Old June 13, 2003, 20:36   #1
Zylka
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 03:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What does RACISM mean to you?
In my opinion, it's a term that has been hijacked as of late - pressed in completely irrelevant situations to stop analytical thought or criticism of certain human developments, simply because the prosecutor doesn't want to believe those argued facts, or feels that they need not be pointed out. What are some clear definition(s) of racism in your own mind? Has, and can the term rightly change over time? What portion of this world is "racist", under your own clarification?
Old June 13, 2003, 20:52   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 20:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It is a name to be thrown at anyone who's politics I don't like.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; June 13, 2003 at 20:59.
Old June 13, 2003, 21:23   #3
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Its the differential treatment of someone based on their ethnicity, perceived ethnicity etc. Thats loose, but normally, its only applied in negative situations, whereas in reality, racism in general is indicative of a more inherrent intolerance.
Old June 13, 2003, 22:33   #4
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Local Time: 21:39
Racism 1. differing treatment of those of a different group.
2. overused PC-freak term used to silence all opposition.

A very tiny portion of the US is racist. At least, much smaller than PC persons like Zylka would have you believe.

Hell, even rednecks now just leave to their own devices (specifically, the vehicle ones on the cinder blocks in the yard.)
Old June 13, 2003, 22:44   #5
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 22:39
You cannot call an entire group of people murderers and in-breeders and claim you're objectively examining that group's culture.

Pandering to stereotypes and blatantly mis-portraying a race group is racist.
Old June 13, 2003, 22:47   #6
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
Racism 1. differing treatment of those of a different group.
What is a "group"? Am I a racist if I treat diffferently all members of a hate organization? How about if I despise hardcore nationalists of certain nations? Do these groups not often move for recognition and celebration of their unique differences, and therefore differing treatment?

SO MANY QWESTCHUNS!
Old June 13, 2003, 22:50   #7
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 04:39
using the term racism or racist is racist
Old June 13, 2003, 22:54   #8
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

MrFun
You talking to me? That's whut I was talking about, if you are--you effectively quashed my attempts at making a comeback on the redneck stereotype by calling it racist, even though i was using it in jest.
Zylka
Okay, let me specify: since we're talking about racist, group means a group of people who share the same race, like africans, or jews, or boston marathoners.
Old June 13, 2003, 23:02   #9
Zylka
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun
You cannot call an entire group of people murderers and in-breeders and claim you're objectively examining that group's culture.

I did not call an entire group of people that, I quite clearly stated that the cultural framework of most of the region provided a social life with much higher rates of murderous warfare and inbreeding (which is accepted as FACT). I further specified that it was environmental determinism which was the core in shaping these values, and that genetics therefore have nothing to do with it.

Racism is a "by birth" critique of specific human beings, my own opinion a "by cultural environment" approach. Nature and nurture, I'm sure you heard of these in your victim studies? Stressing the latter approach could lead to ideals supporting "culturalism", I suppose... I just hate being blended in with racist ideology because it so suits one's trite, easy and irrelevant KKK accusations
Old June 13, 2003, 23:06   #10
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 23:39
*sigh*

As usually Mr Fun resembles the boy who called wolf by calling racism once again...
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 13, 2003, 23:42   #11
Zylka
King

HAHAHA, while I'm still in the mood for this - I'd like to address these gems I've drawn up, with your own criteria:

Quote:
Race is a socially constructed concept.
Quote:
Quote:
Do people in the Southern states know that the Civil War has been over for over a century now?
Sooo... I suppose the last is an innocent comment, listing all people of a region as ignorant and (assumably) racist - innocent simply because they are not a set "race group". Yet at the same time, you dismiss the concept of "race" as artificial?

Wow. I just don't know where to go from here
Old June 13, 2003, 23:49   #12
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Racism is treating someone worse than you'd treat someone of a different ethnicity, simply because of ethnicity...

...I think. There's probably a hole in that definition that I haven't noticed yet, but I can't think of one.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old June 13, 2003, 23:53   #13
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Zylka: You have him painted in such a corner .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 13, 2003, 23:59   #14
mrmitchell
King

Zylk and Fun, can't you leave other disagreements in other threads? I mean, each thread should be a seperate universe, where things are discussed without bringing in old rants from old threads.

EDIT: Though on a reread, you do have Fun beat, Zylka.
Old June 14, 2003, 00:00   #15
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Zylka's really rolling now.

