View Poll Results: How should votes be conducted?
1 Nation, 1 Vote 14 51.85%
1 Person, 1 Vote 10 37.04%
2 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
3 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
4 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
5 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
6 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
7 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
8 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
9 Persons, 1 Vote 0 0%
10 Persons, 1 Vote 1 3.70%
Other 0 0%
Xenobanana 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 10, 2003, 15:28   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 03:23
Local Date: November 2, 2010
OFFICIAL - United Nations Polling Standards
How should polls be conducted? YES, THIS WILL BE A DIRECT-DEMOCRACY-ONE-PERSON-ONE-VOTE POLL!!!!!

Options:

-1 Nation, 1 Vote
-1 Person, 1 Vote
-2 Persons, 1 Vote
-3 Persons, 1 Vote
-4 Persons, 1 Vote
-5 Persons, 1 Vote
-6 Persons, 1 Vote
-7 Persons, 1 Vote
-8 Persons, 1 vote
-9 Persons, 1 Vote
-10 Persons, 1 Vote
-OTHER
-XENOBANANA
Old June 10, 2003, 15:56   #2
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 21:23
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This is a game of 5 nations and rules decisions will impact on them as nations. I find it unsupportable that a majority in population could potentially dictated to the majority of factions

One-person one vote worked fine in the last game and to set up this game but now we are divided into groups with potentially adverse interests. My view is that on any issues that arise, a faction should poll its members and establish a faction position and then the will of the majority of factions should rule. At a practical level, the HIve outnumbers the other factions 2 to 1 and could potentially wield undue influence. ( NOte that I said POTENTIALLY)
Old June 10, 2003, 16:10   #3
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

One person, one vote. This is a meta poll to establish gameplay mechanics. Everyone should have a voice.
Old June 10, 2003, 17:18   #4
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Static Universe
One person, one vote. This is a meta poll to establish gameplay mechanics. Everyone should have a voice.
THis poll says nothing about what TYPES of decisions would be subject to the form of decision making.

If you are thinking of the related "timing of turns" poll, that is a perfect example where the will of the "majority" might conflict with the realities of the factions. The majority might support any sort of rule that one or more of the factions would find impractical to meet.
Old June 10, 2003, 17:52   #5
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber

THis poll says nothing about what TYPES of decisions would be subject to the form of decision making.

If you are thinking of the related "timing of turns" poll, that is a perfect example where the will of the "majority" might conflict with the realities of the factions. The majority might support any sort of rule that one or more of the factions would find impractical to meet.
So far no factions have said anything about any passed rule or to-be-passed rule that they would find impractical to meet. But this is not to say that we should exclude the possibility that this could happen. We could still set up a rule saying that if it is impractical for a faction to meet a certain rule then an exception should be granted. Again this can be and I believe will be passed by the majority.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 10, 2003, 17:55   #6
Snowflake
ACDG3 SpartansACDG The Human HiveACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNs
Princess

I voted 10 persons, 1 vote. Just to add some flavor and lessen the heat a little bit as I think this may also be the intent of the thread initiator by listing them (just speculation of course).

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 10, 2003, 18:00   #7
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu

So far no factions have said anything about any passed rule or to-be-passed rule that they would find impractical to meet. But this is not to say that we should exclude the possibility that this could happen. We could still set up a rule saying that if it is impractical for a faction to meet a certain rule then an exception should be granted. Again this can be and I believe will be passed by the majority.

That would be anarchy. A rule that says rules don't apply if people say they can't comply ??
Old June 10, 2003, 18:04   #8
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Flubber

That would be anarchy. A rule that says rules don't apply if people say they can't comply ??
That would be quite ironic, isn't it? But what I mean is that when it is "impractical" (as you said), in other words, when they really do want to comply but circumstances have prevented them to.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 10, 2003, 18:10   #9
Voltaire
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessNever Ending StoriesC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Human Hive
King

Local Time: 20:23
1 person, 1 vote; the prospect of giving every nation an equal vote when they're clearly not equal is preposterous.
Old June 10, 2003, 18:12   #10
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by HongHu
I voted 10 persons, 1 vote. Just to add some flavor and lessen the heat a little bit as I think this may also be the intent of the thread initiator by listing them (just speculation of course).
I took it light-heartedly as well.

