Old July 11, 2003, 12:52   #181
Kaos XIII
Warlord

Local Time: 23:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Believe Me! It's been confirmed that the Dutch and Portoguese are in. You just have to pay attention to all the little wink smilies. Hopefully there are 2 civs left and not 1, that are yet to be unconfirmed.
Old July 11, 2003, 12:57   #182
statusperfect
King

Local Time: 06:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Nuclear Master> Carthage is north-african.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 12:59   #183
statusperfect
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaos XIII
Believe Me! It's been confirmed that the Dutch and Portoguese are in. You just have to pay attention to all the little wink smilies. Hopefully there are 2 civs left and not 1, that are yet to be unconfirmed.
It might as well be 7 new civs since the game has a hardcoded limit of 31 civs + barbs.
statusperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 12:59   #184
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 21:00
Woops. Didnt mean to put them in. Was a typo. Well it was Gamespot that said only 7 civs? I think it will be 8 because that's what Atari said.
Tassadar500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 13:07   #185
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Local Time: 04:00
Ok, the Dutch and Portugese are in. :sigh: I know we've seen the leaderheads, but is it definite that the Hittites and Sumerians are in? Is it possible that these are scenario-specific leaderheads?
Old July 11, 2003, 15:28   #186
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

, indeed if Israel is not going to be in , then a couple people shall mod a civ , its practically done , but lets hope we dont need it and the Israeli's are in

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 15:43   #187
bobbo008
Prince

Local Time: 22:00
"If this is the case, I'm dissappointed... not that they didn't contribute to history, but how Eurocentric can you get? And in terms of gameplay, how more crowed can "Europe" get?"

I think with most people playing the game of European decent, they just want to cator to their audience. And when you think two hundred years ago that Europe basically controlled all of the land in the world with their colonies, it makes sense. When I play world maps, I will do things along those lines, such as France in West Africa and Spain in South America.

another point is that it is easier to relate to. Basically, I'm annoyed when civilizations that havent existed for quite some time are intercepting my stealth bombers, such as the Babylonians.

If you still dont like it, look on the bright side: maybe in 20 years there'll just be an EU civ.

edit: and we must not forget how centered on the Middle East the game is, as well. While Europe is crowded with civs, the civs in the Middle East just overlap each other way too much. For example: Egypt, Babylon and most of the Ottoman Empire could just be in the Arabian civ. This isn't to say that Egypt doesn't have a place in the game, it's just its quite hard to play the game when its like this, at least for me. Sorta like how Rome can have Byzantium and the Ottomans can have Istanbul
Old July 11, 2003, 15:59   #188
Yahweh Sabaoth
King

Some of that overlap bothers me as well, and the tendency of the Celts and Carthage to survive to the modern age and be huge, whup-ass empires also is quite irritating. Still, I am of European descent, entirely, but I'm also an (amateur) historian, and with no particular bias (except that I'm quite partial to China), and to the European domination of the world, I must say: yes, Europe did dominate the globe for hundreds of years. But hundreds of years is a small amount of time when written history as a whole is examined.

I have nothing against the Dutch and the Portugese. The more the merrier. But it's the neglect shown to the rest of the world that bothers me. The Turkmen have had a large impact on the history of the world... it's arguable that the Uighurs have had as much impact as the Dutch... the Berbers of North Africa certainly had as much impact as the Celts.

Now, the Portugese DID colonize notably. And I know Atari/Firaxis/Whomever can't alienate a mostly European fan base. Still, it just isn't right. That's like saying the homosexuals can't get married because America was founded on "Christian" values. The statement's true, but what it implies is negative.

And one other twist, sort of contrary to the rest of my argument: Civ could use more civilizations for the Europeans to ANNEX, which is what they did to achieve their dominance after all. What of the Punjabis? The Nez Perce? The Khivans? etc. Putting in more "forgotten" or conquered civs gives more opportunity for the evil-minded civ player - and let's face it, "evil"'s a big part of the appeal of this game - to conquer, slay, enslave, etc.
Old July 11, 2003, 16:06   #189
Wycoff
Prince

What gets me is that they are bringing in the Sumerians and Hittites. I hope that they aren't going to be standard civilizations, because I feel that they are far too small. I think that Babylon, when interepreted loosely, is sufficient to represent the tribes of the ancient near east. After all, doesn't the Babylonian civ include about half of the Sumerian cities? I don't know this period of history that well, but maybe, since the Hittites adopted much of the Babylonian culture, and the Babylonians adopted the Sumerian culture, all of the groups could simply be labeld Sumerian. Or, since the Hitties conquered all of the ancient Mid-East, they coould just be called the Hitiites. In otherwords, though I know that it is historically incorrect, couldn't all three be seen practically as the same culture?

