Old June 3, 2003, 17:30   #1
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 03:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The best laid plans of Cake or Death
Quote:
Poetry! Poetry is very similar to music, only less notes and more words. And there was a Scottish poet named Rabbie Burns- Rabbie Burns to Scottish people, Robbie Burns to English people, and Rabbi Burns to Jewish people.
And he wrote poetry, he wrote a big ****ing book of poetry, but one of his most famous lines is “The Best Laid Plans O' Mice and Men Aft Gang Aglay,” meaning “The best laid plans of mice and men often go wrong.”
And because it’s poetry, people go, (mimes stroking beard) “Oh, I know what you mean there, Robbie, yes… ****ing plans ganging aglay by a ****ing truckload…” And being a poet, he must have observed humanity, must have said, “Men. Men make plans. These plans go wrong. Go wrong once, twice… often! Often, a number of plans I’ve seen go wrong… Possible idea for a poem…”

And then he must have turned his attention to the other animal mentioned in that line of poetry. If you think back to it, “The best laid plans of mice and men…” Exactly which mice plans was he really honing in here on? The best laid ones go aglay, some of the worse laid ones are okay? Some of them get through? He was ****ing off this trolley!
NOTE: This isn't posted as a poll to make sure that only team member's votes are counted.

What Civ do we want to be? The choices are

* English
* Romans
* French
* Random
* Something Else - please write-in

This poll will close the day before the game starts (whenever that is). Obviously if we want the same Civ as another team we'll have to negotiate with them and maybe fall back to our second-placed choice.

We can discuss things here as well, you don't have to just vote.

Quote:
“See, mice also make plans, unbeknownst to most people. They plan to get cheese! They run, they scamper… Oh, one’s fallen over! No cheese today… Oh, plan two: they’ve got three, another one’s got a stick, he’s gonna put the stick into the mousetrap… No, he’s broken the stick! What a jessie! Plan three – Oh, they’ve got a flip chart now! Very serious… there’s a lot of mise surrounding the meeting, and they’re having a discussion… Oh, good plan this, probably! Their best laid plan, I believe… I could just hear what they’re saying. One mouse is going,

“You aren’t supposed to blow the bloody doors off! Told you about that… What are you doing, coming in here, and making such a fracas? Now tell me the plan.”

“Well, we’ll drive the Minis into the square…”

“No, piazza.”

“Oh, it’s piazza, Charlie? And we load the cheese in the back of the Minis, and we drove it at you during a football match.”

“That’s right. Wallop, wallop, wallop, into the big coach driven by William, rounding in the Alps, and we’re free. And you’re sitting in the back, and you’re not having a migraine, and you’re gonna shut your face.”

“All right, Charlie.”

(as Burns, still taking notes) “Meanwhile, back in London, the Chief Mouse is talking to the prison governor-

“Somebody has broken into my toilet.”

“Well, I’m terribly sorry.”

“Get on to Camp Freddy, I want Charlie Crocker given a good going-over.””

Sorry, but if you haven’t seen “The Italian Job” this is all meaningless, by the way, but then if you haven’t seen it you probably haven’t lived…

Last edited by FrustratedPoet; June 3, 2003 at 17:37.
FrustratedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2003, 23:01   #2
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 23:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
quote:
“See, mice also make plans, unbeknownst to most people. They plan to get cheese! They run, they scamper… Oh, one’s fallen over! No cheese today… Oh, plan two: they’ve got three, another one’s got a stick, he’s gonna put the stick into the mousetrap… No, he’s broken the stick! What a jessie! Plan three – Oh, they’ve got a flip chart now! Very serious… there’s a lot of mise surrounding the meeting, and they’re having a discussion… Oh, good plan this, probably! Their best laid plan, I believe… I could just hear what they’re saying. ......"

Vox in action.
Old June 4, 2003, 02:08   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:49
We must play as the English. We'll be able to go around, taking everyone's territory, and there'll be nothing they can do about it, since we will have a flag!
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 04:30   #4
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Hello boys...... still waiting for the game to start I see Well, here's my contribution to the game so far, joining a team, and requesting the Romans, for the usual dogfood reasons (or we could play as the Greeks, and try to get constuction as soon as possible - to make concrete for our feet)

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 06:01   #5
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 05:49
No real preference, the Izzard theme works on soooo many levels that it doesn't really matter .

Let's go random
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 08:11   #6
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:49
English or Romans, with a slight preference for Mr. Dog.
Old June 4, 2003, 09:04   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Plumbers
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 09:34   #8
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

1st choice England, 2nd choice Rome (and, of course, the Emperor Fabulous. I can be "really interesting guy," the power behind the throne).

