Old June 19, 2003, 15:27   #91
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
And following her home and watching her undress through the window. That's a riskier approach.
Old June 19, 2003, 15:30   #92
DaShi
Emperor

Local Time: 03:59
Seriously, if you see her there often and need to know her better, just make small talk each time you go until you feel comfortable enough to ask her out. She'll probably feel more comfortable too. Basically, flirting can just be small talk.
Old June 19, 2003, 15:30   #93
Colon™
Emperor

Local Time: 05:59
I've read her calling card, so I could send a private detective after her to find out what she does after working hours.
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:01   #94
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Seriously, if you see her there often and need to know her better, just make small talk each time you go until you feel comfortable enough to ask her out. She'll probably feel more comfortable too. Basically, flirting can just be small talk.
I'm not much of a small talk person and it's hard to come up with a subject in that environment. I don't visit the supermarket very regularly either.

We've made some eye contact, so I'm inclined to ask her for a drink after work flat out.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:17   #95
Solly
Emperor

Local Time: 04:59
Actually, having thought of this thread while perusing credit details of many major UK and US companies today , I came to the conclusion that men do not and should not flirt. Women flirt. Men react..
Old June 19, 2003, 16:22   #96
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 17:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Colon
Anybody have any strategies for this: cute girl working as a cashier at a supermarket in my neighbourhood. I prefer to ask someone out after I got the chance to get to know her a bit but there isn't much of an opportunity to have chat. (obviously) but I've never seen her outside of her workplace either. How do I handle this?
(Speaking from experience) With girls like that (waitress, cashier, etc.), you won't have time to get to know them from chitchat, they way you might with a classmate or coworker. So just ask them out directly. It becomes much more of a go/non-go. Less worryingabout how to aks them, less investment in strategy, etc. Just ask them out directly. I'd advise something reasonably neutral (not a vastly expensive date) so that neigher of you feels too much pressure, since you don't know if you'll even get along that well.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:24   #97
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Genius!

But how about waiting at the entrance until her working day is over?
That's one approach, but I would just do it directly. who cares if there are other people around. Just get the yes or no. you can make arrangements to talk later for logistical details if she doesn't have much time to talk because of customer demands.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:28   #98
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:

I'm not much of a small talk person and it's hard to come up with a subject in that environment. I don't visit the supermarket very regularly either.

We've made some eye contact, so I'm inclined to ask her for a drink after work flat out.
This is the way to go. For all you know, she has a boyfriend and won't go out. (But still smiles with male customers). better to just ask and get the info. I think it always takes some guts to ask someone out, so you can feel good about yourself just for asking even if the answer is no. And human nature being what it is, there is a 50/50 chance she says yes.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:38   #99
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

(Speaking from experience) With girls like that (waitress, cashier, etc.), you won't have time to get to know them from chitchat, they way you might with a classmate or coworker. So just ask them out directly. It becomes much more of a go/non-go. Less worryingabout how to aks them, less investment in strategy, etc. Just ask them out directly. I'd advise something reasonably neutral (not a vastly expensive date) so that neigher of you feels too much pressure, since you don't know if you'll even get along that well.
I knew you'd drop by!

Guess I'll just do that then. Plenty of cosy bars and restos in the neighbourhood so it shouldn't be too hard to arrange something after working hours. (if she wants to)

Lemme take a look at the fridge if there's anything I need to buy tomorrow.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:46   #100
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GP

This is the way to go. For all you know, she has a boyfriend and won't go out. (But still smiles with male customers). better to just ask and get the info. I think it always takes some guts to ask someone out, so you can feel good about yourself just for asking even if the answer is no. And human nature being what it is, there is a 50/50 chance she says yes.
We've also had eye contact when I was in another queue than at her cash register, which gives me a good feeling about this. Besides, cashiers don't smile in Belgium.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:52   #101
Solly
Emperor

Eye contact?

This is going to be nothing but a roaring success...
Old June 19, 2003, 16:54   #102
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Good luck, young duck.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:59   #103
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 22:59
Remember... the worst she can say is no...

