Old June 12, 2003, 23:55   #1
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 03:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Canadian Law - Help, please and thank you.
My parents have decided to drop recently mentioned charges against me, and upon today telling the police (who have been eagerly pressuring them into charging for the past week) - they responded that "The charges have already gone through", and that there is no way out and my court date stands.

I call bullsh*t, personally - of course a minor bit of paperwork like this can be legally addressed before the court date, correct? I wouldn't be so quick to think that, had the officers I was dealing with that night shown competent understanding of the law by answering my questions, rather than saying "I don't know really, now stop bugging me with questions or we'll find something big to charge you on"

Please tell me they're lying... and if so, what do I do to grab these corrupt quota filling morons by the balls?
Old June 12, 2003, 23:58   #2
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1. Change your avatar.

2. The police do not need a complaint to file charges in Canada. I'm not sure if this applies in all cases and to all charges, but it is true for some. OTOH, what they can do to you if your parents show up and say it was a misunderstanding is another thing all together.

3. Get a lawyer.
Old June 12, 2003, 23:59   #3
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Re: Canadian Law - Help, please and thank you.
Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
My parents have decided to drop recently mentioned charges against me, and upon today telling the police (who have been eagerly pressuring them into charging for the past week) - they responded that "The charges have already gone through", and that there is no way out and my court date stands.
I was taught in my Legal Studies class that one of the differences between the US and Canada is the police press charges in Canada, not victims.
Old June 13, 2003, 00:05   #4
Zylka
King

Luckily I can't afford a lawyer. So while an as*hole, high school drop out, hard dealer old "friend" of mine who drove drunk without a license or insurance and into someones living room gets away with it, the cops eagerly harrass the naive parents of a poor, working, 3.6 GPA university student into a comittment that can't be retro-fitted? This might be possible due to the fact that he ASSAULTED AN OFFICER and ran away from the scene after.

Gotta lock the bad ones up, right?
Old June 13, 2003, 00:10   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

ASSAULTED AN OFFICER? It gets better... You're toast. Get a legal aid lawyer.
Old June 13, 2003, 00:13   #6
Zylka
King

I'm not the one who assaulted an officer, that was buddy who got away because he had a high priced lawyer. Funny that one might see this kind of thing as the making of severe distaste for the state. Oh well, I'm harmless for now
Old June 13, 2003, 00:19   #7
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Apolyton Grand Executioner

Local Time: 19:34
Re: Re: Canadian Law - Help, please and thank you.
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I was taught in my Legal Studies class that one of the differences between the US and Canada is the police press charges in Canada, not victims.
The District Attorney or United States Attorney (at Fed level)can charge for any crime in the US, but usually don't bother if victims refuse to do so, unless they're confident that they'll have enough evidence to convict without cooperation of the victim.
Old June 13, 2003, 00:43   #8
Zylka
King

I get a "final say" type thing after being convicted, correct? Is there a time limit to my ranting?
Old June 13, 2003, 01:00   #9
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

It depends on whether the judge pronounces sentence before or after your rant.
Old June 13, 2003, 01:02   #10
Zylka
King

Well I'd let the ruling come before, obviously
Old June 13, 2003, 01:55   #11
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

In general, it's better to consider that when in court, you may as well be in front of God Almighty on judgment day, because that's about where the balance of power falls. Running your mouth may make you feel good momentarily, but pissing off judges is a no-win situation. I don't know if they can issue summary contempt judgments there, but in traffic court here in the US, I've seen idiots run their mouths off and earn themselves jail time for not shutting up when told, or just being particularly insulting.
Old June 13, 2003, 02:12   #12
notyoueither
Deity

MtG, this is/was part of the Empire. More precisely, this is the Texas of Canada. That may answer your doubts about what happens when you run your mouth at a judge in these parts.

