Old June 16, 2003, 04:36   #1
academia
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 23:48
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Alien Invasion!!!
Ok guys, this idea came to my mind some hours ago. To be honest, i have thought about it several times before... but i never took it seriously.
Well, the idea is simple and not very "original". However, i havenīt seen a good civ2 scenario about this topic

Alien invasion to the Earth!!!! Holy s h i t!!! We are doomed!!!
What do you think about it?

Some issues iīd like to discuss with you (bah, i need your opinions, ideas, comments, etc.)
1) I was thinking on a 5-6 (playable) human civs vs. 1 Alien Superpower (playable too)
So, which human civs would you choose?

2) When does it take place? Iīm not sure about it... year 2000? in the 90s? 2003?
I donīt know. Give me ideas and defend them, ok?

3) How will the invasion take place? I mean, the strategy of the aliens.
Global nuclear attack? Attack the main capitals? Land their troops inmediatly? Try to gain control of the air first? Land everywhere? Set up some bases first and then strike the most powerful countries?
I donīt know, post anything you think here.

Well, for the moment those are the main 3 topics i have to deal with. Feel free to say anything you think about this idea.
As usual, your ideas, comments, critics, etc. are all welcome
Old June 16, 2003, 05:35   #2
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 04:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1) Is dependent on when you chose to set your scenario

2) Modern day is always good, but then again so is near future (10-20 years on). The alternate-history genre has been done to death with scenarios recently, so I wouldn't recommend that.

3) What are the aliens objectives? It seems pointless to travel all that way just to raze all our cities to the ground and contaminate the planet, so think what we might do if we wanted to take control of a country and try and amplify that to a global setting.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old June 16, 2003, 06:04   #3
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
I just thought about this again myself this night. Except I had one specific scenario in mind: Independence Day!

It needn't actually try to model the movie exactly, but at least it would provide us with a ready-made story and ideas about a date, units, objectives etc.
Old June 16, 2003, 10:44   #4
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:48
How about one set in the Victorian era? There's actually a number of sites dedicated to sci-fi miniatures from the 1890's.

Either that or the '50s, the golden age of the space invasion B movie.

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old June 16, 2003, 13:59   #5
academia
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Paul Hanson:
Quote:
2) Modern day is always good, but then again so is near future (10-20 years on). The alternate-history genre has been done to death with scenarios recently, so I wouldn't recommend that.
Yep. Thatīs why i donīt want to create an alternate-history scenario in the past. I wanna make it right now, in the year 2003

Quote:
3) What are the aliens objectives? It seems pointless to travel all that way just to raze all our cities to the ground and contaminate the planet, so think what we might do if we wanted to take control of a country and try and amplify that to a global setting.
Thatīs exactly the point!!!
In a way, we have to think as aliens who are going to invade the Earth. If you were an alien, why would you invade the Earth? How would you do it? To enslave human beings? Take over our natural resources?
As you said, contamination could be a problem... so, iīm not sure about the use of nukes in this scenario...

Mercator:
Quote:
I just thought about this again myself this night. Except I had one specific scenario in mind: Independence Day!
Yes... in some way iīd like to do something similar. Use a similar plot

Quote:
It needn't actually try to model the movie exactly, but at least it would provide us with a ready-made story and ideas about a date, units, objectives etc.
Yep. I agree with you.

Techumseh:
Thanx for your ideas, but I prefer to do a more ID4 style scenario
Old June 16, 2003, 14:19   #6
Mike K.
Settler

Local Time: 19:48
As long as the aliens aren't defeated by uploading a computer virus to their mother brain (I guess they all run windows 95).
Old June 16, 2003, 21:19   #7
Elok
Emperor

As for motive, I'd like to point out that human meat is supposed to be just about the juiciest, tenderest, most succulent roast you can get. That's why there are so many non-ritual cannibals in undeveloped countries. Why shouldn't we be an intergalactic delicacy?

BTW, has anyone ever tried to make an adaptation of the original War of the Worlds? If so, where could I find it?
"May I be forgiven for the ills that I have done/Friends I have forsaken and strangers I have shunned/Sins I have committed, for which others had to pay/And I haven't met the whiskey that can wash those stains away."
-Brady's Leap, "Wash."
Old June 16, 2003, 21:38   #8
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 21:48
Here's a web page on WOTW miniatures gaming. I'm not aware of any Civ2 scenario. http://www.zeitcom.com/majgen/70wow.html

www.tecumseh.150m.com
Old June 17, 2003, 03:54   #9
Mercator
Emperor

Local Time: 05:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Elok
BTW, has anyone ever tried to make an adaptation of the original War of the Worlds? If so, where could I find it?
I'm not sure if that can really be very interesting. Since the Martians pretty much outclassed us and were defeated by bacteria.

Then again, maybe it could be designed as some sort of a "blitz scenario". You play the Martians and have X turns to go as far as possible... Or you play the English and try to contain them as much as possible (sort of like the end of JB's Conquest of Mexico scenario).
Old June 17, 2003, 06:55   #10
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 04:48
There has been a War of the Worlds scenario, but it wasn't particularly good (it used the Jules Verne graphics as a base and was set in Britain). The AI simply couldn't handle the Martians particularly well, so they just sat their War Machines in their cities while the British player bombarded them to death with heavy artillery.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.