Old June 20, 2003, 02:29   #31
Victor Galis
Emperor

Local Time: 00:04
Local Date: November 2, 2010
They are fighting an illegal war. I'm sure some of Milosevic's thugs were just following orders too. I see no reason to be proud of an imperialistic beatdown of some impoverished third world country.
Old June 20, 2003, 07:06   #32
Sirotnikov
DiplomacyApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization III Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
Victor, I'm sure you would agree with me that anyone who would like to praise the soldiers does not hold the view that it is an illegal imperialistic war, and thus does not intentionally praise an illegal imperalitic war.

What he does praise is a war of liberation of a people from a tyrant, and some added security to the ME region.

I'm sure you disagree with such an opinion, but you can't really blame a person for having such a view of the world as it is a legitimate political interpertation of world events.

In that context, you can't really blame a person for congratulating soldiers on a job well done that in their personal oponion brings about a better world.

Thus this line:
Quote:
I see no reason to be proud of an imperialistic beatdown of some impoverished third world country.
Is meaningless since NO ONE who is proud of the action concieves it in such a manner.

I'm equally sure that all of the people who praise the soldiers do not praise them for all the incidents of friendly fire or innocent casualties, but are rather critical of such incidents, and instead praise the soldiers for trying to avoid such incidents.
Old June 20, 2003, 07:28   #33
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 06:04
Maybe he apologized for the bare existence of American soldiers.
Old June 21, 2003, 01:39   #34
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 23:04
Local Date: November 1, 2010
it went to far.

sorry if that offended anyone. i would never want to offend anyone so stupid as to find that offensive.

sorry if my previous comment offended anyone. i would never want to offend stupid people by calling them stupid, because, after all, stupid people are good people too, just like those damn freaks down the hall.

sorry if my previous comment offended anyone. i would like to mention that i love the freaks down the hall, because they're good folk, even if they smoke up the hall with their damned potsmoke.

sorry if my previous comment offended anyone who smokes pot. i like people who smoke pot, even if i don't smoke pot. after all, it takes all kinds.

sorry if my previous post mentioned that it took all kinds, and that offended someone. as we all know, we're just like each other--good human beings.

sorry if my last comment offended anyone by omitting our good furry and scaly companion animals. they too are just like us humans, with good kind souls.

sorry if i offended anyone by positing the existance of souls.

[This post has been edited seven (7) times]
[This post has been edited by Q Cubed on June 21, 2003 at 12:37am]
Old June 21, 2003, 02:44   #35
Victor Galis
Emperor

Quote:
Victor, I'm sure you would agree with me that anyone who would like to praise the soldiers does not hold the view that it is an illegal imperialistic war, and thus does not intentionally praise an illegal imperalitic war.
I've heard people say they support the troops not the war, but then again they probably see it as wrong rather than imperialistic and illegal. Still, I've had enough of this attitude that everyone must support the troops.

Quote:
What he does praise is a war of liberation of a people from a tyrant, and some added security to the ME region.
Do you really see the region as more secure? And quite frankly, I oppose the imposition of democracy at bayonet point.

Quote:
I'm sure you disagree with such an opinion, but you can't really blame a person for having such a view of the world as it is a legitimate political interpertation of world events.
Anyone who thinks Bush sent American soldiers to Iraq to liberate its people is delusional. That was a consequence of the war, but not its objective. While I agree that the world is better off without Saddam, the way in which he was removed negates this benefit.
Old June 21, 2003, 03:05   #36
The Vagabond
Prince

Local Time: 04:04
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000
Is it just me, or are Vels post become less and less intelligent?!
This is what happens when you stop playing SMAC.
Old June 21, 2003, 03:10   #37
Victor Galis
Emperor

Alright, to be fair, offended is a serious exaggeration of my opinion about the original statements, but I figured it was needed in order to threadjack and start a discussion on the war.