No Roy Beans. Don't need 'em.
Old June 13, 2003, 02:13   #13
Zylka
King

No insulting or red in the face banter; I just want to voice my discontent in a rather well spoken, yet lengthy period of mock debate. I imagine it would piss them off just as well, but if I can keep them in that room and feeling guilt/worry beneath desperate rage for 54 hours or so, I'll do so.
Old June 13, 2003, 02:21   #14
MichaeltheGreat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

You're likely lucky if you get three minutes. Better try to fit it in one or two. Otherwise, you're gonna swing, boy.
Old June 15, 2003, 00:44   #15
Zylka
King

Well - it looks as if it's going to court, where the judge will tell the officers who arrested me and told my parents they had to give a statement when they didn't want to (or have to), to stop wasting his/her f*cking time. I get to happily stare at said officers while this takes place: Looks like bad things happen to bad people, after all
Old June 15, 2003, 01:15   #16
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 04:34
Well Zylka, although it has no bearing on your personal case, I can see one good side to the Canadian way of doing things.

Here in the UK a lot of anti-social small crimes get dropped, because the defendants (or their thug accomplices) go round to the witnesses and get heavy with them.

That's no point in doing that with the Canadian system - so although it's failed in your case, it may have succeeded in a lot of other cases.

I really, really wouldn't bother saying anything in court other than what is ncessary. It will only have a negative impact. It might make you feel better for 3 seconds - and you'll probably regret it for the rest of your life.

Your call though.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 15, 2003, 01:33   #17
Zylka
King

No - I've cooled down, and am content having the case thrown out for the officers not playing by the rules
Old June 15, 2003, 01:43   #18
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 22:34
What exactly are you charged with z, at what is the possible sentence?

Maybe if you play the innocent good but hardworking college student who made a dumb mistake they will have mercy on you.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old June 15, 2003, 02:11   #19
Zylka
King

AGAIN... the case is likely going to be thrown out, and if not - that is exactly what I'll "play". It's not like I'm that bad overall anyway, I generally stick to the law and keep my illegalities small and personal
Old June 15, 2003, 02:38   #20
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

So.... just wondering. Is your admission of guilt on 'Poly, admissible evidence in court?

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old June 15, 2003, 03:01   #21
Zylka
King

Or my admission of guilt to the officers through my statement? Keep wondering, moron
Old June 15, 2003, 13:16   #22
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 11:34
Another poor little Zylka thread.

Before he was blaming his parents, now its the evil cops.

Not only that, he plans on doing a rant in court about how he's just being persecuted by these cops who don't play by the rules.

That'll be good. I was a court reporter for over a year and people who go on a rant are always good for a laugh. They usually end up incriminating themselves without realising it. And they're always good for demonstrating the myth of the criminal mastermind.

So far Zylka has told us:
1) He took his parent's van without permission (read stole it), when he knew he's not insured to drive it (meaning his parents specifically told him not to drive it).
2) He took the van so he could do a drug deal.
3) He used a screwdriver to start the van because the ignition had been jimmied when it was previously stolen.
4) His drug deal gets interrupted by campus security.
5) The buyer takes off with Zylka in the car, but instead of running away, Zylka returns to the van with illegal drugs in his pocket. A classic smart move.
6) Campus security has no proof that Zylka stole the van or that he was the driver, but Zylka actually gets in the van and tries to start it with a screwdriver while they're watching. (That's the funniest bit of all).
7) He then tries to run away, just as the cops arrive to nab him.

I can just see him trying to explain this one in court.

He'll get lots of sympathy from the judge when he starts ranting about how the cops.

I'll give you five to one that if Zylka goes on a rant, he'll end up to confessing that he was doing a drug deal.
Old June 15, 2003, 13:45   #23
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Can any of us volunteer to witnessing Zylka confessing his own guilt on 'Poly?
Old June 15, 2003, 14:26   #24
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Tingkai
Another poor little Zylka thread.

Before he was blaming his parents, now its the evil cops.

Not only that, he plans on doing a rant in court about how he's just being persecuted by these cops who don't play by the rules.

That'll be good. I was a court reporter for over a year and people who go on a rant are always good for a laugh. They usually end up incriminating themselves without realising it. And they're always good for demonstrating the myth of the criminal mastermind.
The case is being dropped. Add another to the list who seem to go by this line I repeat being invisible

Quote:
So far Zylka has told us:
1) He took his parent's van without permission (read stole it), when he knew he's not insured to drive it (meaning his parents specifically told him not to drive it).
2) He took the van so he could do a drug deal.
Yep. Boo hoo, eating babies next - right?

