View Poll Results: Would you like to see a custom map for the PTWDGII?
Yes 13 56.52%
No 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6, 2003, 19:14   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PTWDGII: Custom Map
Would you support a custom map made by Thrumble/redstar1?

Yes/No. If people want it, then we need to get the guys cracking on the map soon, so this one is official. 5 days.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 19:46   #2
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Sure

Anyways, I'd like to be in on it too... even if it is just to watch.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 19:53   #3
ThePlagueRat
PtWDG RoleplayCTP2 Source Code ProjectACDG Peace
King

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I want to be in just to watch too... of course.
Old May 6, 2003, 20:00   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 22:49
no. because people are morons who make stupid maps that aren't what people vote for.

Old May 6, 2003, 20:17   #5
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
no. because people are morons who make stupid maps that aren't what people vote for.

King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:04   #6
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:

Uber - give it a rest. Please.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:51   #7
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:49
I would rather use a completely random computer generated map.

Once generated, get a non player to review it, to ensure there are no really bad starting positions.

An interesting human made map can never give each team an equal chance. So lets not try, and just use a random one.
Old May 6, 2003, 21:51   #8
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 21:49
When did redstar get involved? I saw that Thrumble and Panzer32 vounteered first but when did redstar replace them?
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2003, 21:54   #9
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

Panzer too. They can all work together, they're just the ones who have expressed interest in helping out... no one is replacing anyone in the task.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:21   #10
Darekill
PtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Neu Demogyptica
Prince

Not that I wouldn’t trust in the craftsmanship of the named persons, but I’d prefer a random generated map, that someone checks before we start that the Monty Python team has the best place to start from.

Without joke I just like the random map's better they are somehow less predictable and if someone have an eye on the starting locations that no one will end up on a place that is significant worse than some others it would be the way I wanted it to be.

Last edited by Darekill; May 7, 2003 at 01:37.
Darekill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 01:27   #11
Octavian X
Civilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HivePtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy GameACDG3 GaiansC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
King

I'd rather not. It's rather discomforting when you know there's an all-knowing person out there. Besides, the Monty Python team wants all teams to have good starting positions.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:59   #12
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Octavian X
I'd rather not. It's rather discomforting when you know there's an all-knowing person out there.
Good thing you're not in the first game then.
Old May 7, 2003, 02:34   #13
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:49
Quote:

My belief is that Morons make replies like this....
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 02:42   #14
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:

Considering all the time Togas and BFM spent making that map I think a little bit of friggin courtesy should be in order.

Now, if we think we are SOOO good at Civ3 then we should be able to win it no matter what map we have. Why did we choose deity in the first place? So that the mapmakers would give us so many advantages that it would be just as easy as an emperor game? Now, what's the point in playing deity if you play it the only way you think you can win? To me, "winning at deity" means you can win it no matter what map you have...

So, if you are pissed off about the map, deal with it, if you are pissed off that we're going to get our butts kicked in the SPDG then it's not the map's fault but our own.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 02:44   #15
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
I would rather use a completely random computer generated map.

Once generated, get a non player to review it, to ensure there are no really bad starting positions.

An interesting human made map can never give each team an equal chance. So lets not try, and just use a random one.
I like this idea in any case they could do just some minor tweaking.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old May 7, 2003, 02:51   #16
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:49
A map made by humans can have a little fun added to it; the whole reson for this second game. I say go for the custom map; I'm sure all starting locations will be equally good/bad.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 05:47   #17
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:49
hi ,

random generated , .... huge , mixed , we should generate one that is good , some cont with some islands , .....

, why dont we play on a world map $

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 06:17   #18
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
, why dont we play on a world map $
Because then all the teams would know the general shape of the world and where the other continents are even before they've explored the map themselves. That would remove one of the elements of surprise and fun in the game, IMHO.
Also, huge is just too big. The game would move on a lot slower, which is not ideal for a team-PBEM. Besides, IIRC the map size was already decided (standard) so it doesn't matter anymore.
- Phantom of the Opera
Shiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 06:35   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiber

Because then all the teams would know the general shape of the world and where the other continents are even before they've explored the map themselves. That would remove one of the elements of surprise and fun in the game, IMHO.
Also, huge is just too big. The game would move on a lot slower, which is not ideal for a team-PBEM. Besides, IIRC the map size was already decided (standard) so it doesn't matter anymore.
hi ,

slower , ....

the bigger the map is the more starting locations there are on it , ..... way more fun , way bigger empires , ...

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 08:35   #20
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Did Aeson join the PtWDG II game? If not, he may be the perfect candidate to check/review the generated map. Of course, there a certain risk that he will color it in orange, but hey, you can't get both quality and cheap price in the same time! The solution is of course to bribe him with an expensive orangesoda
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 09:21   #21
Panzer32
Emperor

Of course (I think), the human map would be largely based off a generated map. Then we make small changes we deem necessary.
---------
May God Bless.
Old May 7, 2003, 10:20   #22
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Did Aeson join the PtWDG II game? If not, he may be the perfect candidate to check/review the generated map. Of course, there a certain risk that he will color it in orange, but hey, you can't get both quality and cheap price in the same time! The solution is of course to bribe him with an expensive orangesoda
Aeson has "joined" the game, but he belongs to no team right now.
Old May 7, 2003, 11:35   #23
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I like the idea of humans tweaking a random map.

The creator(s) can have the map generator spit out maps until it produces one with promise, and then changes can be made as needed to make sure nobody is totally screwed.

Note that making sure that nobody is totally screwed is not the same thing as balance. I don't particularly want perfect balance (and am unsure there is such a thing anyway, because there are so many variables). I'd just rather not have anyone get stuck with a "So Very Cold..." type start spot.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 11:56   #24
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

something that came across a chat with some players , why we dont ask people from an other site to make us a map , ...

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 13:27   #25
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:

hi ,

slower , ....

the bigger the map is the more starting locations there are on it , ..... way more fun , way bigger empires , ...

have a nice day
Yes and much much slower too

we want the game to be over one day

Old May 7, 2003, 13:38   #26
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen

Yes and much much slower too

we want the game to be over one day
hi ,

slower , some people talk as if it takes a full day in between turns , .....

how many turns are we going to be doing a week , a day , a month , .... so it does not matter a lot , .....

have a nice day
Old May 7, 2003, 14:05   #27
Master Zen
Deity

the time it takes to play the turns is not the issue, it's how long it will take to finish the game. One larger maps empires become bigger and thus more difficult to finish off.

Old May 7, 2003, 14:07   #28
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
That's exactly why a game played on a huge map will be slower.
First of all, there'll be more micromanagement to be done each turn. Second of all, teams will meet up later rather than sooner, which means that the aggressive tech trading will start a lot later.

Quote:
slower , some people talk as if it takes a full day in between turns , .....
Yes, we are. That happened all the time in the current-running PTWDG. Sometimes a single turn it took even more than two full days... mainly GS and Vox's fault, I admit. Okay, mostly just GS's.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old May 7, 2003, 14:17   #29
Thirgaral
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG2 Sunshine
Warlord

I voted Yes...

Just make sure there is a really sunshiny place for us in Team Sunshine

Thirgaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2003, 14:26   #30
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thirgaral
I voted Yes...

Just make sure there is a really sunshiny place for us in Team Sunshine

Would you like a desert start? There's lots of sun there.
- Phantom of the Opera