Old June 22, 2003, 06:39   #241
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 22:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Berzerker:

Quote:
"Do unto others..." vs if you own slaves, treat them well.
Wouldn't you want to be treated well?
Seriously, if Paul endorses slavery, why the qualifier, 'earthly masters?' Why tell the slaves that if you can get free, to do so?

Quote:
Btw, liberatarians don't want to abolish taxation, just the use of taxes to "re-distribute" wealth.
Is there another kind of taxation? A taxation that miraculously avoids redistributing wealth?

Quote:
Did Jesus advocate becoming like Caesar? Did he tell his followers they should "tax" others or do as the Romans do? Jesus was trying to avoid a potential conflict with the Romans when he gave his answer, not just for himself, but for his followers. He wasn't endorsing the state or Caesar as instruments of morality...
No, but he advocated that there are areas where there can be valid civil authority. Taxation is one.

Quote:
Hmm...so much for respecting the "legal authorities".
It's a pretty clear-cut situation. If the government starts systematically slaughtering people, I would think that the government has undercut their own authority.

Quote:
That book is the first we hear of Paul and he quickly became the central player.
That hardly makes him the author!

Quote:
It's Paul's story, he could make anything up.
Quote:
They believed he had converted, I never said he was faking. He may very well have gone to Damascus and become a Christian,
One or the other Berzerker. Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
I already told you, "The Mythmaker". And I didn't say it was embezzlement, just a mis-appropriation of money.
That's an interesting euphemism. It hardly tells me anything. Is there another kind of embezzlement that does not mis-appropriate money?

Quote:
Would you trade places with Christopher Reeves (Superman)? Chewed on an spit out.
Would he agree to the trade?

I'm happy in my own life. What about Mr. Reeves? Do you think he is happy? Do you think that anyone who is crippled can be content?

That's the point I attempted to convey. We all have our own strengths or weaknesses. We all are crippled in one way or another, from someone else more able, faster or stronger. Our happiness has nothing to do with our physical condition, or how smart we are.

Quote:
Religion isn't inherited, so I guess the government can outlaw Christianity and leave Muslims and Buddhists free to practice as they see fit, huh. That wouldn't be discrimination?
Clever. Religion is indeed not inherited. However, Religion does not fall in Canada's section 15, for equality rights, where sexual orientation does. All the other basis for equality are inherited conditions, except for sexual orientation.

Religion falls in section 3, with freedom of speech and expression.

Quote:
The question becomes: did his actions afterward contradict the teachings of Jesus?
No. I don't see any evidence, unless we do what you do; presuppose that Paul lies. You put more faith in the mythmakers than you do in the bible.

Remember, the only record we have of Christ's words comes from the bible. If you tear at one part, you tear at the basis for believing in Christ. If Luke can lie in Acts, why not in the Gospels?
Old June 22, 2003, 15:06   #242
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
blackice:

You are sooo obviously a Zylka DL. I'm surprised I never figured it out earlier.
I'm not sure Zylka could mangle language as blackice does unless he tried very hard.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:16   #243
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:57
Local Date: November 2, 2010
you know....(havent read the total thread) but everbody says yeah canada while certain countries (i wont use names) already had this.....
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 22, 2003, 16:20   #244
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

But the Netherlands is a tiny, unimportant country.
Canada is a huge, unimportant country.

And size matters.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:23   #245
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
The population of the Netherlands is IIRC larger than the population of Canada.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:24   #246
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 20:57
Canada- 31 million
Holland- 16 million

WE WIN!
Old June 22, 2003, 16:31   #247
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 06:57
You sure? Wow. I am sorry then.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:39   #248
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

I'm sure Canadian population per sq km is greater than the netherlands too.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:41   #249
cinch
Warlord

Local Time: 20:57
Proof, sir:

http://www.nidi.nl/data/nidi7100.html

"The population of the Netherlands increased from about 2 million people around 1800 to almost 16 million in 2000. The population is expected to increase even further to 18 million in 2050. "

http://www.statcan.ca/start.html

"Population estimate (January 2003): 31,499,560".

(Just so I don't look like I'm pulling these things outta me arse.)
Old June 22, 2003, 16:53   #250
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

Local Time: 03:57
we have like the 5th most dense populated country in the world....which is pathatic because we only have 16 million people....
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 22, 2003, 17:08   #251
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by mrmitchell
I'm sure Canadian population per sq km is greater than the netherlands too.
Cosidering most of them seem to be located near the US border, I find that easy to believe.
Old June 23, 2003, 11:07   #252
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 23:57
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
Cosidering most of them seem to be located near the US border, I find that easy to believe.
How else would we be able to defend our country from the American Bear?
Old June 23, 2003, 14:59   #253
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Yeah, talk about it...our beer is f*cking water...

OH, you say, BEAR...
Old June 23, 2003, 18:17   #254
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 23:57
Yeah, the Yankiestani Commie Bear is poised to attack the True North, Strong and Free.
Old June 23, 2003, 19:46   #255
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
A church may be challenged under a human rights code for violating someones human rights but there are multiple protections built in there for religious and fraternal groups

I missed this point.

There are built-in protections, the problem is that the courts do not have an interest in upholding these protections.

If we had a more sympathetic court we would not worry, than again, if we had a sympathetic court, we would not be in a mess in the first place.