View Poll Results: What would you like to be the title for government officials?
Director 0 0%
Advisor 0 0%
Prime Code 0 0%
High Function 1 25.00%
Alpha Function 0 0%
Write-in 2 50.00%
Xenobanana! 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15, 2003, 16:23   #1
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 05:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Term II / July nominations thread
If you're interested in performing a government function next month, please post your name here together with the function you're aiming for. If only one person is candidate for a position, that person will get the position automatically. If more than one person wants the same position, there will be an election held, starting July 26, which will last for three days. Every Consciousness member will have an equal vote in that election. The candidate with the most votes gets the position. The new government will take over the first of July, at GMT 00.00.

Candidates for the available positions are:
(As you can see, the position names aren't quite final. "Official" is a placeholder. Please see the poll to choose a name. )

Prime Function
Drogue Beta-8

Second Function
Mani Alpha-3

Official of/for Science

Operations Official or Official of/for Military/Covert Operations
Function Delta (DBTS)

Official of/for Foreign Affairs

Official of/for Social Engineering

Official of/for Internal Affairs
Corelli Omega-9

For the position titles, I have chosen the options: Director, Advisor, Prime Code, High Function, Alpha Function. Not that great names IMO... So if you have another suggestion, please tell so and vote write-in. Perhaps we can hold a new poll then.

Last edited by Maniac; June 20, 2003 at 19:01.
Old June 15, 2003, 17:53   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 03:46
I would like to run again for Prime Function. As I have holidays coming up (only 1.5 weeks to go ), I will be much more available and so be able to carry out my duties better and be more active.

I think Director and Advisor are not RP enough, Alpha Function sounds a little to much like Prime Function to me. Since we are all equal, High Function seems to suggest that those with positions count as more than those without, which I disagree with. Also think of how they sound "High Function for Science", or "Prime Code for Science" don't sound right to me. We could simply have "Function for Science". Or even "Science Function". I prefer the latter personally.

Science Function
Military Function
Diplomatic Function
Social or Political Function
State Function.

What do people think? This is my write-in BTW.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 15, 2003, 18:03   #3
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Are we Cyborgs all equal?? I thought we still had different talents, and different Algorithms to enhance those differing talents. For example, a cyborg with strong muscles and great tactical skills would receive eg a Delta-3 Algorithm and join our armed forces. Likewise a cyborg with strong insight in politics and society or with natural leadership skills would receive an Alpha-3 or Beta-8 algorithm to enhance those skills and would climb up high in the CyCon's government hierarchy.

Btw, when following your reasoning to discard "High Function", "Prime Function" or "Second Function" is wrong too.

Last edited by Maniac; June 15, 2003 at 18:11.
Old June 15, 2003, 18:32   #4
Cedayon
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
King

Local Time: 22:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think "Directing Function" (ie Directing Function of Internal Affairs, Directing Function of Science, Directing Function of Military Operations, etc...) would work... "Controlling Function" would be misleading, and all the ones in the poll suck

I'd go for "Director", nice and simple and the same as last time, but I think something with a bit more cyber flavor would help in the 3D posts.
Old June 16, 2003, 02:15   #5
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

The way I see our structure, the positions are essentially gathering and interpreting the information and opinions of the other functions, and forming it into usable advice. I therefore like something like "Central Science Processing Function" or "Central Internal Affairs Processing Algorythm", although that one sound awkward (Central Infrastructure Processing Unit?). This has the benefit of yielding great acronyms (Our CIPU is meeting with the CSPF to determine what upgrades our science infrastructure needs, which they'll then relay to the PF). That's my vote in any case.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.
Old June 16, 2003, 02:16   #6
Corellion
Prince

By the way, I'd like to run for Official of/for Internal Affairs.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old June 16, 2003, 15:40   #7
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Maniac: When I say we are equal, I mean equal rights, and equal before the law. We have the same voting power, and so I calling one a High Function and others just Functions seems inappropriate to me. Of course we have different talents, and diffewrent abilities. I wasn't refering to that at all. I was refering to rights, such a the right to vote.

Prime Function is like Prime Minister, and Second Function like Second Minister. To refer to other ministers as High Ministers would seem silly to me. Prime and Second (which maybe should be secondary?) Function as specific designations. To me, saying someone is a "High" something implies them being a better person, whereas "Prime" or "Second" refers to a specific designation, as does not bring about the same superiority complex to me.

I agree with Cedayon, I don't like the ones in the poll. I like Corellions idea to.

Old June 16, 2003, 16:35   #8
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

military
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 19, 2003, 18:09   #9
Drogue
staff

Thread topped (sorry I forgot before )

Old June 20, 2003, 19:17   #10
Maniac

So both Corelli Omega-9 and Drogue Beta-8 re in favour of Corellion's idea? That gives them the majority in this affair. So what names should our officials have, using Corelli's idea?

I can think of those already. New and better are welcome:

SF - Science Function (idea from Drogue)
SEGA - Social Engineering Guiding Agent/Algorithm
CIA - Centrality for Internal Affairs
****ME - Functional Unit for Covert Knowledge-gathering and Military Efforts (tell me if I let my fantasy go too far )
FROG - Fullhuman Relations Operational Guide
Old June 20, 2003, 22:55   #11
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 20:46
Or it could be:

****YOU (Functional Unit for Covert Knowledge Yielding Operational Utilities

G.
Old June 21, 2003, 07:53   #12
Maniac

Ah great! I would have preferred that myself, but I couldn't find a decent word starting with "Y" yesterday.
Old June 21, 2003, 09:50   #13
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Your Foreign Affairs minister could be:

APPLE program (Application Process Providing Links Externally)

or

DELL program (Downloading External Live Links)
Old June 21, 2003, 09:54   #14
Googlie
Emperor

And Newspaper editor could be:

CISCO (Co-processor Initiating Sensitive Communications Offline)
Old June 22, 2003, 17:36   #15
Maniac

Great suggestions again. I've thought of a few too others too in the meanwhile.