Quote:
3) He used a screwdriver to start the van because the ignition had been jimmied when it was previously stolen.
OH NO! The law abider would have crossed the f*cking wires? What's your point on this one???

Quote:
4) His drug deal gets interrupted by campus security.
5) The buyer takes off with Zylka in the car, but instead of running away, Zylka returns to the van with illegal drugs in his pocket. A classic smart move.
Legal drugs. Read much?

Quote:
6) Campus security has no proof that Zylka stole the van or that he was the driver, but Zylka actually gets in the van and tries to start it with a screwdriver while they're watching. (That's the funniest bit of all).
7) He then tries to run away, just as the cops arrive to nab him.
I don't give a f*ck what they see me doing as long as it's legal and a possible promotion of my getting away safely. You wouldn't last a minute in the real world, cupcake.

Then I try to "run away" - which was legal but in the end avoided upon my own decision? Again - do you know how to read properly, or is that a crime against the state in China too?

Quote:
I can just see him trying to explain this one in court.

He'll get lots of sympathy from the judge when he starts ranting about how the cops.

I'll give you five to one that if Zylka goes on a rant, he'll end up to confessing that he was doing a drug deal.
THE CASE IS BEING THROWN OUT, REMEMBER? :loll0LOL! :LOL!
Old June 15, 2003, 14:28   #25
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Do you expect me to lie under oath contrary to my initial confession to the police? Are you a f*cking idiot? Are all Chinese??? JUST WONDERING!
Old June 15, 2003, 14:30   #26
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 22:34
Zylka.... CHILL
Old June 15, 2003, 14:37   #27
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 04:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Don't you have to be of legal age and of sound mind?

That's just about all `Poly posters disqualified.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 15, 2003, 20:53   #28
Tingkai
Prince

Quote:
Well it looks as if it's going to court
AGAIN... the case is likely going to be thrown out
The case is being dropped. Add another to the list who seem to go by this line I repeat being invisible
Zylka boy, you really need to get your story straight.

Quote:
OH NO! The law abider would have crossed the f*cking wires? What's your point on this one???
No, actually a person who obeys the law would not have started the van. Newsflash to Zylka: driving without insurance is against the law. Taking something without permission, and when you have been told not to take it, is against the law. It's called theft.

Quote:
Legal drugs. Read much?
Legal, eh? These were the $150 worth of drugs that you trying desperately to get rid of before the cops arrived. The drugs you were trying to sell in a parking lot late at night.

So tell us, what were the drugs. This should be good for a laugh.

Quote:
I don't give a f*ck what they see me doing as long as it's legal and a possible promotion of my getting away safely.

You still don't get it.

Did the van belong to you? No.
Did you have permission to use it? No.
Did the owners know you were using it? No.
Can you say stolen.

Did you have insurance to drive the van? No.
Can you say illegal?

Now the cops normally don't waste time with kids taking their parents car, but you were using a screwdriver to start the car, and you were trying to run away (another brilliant move) and that tends to make cops think that you managed to get away with doing something illegal. That's why they charged you.

Quote:
Then I try to "run away" - which was legal
It wasn't legal. The campus security set you up and you fell for it.

They had no proof that you stolen the car until you volunteered to get in the car and try to drive it away. Not only that, you actually ask permission.

The security guards became witnesses to your crime the second you tried to start that van.

And you still don't get it.

Old June 16, 2003, 00:08   #29
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Quote:
Do you expect me to lie under oath contrary to my initial confession to the police?
Is there something wrong with your ability to comprehend written English?

Quote:
Are you a f*cking idiot? Are all Chinese??? JUST WONDERING!
It is exactly this sort of behaviour that fails to garner you any goodwill here.
Old June 16, 2003, 02:03   #30
Zylka
King

No, I'd say your hoping I'm incriminated for the personal behavior which hurts no one but myself is a little more than oddly vindictive. I've failed to garner goodwill of the hard left and the Chinese on poly - OH NO!

TK baby - You still don't get it. I'm going to walk this week, and I'll tell you when it happens. G'night from the land of competent understanding