This whole debate reminds me of debates about the Canadian Senate. Whenever someone from a smaller province proposes a Senate ( like in the U.S.)where each province gets equal represenatation ( for the 10 provinces), the people from the two most populous ( WELL over half the population and control of the lower house because of this) provinces jump and scream that their votes would not be worth as much. The eight smaller provinces scream about having no say.

Since the majority in the populous provinces see themselves as losing out in such a Senate Proposal, the issue NEVER goes far. The majority blissfully goes along seing the system as "FAIR" while the eight provinces all feel like they have no say or no control compared to the wishes of the majority in Central Canada.
Old June 10, 2003, 19:02   #11
johndmuller
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 22:23
This poll is a fairly good example of the kind of abuses that this whole polling system can lead to - given the selection of sarcastic choices, it seems that it is a statement rather than a survey. Even as a statement it seems to lack something - for the life of me, I can't be sure whether it is a statement by or about the author .

Whoever creates the poll sets the ballpark for the issue by whatever language they use to describe the situation and more especially, by the selection (and omission) of choices. For example, this poll did not include my earlier suggestion that:
Quote:
The Official dissent of any two factions to a poll necessitates a by-faction roll call vote requiring a majority of factions to pass the measure.
The previous poll was all absolutes, it didn't formalize any mechanism for pre-approval of extra time like for diplomacy or exceptions for good-faith attempts as in "'Poly ate my upload and then wouldn't let me back on".

Part of the reason I objected to the other poll was that by publishing this as an Official poll Jam was seizing control of the issue by the way he framed the poll and at the same time blessing himself with the title Official. (This official thing may have worked in the prior game, but here it is really only appropriate in our private forums - OR - should the Googster Himsself choose to create a poll.). The fact that turn times were going to be subject to regulation was presupposed just by having a poll - even if we decided not to regulate turn times, the fact that we had this poll meant automatically that we could have regulated them if we had wanted to. For example, if I started a poll to distinguish which among a laundry list of various violations would be, if committed, sufficient to cause a person to be removed from this game, even if I included a "none of the above" option, and it won, I would nevertheless have pretty much established that this psuedo-planetary government could enforce a code of conduct.

Interesting that the people who are role-playing the totalitarian Yang have so quickly embraced the culture of the police state - something similar must be happening with the friends of Sven, that must be why Cap'n Flubber and myself are going with these libertarian and almost anarchist (btw, who says anarchy is bad?) positions (In RL, I am much more amenable to government regulations).
Old June 11, 2003, 00:17   #12
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by johndmuller
This poll is a fairly good example of the kind of abuses that this whole polling system can lead to - given the selection of sarcastic choices, it seems that it is a statement rather than a survey. Even as a statement it seems to lack something - for the life of me, I can't be sure whether it is a statement by or about the author .
Can people not have some fun now? Are we at that serious of a state already?

Quote:
Part of the reason I objected to the other poll was that by publishing this as an Official poll Jam was seizing control of the issue by the way he framed the poll and at the same time blessing himself with the title Official.
My dear pirate friend, first let me applaude on your keen eyes. Some of us did not give much attention on the word "Official" in the poll titles at all. Maybe if you started out to say that your problem is simply with calling it official, we may not end up with such disparity. (Then again, I could be wrong.) Secondly, let me assure you (as if my assurance counts for anything), that having the word "official" in the title of a poll does not make the poll more official than others. You can make a poll with your laundry list of whatever, and you can add the word "official" in the title, and people can even vote on it. This does not, however, mean that you have somehow established a psuedo-planetary government that would be enforcing some kind of a code of conduct. If there are people who dare to not agree with you and me, let them be prepared for the rage of the demon boil Sealurks that is recently upgraded in the PEACE lab!

