Old June 11, 2003, 13:59   #1
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Local Time: 04:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Why is the USA so afraid of little Belgium ?
On the news today:
The US wants to relocate NATO headquarters from Brussels to another NATO country.
The reason for this is some people that want to sue general Franks for war crimes in Irak, and they want to do this in Belgium, because of special Belgian anti-genocide laws.

I mean, what do they think they can achieve with this ?

More info here
Old June 11, 2003, 14:00   #2
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 03:27
If the US has nothing to hide, then let him be arrested and tried.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:00   #3
Giancarlo
King

Local Time: 00:27
There weren't any war crimes in Iraq committed by General Franks. So Belgium is engaging in a little slander campaign. So what is the problem with the US moving its base elsewhere?
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:01   #4
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 22:27
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I can see war crimes if it turned out the guy really targeted civilians (which I doubt), but genocide? These people must be far more high than I originally anticipated.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:02   #5
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
It rhymes!

Seriously, though, that's pretty silly. We can extradite and arrest anybody from any country without any evidence on suspicion of war crimes? Shouldn't there be some evidence presented first? Otherwise, it's just a political stunt.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:04   #6
Giancarlo
King

You know.. actually.. what is Belgium trying to accomplish to try a US military general? What is it trying to do? Spit at the US even more? It is just politics. Nothing of true substance.

Move along.
Lets face it. We flamiing queers have more appeal then Pat Robertson and other religious wackos. We have shows that are really growing in popularity. We have more channels (Q TV, Logo Channel). And we help people in their style issues (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy). The last thing I saw a religious preacher did was ask for $5 in a "generous pledge" to help his bank account in Zurich, erhm, some starving kids in Zimbabwe.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:07   #7
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Re: Why is the USA so afraid of little Belgium ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Flandrien
It's all politics... If they want to play their silly little games, the US will play theirs as well.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:13   #8
Flandrien
Civilization III PBEMIron Civers
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Fez
So Belgium is engaging in a little slander campaign.
A common misconception: Belgium is playing the part of judge, not of prosecutor.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:18   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:27
Quote:
Tommy Franks: war criminal

Belgian lawyer Jan Fermon, working with the Stop USA Coalition--Stop United States of Aggression--brought charges against the Pentagon on May 13, using Belgium's 1993 legislation dealing with war crimes and genocide.

A Stop USA Coalition document explains, "The complaint is directed against soldiers--who are not identified at this stage--who have committed war crimes. It mentions Gen. Tommy Franks in particular for ordering war crimes and for not preventing others from committing them or for providing protection to the perpetrators.
Yep, figured as much.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:21   #10
Cruddy
Warlord

Arem't elephants afraid of mice? (Nah, probably a myth).

I think the real target isn't Franks.

I reckon it's Ariel Sharon - but don't quote me, because putting a soldier on trial is one thing. Putting a head of state on trial is a completely different kettle of fish.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 11, 2003, 14:23   #11
Worthingtons
Prince

'Old Europe' cannot be trusted anymore, it's not a matter of this one fella but as someone else said International politics. What Happened last century needs to be forgotten - France,Belgium and Germany are no Allies of ours and therefore should have the headquarters of our 'alliance'.
The Nato headquarters should be in the UK.
Old June 11, 2003, 14:49   #12
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:27
hi ,

they should build the new nato and shape on Malta

they allready have 400 000 unemployed and 40 000 each new year on a working pop of +- 3 750 000 , a couple more for them shall not hurt , .....

luxembourg seems a great new place also , ...

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 14:51   #13
Defiant
King

I am all for it, lets move the Belgium headquarters, UN to France, our Forces in Germany to Poland and our forces in S.Korea to Iraq, fair is fair man.

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell
Old June 11, 2003, 14:57   #14
Whaleboy
Prince

Like I said, if they have nothing to hide, then they should face it like men, instead of running away. If they are shown to have NOT committed war crimes, think of the political capital gained!
Old June 11, 2003, 14:59   #15
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

We shouldnt care where NATOHQ is, we should just get outa NATO.
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:01   #16
Defiant
King

Elijah,
You don't get it. Americans would be targeted for no other reason then being American, we have a big fat target on our ass and other countries would love to hammer some of our boys, there would be no fair trials.
Not as long a countries like Libya and Cuba sit on United Nation Human Rights committees, c'mon the whole thing is a flippin joke.