I think this debate in the posts ahead is going to be anything but fun for MrFun.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old June 14, 2003, 00:03   #16
Zylka
King

Well it's all on the same topic, I don't see how there is an allowance for change on these views from one discussion to the next. I'm just a little discouraged, is all... I mean realistically - a perfectly competent teacher would grade an essay with the above contradictions in it with a nice grey C-, which would in turn prompt the student to sue him for being racist
Old June 14, 2003, 00:07   #17
mrmitchell
King

Zylka, you're being racist, better stop before you get branded
Old June 14, 2003, 00:18   #18
Elok
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Getting sorta-kinda on topic, there is some truth to the statement that racism is overflung, especially in the sense of its use as a general term for a narrow point of view. I remember being on another forum a few years back; a guy who didn't approve of gay rights was called a "racist." If there is an entire race of open homosexuals out there it's doomed to die out in a century at most by its very nature, but that didn't stop the one man from calling the other a racist. Ludicrous.
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old June 14, 2003, 01:18   #19
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Racial profiling is racism manifested at the highest political level in the US.
Old June 14, 2003, 02:49   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:39
racism is a term used by other people to demonize you. I call them witchhunters.

I have been called a racists for not finding black women particularly attractive. I also said I don't find their culture very appealing. That last sentence is what got me in trouble. But to deny there is a culture is just stupid. Granted not all black people belong to that culture. I know this. There are plenty of black people that listen and play metal music, classical, rock etc. Maybe even country .
Old June 14, 2003, 02:56   #21
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

at the UR spambot.

Negative term used on forum. Must use term in connection with United States.

*presto*

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 14, 2003, 18:34   #22
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Zylka
HAHAHA, while I'm still in the mood for this - I'd like to address these gems I've drawn up, with your own criteria:

Sooo... I suppose the last is an innocent comment, listing all people of a region as ignorant and (assumably) racist - innocent simply because they are not a set "race group". Yet at the same time, you dismiss the concept of "race" as artificial?

Wow. I just don't know where to go from here
Yes -- if you take my jokes/trolls about Southerners seriously, you would assume I am prejudiced against Southerners.

The books I have read on the various Amerindian cultures did not discuss the problems of in-breeding.
Old June 14, 2003, 18:47   #23
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 05:39
Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
Its the differential treatment of someone based on their ethnicity, perceived ethnicity etc. Thats loose, but normally, its only applied in negative situations, whereas in reality, racism in general is indicative of a more inherrent intolerance.

Excellent definition.

IMHO, treating a black differently because of his colour, no matter if you treat him like dirt or like someone who needs help, is racism. I think of affirmative action as a racist policy for instance.

It means racism, despite being inherently bad on principle, can have implementations whose outcome is positive. (I'm wary with all kinds of affirmative actions, but it seems to have had generally good results).

Insults to people based solely on their ethnicity or percieved ethnicity is completely racist. The belief that a whole population is inferior because itf ethnicity is racist (i.e, if you mean this population is doomed to be inferior because of its very nature). However, the belief that a population is inferior because of its culture, leadership, whatever is not racist. Ignorant probably, but not racist.
Old June 14, 2003, 18:49   #24
mrmitchell
King

Old June 14, 2003, 19:07   #25
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Royal Academy for Cello Instrumentals and Solo Maracas...

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 14, 2003, 22:02   #26
Zylka
King

What?
Old June 14, 2003, 23:24   #27
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:39
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
at the UR spambot.

Negative term used on forum. Must use term in connection with United States.

*presto*

-Arrian
You don't think that automatically assuming a group of people is more dangerous due to their ethnic origin is racist?

Old June 14, 2003, 23:25   #28
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

The spambot continues its work.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 14, 2003, 23:49   #29
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

I'll answer that one...

In a word, no.

Law enforcement agencies have....are you ready....*limited resources.* That means, we can't hire three million investigators to look into every crime there is.

Given limited resources then, investigators have to cull out and largely ignore groups that have no real previous track record for committing crimes.

So let's take airline hijackings, for example.

Have the boy scouts ever hijacked a plane?

Have elderly ladies (above the age of 60)?

Have skinheads?

The answer to all of those questions is....no.

However, in looking back over the history of airline hijackings, it can fairly be said that a significant number of them have been done in the past by muslim males between the ages of 20 and 40.

Is it unreasonable then, if you are looking to reduce the number of FUTURE hijackings, to NOT spend a lot of time monitoring the comings and goings of grandmothers, focusing instead on the group that is KNOWN to have committed the crimes in the past?

Is that an unreasonable course of action?

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 15, 2003, 01:27   #30
Cruddy
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by elijah
I wouldn't agree. I'd say that Racism is the perception that people from different ethnic groups are less human than others. The different treatment comes from that perception. Re-educate that perception and the different treatment stops - or at least gets diversified to judge each individual on their merits.

Don't matter if you're black, white, yellow or brown... we all bleed red.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84