On that note, why don't you, my pirate friends, create a poll that includes more appropriate options? You know, at time of a planetary crisis, even priates have a duty in additon to taking care of xenorums.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 11, 2003, 01:24   #13
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

OK, since it's late at night and I'm not in a good mood, so those of you whom have angered me.....Shall meet the wrath of hell

Quote:
My view is that on any issues that arise, a faction should poll its members and establish a faction position and then the will of the majority of factions should rule.
My view is that this is a load of bunk Say it's a 49/51 vote....By saying "1 faction, 1 vote" you are saying that THAT is when 49 percent of those votes aren't counted anymore. They become MEANINGLESS.

To sum it up: THE MINORITIES VOTES ARE ONLY COUNTED AT A STATE LEVEL, AND NO FARTHER. Hardly democratic

Quote:
Yes! Playing turns when the majority ARENT online will be bending over backwards for the minority, but will slow the game down considerably.

Imagine if all television programing in Calgary was listed under Moscow time. It would be bending over backwards for Moscovian-Candadians, but it would inconveinence the rest of the nation.

Quote:
I intended to create this poll for ALL future polls. Because if we become so bogged down that

1. More than half of all DG players aren't online when less than half are
2. We have to create a seperate "United Nations Polling Standards" poll for EVERY TYPE OF SITUATION
3. One person can come up and say "Well, even though the majority said THIS....I say nay." and ties up the entire DG....

Then we are NEVER GOING TO GET DONE

Quote:
I think this may also be the intent of the thread initiator by listing them
Yes, I listed them because some people are being so whiny. They don't get the outcome they like, so they spew out the "Well, the HIVE or the CONCIOUSNESS can skew the results ANY WAY they'd like!!! Even though GooglieGod says theres no mention of it in the forums.......It's still a mass conspiracy." load of stinky fish. And quite frankly, it's bugged me so much I decided to list these options.

Quote:
Since the majority in the populous provinces see themselves as losing out in such a Senate Proposal, the issue NEVER goes far. The majority blissfully goes along seing the system as "FAIR" while the eight provinces all feel like they have no say or no control compared to the wishes of the majority in Central Canada.
But, which is worse. The majrotiy blissfully going through or the minority blissfully going through simply because theyre a minority in the country?

And be thankful you don't have the electoral college....Votes aren't counted beyond a state level, and if the "Electoral Slate" of a state doesnt agree with the results......Then it can simply submit new ones

Quote:
it seems that it is a statement rather than a survey
It's both a statement and a survey. A survey to see what people want, and a statement pointing out how stupid this entire debate really is.

And you are proving my statement correct by casting the "Sinner!!! He can be SARCASTIC, so this poll shall be cast out!!!" spell

Quote:
The Official dissent of any two factions to a poll necessitates a by-faction roll call vote requiring a majority of factions to pass the measure.
More bogging down. If I can bring a DG to a screeching halt simply by saying MY OPTION wasn't included (while there is an "Other" option), is silly. I feel like I'm debating in the US senate, with all this red tape going on.

Quote:
Part of the reason I objected to the other poll was that by publishing this as an Official poll Jam was seizing control of the issue by the way he framed the poll and at the same time blessing himself with the title Official.
Yes. So lets post an "unofficial" poll, get a clear vote, then WAIT for googlie to come online, post an OFFICIAL poll, have nearly the same outcome, and then have it go into effect.

That'll really speed things up Right now, your doing a political manuevere where you stall for time. Maybe to change an outcome, or to delay things, or whatnot. Please stop.

Quote:
Are we at that serious of a state already?
Yes HonghHu. Some people are taking this game WAAAY too seriously. I mean, minorities demanding that they become equal to the majority, beauacracy......This DG is really beginning to resemble real-world politics.

