Old June 16, 2003, 23:46   #31
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The new uniforms look....vaguely like Lonestar's avatar....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:48   #32
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
BTW, the head of that Zeus in DD's image is about four meters across, IIRC.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:48   #33
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 23:53
In the future, the war will be faught with unmanned robots. Mechwarriors if you will

If such robots will have legs, they won't have less than eight.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:49   #34
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
BTW, the head of that Zeus in DD's image is about four meters across, IIRC.
I'm pretty sure that's an Atlas.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:50   #35
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

It doesnt look like anything you mentioned! its not robocop, its not lonestars avatar, It looks like the USMC (united states colonial marine) from Alien VS predator!
Old June 16, 2003, 23:56   #36
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Damn, you're right, it's an Atlas. Doh!

I prefer the Ryoken II:

"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old June 17, 2003, 00:59   #37
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I wonder how the troops in Iraq could survive the summer heat in one of those suits.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 17, 2003, 01:02   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 20:53
In a popular science magazine a while back they described suits that had cooling systems in them. But they actually aren't invented yet. Those are a long way off.
Old June 17, 2003, 01:05   #39
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 14:53
I think it looks more like Starship Troopers.
Old June 17, 2003, 01:06   #40
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I think it looks more like Starship Troopers.
They need mini-nukes.
Old June 17, 2003, 01:08   #41
DanS
Deity

I think the heads-up-display eyepieces are cool. Why not just integrate it into the current night vision goggles assembly?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 17, 2003, 01:31   #42
DanS
Deity

Here's the real Objective Force Warrior stormtrooper...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ofw4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	47911  
Old June 17, 2003, 02:00   #43
Timexwatch
King

Quote:
But the program's sophisticated technology has raised questions about operability on the real-world battlefield. The Army has never deployed such complicated software, and some industry officials worry that glitches could endanger troops.
I shiver for the troops equipped with Microsoft Windows. One BSOD and you're toast
Old June 17, 2003, 02:37   #44
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
I wonder how the troops in Iraq could survive the summer heat in one of those suits
I actually have an Idea for this one: CPU-like fans on body parts, that would feed from a powersource in the back, that could be recharged manually ( i.e. turning around something a lot of times ).

Oh, and here's the Israeli plans. ahem, we're still alpha-testing.

Old June 17, 2003, 07:08   #45
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 05:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Quote:
I wonder how the troops in Iraq could survive the summer heat in one of those suits
I actually have an Idea for this one: CPU-like fans on body parts, that would feed from a powersource in the back, that could be recharged manually ( i.e. turning around something a lot of times ).

Oh, and here's the Israeli plans. ahem, we're still alpha-testing.

hi ,

ssssst , we are further advanced then that btw , .....

the paris airshow is proof to that , ......

anyway , them mechs are not outdated stuff neither guys , the french , the US and Israel are all doing research in to that , aldo on a small scale , .....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 07:27   #46
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 04:53
Unbeknownst to you all, the Japanese actually have an entire army of mechs that they could unleah at a moments notice, if their constitution would allow them to deploy more than 3 administrative staff to any one crisis zone at a time.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old June 17, 2003, 07:29   #47
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Hanson
Unbeknownst to you all, the Japanese actually have an entire army of mechs that they could unleah at a moments notice, if their constitution would allow them to deploy more than 3 administrative staff to any one crisis zone at a time.

hi ,

huh , they have put a larger number then that in the gulf till this day , .....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 07:32   #48
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 04:53
I'm exaggerating, of course.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.
Old June 17, 2003, 07:34   #49
Proteus_MST
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
I'm pretty sure that's an Atlas.
I always prefered the old Design of the AS7-D

In the Battletech Boardgame I always played rather with 3025er Tech than with the new 3050er Technology
(although I´ve got to admit that the Gauss-Rifles are cool )
Old June 17, 2003, 07:35   #50
Az
Emperor

panag is a well-known party pooper.

Panag: Somehow I don't see the Paris AIR show as a place to show Israeli INFANTRY equipment.
Old June 17, 2003, 08:31   #51
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
panag is a well-known party pooper.

Panag: Somehow I don't see the Paris AIR show as a place to show Israeli INFANTRY equipment.
hi ,

the paris air show is also a defense shopping market for all kinds of military hard and software , ....

and if you would visist some isareli defense sites you would have known that , ....

"party pooper" , ..... lets see whet they post you with the golanis , ....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 08:35   #52
Az
Emperor

Golanis are a bunch of trigger happy loons.

Golanis: Shoot first Then think.
Paratroopers: Think first, then shoot.
Givati: They think that they shoot.
Nahal: They've got a great band.

