Old June 16, 2003, 19:25   #1
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 23:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
A Public Appeal to My Fellow GS Citizens
It is with regret that I must assume such a harsh stance in these days of turmoil. But my conscience allows no other course; the 'diplomacy' of late reeks of favor-currying and complacency, and the honor and safety of our great nation demands a Protector... diplomats are just as essential in starting a war as soldiers are in finishing it.

I communicate with you on the world stage, such that our friends and enemies know the depth of my resolve, and the reasons for our hoped-for actions.

WHY WE NEED TO CONTINUE THE WAR ON VOX

You will have remarked upon my absence from the flames of political debate. Indeed I do not think we should be justified in using any but the more sombre tones and colours while our people, Gathering Storm and the sufferors of North Stormia, and indeed the whole of this world, are passing through a dark and deadly valley. I speak not of the personal, but of the Great Game.

The purpose of all war is ultimately peace. And why not have that peace, sooner rather than later?

Because when Gathering Storm makes a pledge, we mean it. We keep our word, and what we begin, we will finish.

Other civilizations do not agree with this premise, and our honor has thus been soiled... if they want peace, nations should avoid the pinpricks that precede catapult shots.

It may be that at some time in the dim future of the world the need for war will vanish: but that time is yet ages distant. As yet no nation can hold its place in the world, or can do any work really worth doing, unless it stands ready to guard its right and honor with an armed hand, and to exercise its own sovereignty when transgressed.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

According to St. Thomas Aquinas, in order for a war to be just, three things are necessary: First, the authority of the sovereign... Secondly, a just cause... Thirdly, a rightful intention.

Do we not possess these three things? Are we not justified?

In war there is no substitute for victory.

Further, why do we bend to the will of other nations? For friendship? I believe this of all but our own: "To come to know your enemy, first you must become his friend, and once you become his friend, all his defences come down. Then you can choose the most fitting method for his demise."

It is an approved maxim in war: Never to do what the enemy wishes you to do, for this reason alone, that he desires it. All that is necessary for evil to triumph, is for good men to do nothing. Beware lest in your anxiety to avoid war, Gathering Storm obtains a master.

THE RISKS TO OUR SAFETY

What do we risk in protracted conflict? Vox? Enfeebled and soon to be enchained. The enmity of other nations? Fine, I say, let them come at us with their words and their steel.

Let them come: We shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!

Never give in. Never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

Arm yourselves, and be ye men of valour, and be in readiness for the conflict; for it is better for us to perish in battle than to look upon the outrage of our nation and our altar.

OUR SOLEMN DUTY

We have accomplished much in turning back the Voxian threat. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. It is foolish and wrong to mourn the soldiers who died; rather we should thank God that such soldiers lived... and concern ourselves with what we owe to them.

The architects of this wickedness will find no safe harbor in this world. We will chase our enemies to the furthest corners of this world. It must be war without quarter, pursuit without rest, victory without qualification.

Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if Gathering Storm lasts for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Last edited by Theseus; June 21, 2003 at 12:49.
Old June 16, 2003, 19:50   #2
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Care for a beer?
Old June 16, 2003, 20:12   #3
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:53
Certainly a good writer.

Pass me a beer.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:09   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
BEER?? What is this 'beer'?!!!

/me want GROG!! Grog good, guzzle guzzle. MORE GROG!!! Tankard of GROG. NO, wait, Grog want TANKARD!!

/me wanders off... GRR, Vox, frickem frackem, catapults HAH!!, #@)*%(#)*%&, stumble stumble, oooh nice pole, standing, we're standing... AAAHHHHH!!!!

/me thinks of his poor lost boys, lost at Inchon, dear sweet...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 16, 2003, 23:44   #5
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

/me hugs Theseus and understands the costs of this war to him personally.

/me finds 2 tankards of Grog to share.

Old June 17, 2003, 10:32   #6
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

NYE, that similie rocks.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old June 17, 2003, 10:35   #7
UnOrthOdOx
PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG Glory of WarApolyton Storywriters' GuildIron CiversApolytoners Hall of FameC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GamePolyCast TeamC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The Goonies
Emperor

That is perhaps the best smilie I've ever seen!!!

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby
Old June 21, 2003, 11:54   #8
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

one more smiliey added to the MZO collection

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)