And no offense HongHu, but there is a psychological effect when people see official....They are more likely to click. Therefore it gets more votes, etc and then people expect it to become LAW.
However, if we have to have an unofficial poll and THEN wait for GooglieGod to make an official poll, things will go sooo slow.....

And continuously re-creating polls until everyones options are in is VERY easy to exploit.....

"Well, my option of TASSADAR IS GLORIOUS wasn't included, so I created this poll with the option "

Seriously. We need to create SOME type of government here. We were able to function together as a DG previously....All thats changed is there are more groups. So why is the DG being shaken up so much over something so inconvienient? Yes, when I'm in the minority I want people to listen, but fact is....I'm still in the minority.

Plus, usually people come to me Remember political parties in the last DG? Yep
Old June 11, 2003, 02:13   #14
The_Progenitors
Chieftain

::Progenitors: aware that humans : engaging in democratic process............... Dictatorship: closest known human equivalent to: superior Progenitor methods............... Democracy too chaotic. Makes humans: untrustworthy................... Suggest: reconsideration of voting procedures::
Old June 11, 2003, 02:18   #15
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Progenitors
::Progenitors: aware that humans : engaging in democratic process............... Dictatorship: closest known human equivalent to: superior Progenitor methods............... Democracy too chaotic. Makes humans: untrustworthy................... Suggest: reconsideration of voting procedures::
Who are progenitors? I haven't seem them on Planet...
Old June 11, 2003, 03:33   #16
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Tass

Polls = good

More polls = better

I haven't seen so many people actully taking part in the demo game for about three weeks.

1 person - 1 vote, otherwise this demogame will end up being played by 5 people and Googlie.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 11, 2003, 04:52   #17
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Progenitors
It appears we are being watched by an alien presence. But are they friend or foe?
Old June 11, 2003, 08:14   #18
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Is this a joke? Surely this is just between whther we vote by head or vote by faction?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 11, 2003, 09:50   #19
Snowflake
Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Is this a joke? Surely this is just between whther we vote by head or vote by faction?
Good question, Drogue. Surely this whole complicated mass is hard to understand to your logical wisdom. Sometimes human beings can really become irrational and emotional when they try to make logic out of things. One of the reasons that I keep a distance from RL politics.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 11, 2003, 09:54   #20
Snowflake
Princess

I suggest Googliegod makes a determination on this one head one vote vs one faction one vote matter and shut the confusion once and forever. This does not preclude Googliegod makes an OFFICIAL poll before he makes a determination.

Grapefruit Garden
Old June 11, 2003, 10:37   #21
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Tass

1 person - 1 vote, otherwise this demogame will end up being played by 5 people and Googlie.

-Jam
With all respect, BULLCRAP. There is supposed to be a full democracy game going on within each faction. Out here, as many people as want to can roleplay, argue or whatever.

All I am proposing is that rule changes not be made by a majority of people without regard to the wishes of the 5 FACTIONS.
Old June 11, 2003, 10:59   #22
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

My view is that this is a load of bunk Say it's a 49/51 vote....By saying "1 faction, 1 vote" you are saying that THAT is when 49 percent of those votes aren't counted anymore. They become MEANINGLESS.

To sum it up: THE MINORITIES VOTES ARE ONLY COUNTED AT A STATE LEVEL, AND NO FARTHER. Hardly democratic
But that is the way nations work. When the United States or Britain or ANYBODY takes a position at the UNited Nations or whatever. They take the position on behalf of the nation despite any internal divisions.

In the UN its one country, one vote ( And NO I don't want anybody with a veto, other than Googlie). Imagine if China and India each wielded 4 times the influence of the US in world governance issues. Would the US or Russia accept this ??

In game fairness terms, it is hardly democratic or fair to accept a decision that 51% of the people want when it could be opposed by the majority of the factions that have to live with it.

