Old June 12, 2003, 13:17   #1
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Is American Culture Being Overwhelmed By Foreign Cultures?
I don't know about the rest of you, but I live in America. Everyday, I see gradual eradication of American culture by foreign cultures. You can't drive down and city or town road anymore without seeing twenty Chinese restaurants. Speaking of food, how come everyone will say, "Let's go out for Chinese, Italian, Mexican, etc."?However, no one ever says, "Let's go out for American." They'll say, "lets go to McDonalds" instead placing the food in cultural obscurity.

Where else but America (and possibly Canadia) can you find so many culturally distinct districts within nearly every major city? We've got China Town, Little Italies, Japanese Lands, and Harlem. Where is America Burb?

Go to many of our major universities. You'll find that many of the students enrolled are not Americans. They'll go to class and listen to lectures in English, but look at their notes. They're all in scribbles and wingdings.

In addition, many of the foreign people who work at said universities don't even celebrate the holidays here. They'll work on Good Friday and New Year's Day. Oh, they'll celebrate the New Year but in February.

The worst of all is that there is hardly anything American left here anymore. Nearly everything is made overseas. Our clothing is made in China and Taiwan. Our cars are made in Japan. I once even saw an American flag made in Singapore.

So help save American culture before it is lost to the ages.

Last edited by DaShi; June 12, 2003 at 15:39.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:18   #2
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 05:31
what american culture?

(obvious )
Old June 12, 2003, 13:19   #3
DaShi
Emperor

Exactly!
Old June 12, 2003, 13:20   #4
BeBro
Emperor

Can´t help you, ask Boddingtons
Old June 12, 2003, 13:22   #5
HershOstropoler
Settler

Local Time: 04:31
Whatever happened to America's cultural domination of the world?
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old June 12, 2003, 13:25   #6
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Dashi is leftist so he always plays himself as the victim.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:25   #7
BeBro
Emperor

The US is being overrun by foreign cultural imperialism.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:27   #8
DaShi
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Dashi is leftist so he always plays himself as the victim.
Because I am the victim of a heartless society controlled by foreigners and corporations and religion and aliens!
Old June 12, 2003, 13:28   #9
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
They're all in scribbles and wingdings.
That is so true!

Tell you what. What makes America great is immigration, and the fact that there are these many nationalities mingled into an amalgum of culture that is American culture...

I have been ridiculed by people who say America has no culture, and I have been yelled at by people who say that America's culture is overbearing... Some people are stupid.

I am just happy to live in a country where I can get cultural foods made by cultural people. American culture is still alive; just go to a sporting event and you will see it, go to sports bar, or even an Irish bar, and you will see it... Get out of the big cities, and you will find it...
Old June 12, 2003, 13:31   #10
MRT144
inmate
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 20:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
god bless foriegn culture for without it i would surely starve
Old June 12, 2003, 13:31   #11
Worthingtons
Prince

Quote:
Is American Culture Being Overwhelmed By Foreign Cultures?
No, but English Culture is.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:33   #12
BeBro
Emperor

For English food that doesn´t seem too bad
Old June 12, 2003, 13:37   #13
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 22:31
Re: Is American Culture Being Overwhelmed By Foreign Cultures?
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
I don't know about the rest of you, but I live in America. Everyday, I see gradual eradication of American culture by foreign cultures. You can't drive down and city or town road anymore without seeing twenty Chinese restaurants. Speaking of food, how come everyone will say, "Let's go out for Chinese, Italian, Mexican, etc."?However, no one ever says, "Let's go out for American." They'll say, "lets go to McDonalds" instead placing the food in cultural obscurity.
If Micky D's passes for US culture, than this is a good thing. Perhaps US culture is precisely putting all of this variety together on the same street?

Quote:
Where else but America (and possibly Canadia) can you find so many culturally distinct districts within nearly every major city? We've got China Town, Little Italies, Japanese Lands, and Harlem. Where is America Burb?
Harlem? Harlem is pure US!

Quote:
The worst of all is that there is hardly anything American left here anymore. Nearly everything is made overseas. Our clothing is made in China and Taiwan. Our cars are made in Japan. I once even say an American flag made in Singapore.
Uh, Americans want inexpensive goods. Sweathshops churn out goods with low overhead and labor costs. Sweatshops are against the law in the US. The conclusion is forgone. Next time look for the union label.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:44   #14
Adalbertus
Prince

I'd wonder if more than 1/5th of the restaurants in Germany offer mostly German food. Lots of Italian, Greek, Turkish stuff and McDonalds. To a good part it is that German personnel is too expensive (save students ...), and south European restaurants are family business. But I think this is an enrichment. After our weekly choir repetitions, we went to a Czech/German (owner Czeh, husband German) restaurant, since they moved to a Palestinian offering a good mixture of Arab and Greek food (his wife is Greek). After the concerts in our usual locations, we go to an Italian, German, or Greek restaurant. That's interesting.

Most songs in radio or TV are American. This is too much, but I've heard German pop music sucks. In classical music, there is a good representation of German music (and listening to French classical music broadcasts, I felt almost in Germany ).

