MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 04:25
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
I also have a friend living in a house without latchlocks, and he never locks the door. Simple reason : it doesn't hamper theft, and it feels much freeer (indeed)
No, it doesn't hamper theft, just the insurance company's willingness to pay for it.

We've got both kinds
Old June 11, 2003, 07:42   #32
Grrr
Civilization III Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 16:25
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I look my room ... but that is because my flat is a train station for hundreds of dodgy people.

I should really get a biohazard suit for when I go out there.
Old June 11, 2003, 08:27   #33
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 05:25
I lock the door to my room because I'm in a shared apartment together with loads of guys.

Not when I'm at home, but I do it at night when I sleep, sometimes when I **** and definitely when I'm out.

Masturbating with an unlocked door in a crowded flat is quite an experience, though
Old June 11, 2003, 08:28   #34
Ecthy
Emperor

It is closed though then, of course
Old June 11, 2003, 08:30   #35
C0ckney
King

i lock my door, everyone in my flat does, because the funniest game at the moment is waiting for someone to go out with their door unlocked and then move/hide all their stuff. one guy had his whole room moved into the kitchen the other week, i had my curtains nicked when i went out on the lash last month and another guy had his bed put outside perfectly made up and everything, ah the fun of uni...

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old June 11, 2003, 08:30   #36
Ecthy
Emperor

Old June 11, 2003, 08:33   #37
MikeH
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-League
OTF Moderator

When I was at uni halls some people used to do that to other people who lived on their floor... only they moved every bit of furniture including beds etc and put it in the lift then sent it on it's merry way up and down the tower.

We've got both kinds
Old June 11, 2003, 08:35   #38
Ecthy
Emperor

my room is quite untidy too
Old June 11, 2003, 09:05   #39
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Local Time: 03:25
I have four locks on my door, not counting the lock on the screen door. I always lock my door. For some reason the alley my apartment faces is the meeting point for most of the crack dealers and male prostitutes in Birmingham and my driveway is incredibly dark. Strange cars and people around all the time.
Old June 11, 2003, 09:11   #40
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:25
Don't lock the door to the room that I stay.

I have less stuff than the other boarders who live here, and I'm a good friend of the owner.

The door into the house gets locked when no one is inside, though I don't touch the door even when I'm the only person inside.
Old June 12, 2003, 04:31   #41
Fve Crathva
Warlord

Local Time: 20:25
Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Which window do you use?
I only have one window. I don't use it though, I'm on the third floor. I consider opening my door not to be unlocking it. To get in, I enter my liquid form and slip under the door.

SP
Old June 12, 2003, 04:59   #42
Worthingtons
Prince

Local Time: 03:25
Great Film/Documentary is that, I also found it quite fascinating since we in the UK always lock our doors too, and we dont go round machine gunning each other like the Americans either.
Old June 12, 2003, 05:11   #43
Q Classic
Emperor

yes, because it's an automatic thing, internalized.

i was taught to do it, and so i do.
Old June 12, 2003, 06:01   #44
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 11:25
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
I always lock my doors. Always.

I've had a distraction burglary (kid comes round the front while his mate goes round the back) and I'm determined not to repeat the experience.
That sucks. I've never heard of this one before. Is it common where you live? What did they steal? How long did the kid at the front door keep you distracted?

Not that I need to worry about it. I doubt any kid would be able to climb up 18 storeys to get in my back window.
Old June 12, 2003, 09:37   #45
Gangerolf
Prince

I don't lokck it when I'm inside but always when I go out. I usually lock it at night too.
Old June 12, 2003, 11:00   #46
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai

That sucks. I've never heard of this one before. Is it common where you live? What did they steal? How long did the kid at the front door keep you distracted?

Not that I need to worry about it. I doubt any kid would be able to climb up 18 storeys to get in my back window.
They didn't steal much - just a jacket containing my entire stash of cigarette papers. Sentimental value only (the jacket that is - a gift from my Dad).

At the time, I didn't have a cat flap, so left the back door open when the cat was out (and I was in). Now I have a cat flap (and the cat loves it) so it's not really an issue any more. The joys of ground floor flats - although I'm glad it's me and not some defenceless old lady.