QUOTE] Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Imagine if all television programing in Calgary was listed under Moscow time. It would be bending over backwards for Moscovian-Candadians, but it would inconveinence the rest of the nation.

[/QUOTE]

Wheres the inconvenience ?? ON a rules issue you could have the position of the factions just as quickly, if not more quickly than the time needed for a general vote.

I intended to create this poll for ALL future polls. Because if we become so bogged down that

1. More than half of all DG players aren't online when less than half are
2. We have to create a seperate "United Nations Polling Standards" poll for EVERY TYPE OF SITUATION
3. One person can come up and say "Well, even though the majority said THIS....I say nay." and ties up the entire DG....

Then we are NEVER GOING TO GET DONE

[/QUOTE]

BULL -- I asked the question for the very reason that there could be issues arise where there are factional interests involved. My method wouuld be no slower than a general vote-- it would be the same only the factions would vote

Yes, I listed them because some people are being so whiny. They don't get the outcome they like, so they spew out the "Well, the HIVE or the CONCIOUSNESS can skew the results ANY WAY they'd like!!! Even though GooglieGod says theres no mention of it in the forums.......It's still a mass conspiracy." load of stinky fish. And quite frankly, it's bugged me so much I decided to list these options.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know if the whiny part was aimed at me but I was and am a big proponent of the one nation one vote concept. So far I have liked the outcome of the individual polls but to me that irrelevant. I never said anything about any conspiracy. ( THAt and the whiny bit are strawman arguments IMHO)

If this is a democracy game then people should act in the same fashion as they would in the real democracies. My example of the Canadian senate is the exact same issue and the arguments are the same. People in smaller political entities argue for powers by entitity while peoplein larger ones see the "fairness" of an individual vote

If I were roleplaying, would you expect a nation of sea-captains to submit to a world council that allowed them anything less than an equal voice at the table.
Old June 11, 2003, 11:14   #23
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Seriously. We need to create SOME type of government here. We were able to function together as a DG previously....All thats changed is there are more groups. So why is the DG being shaken up so much over something so inconvienient? Yes, when I'm in the minority I want people to listen, but fact is....I'm still in the minority.

Plus, usually people come to me Remember political parties in the last DG? Yep

But Tassadar, this game is fundamentally different that the last one. The different groups in the last game ALL had the same interest at the end of the day, the betterment of one faction. In this game, the different groups, are fundamentally opposed to one another. We are opponents.

I don't see that the game has been shaken up or what is proposed is so inconvenient. Factional voting could be quicker and the game would ooperate more like the real world politics we are trying to emulate as part of the game.

When I am in a minority position in my faction, I lose and our faction does something else. I accept that. BUT in the world government I don't think anything should pass that the majority of nations oppose.

Plus, usually people come to me Remember political parties in the last DG? Yep [/QUOTE]

Convincing people and factions . . . thats all I have been trying to do . Doing ok with it as well.
Old June 11, 2003, 11:18   #24
Flubber
Deity

Oh and Tassadar

I noticed that the poll results thus far narrowly support one nation- one vote. Just curious as to when you plan to close the poll . . . Also as a proponent of the one person -one vote system, would you accept the delegation of power to the nation-states if that were the final result ?
Old June 11, 2003, 11:51   #25
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Are we not still operating under the constitution of the old demo game which had 1 person, one vote, and which will require a TWO THIRDS majority to change? Also all official polls should run for a set time with a minimum of three days.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Old June 11, 2003, 12:38   #26
Flubber
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Are we not still operating under the constitution of the old demo game which had 1 person, one vote, and which will require a TWO THIRDS majority to change? Also all official polls should run for a set time with a minimum of three days.

-Jam
The constitution of the old demo game hardly seems applicable unless you plan to start electing all the folks like in the last game. This is NOT a single democracy game like the last one Constitutions such as that are relevant to the internal workings of each faction but hardly matter out here in the world government.