When I asked my wife to be for the "first date"... she said no... but quickly followed up with "I'm busy that evening, can we make it Thursday instead"

Good luck... GO for IT !
Old June 19, 2003, 17:06   #104
Makeo
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGames
King

Local Time: 20:59
they laugh in english so that everyone can understand it
Old June 19, 2003, 17:57   #105
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Local Time: 23:59
Besides, cashiers don't smile in Belgium.

Morose freaks!
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 19, 2003, 18:08   #106
Colon™
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's
Eye contact?

This is going to be nothing but a roaring success...
I'll make sure to have a glass of wine before I go shopping though.
Old June 19, 2003, 18:43   #107
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DaShi
Say, "So do you like work here or something?"

Stupid can be cute.
no not stupid, naive
Old June 19, 2003, 18:45   #108
Colon™
Emperor

Shall I try to be both?
DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.
Old June 19, 2003, 18:47   #109
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Just be yourself Colon...ummm...on the other hand, erm, yes, be both

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 19, 2003, 18:47   #110
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Shall I try to be both?
not in excess.
Old June 19, 2003, 18:49   #111
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Just be yourself Colon...ummm...on the other hand, erm, yes, be both
Being urself and spending a good deal of time to get to know her is like the only 2 things u need to worry about.
Old June 19, 2003, 18:59   #112
Colon™
Emperor

I'll try to be more naive than stupid, so that she'll maybe take advantage of me.
Old June 19, 2003, 19:00   #113
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Well it is fine if you seem endearing, but don't do a Mr Bean, please

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old June 19, 2003, 19:04   #114
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
Well it is fine if you seem endearing, but don't do a Mr Bean, please
once again... not in excess.

You can try to be cute by trying take some characteristic that you may think she'll be attracted to, dont get carried away wit it. they'll think ur a freak.

Best bet is to be urself if u dont have any idea of what u are doing.
Old June 19, 2003, 20:06   #115
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

I don't understand why anyone would ever try to be anything more than who they are. If the relationship lasts, honesty must take precedence and the farsical personality will have to go.
Old June 19, 2003, 20:12   #116
Unspeakable Horror
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 00:59
Remember to tell us what happened

*Carlos113 joins the "I suck at flirting" club
The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!
Old June 19, 2003, 20:20   #117
Zero
King

anyways, back on topic.

I just dont flirt at all. And especially wit girls I dont know, I dont see any gains if Im not gonna make some kind of move anyway, and If I was going to make a move I usually take my time to get to know my prey, so theres very little room for flirting wit strangers.
Old June 19, 2003, 20:30   #118
Zero
King

Here's a lil philosohpy on girls. Felt like philosophizing today Im trying to relate my favorite hobby wit it.

getting in a relationship is alot like fishing

Sometimes no matter how much you screw up, the fish will swallow the bait whole because it has already decided to fall for you.

If you wanna catch striped bass, you hang out where bunkers are... If you wanna catch that girl you gotta hang out where her friends are or whatever it gets you with her.

Sometimes they are very picky, and you just need time until they decide whether they will bite or not. If you decide the reel in too soon, you wont get anything, but if ur too hesitant you would have just wasted ur bait and time.

If you dont cast(aka try) you dont catch any fish!

once youve casted the bait, you really cant do much other than just wait for a response.

Ones that get away always seems like the biggest fish you ever could have had....
Old June 20, 2003, 01:04   #119
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 11:59
Quote:
How do I handle this?
You can always go buy a single item at the supermarket at a time, always wait on her line. You could do it several time a day. When she's curious enough to ask you about it, you say, "I am not interested in buying the stuff, I am interested in seeing you more."
Old June 20, 2003, 01:10   #120
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You can always go buy a single item at the supermarket at a time, always wait on her line. You could do it several time a day. When she's curious enough to ask you about it, you say, "I am not interested in buying the stuff, I am interested in seeing you more."
That's cute enough that it could work.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005