As for the distraction time, maybe 2 minutes? The kid at the front had a line of sight on the back door so he could see when he could stop play acting.

Yep, pretty common occurrence in my area - all though things are quieter now the local crime family has been locked up (guns, heroin, prostitution).

One down, a dozen to go.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 12, 2003, 11:07   #47
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
Well I have to lock my door because it gets locked by default. Though in my parents house, door is never locked, except when there's no one there. Well, backdoor is open all the time, even when there's no one there. Same with all the people I know, no one locks their doors while they're IN the house. That's kind of weird to lock your door, lock yourself in.

However my mom locks her door in the US all the time. She didn't want to do that, but one time there was a stranger in her living room, so .. after that incident she decided to listen and lock the damn doors at all times .
Now she also has a dog and a baseball bat. People change I guess .
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old June 12, 2003, 11:51   #48
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I always lock the door (to the outside), when leaving house, or going to sleep, when living downtown, this is needed...

Back in the days as I lived in a smaller town, we never locked our car (We locked the door to the house though)
Old June 12, 2003, 15:34   #49
Solly
Emperor

Are you daft? Gets locked all the time. If it's unlocked, back room door is open to listen out (say if someone is due home).
Old June 12, 2003, 16:15   #50
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 23:25
I never lock my door. If someone is so desperate that they are willing to break the law because they need something of mine to survive, then go ahead and take it. Watch your karma, though....

Life is about relationships not objects. I accumulate objects but I don't have a significant attachment to anything I own.
Old June 12, 2003, 16:35   #51
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

when I go to class, or leave for a long time I lock my door, but that's basicly because I live in a big building that is accessible to anyone (the floor underneath my place is an aula, so hundreds of people get in and out my building everyday...)

it wouldn't do much good though, if I really wanted I could just break into my own place by kicking the door (and not even hurting myself )
Old June 12, 2003, 16:54   #52
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 06:25
Feephi, where do you live?
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old June 12, 2003, 23:05   #53
LulThyme

Wow
in my family we never locked any door except if there was nobody home, even at night....

Old June 13, 2003, 00:28   #54
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

When I dormed in school, I locked my room, but we didnt lock the suite door.

(On the living room theres was only an old TV not worth ur effort and a fridge that always had no food in it. )

Leaving the living room open allows guests to freely come in. If you want privacy you can still go into ur own room.
Old June 13, 2003, 00:30   #55
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 19:25
Hell yeah I lock all my doors are you crazy there are all sorts of thugs out there...

Mis Novias
Old June 13, 2003, 11:34   #56
mindseye
King

Local Time: 11:25
My apartment has uniformed guards (two to five or them on duty 24/7 to cover one doorway), keypad access to the elevator lobby, then a deadbolt on the apt door. It all seems rather silly, the crime rate is laughably low here. For example, folks hang their laundry in places where any pedestrian could walk off with it, and vendors routinely place merchandise on the sidewalks ahead of their store, often completely unattended. Women can walk alone at night in the darkest of alleys.

This is a very strange thing about Shanghai - even though it's China's largest city, it's also one of the safest. Imagine if New York City was one of the quietest, safest places to live in the US.

There is joke here that when you see an apartment way up at the twentieth storey with cages and bars over the windows, you know someone from Hong Kong owns it.
Old June 13, 2003, 16:39   #57
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

I don't think Feephi lives on the same planet as us...
Old June 13, 2003, 16:41   #58
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Locks only deter honest people anyway.
I lock and load.
Old June 13, 2003, 16:58   #59
Al B. Sure!
Emperor

my mother was always real paranoid about locking the doors in our apartment though... locking the handle lock and the heavy duty lock above it everytime she left the apt (and putting on the chain lock when she was at home)... it made no sense to me though because it's an apartment building! what is the chances that someone would go up a couple floors and just happen to choose our unlocked apt. to break into?

thanks
Old June 13, 2003, 17:08   #60
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:25
It depends on the area. If it's a bad area then I'll lock my car doors if not then the windows stay down. At home my room mate locks the front door at night but I don't bother.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.