Old June 16, 2003, 19:01   #1
cookieman
Settler

Local Time: 03:53
Local Date: November 2, 2010
some ideas for new techs
i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for possible new techs that could or rather should be added onto the game. i dont really have any ideas myself, but i was wondering if you guys do
Old June 16, 2003, 19:11   #2
CrONoS
Civ4 SP Democracy GameApolyton UniversityNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Look at the Double your Pleasure Mod!!!
here: http://civ3.bernskov.com/addon.asp
http://civ3.bernskov.com/readme.asp

See ya

"Not by force of arms are civilizations held together, but by subtle threads of moral and intellectual principle." - Russell Kirk
Old July 8, 2003, 12:32   #3
Kal-el
Warlord

Local Time: 19:53
yeah, we have a few new techs in that mod.
Old July 8, 2003, 23:33   #4
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Local Time: 22:53
How about Agriculture, Plumbing, Paper, The X-Ray, Fertilizer, The Remote Control, Photography, Telecommunication, and Relativity? I sure would like too see one of those on Civ4.
While We're at it, it might also be a good idea add at least one of the following: Ballistics, Treatment, Concrete, Statistics, Logic, Classical Mechanics, Biology, Perspective Reasoning, Optics, Hydraulics, Blueprints, Distillation, Naval Aviation, Radar, and Computer Networks.
Furthermore, since we have proceeded further into the future in real life, we may want to bring back Genetic Engineering.
Many of these tech ideas I got from Civ2, CTP2, CTP1, and SMAC, some of which had their names altered. Others I saw at the suggested lists in the Technology section of Apolyton's overview of Civ3. The remaining few I thought up on my own, like Fertilizer.

When and If I manage to think up more techs that I think might make sense, I'll add them.
Old July 9, 2003, 00:47   #5
BigDork
Prince

I think it would be neat if certain techs should be cheaper for certain Civ characteristics.

Warrior Code and Military Tradition would be cheaper for Militaristic. Scientific Method and Writing would be cheaper for Scientific. Map Making and Navigation would be cheaper for Expansionistic. You get the idea.

I don't think it would be a bad idea and would be something else to consider when picking your civ.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old July 9, 2003, 13:26   #6
Greetings
Chieftain

I like that idea, BigDork.
(I just wanted to use his name)
Old July 9, 2003, 14:56   #7
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Suppose we took that idea of being able to research certain types of technology better than other types, and put it into buildings, wonders, and other settings?

Example 1: Hospital doubles the biological/ecological science rate and increases the chemistry science rate by 50%.

Example 2: Workshop increases the construction science rate and increases the chemical science rate by 25%.

Example 3: The Pentagon doubles militaristic science rate.

Example 4: Democracy doubles the socio-economic science rate.

Example 5: Newton's Colledge doubles Mathematical Science and increases chemical science by 25%.

The Library, Academy, University, Publishing House, and Research Lab would each still increase research rates in general, regardless of the type of tech being researched.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:10   #8
Quasar1011
Warlord

Re: some ideas for new techs
Quote:
Originally posted by cookieman
i was wondering if anyone has any ideas for possible new techs that could or rather should be added onto the game. i dont really have any ideas myself, but i was wondering if you guys do
Yes. Fortification, camouflage, imperialism, oceanography, reconnaissance, weather control.

Fortification: If one belives that masonry is too strong an advance, city walls can be assigned to fortification.

Camouflage: the guerilla unit can be assigned here, or a new similar unit with hidden nationality.

Imperialism: In Civ 2 I had my explorers upgrade to conquistadores with this tech. Perhaps civ 3 could grant an advance type of explorer with this tech.

Oceanography: The transport as the best unit of its type? I think not. In Civ 2 the Ocean Freighter/Ocean Liner were modded in. They could hold 12 units and move 8 squares.

Reconnaissance: Observation balloons and blimps could be built with this tech. It lies between theory of gravity and flight.

Weather control: In Civ 2, I had this modded as the last requirement for building a spaceship part, the module. Also, had a lightning bolt as a weapon: Attack 50, but used up like a cruise missile upon hitting target. Long-range movement too.

I usually added printing and satellites in my CIv 2 mods, but Civ 3 already included these.
Old July 10, 2003, 01:29   #9
The_Aussie_Lurker
BtS Tri-League
King

I agree with both Big Dork, and Time Traveller, about how certain buildings and Civ characteristics should influence the research rate for certain techs!! I also feel, though, that resources should appear at different times than they currently do in Vanilla Civ3, and that said resources should influence the research rate for related techs!!
E.g.: You should be able to see oil deposits earlier than combustion, but combustion is easier to research if you have oil deposits (after all, someone who can make a working ICE will do much better than someone who can only draw it on paper!!) Similarly, uranium should influence Nuclear fission, Iron should effect iron working and coal should influence industrialisation!!
Anyway, just a thought.

Yours,
The_Aussie_Lurker.
Old July 10, 2003, 05:12   #10
Flight
Warlord

very good ideas here, i like them all