The only decisions that can happen out here are to do with the rules and I have stated my opinion many times that only factions should have a say on that issue.

Is this the constitution you were referring to ?? 99% of it seems inapplicable and you quite frankly don't need one.

UN CONSTITUTION

This is the constitution that we, the people of the United Nations Peacekeepers, have decided upon. In it, we have declared that we shall form a government of the people, a Democracy, in which
we shall choose who leads us. Our faction will be let by the people and for the people.

ARTICLE I: Commission Structure

Executive Branch

This is the administrative section of our faction. The Executive branch is made up of the Commissioner and the Alpha Talent. These two are required to abide by the suggestions of the directors, who represent the will of the people.

Commissioner:
Has the right of:
*Playing the game for the citizens
*Acting as he deems fit if there is an emergency
*Advising any other part of the government

Has the duties of:
*Following directors orders on there field of expertise
*Posting SAV`s and turnlogs on the forum
*Overall keeping the citizens aware of there situation.
*Holding turnchats (as long as possible) 2 times a week
*making turnthreads and keeping them updated
*Posting polls on how our bases should be named
*Serving his faction the best he can

The Commissioner shall physically play the game.

Alpha-Talent:
Has the right of:
*Acting as he deems fit if there is an emergency
*Taking over the Commissioners seat with its right and duties if the current Commissioner is somehow not available.
*Starting elections

Has the duties of:
*Posting polls he hear the peoples voice
*Posting elections polls
*Posting cabinet threads for his term
*Posting nomination threads
*Being a substitute when a goverment official is impeached or has resigned
The alpha talent is the second of the commissioner and is responsible for elections, finding out what the people want and helping the commissioner as best as his abilities let him.

Director Branch

Directors make up the directorate. Directors are elected in the area they oversee, and they have the task of informing and advising the people on our situation. They are required to conduct polls in order to interpret the people’s will. They are then to carry out that will, by giving their orders to the Commissioner.

All Directors are allowed to advise and consult with each other. They are also granted the right to petition for changes or actions from other Directors that may be critical to the their department. Ultimately, however, it is the Director in charge of his/her section that has the final say in how things are handled.

All directors will have to post their general strategies in the 'office' thread. This will outline possible situations where the commissioner can not ask for orders from the directors but will have to act on the general orders.

Director of Science:
Has the right of:
*Starting polls to ask the people what there wishes are in his area
*Ordering the Commissioner what the next researched advancement is
*Requesting buildings with the Director of buildings productions

Has the duties of:
*Listing to the will of the people in his area
*Giving his opinion to the director of foreign affairs about any talks, which effect his area, with other factions

The director of Science shall choose the advancement to research.

Director of Peacekeeping Operations:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner to move military units
*Ordering the commissioner to design military new units, disband old military units and upgrade current military units.
*Requesting buildings and military units with the Director of buildings productions.

Has the duties of:
*Giving his opinion to the director of foreign affairs about any talks, which effect his area, with other factions
*Designating a portion of his units as exploration units

May NOT:
Start wars if there hasn’t been official poll that says it is ok

The Director op Peacekeeping Operations has the control of all military units

Director of Foreign Affairs:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner on talks with foreign factions

Has the duties of:
*Maintaining good foreign connections
*Giving his opinion to the director of Exploration and Intelligence on covert ops actions
*Consulting for advice any other director if his area is being discussed with foreign factions

May not:
Declare blood truce, peace, pacts if there hasn’t been a poll saying it is ok.

The Director of Foreign Affairs will do all foreign negotiations

Director of Energy and Industry:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner to rushbuild, use money in trades, change worker placements, and move crawlers
*Requesting crawlers and buildings with the Director of buildings productions.

Has the duties of:

This Director is responsible of the treasury expenditures, worker placements, and crawlers.

Director of Terraforming and Colonisation:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner to move terraformers and colony pods
*Ordering the commissioner to design new TC units, disband old TC units and upgrade current TC units
*Requesting terraformers colony pods, and buildings with the Director of buildings productions.

