Old June 13, 2003, 14:47   #1
mimi
Warlord

Local Time: 23:38
Local Date: November 1, 2010
AI won't sell some techs?
I know techs are supposed to drop in price once everyone knows them but is it possible that the AI simply won't trade certain techs?

In my last game I wanted to get Flight (last one I needed to get out of era) and everyone had it but nobody would sell it to me for any price ( I had motorize trans plus lots of g to trade) Indians were gracious, celts and korea were polite and the rest were annoyed or something... but still. I stopped all my research and offered 400gpt plus 3000g cash plus motorized and no deal even with gracious civ. (And I hadn't broken any treaties/deals for the entire game either - had been playing nice.) They simply wouldn't sell flight to me...
Old June 13, 2003, 14:56   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What was the response? Did they say no chance or something like that? If so then they are in some form of unfriendly status with you, such as they are planning on going to war.
Otherwise the GPT could be a problem as you may have inadvertently broke a deal. This could happen if you have a trade route cut off by some other civ.
The times that they would not trade some older tech like amp war for good stuff was we had many wars and they were not happy.
Sometime some techs are not acceptable for trade from there perspective.
Old June 13, 2003, 15:03   #3
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 20:38
I've run into that too. In a recent Monarch game I was four techs into the Industrial Age and ignored Nationalism to shoot for Replaceable Parts and then the Electonics branch. When the Russians and a few others entered the IA, they received Nationalism and quickly traded it around to as many civs as possible. I called them up (they were polite) and offered Medicine and gold for it so I could start an immediate upgrade to my units before RP (the Koreans below me were looking hostile again). No go. I decided I didn't want it after that, but checked to see how much it would have taken. They wanted all my available tech that they could see (Steam Power, Medicine and Economics) and 9,000 gp for it. Sheesh!
Old June 13, 2003, 19:16   #4
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
mimi
if you've broken a gpt trade before then the AI won't accept it... even if he'd take it with the same offer, but without the gpt.

try just offering 4000g plus motorized?

btw: keep motorized transport. every turn longer the AI takes to get it, the bigger advantage you have (same with steam engine and synthetic fibers)
Old June 13, 2003, 19:41   #5
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

That's why I never try to trade over water for gpt deals until ocean square trade is available. It's too easy for any AI civ that is in between the two of us and covers all the sea squares in his radius to declare war on me or my trading partner. A blockade automatically negates the deal whether I want it to or not. With ocean squares it is almost impossible to blockade a gpt trade.
Old June 13, 2003, 19:43   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
if you've broken a gpt trade before then the AI won't accept it... even if he'd take it with the same offer, but without the gpt.
By the way, I had never broken any deals in the game I was talking about above when trading with the Russians. They just valued Nationalism way too high to deal with me fairly, despite trading with all the other civs who could possibly gain it (i.e. had already entered the Industrial Age but hadn't received a free tech).
Old June 13, 2003, 23:41   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Re: AI won't sell some techs?
Quote:
Originally posted by mimi
I know techs are supposed to drop in price once everyone knows them but is it possible that the AI simply won't trade certain techs?

In my last game I wanted to get Flight (last one I needed to get out of era) and everyone had it but nobody would sell it to me for any price ( I had motorize trans plus lots of g to trade) Indians were gracious, celts and korea were polite and the rest were annoyed or something... but still. I stopped all my research and offered 400gpt plus 3000g cash plus motorized and no deal even with gracious civ. (And I hadn't broken any treaties/deals for the entire game either - had been playing nice.) They simply wouldn't sell flight to me...
hi ,

it happens , either they dont like you , try to renegociate peace and ask that from them , or they feel that you would become to powerfull with that tech and fear you , .....

go to war with the weakest and demand it at the peace table , ....

have a nice day
Old June 14, 2003, 13:55   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

He said they were polite.