Old June 19, 2003, 15:32   #1
Caspian
Prince

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What is a Giga Map
I know this question is daft, but when I load up map editor it gives the option of creating small, normal and large maps. Are Giga maps created by simply selecting to build a large map or is there another process involved?

Secondly, is it possible to keep the map area constant but change its shape. For instance a normal map is 50x80 in area. How would you alter it so that it is 80x50?

Thx in advance.

Last edited by Caspian; June 19, 2003 at 16:13.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:17   #2
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 06:05
Re: What is a Giga Map
Quote:
Originally posted by Caspian
I know this question is daft, but when I load up map editor it gives the option of creating small, normal and large maps. Are Giga maps created by simply selecting to build a large map or is there another process involved?
"Gigamaps" are maps larger than 10,000.
As I discovered, the maximum map surface for FW and earlier is 10,922 (oversized maps)...
And Julius Brenzaida discovered the limit for MGE and ToT is even higher, namely 32,767 (gigamaps).

To create a gigamap, there are two ways (and some more, but I'll just name two):
(1) Use MapEdit to create a blank gigamap, and edit the created map with your civ2 map editor.
(2, MGE) Apply the no-limits patch and start a game on a random gigamap in civ2. Save the game, load the savegame in the map editor and edit.
(2, ToT) Apply the no-limits patch, start game on random map, export map, edit map in MapEdit/ToT map editor (the latter doesn't seem to work on WinXP, which is probably my fault).

Quote:
Secondly, is it possible to keep the map area constant but change its shape. For instance a normal map is 50x80 in area. How would you alter it so that it is 80x50?
um... Have you ever tried clicking the "Custom" button?
Or do I misunderstand you?
Old June 19, 2003, 16:19   #3
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

I have been wondering that myself for quite some time, but was quite bored to ask.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:24   #4
Caspian
Prince

Yes thanks, I wasn't sure about the giga map. Thanks for putting me in the picture Now...ahem... lets just forget I asked that second question. I've never even clicked on the custom button before lol. What is that old saying? "can't see the forest for the trees." Oh well, now I know, thx again.
Old June 19, 2003, 16:42   #5
Mercator
Emperor

Old June 19, 2003, 16:49   #6
Caspian
Prince

Ah ha, I've just thought of another question! Is there an utility that allows you to copy an existing map and paste onto a larger base so that you can add on around the edges (fingers crossed tightly) or do I need to start my map all over again?
Old June 19, 2003, 17:40   #7
Mercator
Emperor

MapEdit will do... You can increase the width and height of an existing map with that (among many other things ).
Old June 19, 2003, 19:18   #8
Caspian
Prince

I found MapEdit of the Scenario Legue website earlier. I tried to get back hereto say so but the server was too busy. Wow, it's like a dream come true! I can add the Karelian Peninsula and more of southern Europe to my map. Here is what I have just now.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	inworks.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	48071