Has the duties of:

Director of Expansion and Terraforming commands all colony pods and terraformers

Director of Social Engineering:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner to change the social engineering’s page

Has the duties of:
*Consulting for advice directors which are effected by changes made in the social engineering’s page

May NOT:
Change the social engineering settings if there hasn’t been a poll saying it is ok.

The Director of Social Engineering is responsible for the social engineering’s page

Director of Exploration and Intelligence:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner to move any exploration units and covert ops units
*Asking the director of Peacekeeping Operations for exploration units

Has the duties of:
*Consulting the director of Foreign Affairs during covert ops actions
*Giving back control of exploration units to the director of Peacekeeping Operations when the situation asks for it

The Director Exploration and Intelligence is command of exploration units and covert ops units.

Director of Base production:
Has the right of:
*Ordering the commissioner to build buildings and units
*Starting polls about Special Projects

Has the duties of:
*Choosing between various requests made by the directors
*Starting polls about Special Projects
*Listing to the will of the people about the Special Projects

ARTICLE II: Government policy

Amendments:
Amendments to the Constitution can be submitted by any member of our faction. First in a form of a thread where exact lines can be discussed and after that in a poll. An amendment is passed and made official by a 2/3 or greater vote on the amendment's inclusion.

Office Terms:
All office terms shall last one month. A member can run for a different office at the end of his term, but he cannot change offices during it. If a member is elected three times into any government office, that member may not run for any government office the fourth consecutive term. After the fourth term he may run for any government office that is available. If this rule let not have a fully seated government, the rule will be deemed invalid for that term.

Impeachment and Resignations:
Every member of our faction is recognised the right to bring foreword the issue of impeachment of any government official at any time. The constitutional court will look at the demand and determine if an impeachment progress has to be started within 48 hours of the impeachment demand
The rules for the poll:
*There has to be started a one-choice-poll with the options: YEA, NEA and ABSTAIN
*5 days open
* 2/3 YEA vote to pass the proposal or under 1/3 NEA vote to pass the proposal

the rules for the first post:
*The unbiased reason why the person in question could be impeached
*The job of the person in question
*The time when the poll ends

If impeachment happens the alpha talent takes his place until a new election has been held.

Every government official may resign from office the alpha talent will do the same as with impeachment. If the alpha talent has to take over 2 or more government places we will freeze the game until new elections are held.

Playing ahead:
No person is allowed to play ahead to:
*Gain information about foreign factions

Base Names:

The alpha talent or the commissioner will pick 5 names from the name thread and will put them in a poll where a name for a new city can be chosen. This poll has to be open for at least 2 days. The name with the most votes will be chosen for the base and will be scraped from the list. The same counts for landmarks. If someone wants to name a place without a landmark a poll has started about giving it a name or not. This poll will also have minimum of 2 days.

Article III: Polls

There will be 3 types of polls:
*Elections
*Official
*Unofficial

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elections:

May only be started by the alpha talent. Must have election
in the subject line. They are purely decision-making polls.

Poll:
*Office in question
*ONLY names candidates
*Abstain option (will Refrain from banana)
*Write-in-option
*3 days open

First post:
*ONLY names candidates
*Link to discussion thread
*Expire date

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official:

May only be started by a government official. Must have official in the subjectline, and must be used as information gathering or decision making

Poll:
*Abstain (will Refrain from banana)
*Write-in-option
*Minimum of 3 days
*Maximum of 7 days
*Clear and not biased question and answers

First post:
*Further explanation of the questions and answers
*Link to discussion thread (if any)
*Expire date
*Stated: information gathering or decision making

Unofficial:

May be started by all members of the faction. They are purely information gathering polls