Old June 11, 2003, 15:04   #17
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
Originally posted by Worthingtons
France,Belgium and Germany are no Allies of ours and therefore should have the headquarters of our 'alliance'.
Funny, the last time I checked, France, Belgium and Germany were still in Nato and would have some kind of say in this. If anything, Nato headquarters should be moved EAST towards the center of the alliance bceause it's been expanding eastward
Old June 11, 2003, 15:04   #18
Whaleboy
Prince

If it was not a fair trial, the Americans would raise hell. Also, the US would hire its best and brightest to win, so it wont be a fair trial, but in the other direction. Besides, theyre creating more suspicion by staying away.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:07   #19
Defiant
King

It doesnt' matter what we hire if it is a kangaroo court and hit would be, raising all the hell in the world won't help the sacraficial lambs and I am not about to let the boys who die for this country become someone else's puppet, we will take care of our own if they do wrong.

Old June 11, 2003, 15:08   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:27
Quote:
We have nothing to hide, but, neither do we have any confidience in what is obviously a politically motivated kangoroo court.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:09   #21
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

here is a simple solution
nato and shape out of belgium , belgium out of nato and shape

lets see the next time they come crying for us for a c-5 to transport some troops to africa , ......

have a nice day
Old June 11, 2003, 15:11   #22
Lazerus
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStates
King

Even if/when the US won you know there'd be just a deadly silence afterwards and everybody would forget about it. However if the US lost they can expect to be reminded about it for the next 35years so its pretty obvious why they'd rather just pretend belgium doesn't exist since it most likely won't on any decent maps made in the US
Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:11   #23
Oerdin
Deity

I say we pass our own law making it illegal for foreign courts to tie US citizens for war crime or crimes against humanity. We can make it a 20 year sentence to try and that way we can start hounding the leftist scum as well as they can our boys.

Two can play the extra territoriality game.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:12   #24
Giancarlo
King

Quote:
If it was not a fair trial, the Americans would raise hell. Also, the US would hire its best and brightest to win, so it wont be a fair trial, but in the other direction. Besides, theyre creating more suspicion by staying away.
Forget it. No trial is necessary because the US did nothing wrong in invading Iraq.. especially not Franks. If there is something this court should be preparing for is perhaps some Iraqi Republican Guard generals or something?
Old June 11, 2003, 15:13   #25
Colon™
Emperor

Re: Re: Why is the USA so afraid of little Belgium ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming

It's all politics... If they want to play their silly little games, the US will play theirs as well.
What games are we playing Ming? Don't tell me you can't make a distinction between prosecutor and judge.

If there's anything politicised about this case it's because we sent it to your military tribunals.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:15   #26
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Re: Why is the USA so afraid of little Belgium ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Flandrien
They might want thier officials to visit NATO headquarters without dieing from laughter brought on by the thought of such asanine charges.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:17   #27
Oerdin
Deity

Re: Re: Re: Why is the USA so afraid of little Belgium ?
Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
What games are we playing Ming? Don't tell me you can't make a distinction between prosecutor and judge.

If there's anything politicised about this case it's because we sent it to your military tribunals.
Can you name a single person tried by a military tribunal in the US since the Nazi sabatuers in 1944? I didn't think so especially since one hasn't occured. All Bush has done is point out that under the Geneva & Hague conventions Tribunals are expressly permited.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:18   #28
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 23:27
Quote:
Even if/when the US won you know there'd be just a deadly silence afterwards and everybody would forget about it. However if the US lost they can expect to be reminded about it for the next 35years
Bingo. It's lose/lose for the US. I would add this: even if/when the US won, anything "questionable" that was raised at the trial would be harped on for a decade or three as well.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:19   #29
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Sure. Come on and get Tommy. He's had worse on his danged eyeball.
Old June 11, 2003, 15:21   #30
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Worthingtons
'Old Europe' cannot be trusted anymore, it's not a matter of this one fella but as someone else said International politics. What Happened last century needs to be forgotten - France,Belgium and Germany are no Allies of ours and therefore should have the headquarters of our 'alliance'.
France is no ally of yours.....So of course France didn't save Americans in Liberia.

Instead it was....um....JESUS!!!! JESUS came down and brought forth the holy Americans from the Garden of Liberia, and brought them up to heaven, and smited the French for not rescuing them!!! Thats it....Yeah