Old June 10, 2003, 21:59   #1
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Map of the known World
Just a thought, and because I am new to this "Democracy" type of game, I am sure it isn't a new thought, but it is new for me.

I am having trouble visualizing the game, even though the posted screenshots by the President and the Ministers are great (the Polyticians?).

I have spliced together the map from 1300 AD from one of the threads, and though I can't find a more up to date map (yet ) I would like to get a map after every turn, I just hope the picture isn't too big to add as an attachment.

btw, if either another map exists to enable me to attach the Northeast map (I could not find a square on Northeast and on the other maps to join them) or if an updated map exists, I will happily refresh this.

(Hmm, the attachment didn't work, editing now )
Old June 10, 2003, 22:07   #2
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

100 AD: (The Shady Years)

[img]http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Spa...ldMap100AD.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; July 8, 2003 at 00:11.
Old June 11, 2003, 00:37   #3
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk
Old June 11, 2003, 09:22   #4
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Thanks HTower.
Thats what I was trying to do!
Old June 11, 2003, 14:28   #5
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

you need to place the [ img] [ /img] tags around the link for the picture
Old June 17, 2003, 21:38   #6
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

725 bc:
Old June 17, 2003, 23:36   #7
CannonFodder
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontMac
Prince

Local Time: 21:25
When you guys take the screenshots could you please turn off the grid? It makes it hard to see when it is so small.
Former Imperial Expansion Minister of the first Civ2 Democracy Game
Old June 18, 2003, 08:05   #8
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 21:25
Quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder
When you guys take the screenshots could you please turn off the grid? It makes it hard to see when it is so small.
What? I like the grid! Lets you guess how much turns will it take to go somewere.
Old June 18, 2003, 09:03   #9
Zedd
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 23:25
I agree with john, the grid makes it fast and simple to see your city's radius and to count movement rate. Of course you can do this without the grit but the difference is the ease of use.
Grid lines.
Old June 21, 2003, 18:10   #10
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

I third that vote, it was much easier to paste together the maps when there were gridlines (though I should take this opportunity to thank Cavebear, this map is very complete, he obviously took the time to ensure that the entire map was shown in his screen shots, Thank You ) Plus it is easier to count spaces with the gridlines.

Old June 23, 2003, 02:46   #11
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nice looking.... perhaps you could have two versions of the map - one that size and you could click on it for the full size, normal zoom map.

PM me if you need to know how to do this.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 23, 2003, 13:59   #12
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 19:25
That would be cool. You'd just need to create a hyperlink that looks like the small map linking to the large map, am I correct?

BB
Old June 28, 2003, 02:34   #13
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Attempting this a new way, with the smaller version displayed and a larger (more detailed version in a link at the bottom of the map). No promises that this will work, but I am certain you will all point it out to me if it doesn't

Larger more detailed map
Old June 28, 2003, 02:38   #14
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Hmm, didn't work the way I wanted it to, hopefully you get the idea at least.

Oh, on another note, the North east portion doesn't link up with the rest of the map, just missing a few squares I think.

Sparrowhawk
Citizen
Old June 28, 2003, 12:04   #15
H Tower

there's a gap between the east and west portion of the north-east piece, but it overlaps with the piece below it.
Old June 28, 2003, 13:14   #16
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

I noticed that too, but it almost seems as though the piece below it is of a different scale. The Northern Piece is smaller scale then the Southern (rest of map) so I was unable to piece them together.
Old June 28, 2003, 14:52   #17
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

That's odd about the NE corner; I don't know how that happened. I can't recall doing anything that would have changed the scale in the Civ2 program, so it must be something I did in Paint without realizing it.

In any case, there is nothing of importance in the gap.

But I would like to thank Sparrowhawk for another fine effort in producing a cohesive map for the benefit of all of us! The Known World map is helpful to everyone, but it been of assistance to me, specifically. I print out the map on large paper on the color printer at work and keep it beside me as I play the session. It's easier to keep the distances in mind as I play.

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 29, 2003, 23:13   #18
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Hmm... interesting how that didn't work out.... if I win the Foreign Affairs job I will try that way when I get the save. It works for me in Civ3, no reason why it shouldn't here.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old July 8, 2003, 00:14   #19
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

I have attached a zoomed out image of the entire world to the second post of this thread. Don't look at it if you are looking for detail, as you won't get it there, just an overall view of the world as we know it.

I hope to add a larger detail map soon, but no promises as to when.

Sparrowhawk
Minister of Science
Part Time Cartographer (300 years and we discovered three new sciences, we tend to have a lot of free time)

FYI: New sciences this past turn...Monotheism, Bridge Building, Chemistry

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; July 8, 2003 at 01:11.
Old July 10, 2003, 01:26   #20
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 20:25
Looks good
Doing a map like this looks much better without the gridlines, and it isn't that much harder to line up the mosaic. It also helps to add in more legible city names.

Perhaps we could make a set of terrain .gifs designed specifically for viewing while zoomed out.
Old July 12, 2003, 20:33   #21
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

Trying again with the two sized map (small displayed, large attached as link). Didn't work very well last time, but hopefully it works better this time.

Sparrowhawk

Click here for the larger more detailed map