Old June 19, 2003, 19:01   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 12:06
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What would you ameliorate first?
If there were only FIVE things to be improved in Civ3, what would it be? Of course, don't answer "combat system, economic system, diplomacy, ressource model and interface"! I want specific elements. You can explain why if you wish.

For me, it would be:
1- Units stacked = stronger than all separated (like real wars: a great proportion of tactics/strategies come from this simple aspect. Just look napoleonic strategies!!)

2- REAL colonies, like colonies worked in history: influence and vampiric economy

3- Influence that can be traded (like in GalCiv)

4- A UN or else that works like GalCiv's United Planets (that votes laws that change something)

5- Multi-threaded AI (like GalCiv... again)

Last edited by Trifna; June 27, 2003 at 13:34.
Trifna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2003, 21:19   #2
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
combat system, economic system, diplomacy, ressource model and interface.
Old June 22, 2003, 03:48   #3
Mr. President
MacSpanish CiversNationStatesNever Ending StoriesCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG Planet University of Technology
Emperor

Local Time: 14:06
I think the unit system is in severe need of looking-at. Even Call to Power with its stacks requires you to create hundreds of individual units and then damage your eyesight by clicking on the little boxes to form them into armies.
Old June 26, 2003, 16:06   #4
Brundlefly
Prince

Local Time: 00:06
ameliorate Who uses that word?! Dude, are you one of those people who has this one obscure word that they know and they try to fit that word into every conversation?
Brundlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2003, 13:33   #5
Trifna
King

Maybe, who knows... and it wouldn't change anyone's life......

Hey, not everyone has English as a first language. Went in Merriam Webster, I'll just edit for "improve"...
Old June 28, 2003, 17:48   #6
TimeTraveler
Warlord

1: Non-broken Tech tree. It should be possible for a tech in one age to lead to only some of the techs in the next age. For example, Magnetism and Theory of Gravity shouldn't lead to Nationalism and Medicine.

2: A means of reversing Global Warming. It would take an incredibly large worker effort, and the right technology, but I think it should hopefully be possible to turn deserts into plains and plains into Grassland.

3: A means of having a strategy resource regenerate, or perhaps have a chance of rising up into the open with the same probability that it has for suddenly disappearing.

4: The ability to improve water squares (like with fisheries) and eventually colonize the oceans, even if at the very end of the tech tree.

5:The ability to stack units.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2003, 11:42   #7
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 06:06
Quote:
Originally posted by TimeTraveler
1: Non-broken Tech tree. It should be possible for a tech in one age to lead to only some of the techs in the next age. For example, Magnetism and Theory of Gravity shouldn't lead to Nationalism and Medicine.

2: A means of reversing Global Warming. It would take an incredibly large worker effort, and the right technology, but I think it should hopefully be possible to turn deserts into plains and plains into Grassland.

3: A means of having a strategy resource regenerate, or perhaps have a chance of rising up into the open with the same probability that it has for suddenly disappearing.

4: The ability to improve water squares (like with fisheries) and eventually colonize the oceans, even if at the very end of the tech tree.

5:The ability to stack units.
hi ,

have you seen ptw allready , ......

have a nice day
Panag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2003, 02:34   #8
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Feephi
ameliorate Who uses that word?! Dude, are you one of those people who has this one obscure word that they know and they try to fit that word into every conversation?
Very often used in French for example..
-
I would love to see a more dynamic game, even with different tech trees each game (not random, just a couple of small changes that will force you to adapt. These would become only apparant the moment you enter the next age)

Expansion ( more a Ceasar type of way)
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 10:33   #9
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Quote:
Originally posted by TimeTraveler
i don't have Civ III, but i assume this is saying that there is no engineer type unit like in Civ II (which can do exactly that)?
Old July 9, 2003, 10:49   #10
geeslaka
Prince

Local Time: 21:06
Funny story. I bought Civ3 but when I got home I discovered that my Windows partition no longer boots. I have yet to gather up the motivation to fix this minor problem.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
geeslaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2003, 17:04   #11
Trifna
King

Can someone explain me how a thread can get out of subject that much in so little posts?...
Old July 9, 2003, 18:16   #12
geeslaka
Prince

I could but it wouldn't be on topic.
I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
XGalaga.
Old July 9, 2003, 23:54   #13
TimeTraveler
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

have you seen ptw allready , ......

have a nice day
No, I haven't. I still play the normal Civ3.

