Old June 14, 2003, 19:11   #151
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 23:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Aidun
I hereby ask that the members of each team, especially the members of GS and Vox be polite and proper to each other.

No insulting to teams and no personal insulting.

You have to realize that this is a game and if you can't have the respect for another team or for another person, you shouldn't play.

Please, what is happening now is not like what this game was meant to be.

Aidun
Aidun - I agree. I read this after I posted my response to Sir Ralph. Which I will now edit - with some reluctance - in order to get us to the more civil playing field you are calling for.

I agree that this was not what the game was meant to be.
Old June 14, 2003, 20:06   #152
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Beta, Sir Ralph was only telling you the truth.
Yes, I realize that he is not too nice to his enemies, but IMHO you should have listened instead of replying angrily and locking yourself up from any criticism.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 14, 2003, 20:07   #153
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 19:34
Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
When did this become the Lego - GS Cold War thread?
At least it's not the Roleplay - GS Cold War Thread, like it usually is.

I have been lamented in my team's chatroom that posting, discussing, explaining our feelings on this issue is absolutely irrevelant. It's stupid. It's likely to get us in more trouble than it'll solve. I was a fool for expressing the opinions of myself and my kingdom, all that resulted from it was multiple line-by-line responses, like we're debating something. What is there to debate? Is GS going to convince the world that Vox should be wiped out? Are we going to convince GS that Vox should be spared? The pointlessness of it all just has me shaking my head in disbelief.

I feel sorry for Beta and for the Voxians, but there is nothing that I or Spain can do to help. Our words are unwelcome and our military as peacekeepers would merely seal our fate as the next ones to be destroyed by the Storm.

This is a sad time for me. My people have long shared in very friendly and fruitful relations with the Voxians who have taught us a great many things about science, philosophy, and architecture. They have shared in our culture and in our religion. And I have met many times with their leaders and ambassadors, shared meals and stories, and spoken in great detail about the futures of our nations.

My brothers and friends of Vox Controli: my heart weaps for you. You will suffer much in the coming years, perhaps more than ever in your history. I cannot truly know your pain, but I can and do imagine it daily, as I fear for the safety of my own people as we watch the destruction from the deck of the Santa Maria and envision what it would be like to see Barcelona or New Madrid in ruin. And we have already suffered once through the great plague of Madrid.

My prayers and the prayers of the faithful throughout Spain are with you.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old June 14, 2003, 20:08   #154
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Beta, Sir Ralph was only telling you the truth.
Yes, I realize that he is not too nice to his enemies, but IMHO you should have listened instead of replying angrily and locking yourself up from any criticism.
Old June 14, 2003, 20:08   #155
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Mrmitchell, I'm afraid that noone can honestly give you a summary because there are so many sides to this coin

Just so you know, Beta's proposal is not unconditional surrender, they get to keep all of what we believe that we can conquer in the coming few turns and they only offer us territory that is already behind the front line and that we essentially already have. (this is GS's view, Beta may have a different idea about this)
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 14, 2003, 20:26   #156
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Togas

At least it's not the Roleplay - GS Cold War Thread, like it usually is.
Awww, come on, Togas. I still luv ya.

But seriously, can we let by-gones be by-gones? You formed an opinion, you said so, I disagree/d with it. No need to let that keep our teams from playing the game free of our baggage, IMO.
Old June 14, 2003, 20:30   #157
Shiber
Emperor

Togas, won't you heed to your own team mate's request to cool things down?

Honestly, I must say that I am very impressed with your rhetoric skills. However, my good impression of your intellect is stained by your harsh words.
To suspect that we may be after your team is ok by me; heck, we suspect radical things too sometimes. But to state that we have flagged RP (or any other team for that matter) as "next", as if it were a fact, is just deliberately fanning the flames.

I know that you feel sorry for the loss of all the deals that your team could have made with Vox, but that doesn't mean that we can't work something out. Perhaps we can compensate RP in a way, by offering you the same deals. I believe that we have a chat session scheduled, that'd be a great opportunity to work things out.

By the way, Trigun is turning out to be a very good series! Thanks for recommending it.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 14, 2003, 20:41   #158
Beta
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber
Mrmitchell, I'm afraid that noone can honestly give you a summary because there are so many sides to this coin

Just so you know, Beta's proposal is not unconditional surrender, they get to keep all of what we believe that we can conquer in the coming few turns and they only offer us territory that is already behind the front line and that we essentially already have. (this is GS's view, Beta may have a different idea about this)
Old June 14, 2003, 20:42   #159
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Beta, if you were the gifted diplomat you claim to be (ok, ok, or everyone is portaying you as), you would know, that it is poor diplomacy to piss off the counterpart you want to negotiate with. And with your past two stunts you managed, that many of those, who still voted to give you peace (under conditions, of course) a week or two ago, are now calling for your head. If this was your intent, I congratulate you for your success.

