Old June 11, 2003, 11:56   #1
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 03:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AARs....
I've started three on the Paradox board. One died a premature death (corrupted HD), and the other two....I dunno...they're just not getting it done for me. I think that part of the problem is the fact that you gotta jump thru a lot of hoops to put images into the AAR, and I like images....I just don't want to have to go thru a lot of rigamarole to get them included.

So....I'm thinking I'll start a new AAR here....an image-friendly board. It's got the makings of a good story, and I'm more accustomed to writing here anyway....just....thinking out loud for the moment....will play this latest game out a bit further to see where and how it's going, but it's looking like a keeper so far!

-=Vel=-

EDIT: VH/N with Lorraine, 1.07 beta (the second to the last beta).

Game goals:

1) To survive (not so easy as Lorraine)
2) To control all my cultural provinces (basically, every french/german province in europe), and ONLY those provinces. I'll allow myself colonization, but will not seek territorial gains against any territory that's not French or German culture.
3) No cheats or abusive use of loopholes
4) No bankrupcies
5) Repay any loans taken on time (no extensions)
6) To tell a good story

The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Velociryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2003, 14:27   #2
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 19:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Go get em Vel.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:44   #3
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 05:26
I'll follow it with interest. Nvver read an AAR with Lorraine. Go conquer!

But what will you do if one of the countries you have to take to fullfill your goal about owning cultural territories(with capital in one of them), have other territories not of your culture? It's not as you can realese all of them as vassal countries I'd guess.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2003, 15:31   #4
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Thought about that! Savoie, for example, has one French, and one Italian province.

If possible, I'm going to arrange to "lose" a war and give up those provinces as part of the peace....if not, I'll try to come as close as I can to meeting my goal, with a few "extraneous" cultures tossed into the mix.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:56   #5
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
Bah, follow in my footsteps as I lead Bavaria to a glorious Balkan and Turkish empire at the expense of the weak and decadent Ottoman Empire.
Old June 11, 2003, 16:16   #6
Nikolai
Deity

Maybe you should make an AAR of thet too? A more "professional" AAR than the summary you've given us untill now, if you understand what I mean.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Old June 11, 2003, 23:26   #7
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 13:26
Vel:

Arrange it so when warring someone like Savoy, that one of your allies peace out with the "extra" prov, then you annex the capital. That way you get the French prov, and your ally gets the non-French.

Or, Arrange it so that in the siege, you leave just before claiming it so your ally gets it. That way, in the second war, you get the capital. Heaps of ways around having to lose a war.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2003, 13:46   #8
Victor Galis
Emperor

AARs take time, and when I sleep 10 hours a day, and work another 8, that doesn't leave much time for playing, eating, getting to work, etc.
Old June 12, 2003, 15:04   #9
Velociryx
staff

Ohhhhh this game ROCKS! I definitely see AAR potential here! Last night I played through an *intense* war (can't say with whom, or what the outcome was, cos it'd spoil the read later), and have mapped out my plans for recovery and (hopefully) eventual dominance! If I can avoid war for a handful of years and just kina lay low, I think I'm well positioned to grow...

-=Vel=-
(Duke of Lorraine, Scourge of the German Minors, Bane of Burgundy, Shield of France)
Old June 12, 2003, 15:34   #10
Nikolai
Deity

The words "outcome" and "recovery" do however give us some clues... Are you going for WC, since you are afraid of China as Lorraine?
Old June 12, 2003, 17:18   #11
Velociryx
staff

Nope...I definitely wanna refrain from WC (just the French/German cultural provinces, plus whatever I can colonize), but if anybody tries to ruin my party, I'll sure be happy to stomp them into oblivion (or, run like hell and let my allies do it, which was kina what I did at the start of the aforementioned war...LOL)....you shoulda seen it! (well, actually you will! I took a screenie! 160k troops marching against my 38k...EGADS!~

-=Vel=-
Old June 12, 2003, 19:59   #12
Dale
Emperor

And where is this afore-mentioned screenie?
Old June 13, 2003, 01:31   #13
Velociryx
staff

Well, since you asked for it, here's a sneak preview of the AAR I'll soon be starting!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	the army or lorraine flees in terror.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	47642  
Old June 13, 2003, 01:34   #14
Velociryx
staff

A quick count of the armies of Pfalz, Cologne, and Burgundy will reveal exactly how dire the straits were on the opening days of the war....

-=Vel=-
Old June 13, 2003, 02:35   #15
Dale
Emperor

If there's one leader I hate the most in EU2, it's Phillipe of Burgundy!!!!!!

The amount of times he's kicked my butt is not funny. But oh, doesn't it feel good to hit "annex" on Burgundy.

BTW, looks like you're doing pretty good so far. I'm going to start a new Moscow game tonight, and I'll let you know how it goes. I think I'll war the "protestant" path and get Norway's maps to find America...... *musings*
Old June 13, 2003, 12:06   #16
Velociryx
staff

Agreed....I swear the computer cheats in favor of Burgundy....they're....uncanny.

Fortunately, the war that followed the screenshot above, while certainly tense (given the disparity of numbers, me:them), was not as brutal as it could have been. Had our enemies wished to, they could have parked a 20-25k army in every province I owned and simply erased me. They did not (much to my relief), and in fact, seemed dangerously fascinated with Lux (130k troops piled into the siege there, which took more than a year, and the attrition worked their armies over).

Still, when you're a little guy (as I am in the picture shown), the sight of nearly 200k troops converging on your positions is....terrifying....

-=Vel=-

PS: And yes!@ Lemme know how it goes! I played the Rus a few times....intriguing area!
Old June 13, 2003, 12:32   #17
Victor Galis
Emperor

The AI certainly needs some work. It seems to love attrition. It loves to send 60k troops into a province that can support like 10k. This is most annoying when Austria sends all their armies into a province which I am besieging calmly with my 10k men, slowly wearing down the defenders. Suddenly, I lose like half my army to attrition thanks to my allies' "help."
Old June 13, 2003, 18:39   #18
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Funny I always assumed Pfalz would be called Palatinate ( meanign all Countries would be translated ;=) )

For a serious Attrition game try playing Tibet vs China
Old June 14, 2003, 13:00   #19
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 19:26
Cologn is also called Koln.
Old June 14, 2003, 19:39   #20
Victor Galis
Emperor

The game calls the country Cologne, but the province is labeled Koeln (can't figure out umlauts on laptop keyboard).

I am known as Bavaria, but my capital province is Bayern. My first African colony is called New Bayern. I think they just got lazy and stopped translating halfway though.