Old June 17, 2003, 08:39   #53
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Golanis are a bunch of trigger happy loons.

Golanis: Shoot first Then think.
Paratroopers: Think first, then shoot.
Givati: They think that they shoot.
Nahal: They've got a great band.

hi ,

you forgot some , ...

or are you going to the bedouins on the jordan border , .....

anyway , there is a huge site from the MFA each year on the paris defense show ( somewhere ) , and there was a radio interview on glz yesterday , .....

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 08:41   #54
Az
Emperor

I am not combat, panag.

It seems that I'll be in intel.
Old June 17, 2003, 08:45   #55
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
I am not combat, panag.

It seems that I'll be in intel.
hi ,

good , they have forwerd observers in the frontline also , ....

and they always need liason officers with combat units , .....

anyway , there is a great interview going on right now on glz

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 08:46   #56
Panag
Emperor

hi ,

found it , here it is in english > http://www.airshow.mod.gov.il/

see , we are everywhere

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 08:54   #57
Az
Emperor

Quote:
see , we are everywhere
Old June 17, 2003, 09:36   #58
Panag
Emperor

DoD engineers are developing the 2010-era Objective Force Warrior even before the next-generation Land Warrior is fielded in 2004. The U.S. Army’s Objective Force Warrior (OFW) soldier ensemble is a lightweight, fully integrated individual combat system, including weapons, head-to-toe individual protection, netted communications, soldier worn power sources, and enhanced human performance aids.

As part of its transformation to the Objective Force, the U.S. Army has embarked on a major Science and Technology (S&T) program supporting the development, demonstration, and fielding by 2012 of revolutionary Objective Force Warrior (OFW) Systems. It will complement the on-going efforts to develop platform-based revolutionary capabilities (i.e., Future Combat System, Future Rotorcraft, etc.) to realize the Army Transformation and the Objective Force vision. The Natick Soldier Center has been charged by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Research and Technology) (DAS(R&T)) with developing a full spectrum proposal with roadmap for a robust OFW S&T program. OFW is expected to be a system of systems and provide revolutionary capabilities for the individual war fighter and small units. It is necessary to exploit advanced and emerging technologies to make this a reality, and the OFW Team is casting a wide net to identify technologies being developed that can contribute to the revolutionary capabilities to meet the OFW war fighter needs.

Historically, researchers have devised upgrades to current equipment. The Objective Force Warrior program tossed out the current system of individual equipment in its entirety and designed a new "integrated, holistic" system from the skin out. Land Warrior system adds many new capabilities to the current system of field gear through an electronic component soldiers will carry. The Objective Force Warrior system, scheduled for fielding in 2008, completely integrates these electronic capabilities. Soldiers will never again have to wear cumbersome night-vision or infrared goggles or heavy laser training components on their helmets. These and other features - thermal sensors, day- night video cameras, and chemical and biological sensors -- are fully integrated within the helmet. It also includes a visor that can act as a "heads-up display monitor" equivalent to two 17-inch computer monitors in front of the soldier's eyes. The uniform system is a multi-function garment working from the inside out, Degay said. It incorporates physiological sensors that allow the soldier, the chain of command and nearby medics to monitor the soldier's blood pressure, heart rate, internal and external body temperature, and caloric consumption rate. Commanders and medics can access the information through a tactical local area network. Heat and cold injuries are responsible for a large percentage of casualties in both battle and training. But if a medic can monitor a soldier's vital signs, many of these types of injuries can be prevented. If a soldier is injured, medics can start making an assessment before they even get to an injured soldier.

The Objective Force Warrior system has a built-in "microclimate conditioning system." Degay explained the private climate-control system has a "spacer fabric" that's a little bit thicker than a regular cotton T-shirt. The garment has "capillaries" that blow hot or cold air through the system. The system's many functions are powered by fuel cells, which have been described as "cell phone batteries on steroids."

A primary concern in designing the Objective Force Warrior system is overall weight carried by individual soldiers. Soldiers on combat patrols in Afghanistan today typically carry 92 to 105 pounds of mission-essential equipment. This can include extra ammunition, chemical protective gear and cold-weather clothing. The requirement for the Objective Force Warrior system is to weigh no more than 45 to 50 pounds. Many of the system's built-in functions do away with the need to carry extra equipment. The climate-control feature eliminates the need to carry extra clothing. The outer garment has some biological and chemical protection capabilities, reducing the need to carry extra protective gear.