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 09:44   #9
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Being the Romans would be kindof a problem, since we'll have to speak with a latin accent... which is really just made up because noone knows what a latin accent sounds like, everyone who spoke latin is dead now! We'll have to make it up.
We could be the Germans, build our first cathedral and then say "waiten ein minuten". Or we could invent tanks and perform the Heimlich Maneuver.
- Phantom of the Opera
Shiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2003, 19:52   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Naw, if we're Rome we get to buzz around on motor scooters, and say "Ciao!"
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old June 4, 2003, 19:56   #11
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

As the Carthagians, we can come down the alps with huge upside-down squirrels with a tail. Or as the Americans, we can put babies on spikes (which goes well with their industrious trait). Taste of chicken!
As Germany or Japan, we can parachute into war zones and say "No no, we've tried that already, believe us, it doesn't work out".
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 4, 2003, 20:19   #12
Theseus
Emperor

I think we should stay away from anything having to do with chickens...

Old June 9, 2003, 00:21   #13
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 20:49
I still need a color and an icon, please report in the Team registry thread.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2003, 04:51   #14
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I'm gonna vote for Romans.

"Hello, we are the Romans - we're gonna come in your country and take all your things" (said in a Mexican accent for some reason )
Old June 9, 2003, 13:57   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

As far as I can tell, that puts us at 3 votes for Rome and 2 votes for England, with several other people suggesting things but not actually choosing one.

Rome:

FP
Big Crunch
Jamski

England:

Arrian
ixnay

Don't we need to get a move on here?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 9, 2003, 16:39   #16
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

members who haven't voted = Shiber, Theseus, alva.

It is worth noting that I believe the Latin Lover team want Rome and the Monty Python team want England. Whichever of these Civs we choose will have to be fought for over a coin-toss anyway, so we could easily end up with either or neither of them.
Old June 9, 2003, 16:45   #17
Arrian
Deity

Bah! Imagine that, teams fighting over who gets to be England!

Ok, so step 1 is to pick a first choice between Rome & England. Step 2 is to do the "coin toss" thing with the other team(s). Step 2.5, concurrent with step 2, is to pick a backup.

Potential backups:

Babylon (...THE HANGING GARDENS OF BABYLON, and then Switzerland)

America (Lead by the ****ING DONUT!)

France (we'd have to be kind of ****ing french at times. And eat sandwiches when we're supposed to be doing other things).

-Arrian

Old June 9, 2003, 16:48   #18
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

You'll have to fight Tabemono for France :P
ZargonX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2003, 17:58   #19
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I thought I already said CoD gets England?
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2003, 18:12   #20
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32
I thought I already said CoD gets England?
Thanks for letting us know.

I missed your post in the other thread so was unaware that you'd already decided on our Civ for us.
Old June 9, 2003, 18:26   #21
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Yay! Does this mean we'll be England then? Cool - we can spread amusement just with our Civ choice. (Although I wanted Rome, England is more amusing)

-Jam
Old June 9, 2003, 20:14   #22
Theseus
Emperor

For an alternate, what about Celts?

We can wear white robes, grow long beards, and be sexy in a late-night telly kinda way.

We even have our own GW: "We'll build THE BIGGEST HENGE IN THE WORLD!!!"

Old June 9, 2003, 23:25   #23
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

If you are not England, Monty Python gets England, Tabemono gets France.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2003, 04:54   #24
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Shall we just settle with England, guys?

If we decide to give it up and go with Rome we'll still have to have a coin toss for it. France is already taken too so our 3rd choice would also be contested.

I fully realise that Rome was ahead in the votes, but I would suggest that we just save everyone the bother of juggling Civ picks around any further and just stick with what we've got.

Is that OK?

If so, we need to decide on a Civ colour. EnglishOrange has already been taken. Can anyone say what the alternated colour is for England? What colour would we like?
Old June 10, 2003, 06:15   #25
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Pitty we can't have lot's of colors
-
Hey, you're the teamleader, you decide !!
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2003, 06:18   #26
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

It's supposed to be a Democracy game - I have to at least give people the opportunity to vote.
Old June 10, 2003, 06:22   #27
Jamski
Deity

Lilac/purple.

Its a nice coulor for lipstick

-Jam
Old June 10, 2003, 08:54   #28
Shiber
Emperor

Blue, like Eddie's favorite dress.
And if you don't think that blue is the best color in the world... then you should!
- Phantom of the Opera
Old June 10, 2003, 09:45   #29
Arrian
Deity

Don't care about the colour, let's stick with England (though I admit Theseus has something there with the Celts... ).

-Arrian

Old June 10, 2003, 18:50   #30
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 04:49
If we don't get England or Rome go with being America, and make our leader name Crazy Eddie.