Old June 19, 2003, 01:34   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 04:01
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PC RPGs
Are there any good single player PC Rpgs or multiplayer ones where I dont have to pay a subscription fee?
Old June 19, 2003, 01:50   #2
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 23:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Temple of Elemental Evil
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old June 19, 2003, 04:19   #3
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Fallout 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Planescape Torment
Neverwinter Nights (MP - no subscription)
Morrowind

This is a recording.....
Old June 19, 2003, 05:58   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 05:01
Yep I can't think of any new ones that haven't already been repeated in the RPG discussion threads.

Temple of Elemental Evil is one I'm really looking forward to. Its 3e D&D, which should make it appeal to a wide audience, and its written by people who made the Fallouts and Arcanum so interesting. Its on a much bigger budget than Arcanum, so the graphics should rock too
Old June 19, 2003, 11:29   #5
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:01
Wizardry 6, 7, 8

This is also a recording
Old June 19, 2003, 12:49   #6
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Morrowind is a great game when it works.
Old June 19, 2003, 18:30   #7
Kc7mxo
King

morrowind had another big expansion pack come out recently i think, big storyline with werewolves or something.

Knights of the Old Republic should be out in a couple months as well, and there's always Lionheart to look forward to as well.
Old June 20, 2003, 00:46   #8
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 00:01
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
The Temple of Elemental Evil
I've lost more characters to that temple than to anything else combined.
Old June 20, 2003, 01:21   #9
DinoDoc
Deity

Can you give me the gist of the plot? The write up I saw in PC Gamer got me interested.
Old June 20, 2003, 09:23   #10
Grumbold
Emperor

The good think about ToEE is that Troika are going one step further with the alternate options gaming.

Depending on your broad alignment (you can't have opposites in the party) you actually start in a different location and have a different objective. The evil characters may actually coming to seek power by siding with the Evil Temple, not destroy it.

The ToEE FAQ
Old June 20, 2003, 17:10   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Can you give me the gist of the plot? The write up I saw in PC Gamer got me interested.
For which game? ToEE? But you linked to that game in the first place .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 20, 2003, 19:01   #12
Victor Galis
Emperor

Actually, I played the module Return to the Temple of Elemental evil. Still means I lost more than a handful of characters to the Temple of Elemental evil. Surely though, given the chance to fight it on my own terms (i.e. after having done every possible side quest to level up extremely much with a handpicked party), the temple will be no match for my crack team of halfling commandoes.
Old June 20, 2003, 19:43   #13
Tuberski

EXCELLENT!!!! I DM'ed the PnP version several times in my younger days. It is one of my most favorites PnP modules.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old June 20, 2003, 21:27   #14
Victor Galis
Emperor

This module allowed me to generate at least one character per week due to its deadliness, and our party's occassional incompetence.

Then there were the random encounters with monsters not in the module while we were walking around. Though I must say I liked the fight with the white dragon. It breathed and I took 13, I breathed back, and it took 68. Then it demonstrated its superiority in melee, but we killed it eventually.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:05   #15
Victor Galis
Emperor

Out of curiosity are there any RPGs similar to the old Masque of the Red Death\Living Death d20 campaign.

Description: It's the 1890s, but there's magic in the world. Not a lot of it, just mostly that some superstitions are true, reading tarot cards is a good and reliable way to predict the future, spell casters have AD&D spells but watered down and high level casters are very rare. The problem is that there's a being called the Red Death that corrupts all who use magic. The more potent the magic, the more likely to come under his control. Obviously not everyone succumbs, but most do. You are part of a secret organization whose goal is to defeat the Red Death. So it's kind of a horror in Victorian England campaign.

I play in the pen and paper Living Death campaign, but I was wondering if any computer games are similar to that.
Old June 21, 2003, 15:19   #16
Arcainite
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Prince

best module?
I didn't play it so I can't say, but what about WHITE PLUME MOUNTAIN module! That was awesome!
Arcainite
PS - Blue Oyster Cult even did that song based on the magic sword found in this adventure called "black blade."
Old June 21, 2003, 20:29   #17
Standup
Prince

I can't remember far back enough for PnP although i remember something along the lines of Curse of Xanathon or similar which i remember enjoying although i have no idea why. I think i still have a big stash of PnP stuff in my parents attic.Wonder if its worth anything ?

Back to the PC RPG theme - has anyone tried Gothic 2 ? Looked interesting in the previews.
Old June 22, 2003, 03:13   #18
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 06:01
Nethack...
Old June 23, 2003, 01:44   #19
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 21:01
Icewind Dale 2 is an excellent 3rd edition D&D game.
Old June 23, 2003, 09:31   #20
Grumbold
Emperor

White Plume Mountain I will always remember. 2 characters escaped (one on 2 hp and one unconcious) because we had 2 flying potions and the persuing Ogre Magi only had one fly spell. Everything was going great until almost at the finish we made one fatal mistake....
Old June 23, 2003, 20:54   #21
Victor Galis
Emperor

Never had a TPK in Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, but I think everyone played through several characters and we didn't even finish.

The closest we got to a TPK was an encounter where we got swarmed by enemies, and things looked really bad, so once about half the party was down and it was so obvious we were going to lose, the cleric cast invisibility and fly and ran away.
Old June 23, 2003, 21:21   #22
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Victor Galis
the cleric cast invisibility and fly and ran away.
Invisibility and fly spells from a cleric?
Or was he/she multi-classed?

I'm waiting for somebody to put the Giants/Drow series into a CRPG. G1-3, D1-3 and Q1 all in the same game.

Or Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and maybe another of the Greyhawk series - like Isle of the Ape.
Old June 24, 2003, 03:04   #23
Victor Galis
Emperor

Invisibility and fly are available to clerics. Might have been domain spells.
Old June 24, 2003, 09:30   #24
Grumbold
Emperor

A Troika rep did comment that he was interested in the Against the Giants modules, although G1-3, D1-3 and Q1 in one game may be a little overkill. Personally I think G1-3 were too linear and the monsters too similar to be fun, and Q1 was just lethal. There's the problem of deciding how to get your players to an appropriate starting level too, since many people don't appreciate having to roll up a high level team. Of course linking it on from ToEE might provide that.

The Slaver modules had a bit more variety to them to make a good computer campaign imho.
Old June 24, 2003, 09:52   #25
DinoDoc
Deity

What about Queen of the Demonweb Pits?
Old June 24, 2003, 13:07   #26
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Isn't that just Q1, the ending of Descending the Depth of the Earth (D1-3)?
Old June 24, 2003, 13:12   #27
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ravagon
I'm waiting for somebody to put the Giants/Drow series into a CRPG. G1-3, D1-3 and Q1 all in the same game.
The good old days. Our party finished the whole thing without anybody dead, quite an amazing feat.
Old June 24, 2003, 13:52   #28
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

I never played this module but it sounds really cool. Thank god for PC RPGs; I couldn't keep a group together long enough to finish a campaign in the real world.
Old June 25, 2003, 06:16   #29
Grumbold
Emperor

Yep roleplaying is pretty hard to keep up once you get out of school/university days. As soon as people start developing careers and families they tend to end up too far apart or too busy to meet regularly enough to maintain the continuity. Our group is lucky to get 3 full sessions a year, although that means we make them 36 hour events to compensate
Old June 25, 2003, 09:10   #30
Jac de Molay
Prince

Quote:
That was pretty good, but there was one I think was called Tomb of Horrors that was almost impossible. You went into the tomb of an Arch-Lich, and IIRC this was a Tournament module for level 15+

There were also a "Slave" series for mid level players that were very challenging.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.