Anything else that's mission-essential but not built in to the individual soldier system will be carried on a "robotic mule." The mule will assist with not only taking some of the load carriage off the individual soldier, but he also provides a host of other functions. Primarily water generation (and) water purification. It's a recharging battery station for all the individual Objective Force Warriors in the squad. It acts as a weapons platform. It has day and night thermal, infrared and forward-looking imaging systems inside the nose of the mule, as well as chemical-biological sensors. The mule can also communicate with unmanned aerial vehicles to give the squad members a true 360-degree image of the battlefield. Currently this capability isn't available below the battalion level. It's a follower, and it can be manipulated and brought forth by any member of the squad. It's essentially a mini load-carriage system that's there for them all the time, which allows lightening the load for the individual soldier, but he has resupply available at a moment's notice.

Project managers from AMC's Natick Soldier Center in Natick, Mass., rolled out a prototype Objective Force Warrior for the Pentagon press corps 23 May 2002.

The OFW S&T program has two phases. In OFW Phase I, the two competing LTI teams will work closely with the Army to develop the OFW concept design and system of systems architecture. In Phase II, the Army downselected to a single LTI to completed preliminary and detailed OFW designs, and then integrate component technologies and subsystems into the OFW system of systems. This LTI approach in the S&T phase of the OFW program seeks to develop technologies faster and to a higher level of maturity in S&T to shorten the time needed in the System Development and Demonstration phase-which will reduce total time needed to develop, test and field OFW by the end of this decade. Each of the two OFW LTI teams received $7.5 million in government funding for the eight-month Phase I effort. Both awards are Other Transaction Agreements for Prototype Projects, authorized under Section 845 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1994, Public Law 103-160, as amended (10 United States Code, Section 2371 note).

On 29 August 2002 the Army announced selection of Eagle Enterprise, Inc., of Westminster, Md., and Exponent, Inc., of Menlo Park, Calif., as Lead Technology Integrators (LTIs) for the concept development phase of the Objective Force Warrior (OFW) Science and Technology (S&T) program.

In June 2003 General Dynamics was awarded the lead technology integration agreement for Phase II of the U.S. Army’s Objective Force Warrior (OFW) Advanced Technology Demonstration program. The OFW program will provide the core network-centric soldier systems deployed by all soldiers by 2010. The $100 million Phase II award is for completion of detailed designs of the Objective Force Warrior system of systems over a 25-month period. There are two additional options: a Phase III 15-month Prototype Development and Demonstration effort estimated to be worth $41 million, and a non-competitive System Development and Demonstration (SDD) phase. The SDD and production phases have a potential value of $1 to 3 billion over a 10-year period.

The General Dynamics’ Objective Force Warrior effort is headed by its Eagle Enterprise unit, a company formed to address technology and “system of systems” integration challenges. Eagle Enterprise was one of two lead technology integrators during the Phase I concept development for OFW.

Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator has nothing over the Objective Force Warrior envisioned by the Army and a team from Oak Ridge National Laboratory and organizations throughout the country. The goal is to develop a high-tech soldier with 20 times the capability of today's warrior and to have that soldier commissioned by about 2010. With advanced technologies, the Army plans to create an overmatch and greatly minimize danger to its soldiers. Innovative technologies would allow a soldier to engage and destroy the enemy at longer ranges with greater precision and with devastating results. Technologies that would make that possible include better communications devices, advanced situational awareness software, chem-bio detection and protection, advanced weapons, and protective equipment. Fatigues and the flak jacket of the past, for example, would be replaced by a system designed to protect a soldier and provide hemorrhage control in case a bullet penetrates. The helmet of the future warrior might be a sealed unit that contains communications, vision enhancements, a laser for target ranging and a heads-up display. While many of the technologies to make the Objective Force Warrior a reality are maturing today, several others, called "breakthrough technologies," have yet to be developed. These include advanced fuel cells, exoskeletons, directed energy lethal and non-lethal weapons, and lethal robotics. The exoskeleton would augment the strength of a soldier and enhance mobility, speed, endurance, range and load-carrying capabilities.

The Army’s vision for the Objective Force Warrior is of a highly lethal, survivable, networked soldier within a small combat team operating across a spectrum of future Army and joint service operations. The soldier will be equipped with self-protection gear, a range of weapons of varying lethality, and will be completely integrated into the fire support and C4ISR components of the Objective Force. The system will provide complete situational awareness, fully integrating the individual soldier into joint and combined arms operations. The Objective Force Warrior will use assets such as robotic cargo transporters, networked sensor fields and unmanned air vehicles. These capabilities will be compatible with the Army’s Future Combat Systems command, control, computer, communications, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR) system now in development as well as with existing and joint service C4ISR assets.

