Local Time: 06:03
Local Date: November 2, 2010
CPU: p4 1.7GHz
Memory: 512Mb
Mobo: Asus P4B266
Sound: on board
Graphics: Geforce 4 Ti4600
Driver: 44.03 (not signed)

Well, the display driver seems to be to most obvious difference.
Nacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2003, 07:52   #32
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:03
I am using 44.03 at the moment, still experiencing crashes. I have also tried a few other drivers with similar results, so I'm leaning away from the drivers being the cause.

Thanks for posting that info.
Old July 5, 2003, 16:04   #33
traxer
Settler

Local Time: 04:03
this game have crashed more then evry other games i played.
traxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2003, 06:36   #34
linker
Settler

KD7 XP2000+
512 DDR SAMSUNG
Leadtek GF4TI4200 64DDR
sound onboard
DETO 44.xx

Crash with all deto with another sound card ! Crash only with RON ! bye bye 55€
linker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2003, 07:05   #35
Eyradir
Settler

Local Time: 05:03
Try switching your mouse. I had a wireless before. I know have a mouse with a wire again (older logitech) and I havent seen any crashes yet....
Eyradir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 18:16   #36
ajbera
Prince

Got a question…

I want to update my SB Live! Drivers, because I’ve been experiencing CTDs (crash-to-desktop) in various games, including RoN, and a little investigation leads me to believe that my sound card drivers may be one of the, if not the, culprit.

I have an SB Live! Value card (so says my Device Manager). The drivers currently in use for the card are dated 7/24/2002. I went to the Creative Labs website, and downloaded a large executable file, the LiveDrvUni-Pack, dated 2/28/2003, which contained the drivers plus the Audio HQ, etc. I also downloaded a smaller executable, the Driver Patch, also dated 2/28/2003, which was just supposed to update the drivers. The former executable was for those people (such as me) who had not previously obtained earlier versions of the LiveDrvPack, while the second was just the driver update.

I ran the large executable, but just chose to update the drivers. The program did everything automatically, and it said it was updating the drivers, but when I checked the driver version in Device Manager, it was the same old drivers. When I played my games, I ran into the same CTDs.

I then ran just the driver update executable, and it again said it was updating the drivers. Again, though, the driver version/date were unchanged, and my games still acted funky.

My friend says that SB Live drivers are often difficult to upgrade. I wish I could just select ‘Upgrade Driver’ in Device Manager, but since I don’t have driver files, just the huge executable file that’s supposed to auto-upgrade, this option is not open to me.

Device Manager does have an option to uninstall the current driver, but I’m hesitant to choose this, as it will uninstall the device from my system, and I don’t know how to progress after that. Would I uninstall the driver, then run the driver update executable? Uninstall, reboot, then search for the proper driver (but where?) Uninstall, reboot, select Cancel when my PC says it’s found new hardware, then run the executable? I just don’t know.

I really want to use the latest SB Live drivers to see if that resolves my game problems. My friend says I should just wait ‘til I do an OS reinstallation (slated for a month or two down the road) to install the new drivers, but I don’t want to wait that long. I also don’t want to screw anything up in such a way that it leaves me without sound.

So, has anyone had experience with this kind of situation? I’m appealing to those who’ve gone through this, preferable those with substantial tech expertise – could you help me or provide advice? Again, I’m running Windows XP and have an SB Live! Value card.

Thanks.
ajbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2003, 18:59   #37
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 15:03
Quote:
Originally posted by Eyradir
Try switching your mouse. I had a wireless before. I know have a mouse with a wire again (older logitech) and I havent seen any crashes yet....

You may just have found something common amongst us. I am using a cordless keyboard and mouse. I will have to test your cord-theory.

Ajbera: Find the rise2.ini file in your RoN directory. Change the line "Sound Enabled=1" to "Sound Enabled=0" and then run the game. If it does not crash then your soundcard is the culprit, and moving the format to a closer date may be a good idea. If it still crashes, look elsewhere for the cause.
Old July 12, 2003, 17:20   #38
Blakela
Settler

I'm looking at a recurring theme here - we all seem to have the latest drivers installed and yet this bloody game still falls over - like most others my machine runs other games ok (and if you really want to see a couple of bug ridden *****es of a game, that actually worked on my machine, try Conflict Zone or World War III - Black Gold) so I know that it is the game at fault and not the machine as keeps being hammered by those that are supposed to be in the know about these things.

Refer to my other post on this and see if you agree with the conclusion I have made there

Les
Blakela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2003, 15:43   #39
CIVFAN2001
Settler

Quote:

I found that replacing the wireless optical mouse with a wired trackball ended all of my problems, too.
Old July 13, 2003, 15:47   #40
CIVFAN2001
Settler

Quote:

Very good idea. After crashing regularly, I followed your advise and switched out the wireless optical mouse with a wired rolling ball mouse. After that, I could play for hours without a problem.

To my mind, you solved the problem, and others should try the same solution.
Old August 5, 2003, 07:55   #41
teron1st
Settler

i have a 128gforce fx5200 and ron crashes when you try to start ron
but it works on my other computer it has
128mb gforce3ti
it works fine on my notebook computer
Old August 5, 2003, 08:16   #42
teron1st
Settler