Old June 20, 2003, 06:39   #1
Darth Balrog
Settler

Local Time: 05:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Wich name You usually give to your capital city?
Hi,

And wich name have Your digital alterego?
Old June 20, 2003, 07:21   #2
Nym
Prince

Not sure to really understand your question. I suppose it only has sense with modded games.
Concerning my current game my capital is Armenelos and my leader is Elros Tar-Minyatur.
Old June 20, 2003, 08:01   #3
MyOlde
Prince

Local Time: 04:07
I take whatever name the computer gives it. If I'm playing as the Germans, then it's Berlin. If I'm playing as China, it's Beijing. And so on.
Old June 20, 2003, 09:35   #4
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:07
I stopped renaming city's too and use the default ones now.
Old June 20, 2003, 11:26   #5
Darth Balrog
Settler

I always give different names for my city(s)! ...Since CIV I.

The varius names I give depend by the zone and the type of landscape the city(s) are.

For example, if the city is near some monatains and hill I ussualy give name such: Minas Tirith, Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol and so on...

If the city rise near a particular abundance of horses (for example) I call it Rhoan

If the city is destiny to grow up a lot I call it with name such: Thannauser, Cassandra, Eternity...

If the city is destiny to be small (couse I need a city in a particular strategic position) I call it Bajedo, Hobville (if there is a wood near by... ) and so on...

Another thing I do is to give the same kind of names at the city(s) in particular zone or region.

For example. In a desert region on the east of my empire the names of my citys are: Osiris, Iside, Anubis, Set...
In a region in the north: Othin, Thor, Fray...
In a nice west region: Zeus, Apollo, Aphrodite, Era...

Usually I rename the citys I conquest with this way.

Sometimes I let their name if the citys are in a definite zoone with the same country name: Berlino, Stoccarda, Monaco... (Italian name of Berlin, Stutgart, Munchen )

So the name of my city change always... And if I read: "There is a problem in the city of Aphrodite" I know soon in wich part of my empire the problem is

Now my Leader name is Nim Namhir of the Nimeani (roman civilization)

And my capital city is: NIM.

Enjoy CIV!
Old June 20, 2003, 11:52   #6
Hail Caesar!
Chieftain

Dude this is one of the strangest threads on this forum
Old June 20, 2003, 17:14   #7
trickey
Civilization III Democracy GameNever Ending StoriesRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 00:07
Like some of the others have posted, I use the default names for my cities and leaders.
Old June 20, 2003, 17:18   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The only city name I always change is my capital city. I name my capital city:

Capital City

Old June 20, 2003, 18:00   #9
BigDork
Prince

Hi all...

My capital is usually Dorkville.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old June 20, 2003, 18:04   #10
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
And Theseusville.

I almost always change the name of my leader as well... to Theseus.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old June 20, 2003, 18:13   #11
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 22:07
I rarely change city names. If I do so, it's because I utterly dislike the suggested city name, or if it's a captured city.

Leader names, though, I usually change to someone else from that nation's history: Napoleon instead of Joan of Arc, Hatshepsut or Ramses instead of Cleopatra, Tecumseh instead of Hiawatha (yes, historically incorrect, I know, but so is Cleopatra), Zhu Yuanzhang instead of Mao, Hamilcar Barca instead of Hannibal... you get the idea.
Old June 20, 2003, 18:13   #12
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

I usually don't change any of the names. Of course with some of the civs with uncommon city name it can be difficult. While writing my AAR for AU208 I couldn't remember which city was being attacked by barbarians, which city just ended up with the Hanging Gardens instead of the Great Lighthouse, etc.
Old June 20, 2003, 18:30   #13
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 23:07
I will usually use the default names. Occasionally I will change one if it is built on a resource that appears to the name of the resource. If I have a city that connects two bodies of water I will usually rename it Crossover.
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old June 20, 2003, 19:00   #14
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

Capital City

You should starting writing books man, like immediately, really!! I mean it's dangerous to keep that kind of imagination and creativity bottled up...
-
Leaders;

Those depend, if I have to wait really long for one to come along, something like 'Finally the first' usually does it
Old June 20, 2003, 19:31   #15
Quasar1011
Warlord

My first and capital city is always named Greensburg, after the place I was born. Shame I haven't lived there since 1968...
Old June 20, 2003, 21:00   #16
cookieman
Settler

i only change the names of captured cities. in my current game im playing as the americans, and i recently had a war with the aztecs. i now have cities named "el paso" "witchita" "tucson" "baton rouge" and "oakland". this gives me a moral victory to know that i am crushing and ruining their aztec spirit!
Old June 20, 2003, 23:51   #17
Azeem
Prince

