. (Not repsonding to postings but being proactive).

REad the Parachute book.
Old June 17, 2003, 23:31   #125
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:23
The Parachute book makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but quite unless ultimately.
Old June 18, 2003, 09:16   #126
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
The Parachute book makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but quite unless ultimately.
I think it's got some good insights. I've used the method that he talked about wrt making a roladex of your contacts and contacting them with a specific message and had it work for me. It also has mroe research (granted US based) than any other souorce.

BTW, did you work through the exercises (including the informational interviews and the like) and find it useless? Or just find it useless since it wasn't an effortless solution? I can't imagine anybody not getting benefits from doing a disciplined research effort the way he recommends...
Old June 18, 2003, 09:17   #127
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I don';t think the Para book will solve all your problems. Nothging does that. But it is worth the rpice and has some useful insights.