"****YOU" only refers to probe actions, so their should also be a title for military operations, for the same person doing the ****YOU job. I was thinking about MOM : Military Operations Monitor.
Similarly, instead of CIA, the Internal Affairs director could be called DAD : Domestic Affairs Director.

I will hold a poll with the current suggestions in a few days. New suggestions are still welcome!

Btw, TKG, Bookwyrm, Cedayon, Chaunk, protonman and elijah, don't you want to take up a government position? Contrary to the first ACDG, currently you don't really have to do anything as government official, as the game is young and our faction small. It's just to have names for government officials in a 3D article.

Last edited by Maniac; June 22, 2003 at 17:45.
Old June 22, 2003, 20:48   #16
Corellion
Prince

Should we start a new poll, polling among the options that people are suggesting here?
Old June 24, 2003, 15:58   #17
Drogue
staff

If no-one else seems to be wanting to join, can I suggest that we amalgumate some of the positions, as at this stage non are much work. Therefore I would put Social Engineering in with Internal Affairs, and possibly ask the Second Function to do the science polls. That would leave the Prime Function to do Foreign Affairs, unless someone else wants to run. It now has a use

Old June 24, 2003, 16:25   #18
Maniac

Well currently everyone is polling for whatever he likes, so for ourselves it doesn't really matter the government isn't filled. That may change of course when the game becomes more complex. But now my main concern is having a full government to write a 3D article about. If we can't get enough real people, perhaps we should invent fictitious names, such as Aki Zeta-5, Niki Theta-2, Ceti Tau-1 or Mu Hammed Saed al-Sigma-4 (Foreign Affairs - idea from TKG).

Last edited by Maniac; June 24, 2003 at 16:52.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:38   #19
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

well i can do foreign too.....me not so good with words...but heck who gives a f*ck.
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 25, 2003, 12:07   #20
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
Quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
Mu Hammed Saed al-Sigma-4 (Foreign Affairs - idea from TKG).
put him for minister of information

anyways, put me down for whatever you want, just as long as i don't actually have to do anything
Old June 25, 2003, 20:01   #21
Drogue
staff

I agree with TKG: As minister for information (or information function or whatever). Since we've gone to Planned, can I suggest Function Vladi-Mu Xi-ll-Chi Leni-Nu (Validmir Illich Lenin) as Social Engineering Function, and Function Alber-Tau Xi-Nu-Stein (Albert Einstein) for Science Function. Foreign Affairs I have no idea, maybe some change on Henry Kissenger, Kruschev or Bush? Maybe even Locutus of Borg (Federation/Borg go between)?

Old June 25, 2003, 23:40   #22
Corellion
Prince

So, shall we fill all important positions with fake names, to ward off assassination attempts from other factions, or should we just fill in the empty positions?
Old June 26, 2003, 17:21   #23
Drogue
staff

To be honest, since we have so few people, I don't think we will ever fill them all. Also, I think elections could be good. Therefore I think we should amalgumate some of the positions. Put foreign affairs with military or with prime fucntion, put science and social engineering with internal affairs or second function. I would propose having:
  • Prime Function
  • Second Function
  • State (or Internal) Function
  • Diplomatic Function
That would be like many RL nations, with leader, deputy, home or state minister and foreign minister. They are the 4 main positions in the UK (Blair, Prescott, Blunkett and Straw) and in the US (Bush, Cheney, Powell and Rumsfeld). I don't think we will ever fill 7 positions, with only 10 or 11 people, and I would like to se the occasional election. Do we need more than 4? With a faction our size, I doubt it, and even when we do, having 7 will mean many go unfilled and so the Prime Function and Second Function will have much to do. I think this would be the best IMHO.

When we get this sorted out, I will draft a constitution for everyone to look at and scrutinise, and after a few drafts, we should get the layout of our faction. It will be based on the old one, but with less burocracy, beiugn that we are far more efficient than the Peacekeepers, and do not need to model buyrocracy into it. Is this a good idea? I would expect to do it at the weekend, or next week, whenever this is sorted out.

Old June 26, 2003, 18:59   #24
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

I agree with Drogue. However I wont stand, due to my not knowing what I'm doing.
Old June 27, 2003, 00:37   #25
Corellion
Prince

A rational plan Prime Function. And it certainly adds some real competition into the elections.
Old June 27, 2003, 18:30   #26
Drogue
staff

Have polled for which system here.

Old June 29, 2003, 11:56   #27
Maniac

Ok, should we hold another nomination session, or should we just make the current new government official:

Prime Function: Drogue Beta-8
Second Function: Mani Alpha-3
Diplomatic/Foreign/External Affairs Function: Function Delta
State/Domestic/Internal Affairs Function: Corelli Omega-9

Also what about the titles for these officials? Should we hold another poll? Should we ignore the previous poll with all those abbreviation proposals?
Old June 29, 2003, 12:33   #28
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

(Drogue as elijah still) Leave them as they are. DBTS said that he is happy to do the foreign side of it. It seems fine, unless anyone objects. I think we should do a thread for ideas for names, as a group, and then vote on which group to accept, so that they all fit together. We have the original "Director of ..." set, my "... Function" set, and any others people suggest. I think we should do it as sets though so we dont get some of one and some of another picked which will look weird and be hard to use.