In an effort to develop a warrior system to meet the Army's transformation goals for the Objective Force, the U.S. Army Soldier Systems Center (Natick) is leading a new Army-wide research effort called Objective Force Warrior. The proposed concept for Objective Force Warrior will upgrade Land Warrior and enhance warfighter lethality and survivability by bringing many of the ideas of the Future Warrior concept to reality in the 2010-2012 timeframe. "We're looking for a revolutionary change with the way soldiers fight at the small unit level," said John Munroe, Warrior System Integration Team leader at Natick. "What is revolutionary is still to be determined. It will be a combination of technology advances and fighting capability."

The concept system fits into the Army chief of staff's vision of a mobile, versatile and lethal Objective Force for 2010 and beyond. Objective Force Warrior will be one of the primary pillars in the warrior-centric Objective Force, integrating with and complementing capabilities of the Future Combat System (FCS)-the Objective Force's family of combat vehicles-to change the way the U.S. military will fight in the coming decades.

Although fielding of the Land Warrior system is still 2 years away, a prototype of its successor, the Objective Force Warrior, was demonstrated at the Pentagon on 23 May 2002 by project managers of the Army Materiel Command's Natick Soldier Center in Natick, Massachusetts. The Objective Force Warrior program was developed at the direction of Army Chief of Staff General Eric K. Shinseki. According to project engineer Dutch Degay, developers tossed out the current system of individual equipment and designed a new integrated, holistic system from the "skin out."

The Objective Force Warrior system, which is scheduled for fielding in 2008, integrates and improves on the electronic capabilities inherent in the Land Warrior system. For example, soldiers will not have to wear cumbersome night-vision or infrared goggles or heavy laser training components on their helmets. These and other features, such as thermal sensors, video cameras, and chemical and biological sensors, are integrated fully in the helmet. The helmet also has a visor that acts as a "heads-up display monitor" equivalent to having two 17-inch computer monitors in front of the soldier's eyes. The uniform system is a multifunctional garment that incorporates physiological sensors that allow the soldier, his chain of command, and nearby medics to monitor the soldier's blood pressure, heart rate, internal and external body temperature, and caloric consumption rate. Commanders and medics will be able to access the information through a tactical local area network. The system's built-in climate-control system has a spacer fabric with "capillaries" that blow hot or cold air through the system.

The Objective Force Warrior system is powered by fuel cells and weighs approximately 50 pounds, compared to 92 to 105 pounds of equipment soldiers on combat patrols typically carry today. Many of the system's built-in functions eliminate the requirement to carry extra equipment, and the climate-control feature reduces the need for extra clothing. The outer garment has some biological and chemical protection capabilities, decreasing the requirement for extra protective gear.

Other mission-essential equipment not built into the individual soldier system will be carried on a small, remote-controlled wheeled vehicle called a "robotic mule," which is part of the Objective Force Warrior system. Each squad will have one mule that not only will take some of the load off the individual soldier but also will act as a weapons platform, generate and purify water, and recharge batteries. The mule has day and night thermal, infrared, and forward-looking imaging systems, as well as chemical-biological sensors. It will be able to communicate with unmanned aerial vehicles to give squad members a 360-degree image of the battlefield.

Objective Force Warrior will have "full-spectrum capabilities," meaning troops can use it for any mission from peacekeeping to high-intensity conflicts, and many new capabilities are in store to provide that flexibility. An envisioned ultra-lightweight, multi-functional protective combat ensemble and stealth technology will enhance survivability. An onboard physiological and medical sensor suite will increase performance and sustainability. Hybrid fuel cell and advanced rechargeable batteries would supply the soldier's power needs for at least 72 hours.

Soldier situational understanding would improve by developing a helmet with integrated sensory enhancements, networking with manned and unmanned ground and aerial vehicles, and using a rugged squad communications system. To dominate in combat, the warrior will use an ultra-lightweight family of weapons with advanced fire control distributed across the team and optimized for urban combat. The Future Combat System will aid in synchronizing direct and indirect fire.

As new technologies become available and practical, the concept of the Objective Force Warrior will undergo major upgrades beyond 2010, especially with nanotechnology. Nanotechnology is the ability to manipulate materials on an atomic or molecular scale. The Objective Force Warrior demonstration program is scheduled for fiscal year 2002-2008, then transitioning to Project Manager-Soldier Systems in fiscal year 2008 for system development and testing, and fielding in the 2010-2012 timeframe.

hi ,

found this

have a nice day
Old June 17, 2003, 09:45   #59
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
Damn, you're right, it's an Atlas. Doh!

I prefer the Ryoken II:

Mechs are weak.

Old June 17, 2003, 10:28   #60
Az
Emperor

Yeah, totally!
|
Hey, Joey, I bet you 5 bucks this Mech won't go to far Once he's one leg short.|
*sound of explosion followed by a brief silence, and then a noise of crashing metal*