Wouldn't including the Hittites, Sumerians, and Babylonians be like including the Franks and the French? Why not add the Lydians, Chaldeans, etc.? Why not add the Picts, the Anglo-Saxons, the Goths, etc. To sum up, it bothers me that such redundent civs (from the viewpoint of the average 21st century person) are picked in place of Mali, Khmer, Poland/West Slavs, and other, more diverse cultures.

Last edited by Wycoff; July 11, 2003 at 16:19.
Wycoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 16:53   #190
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Wycoff
What gets me is that they are bringing in the Sumerians and Hittites. I hope that they aren't going to be standard civilizations, because I feel that they are far too small. I think that Babylon, when interepreted loosely, is sufficient to represent the tribes of the ancient near east. After all, doesn't the Babylonian civ include about half of the Sumerian cities? I don't know this period of history that well, but maybe, since the Hittites adopted much of the Babylonian culture, and the Babylonians adopted the Sumerian culture, all of the groups could simply be labeld Sumerian. Or, since the Hitties conquered all of the ancient Mid-East, they coould just be called the Hitiites. In otherwords, though I know that it is historically incorrect, couldn't all three be seen practically as the same culture?

Wouldn't including the Hittites, Sumerians, and Babylonians be like including the Franks and the French? Why not add the Lydians, Chaldeans, etc.? Why not add the Picts, the Anglo-Saxons, the Goths, etc. To sum up, it bothers me that such redundent civs (from the viewpoint of the average 21st century person) are picked in place of Mali, Khmer, Poland/West Slavs, and other, more diverse cultures.
Sumerian and Egpy culture go father back may-be as far back as 12000 BCE(Before Common Eras) which mean they are petty old. They found writing in Egpy that goes back to
pre-first dynastic peroid than there was 3 pre-dynastic peroid and the writeing was just as sophiate and complex as the dynastic writeing and there is good evidtion that Egpy was than united kingdom.

The orginate Sumerian where different group of people who die out for than unknow reason it wasnot military in natural they pass they culture on to their friend who live with then near-by the Babylonians.
Old July 11, 2003, 19:21   #191
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Israel should not be included. The only reason why it still exists is constant USA aid.
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 20:23   #192
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

The Byzantines better be in it or I'm going to be one pissed of customer!!! Byzantines rule!!!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2003, 20:30   #193
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
Israel should not be included. The only reason why it still exists is constant USA aid.
hi ,

*sigh*

and now you are going to tell us how much we are going to get to the last dollarcent , and then some-one else is going to write all the technological research that the US gets for free , ......

or some-one is going to point out how the US could not build or research about an abm and used Israel to do so anyway , .....

then someone is going to point that there is for each Israeli a jew or Israeli in the good old US of A and that those people pay taxes in the US also , and then some-one is going to calculate that the portion of what those people pay , only small fraction goes to Israel as "aid" , or some-one with knowledge is going to say and point out that most of that money has to be spend inside the US of A , so the us gains twice , ......

can we please keep this game related , ....... thanks in advance
Old July 12, 2003, 00:04   #194
Sheik
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Israel should not be included. The only reason why it still exists is constant USA aid
oo oo I know, let's take all the civilizations out of the game! You see all these civs at one time were a new nation. Why they succeeded or failed can be very complex. To say Israel shouldn't be included because they get US aid is like saying the US shouldn't be included because we got French help during our revolution. Your arguement is complete rubbish.

Sell your photos
Sheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 00:13   #195
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
Even if it were true, what does it have to do with a game and why are you boring us with politics. This is a game thread and nothing in it is real do you not understand that much?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2003, 03:06   #196
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Yes... this is a GAME THREAD.

If you want to discuss politics, the OTF is the place to go.

NOT HERE... Last warning.
Old July 12, 2003, 14:15   #197
bobbo008
Prince

The Byzantines would definitely be great. Then we could have a Western and Eastern Roman Empire War.
Old July 12, 2003, 15:54   #198
Heresson
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
The Byzantines better be in it or I'm going to be one pissed of customer!!! Byzantines rule!!!
Agree
Old July 12, 2003, 16:02   #199
Heresson
Emperor

Quote:
Even if it were true, what does it have to do with a game and why are you boring us with politics. This is a game thread and nothing in it is real do you not understand that much?
Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Yes... this is a GAME THREAD.