Poll:
*Minimum of 3 days

First Post:
*Expire date (if any)
Old June 11, 2003, 12:56   #27
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:23
That's a very old version. Here you can find the updated one, still in use when we finally ended the first ACDG. After having looked over it again, the only relevant parts are the rule that a 2/3 majority is needed to make a constitutional rule or amendment, and the rules concerning official poll making:

On constitutional lawmaking:

Quote:
Amendments:
Amendments to the Constitution can be submitted by any member of our faction. First in a form of a thread where exact lines can be discussed and after that in a poll. An amendment is passed and made official by a 2/3 or greater vote on the amendment's inclusion.
On official polls:

Quote:
Official:

May only be started by a government official. Must have official in the subjectline, and must be used as information gathering or decision making

Poll:
*Abstain
*Write-in-option
*Minimum of 2 days
*Maximum of 7 days
*Clear and not biased question and answers

First post:
*Further explanation of the questions and answers
*Expire date
*Stated: information gathering or decision making
Can we at least agree on that?

Oh yes, Clause 2 of the Bill of Rights:
"No citizen shall ever be denied the right to vote in any poll."
Old June 11, 2003, 13:21   #28
Flubber
Deity

[

Oh yes, Clause 2 of the Bill of Rights:
"No citizen shall ever be denied the right to vote in any poll." [/QUOTE]

Excellent. I figured there was an updated version somewhere.

The cited sections highlight the problem. Constitutional changes require a 2/3 majority but you admit that the old constitution is inapplicable. There is no WORLD constitution to amend. And the clear wording, "amendments can be submitted by any member of our faction" clearly contemplated that all people under the constitution are of one faction.

POllS

Official ones can only be started by government officials of which there are NONE. All the ones in the previous constitution are applicable only to the democracy games going on INSIDE each faction

BILL of RIGHTS

Legal rights come from and flow through a nation state. Each faction governs themsmselves through their own constitution (or lack of constitution). Obviously a citizen can only ever vote on things related to the faction they are a citizen of.

There has been a fundamental change from the last game. Part of the politics is that nation-states demand rights as nation-states and at an international level are not willing to have less votes at the UN simply due to less population.

All in all, the constitution is a good guideline for how to run a faction.

Edit add--- But a world constitution is hardly needed, merely an idea of how disputes will be handled, if they arise

--------------------------------------------------------

Arrgh this pirate captain knows nothing of yer sissified constitution and such. I will 'ave to consult me brother captains to see wut they says . . . but me two pieces of eight says that the Piartes are the equal of any nation and we won't be abidin by some police state rules, growin' people in test tubes to make more Hive babies. The only proper way is by wenching wit the lovely lasses.

Last edited by Flubber; June 11, 2003 at 13:34.
Old June 11, 2003, 13:31   #29
Flubber
Deity

People may be losing sight of the fact of how very little actual decisions will be made at the world level. The game will be mostly played at a factional level and only rules questions and disputes would be handled out here.

I am proposing a model similar to the united nations where one state gets one vote and the only veto goes to googlie. I don't see that as being unrealistic as it is the way that earth works. ( ON a practical level I would be totally happy to have googlie decide ALL rule issues and any disputes but on a roleplaying level I thought the fun of a demo game is to have the factions act as factions on world decisions)

I also see this debate as being totally in character on all sides. The populous nation wants more clout while the less populous harp on the sovereignty and rights of the individual states. I thought arguing over this stuff was the point of a "democracy game"

Jamski long ago proposed a Planetary council with a single ambassador from each nation. I thought that this was a great idea.
Old June 11, 2003, 13:46   #30
Snowflake
Princess

Ok, let me try one more time. How about we set up two polls, one for one head one vote, one for one faction one vote, with the same options: onve head one vote, one faction one vote.

Now if both polls favor one result, we go with that one. If they differ, then we argue some more. I realize that it is kind of redundant and bothersome, but we are not going anywhere anyway.

Plus, it's a perfect opportunity for me to learn how to create a poll.

Grapefruit Garden