Old June 14, 2003, 03:18   #151
Vince278
King

Local Time: 03:31
Local Date: November 2, 2010
American culture is a composite of other cultures.

IDIC, Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. - Vulcan Credo
You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. - Borg Collective
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old June 14, 2003, 08:25   #152
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 22:31
Local Date: November 1, 2010
in some ways i can understand cultural protectionism.

movie theatres in skorea are required to show a korean movie on each of their screens for over 275 days a year, iirc. while in the beginning, as in many years ago, the korean movie production scene was dismal, that same protectionism has given rise to both the korean new wave and a whole slew of spectacularly well done movies (my sassy girl, JSA, or friend, for instance) which would probably have never been made without that law--since the native movie industry would never have arisen.

i'm unconcerned with the state of american culture. if you go by the notion that america has no culture, then this shouldn't matter. if you go by the notion that america does have culture, you can argue that it's so imperialistic it goes everywhere, or that its fundamental nature is to incorporate and assimilate.
indeed, all those chinese restaurants serving kung pao chicken and general tso's chicken?
not really chinese. it's american-chinese.
oriental chicken salads, which aren't really asian at all (it's just soy sauce...).
seven-layer nacho from taco bell...

there's nothing to fear, dashi. american culture, such as it is, will always be around so long as america is around.
Old June 14, 2003, 13:12   #153
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 23:31
Re: Retard!
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka

Was the term "AMERICA" coined by natives, there LEONS? I don't know if you have enough rolleye emoticons tucked away to respond - so please don't feel the need to
I am sorry if I have offended the great Portuguese-speaking nation of the República dos Estados Unidos da América.
Old June 15, 2003, 00:53   #154
mindseye
King

Local Time: 11:31
Quote:
indeed, all those chinese restaurants serving kung pao chicken and general tso's chicken?
not really chinese. it's american-chinese.
Hey, "king pao chicken" really is Chinese ("gong bao ji ding")!

It's a famous Sichuan (Szechuan) dish. He11, I just had it last night!

Last edited by mindseye; June 15, 2003 at 01:02.
Old June 15, 2003, 03:37   #155
Vince278
King

I hope we in America are contributing to world culture in some positive ways (that even our detractors can agree on).
Old June 15, 2003, 03:49   #156
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

U guys were mean to the natives & ownz0r ROFL ROLFFV
Quote:
Originally posted by St Leo

I am sorry if I have offended the great Portuguese-speaking nation of the República dos Estados Unidos da América.
I'm sorry, are you pointing out the fact that "AMERICAN culture" has absolutely no referral to the life and customs of indigenous people - rather to the present "America" that was built after European arrival?

If not, please share more failures of incompetent and incorrect semantic hacking!
Old June 15, 2003, 10:19   #157
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
Hey, "king pao chicken" really is Chinese ("gong bao ji ding")!

It's a famous Sichuan (Szechuan) dish. He11, I just had it last night!
not with the amount of sauce they slather on it here in america. i can't tell the difference between the different prepared meals because the sauces are all orange or brown, and everything on that dish is swimming in it.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:08   #158
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

This is an interesting thread topic. I personally thought that the whole idea behind America is that immigrants can bring in their eclectic culture and contribute to the whole.

If you start complaining about "foreign cultures eroding American culture" you have basically cut out one of the major inlets for American culture, and one of the major reasons why it is so much more flexible than other nations.

If such a thought disturbs you then maybe America is not the country for you.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:11   #159
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
This is an interesting thread topic. I personally thought that the whole idea behind America is that immigrants can bring in their eclectic culture and contribute to the whole.

If you start complaining about "foreign cultures eroding American culture" you have basically cut out one of the major inlets for American culture, and one of the major reasons why it is so much more flexible than other nations.

If such a thought disturbs you then maybe America is not the country for you.
Slowwhand doesn't want hear this bulls*t.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:31   #160
Q Classic
Emperor

lol. you could theoretically reword alinestra's last sentence into:

Quote:
If you don't like the idea that America can have all sorts of different cultures, then you can go back to whatever home country you came from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
Old June 15, 2003, 23:46   #161
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Re: U guys were mean to the natives & ownz0r ROFL ROLFFV
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
I'm sorry, are you pointing out the fact that "AMERICAN culture" has absolutely no referral to the life and customs of indigenous people - rather to the present "America" that was built after European arrival?
Modern America didn't exist until the 1960s.

Contrary to popular belief, being European does not give one magic America-building powers.

Quote:
If not, please share more failures of incompetent and incorrect semantic hacking!
What's incorrect about it? Portuguese and Apache are about equally relevant to America's culture.
Old June 16, 2003, 02:16   #162
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Portugese as a LANGUAGE is simply part of the broader holisitic movement out of Europe and into the new world. I wouldn't care even if "America" was instead coined by the Vikings 500 years earlier - the point is, it would still (although barely) state the trend of the new land's passing from one hand to the next; with ultimate European accumulation. However violent, however unjust, this accumulation happened - it remains as root today, and the WORLD recognizes it as official.

Say what you will about possible Chinese exploration beforehand, their term would rightly refer to a shadow land they never had the balls to expand and settle into. Say what you will of who-was-here-firstism, Apache is relevant to PRE-American, ancient culture - it's a part of the past, with no foundation other than a base of broken bones in the present.