If you want to discuss politics, the OTF is the place to go.

NOT HERE... Last warning.
Civilization is history, and history is politics.
I still believe it is a valid reason for not including it in the game. Israel exists for too short time, and is too little both when it comes to the geographical and population size to be treated as one of the biggest civilizations.

Quote:
oo oo I know, let's take all the civilizations out of the game! You see all these civs at one time were a new nation. Why they succeeded or failed can be very complex. To say Israel shouldn't be included because they get US aid is like saying the US shouldn't be included because we got French help during our revolution. Your arguement is complete rubbish.
No. Your responce to it is rubbish; The French doesn't seem to aid USA anymore, do they? They were needed at the start, Israel is dependant from USA all the time.That's a big difference.
Old July 12, 2003, 16:22   #200
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Right on Heresson the French only help us gain freedom from
English rule. They didnot have to give use contant foreign aid
for the last 227 years of our existance as than nation.

It was not only the French that Help us it was the Prussian General who came over to help train our troop to fight like the Euporean armies did. The Spainish and Dutch also help.
Old July 12, 2003, 18:08   #201
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I think Israel would probably do well with religious and agricultural -- they made the desert bloom.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
The Mad Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2003, 09:01   #202
Orz
Chieftain

Why the existence of Israel *as a civ* is so important? Well, they are definitely/maybe (Armenia) the only old civilization left from the ancient times. And - there are the Americans. How many jews live in America and how many in Israel? Irish (Celts?) should have quite a large amount of descendants in USA also, although I (again) do not know the number... Anyway, I believe that the scientific leaders are the field where the Jews (not Israel) shine brightly, very brightly.

Considering Carthage and Celts are in the list, adding Israel does not sound unjust in spite of their geographically diffuse culture. I'd prefer to see a SE Asian civilization and Ethiopia instead of those, though, because those are surviviving and quite large, unlike the Celts, Aztecs and Iroquis - the "big losers" - and the Jews whose long history is much different.

When talking about cultures overlapping, then whole Europe and Middle east is a ever-changing ever-evolving mix of cultures, starting with the Greeks and ending with the Americans. One culture has become another. I'm not even talking about if the American civ (USA) ever WAS in ancient age! Even the English Civ is a synthesis of Greco-Roman, Celtic and Scandinavian culture!!!

Last edited by Orz; July 13, 2003 at 09:27.
Orz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2003, 09:35   #203
Orz
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I think Israel would probably do well with religious and agricultural -- they made the desert bloom.
Well... The Jews are quite a commercial nation, I think. When we are not talking about the Jews as a nation but about Israel as a state, then Militaristic would be an option, too, wouldn't it?
Old July 13, 2003, 09:40   #204
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Orz

Well... The Jews are quite a commercial nation, I think. When we are not talking about the Jews as a nation but about Israel as a state, then Militaristic would be an option, too, wouldn't it?
hi ,

, industrious , militaristic and religious would be the best , .....

some civ's really should get three traits instead of two , others only one , ......

have a nice day
Old July 13, 2003, 09:45   #205
Orz
Chieftain

Well, European nations have choices of playing Romans, Germans, Greeks - Romanians, Austrians, Albanians for example. The ancient Greeks and nowadays greeks aren't anyway the same nation.
Old July 13, 2003, 12:08   #206
Tassadar500
Emperor

Panag that would easily corrupt the game. Some civs would then have a much easier time winning the game.
Old July 13, 2003, 12:12   #207
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Panag that would easily corrupt the game. Some civs would then have a much easier time winning the game.
hi ,

actually not , not if you balance the game true certain mods , UU , combination of traits , etc , ......

have a nice day
Old July 13, 2003, 12:30   #208
Tassadar500
Emperor

Yes but we shouldnt need to use mods. Yes I am sure a civ that has traits like Commercial, Industrious and Religious will be very fair. If some civs have 3 they all should.
Old July 13, 2003, 12:32   #209
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear Master
Yes but we shouldnt need to use mods. Yes I am sure a civ that has traits like Commercial, Industrious and Religious will be very fair. If some civs have 3 they all should.
hi ,

thats the whole idea , that they rework it themselfs , ......

( Firaxis )

have a nice day
Old July 13, 2003, 14:49   #210
Heresson
Emperor

Modern Jews have much less to do with ancient Hebrews than modern-days Greeks.

Israel made the desert bloom? Cheap propaganda, and nayway, Libya also did...