Well, then why in the world has every other nation been a bit more understanding towards Vox than GS? If diplomacy is getting people on your side of the fence then well, one team has really done it better than the other...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 14, 2003, 21:44   #160
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Enough.

I, joined by Sir Ralph (henceforth known as Frater Ralphus for this purpose), Arrian, and DeepO, will no longer tolerate Vox, nor the back-room politicking that has been going on, nor the open efforts at manipulation seen here.

We have a simple, straightforward solution, and have thus formed the StormHawk Party.

Vox delenda est.

Please see the announcement thread.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 14, 2003, 22:39   #161
Beta
lifer
Deity

In all this kerfuffle, I just noticed that I have reached Emperor!
Old June 15, 2003, 00:51   #162
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
That's the spirit! Always accomplish the goals you have set for yourself.
Old June 15, 2003, 01:10   #163
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Congrats, Beta. Sorta Al Sharpton-like. (j/k, seriously, j/k)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 15, 2003, 02:08   #164
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 04:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
Well, then why in the world has every other nation been a bit more understanding towards Vox than GS? If diplomacy is getting people on your side of the fence then well, one team has really done it better than the other...
Perhaps because no other nation had to deal with large stacks of immortals in their coreland?
Old June 15, 2003, 04:06   #165
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Beta
Oh no... Emperor Beta...

Congratulations my friend!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 15, 2003, 09:29   #166
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Quote:

Perhaps because no other nation had to deal with large stacks of immortals in their coreland?
That might have an impact on one's views toward Vox.
Old June 15, 2003, 09:43   #167
Shiber
Emperor

MZ, your team wasn't very understanding when Vox tried to settle a town on the unsettled fringe of Bob.
In fact, the flaming back then is very similar to what we're seeing today.
I can't blame you for neglecting those events though, they have happened before you have joined.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 15, 2003, 12:20   #168
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

SUMMERY OF EVENTS IN THIS THREAD

Please note: this is all in my opinion as a human being who knows many of the people involved and has no relation to being a member of RP team.

Events: This thread was started and has continued to be a flame war between two contesting nations in an attempt by one nation to reach a favarable peace treaty.

The other nation involved in the conflict has indicated that they no longer want the first nation on the same land mass, and that due to the nature of the situation any other peace will prove unacceptable.

Consiquences: Each team has learned much about the ways of diplomicy and warfare. Other teams hopefully are paying attention and can learn as well.

The Lessons: First and formost - EVERYBODY NEEDS TO REMEMBER THAT IT IS A GAME AND IS BEING PLAYED FOR FUN.

Diplomicy is very different when there is no AI involved. Each team must recognize this and account for it. It often takes place outside of In Game options. Miscommunications and misunderstanding become possible, and potentially common.

A teams reputation counts for far more in this version than in the game with the AI. Sure, it might be thousands of years in game, but if they gain the reputation as sneaky, devious, underhanded, and so forth, that will stick with them. However, even if you are sneaky, devious, and underhanded, but never gain a reputation for being so, then things can be oh so good. Also, your reputation with the AI is almost always the same. Whereas, your reputation with other living teams can vary a lot with each team. For example, Vox has a terrable rep with GS right now, but with Lego, Vox is doing pretty good.

Ok. That is all I can think to put into words right now. Perhaps others will add to this as they feel appropraite.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old June 15, 2003, 13:03   #169
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Thanks, GK.

This is a game, guys--give it a break and have some fun.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:11   #170
Shiber
Emperor

This is what the StormHawk thread is for.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 15, 2003, 14:32   #171
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

Rewind a couple of turns before the war started and we almost did...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 15, 2003, 15:07   #172
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

BTW, Master Zen,

Happy Birthday

[/threadjack][from me ]
Old June 15, 2003, 15:08   #173
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:34
Old June 15, 2003, 15:41   #174
Shiber
Emperor

Happy Birthday MZ!
Damn, how could I have forgotten your B-Day? I remember reading that your B-Day is on the same day that the new patch for the Invision board comes out, and it has today... sorry...
Oh, well
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 15, 2003, 16:24   #175
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Is it MZ's Birthday? I didn't know that.

Congratulations Master Zen.

Let's party! I've heard the pubs in The Voice are still excellent and you never know what those GS people will do with it when they conquer it. So perhaps we can party there.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG

Last edited by Aidun; June 15, 2003 at 17:00.
Old June 16, 2003, 10:44   #176
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.