Cultures never are static and are almost always on the way to absorb foreign influence. American culture is a direct product of a mixture of a lot of cultures. The same holds for the French, German, English, Italian, Spanish ... "culture" in a way that I prefer to understand all of them as dialects of a European culture.

Don't complain but perform your own culture. It's up to you. It's not foreigners who destroy American culture by following their own but it's Americans who do so by not following it. (Applicable to any culture.)
Old June 12, 2003, 13:48   #15
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

The whole place is totally wierded out.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:49   #16
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 22:31
Who cares? Let other nations fret over their precious culture. America is practically defined by its lack of cultural trappings. Revering one's culture inevitably involves backward looking "golden age" nostalgia. Ah the good old days. Rubbish! Wipe it all clean. The best is yet to come.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:51   #17
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 20:31
American culture is made up of foreign cultures. How can they be destroying something of which they are a part?
Old June 12, 2003, 13:53   #18
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
The worst of all is that there is hardly anything American left here anymore.
There wasn't anything "American" to begin with, unless you were referring to its native peoples.

I think the fact that there is no one distinctive core culture can only be a strength.

edit for NO
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:53   #19
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Re: Is American Culture Being Overwhelmed By Foreign Cultures?
Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
However, no one ever says, "Let's go out for American." They'll say, "lets go to McDonalds" instead placing the food in cultural obscurity.
The day people in the US say "let's go out for American" rather than "let's go to McDonalds" is the day where your culture would be marginal, at least about food.
The day the American people say "let's go see an American movie" rather than "let's go see the latest Spielberg" is the day where American culture will be overwhelmed by foreign cultures in cinema...

If it happened to you, you wouldn't write this post as a joke, you can bet on it.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:54   #20
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Who cares? Let other nations fret over their precious culture. America is practically defined by its lack of cultural trappings. Revering one's culture inevitably involves backward looking "golden age" nostalgia. Ah the good old days. Rubbish! Wipe it all clean. The best is yet to come.

I don't think so. Older culture of many nations is not a "trap" ( ) but a precious well from where water can be drawn to water modern trees of cultural expression.

You just don't have that well

Seriously, french artists can draw from the revolution archives for example and create something new that does have a source to something old.

To have nothing behind you is a curse not a blessing, this is self evident.

Of course cultures are like attached bottles, they flow freely between themselves.

So an american can also have access to said french revolution written archives and make something new out of them. ( 5 bucks it will be a new joke about france but anyway)
Old June 12, 2003, 13:57   #21
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Exactly....it's already been said before but American culture IS the intermixing of the rest. That's why it's called the "melting pot."

It's also why it can't be "destroyed" per se, because it doesn't really exist as an entity unto itself (ie - the only way to destroy American culture is to destroy the cultures of every nationality who's ever immigrated here, which, I would imagine, covers most, if not all).

It's also rather funny when people argue from the other perspective, that "American culture" is taking over the world. So? If it's an amalgum of every culture (yours included)...who cares? Surely there are bigger fish to fry than that?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 12, 2003, 13:59   #22
Bereta_Eder
Settler

because unfortunately it is often reduced to the least common denominator

(a curse for all mass media products really, not just american)
Old June 12, 2003, 14:01   #23
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BeBro
For English food that doesn´t seem too bad
"To eat well in England you should have breakfast three times a day." - W. Somerset Maugham
Old June 12, 2003, 14:03   #24
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

the thing is, Patty Cakes, is even IF "American culture" spreads to every corner of the globe, it's not like it subverts or destroys the "parent culture" (if it did, it could not exist in the first place), so what's the trouble? Enjoy both, or enjoy one, ignore the other.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 12, 2003, 14:06   #25
HershOstropoler
Settler

I don't see either how american culture could destroy european culture. That's a ridiculous idea.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old June 12, 2003, 14:08   #26
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
the thing is, Patty Cakes, is even IF "American culture" spreads to every corner of the globe, it's not like it subverts or destroys the "parent culture" (if it did, it could not exist in the first place) so what's the trouble? Enjoy both, or enjoy one, ignore the other.

-=Vel=-

the bolded phrase doesnt make sense.

the problem is that cheap products (which as said are reduced to the least common denominator as to be accessible by the wider possible audience) in a free market economy can indeed lead to inactivity the domestic industry.

i refer you to hamelink's cultural autonomy for more details about that.

theones in primal danger are theones who already share critical pramteres in common such as language (which makes uk, australia and canada a bit more subscectible)
Old June 12, 2003, 14:09   #27
HershOstropoler
Settler

Re: Re: Is American Culture Being Overwhelmed By Foreign Cultures?
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

The day people in the US say "let's go out for American" rather than "let's go to McDonalds" is the day where your culture would be marginal, at least about food.
What do you mean?
Old June 12, 2003, 14:09   #28
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by HershOstropoler
I don't see either how american culture could destroy european culture. That's a ridiculous idea.
It is but that doesn't mean they don't do harm.
Old June 12, 2003, 14:10   #29
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 23:31
Dashi this was a pretty good making-fun-of-Boddington's troll .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 12, 2003, 14:11   #30
Bereta_Eder
Settler

and there isnt "one" european culture either.