Quote:
Originally posted by SCG

i don't have Civ III, but i assume this is saying that there is no engineer type unit like in Civ II (which can do exactly that)?
That's right. You never get any terrain improvement unit more advanced than the Worker, which is never able to undo the damage of Global Warming.
TimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2003, 07:04   #14
geeslaka
Prince

Do nukes still generate pollution rather than fallout?
XGalaga.
Old July 11, 2003, 15:14   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by geeslaka
Do nukes still generate pollution rather than fallout?
hi ,

yes , lets hope you can have effects like " one citizens has died in city X , so far away from impact B ( icbm from civ Z ) due to radioactive fallout , .....

Firaxis , ......

have a nice day
Old July 11, 2003, 16:46   #16
geeslaka
Prince

What I meant was that nukes and pollution should not have the same effect.
In Freeciv nukes leave fallout on adjacent squares when they explode. If there is too much fallout a cycle of nuclear winter happens. I'm not sure of the exact algorithm but in general the number of tundra/glacier spaces goes up.
XGalaga.
Old July 12, 2003, 19:26   #17
Trifna
King

geeslaka: Don't answer panag, he always put stuff just for the heck of it, he doesn't really answer................
Old July 12, 2003, 19:36   #18
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 22:06
1) Stacked movement and stacked combat with bonuses to certain combined arms.
2) Great leaders, scientific, political, religious as well as military. And great leaders can rebel, taking units with them, and attacking cities.
3) Make the Ancient Age longer. Civ3 skips through it way too fast.
4) Add political factions with certain bonuses/penalties if they are in power.
5) Tech tree based on ressources, infrastructure. ie, certain techs would require certain ressources or certain city improvements in order to research.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
The diplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2003, 09:42   #19
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trifna
geeslaka: Don't answer panag, he always put stuff just for the heck of it, he doesn't really answer................
hi ,

ah no , .......

and no , for your info i dont put stuff for the heck of it , unlike yourself who just makes a post like you did , for the heck of it , ...... in a game thread , ....

have a nice day
Old July 13, 2003, 12:33   #20
geeslaka
Prince

You keep that nice day, you need it more.
XGalaga.
Old July 13, 2003, 18:48   #21
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 05:06
1) Stacked movement and combat
2) Remove settler system, replace with Public Works or similar (and thus allow oceanic tile improvements)
3) Add a scriping language
4) Remove culture-flipping
5) Alter strategic resources model.
Old July 14, 2003, 16:48   #22
Trifna
King

Wombat, what does "scriping language" mean? It's not in the Merriam Webster...
Old July 14, 2003, 19:33   #23
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 05:06
an in-game programming language somewhat similar to CtP2's SLIC language, which lets you code effects to events in the game.
Old July 14, 2003, 22:20   #24
geeslaka
Prince

Trifna: You are seriously deprived if you don't know what a scripting language is.
XGalaga.
Old July 28, 2003, 13:20   #25
CivPatriot
Mac
Warlord

1. Stabilty-affected by your diplomatic deals and your handing of certian domestic sitution(like what EU2 has).

2. all units cost something, but once you exceed your limit it becomes progressivly more expensive to field units(again like Eu2).

3. revamp combat system(return to the HP/F sytem of civ2, and allow for easy build armiess that fight as a unit.
CivPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2003, 20:57   #26
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Rather than throw in more and more features, old ones that don't see much use should get pulled. Civ3 is far more complex than the original Civ but not necessarily more enjoyable. It also makes it easier for the AI to learn so that it can be a match for the human without cheating.
:) Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2003, 16:23   #27
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
Rather than throw in more and more features, old ones that don't see much use should get pulled. Civ3 is far more complex than the original Civ but not necessarily more enjoyable. It also makes it easier for the AI to learn so that it can be a match for the human without cheating.
hi ,

the problem is that it does not learn fast enough , .....

its to small for that , ...

have a nice day

Last edited by panag; July 29, 2003 at 16:31.
Old July 30, 2003, 00:49   #28
Trifna
King

geeslaka: Perhaps you know, but it doesn't mean everyone does.

Besides, it was written scriping language, and not scripTing language.