Old June 13, 2003, 01:24   #1
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 22:34
Local Date: November 1, 2010
My internal chronometer must be running slowly...
... because it doesn't even seem like a month has elapsed. But indeed, there are only about 10 or 11 more days (binary) until elections are due. This seems to be a good place to announce any positions one intends to run for, and on the 1111 of June (real time), we can start up some polls for the votes.

I would like to announce that I intend to run for the positions of:
Advisor on Internal Affairs
Advisor on Foreign Affairs
Advisor on Scientific Matters

Good luck to everyone running!
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 13, 2003, 02:14   #2
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Arr, ye dinna need ta... *shakes head, flips a few switches*

Ahem, I don't know if elections are really necessary given our small population and even smaller active population. In the last demo game the positions didn't really give you any power, just responsibility for having certain decisions worked out in time for the turn. At this point I think there aren't many responsibilities to divide.

Either way, go for it if you want.
Old June 13, 2003, 09:11   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:34
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well since I'm Second Function, a sort of Alpha Talent, I'm the one theoretically responsible for elections. I was planning to start a thread the 15th of June, in the tradition of the old ACDG, asking if we überhaupt needed elections (but let's use this tread for that discussion). Then there would be a week to a week-and-a-half nominations, and depending on the length of the month, elections would be held somewhere after the 24th of a month.

So, what's everyone's opinion? Elections or not? And if the answer is yes: for what positions? The same as in the old ACDG? And can people run for more than one position?
Old June 13, 2003, 09:44   #4
Corellion
Prince

I apologise for overstepping my authority... I did not participate in the last ACDG, so I am unfamiliar with any customs or traditions In any case, I vote yes. They do give very little power (as can be seen by their practical irrelevance in the forums), but they're fun to roleplay. Besides, they make a good 3D article.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old June 13, 2003, 10:05   #5
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

No need at all to apologize. As you said, you didn't participate in the first ACDG, so you can't know the locally grown (now largely irrelevant anyway) customs.
Anyway, personally at first I didn't see the need for elections, but your argument "it makes a good 3D article" seems reason enough for me to have them.
Old June 13, 2003, 10:47   #6
Cedayon
King

Things probably would be more fun with the positions, so let's have them. I'll take a few if need be, else I'll just be cooking stuff up in the CIAC
Old June 13, 2003, 11:09   #7
Maniac

Please freshen up my memory: I know what CIAC refers to, but what does that abbreviation exactly stand for again?
Old June 13, 2003, 13:13   #8
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:34
well no attack on drogue and maniac...and not that i would want the job....but maybe give some one else the job of prime function....so that we can get different persons to play the game...just an idea
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 13, 2003, 14:18   #9
Maniac

Why would I feel attacked? I've never been Commissioner or Prime Function before, though I could have been at the end of the ACDG if I hadn't changed my mind a few days before the elections. Too little time and too complex a game back then.
Old June 13, 2003, 15:29   #10
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Please freshen up my memory: I know what CIAC refers to, but what does that abbreviation exactly stand for again?
I was just wondering that myself That's classified

(I think it's something like Central Internal Affairs Compound, only TKG knows the secrets, I'm just renting )
Old June 13, 2003, 16:20   #11
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
it is indeed the central internal affairs complex. but rent you shall no longer; i'm not planning to do any jobs next month.
Old June 13, 2003, 18:43   #12
Corellion
Prince

You won't? Going to divert all your attention to the secret project?
Old June 13, 2003, 19:24   #13
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

When it comes to positions, I propose that people state the one position they would like to run for, as per the old ACDG, and then if more than 2 people want a particular position, then there is an election. If any positions remain unfilled after this, then they are allocated on a first come/first served basis, after elections. Would this be ok? If so, I (or Maniac) will start a nomination thread, that will be topped. This thread is very cluttered, so I propose another thread for it. Please type in bold what you wish to run for when the time comes.

Any suggestions?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 13, 2003, 19:38   #14
Corellion
Prince

How will the nomination process work?
Old June 13, 2003, 19:50   #15
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 00:34
Quote:
Originally posted by Corellion
You won't? Going to divert all your attention to the secret project?
that or TDZK. i tell you - that game makes NationStates look like a pile of puke
Old June 14, 2003, 08:44   #16
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

well nationstates is a pile of puke....but TDZK looks like a pile of vomit compared to project entropia!
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 14, 2003, 11:49   #17
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Corellion: The 2nd function starts a nominations thread, showing all the offices up for election, people post the one they wish to run for. If there is more than 1 person, there is an election, if there is one, they get it, and if there isn't anyone, then it is open to whoever wants it once elections have finished (in case losers in elections want to). Nominations posted on the 16th, elections from the 22nd to 29th and term starts on the 1st of every month IIRC.

Does that seem ok? Any changes needed?

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 15, 2003, 15:57   #18
Corellion
Prince

Seems fine to me.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:14   #19
Maniac

Quote:
well no attack on drogue and maniac...and not that i would want the job....but maybe give some one else the job of prime function....so that we can get different persons to play the game...just an idea
Should we keep the rule then that a person cannot hold the same office for three (or was it two? ) consecutive times?
Old June 15, 2003, 18:26   #20
Cedayon
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Should we keep the rule then that a person cannot hold the same office for three (or was it two? ) consecutive times?
I'd prefer

"a person cannot run for the same office for four (that was the number, you could do it three times in a row) consecutive terms"

... if no one else runs for the office, they can "pick it up" after the elections like anyone else. This is essentially how we did it in the last DG.

The 3-consecutive-term limit can be changed to longer or shorter, or tossed altogether...

I doubt this will become an issue, in any case.