Old June 22, 2003, 23:37   #61
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
Well, I was going to try updating my BIOS today, but ca't figure out what PCB my motherboard is. I am told that it is supposed to say the version number by the ASUS logo on the motherboard.... but I do not see it.
I suppose you are looking for the BIOS version number? I think you get that when booting up the computer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Osweld
I did a bench mark with the performance test that comes with Norton Systemworks and my lowest scores where with the disk drive... which brings me to something I should maybe of mentioned before, I have a SATA hard drive. (Sea Gate Baracuda ST380023AS)
Shouldn't be. Those things are supposed to go at 150MB/S. Do you need to load a driver for it?
Old June 22, 2003, 23:38   #62
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Shouldn't be. Those things are supposed to go at 150MB/S. Do you need to load a driver for it?
Current SATA implementations are almost always quite a bit slower than UltraATA/133.

It's just a problem of mature technology (UltraATA/133) versus new technology (SerialATA).
Old June 22, 2003, 23:57   #63
Cruddy
Warlord

Local Time: 05:05
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher

I understand that.

What you do not seem to understand is that XP and 98 are entirely different codebases, and XP drivers and 98 drivers are entirely different codebases.

So when upgrading from 98 to XP, and you run into problems, it's not an XP problem by default. In this case, ATI's XP drivers or the motherboard's XP drivers are clearly to blame.

You're making a ridiculous conclusion that it's an XP flaw. What's even more ridiculous is you say yourself that frequently using a new driver fixes the problem, but you still insist this is an XP flaw.

Why don't you think about that a bit before replying again to save me time and you further embarassment?
Who is embarrassed?

Osweld reports a problem that happens under XP and not under 98.

You inisist this is not a problem with XP.

Omega insist that it is a problem with XP, not me.

I'm not insisting ANYTHING other than at least Osweld try it.

Quote:

Man, you're losing it...

It's not the 3D graphics communities problem if ATI/motherboard drivers have bugs.
Apportioning blame is not the issue. Finding a solution is.

Wiping your hands and saying "oh, it's not my problem" and the DISSING someone who IS trying to find a solution is just being a pontificating prat.

Quote:
You're welcome to come join Beyond3D to discuss this further with me. ATI, Nvidia, Matrox, etc. all have driver developers who post there, like feedback, and help out. There's also a bunch of game developers and hardware reviewers from many sites that post regularly there.

They'll just tell you what I've been saying.

And go ahead and ask them what they think of the Omega drivers.
You know, I might just do that. Then again I've got more important things to do than argue the toss with a whole host of pontificating prats who can't be bothered to actually HELP somebody.
"The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84
Old June 23, 2003, 00:03   #64
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Cruddy
Osweld reports a problem that happens under XP and not under 98.

You inisist this is not a problem with XP.

Omega insist that it is a problem with XP, not me.

I'm not insisting ANYTHING other than at least Osweld try it.
I'm not saying he shouldn't try it, I'm saying the developers of them are literally high school kids and they're tw*ts, and if you use them long enough you're going to experience weird crashes randomly in games and visual artifacts.

Quote:
Apportioning blame is not the issue. Finding a solution is.

Wiping your hands and saying "oh, it's not my problem" and the DISSING someone who IS trying to find a solution is just being a pontificating prat.
That's not what's happening -- the Omega drivers are complete pieces of ****. They may fix one problem, but they're guaranteed to introduce a hundred more. He's welcome to try them, I'm just warning him ahead of time that the best route is to contact ATI or his motherboard manufacturer and get it fixed with real drivers.

I fear you're doing nothing but wasting his time by telling him to use some crappy hacked drivers.

Quote:
You know, I might just do that. Then again I've got more important things to do than argue the toss with a whole host of pontificating prats who can't be bothered to actually HELP somebody.
They help people all the time there.

The problem is, they help people properly -- finding real solutions rather than kludgey third party hacks.

Hell, in several cases a guy posted a problem, an ATI driver dev replies saying he's duplicated it, and a week later a new driver surfaces which fixes the problem...

You call them "pontificating prats", but they're a helluva lot more useful than people who don't understand XP/98 differences and blame one other party (while later saying "it's not about blame"), and suggest crappy drivers that are world-renowned for their inconsistency and incompatibility and how they artifact all kinds of games.