If I play as the Chinese, I always name the capital "Xi An" since the first historical capital of China was within that metropolitan area. I never rename leaders unless I can find the appropriate leaderhead to fit the name.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old June 21, 2003, 01:27   #18
Virdrago
BtS Tri-League
Prince

I've already changed city names in the editor, so whatever civ I am, the capital I put in the editor (Salamanca? That's a Spanish city!) is the name I'll keep. Leaders are different. I always change the leaders, after all, why be Osman, Catherine, or Xerxes? The AI always is. So I'll be Suleiman, Peter, or Cyrus. Or whatever. I generally don't mind that Peter is a female in the picture, anyways. The AI is usually too busy bowing down before me to notice
Old June 21, 2003, 06:11   #19
kermit_the_frog
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

i use the defult names as well
Old June 21, 2003, 19:16   #20
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

Capital City

If you do this in an MP game you could name the capital: "Conquer this City" as well.

Actual this thread belongs into the Community Forum.

I do the capital naming in the same boring style like others. Let the computer come up with a suggestion, or use the name at the according place in the according text file. I mean if I select a certain civ I do it, because of a certain atmosphere that the civ has and one part of this atmosphere are the city names.

-Martin
Old June 21, 2003, 21:46   #21
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Good point Martin, but on the same line of thought - wouldn't the big star after the city's name also indicate the same (ie, hey, it's their capital! Take it out!)?

I figure, why sugar-coat it? Just come on out and name it what it really is - The nations capital. Come and get me!
Old June 21, 2003, 21:51   #22
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Recently I've started using modified default names, changing them to match "Kloreep" in some way. So Delhi becomes Delheep, Beijing Klorjing, etc
Old June 22, 2003, 00:40   #23
johncmcleod
Prince

Local Time: 20:07
This one guy on a thread was telling about how he named cities. If he had a city near Russia (this was before mp of course) he'd name it 'Russians suck' or 'Catherine eats too much'. Or he might have cities like 'Bring it on' or 'You'll never take this city'. If he had a city by a resource that he wanted to keep he'd call it 'There's nothing here' or something like that.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 23, 2003, 01:19   #24
Mizaq
Prince

Washington
Old June 23, 2003, 03:17   #25
M. le Comte
Warlord

Capital:

Haute Citadelle (High Keep), Palais Impérial (Imperial Palace), Cité Interdite (Forbidden City), [my alter etgo's name] - Ville and so on.

Leaders:

I play dynasties. My leaders were Guillaume I (Guillaume is my firstname), Ephrem I, Ephrem II, Charles I, Charles II... until Charles VI, Karwai I, Francion I, Francion II and Francion III...

I think my next game will be lead by Ephrem III, Karwai II or Guillaume II

Name of the civ.
Because it is a dynasty, whichever the civ I play, I am always the leader of the Hiérarques (something like "hierarchs").

Civ3 has been designed for megalomaniacs. I am one of them.
Old June 23, 2003, 03:21   #26
M. le Comte
Warlord

Oh !

And I also give to my generals the names of some friends of mine.
To elite units, I give the name of their victory, like (Great Cavalry of London, or Panzers of Washington, or Riflemen of the Aztecs' montains...).
To my other cities, it depends of the mood of the game.
Old June 23, 2003, 12:07   #27
johncmcleod
Prince

If I did have PTW I'd name units obsessively. I'd name every unit, such as the 1st Spearman Regiment or the 3rd Royal Marines. I'd also name them after where they were built such as the Royal Leeds Rifles or the 19th Seattle Volunteers or the Manchester Highlanders Regiment. I'd give all ship names a prefix depending on the civ and its government ie if I was in a monarchy it'd be HMS or if I was in a democracy it might be the ZFS (Zulu Federal Ship) Mpondo. I'd name carriers after leaders, battleships after cities, submarines after mythological figures (titan, valkyrie, dragon, etc.) AEGIS Cruisers after famous battles, I don't know what I'd name transports, destroyers things like Dauntless or Perseverance or Alacrity and ships before that I'd name after animals. Of course if the ship ugrades I won't name it because it wouldn't be realistic.
"The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old June 23, 2003, 13:18   #28
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

For the capital, most of the time, I go for default, although from time to time I'll name it "Arsenal City". On a huge map, very recently I have begun naming the city with the Forbidden Palace, "Forbidden City" to readily see where it is, and how and if I want to make palace moves.
Old June 23, 2003, 15:04   #29
Brundlefly
Prince

Re: Wich name You usually give to your capital city?
Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Balrog
Hi,

Deal-A-Meal.

Quote:
And wich name have Your digital alterego?
Richard Simmons.
Old June 23, 2003, 16:24   #30
DCMike
Chieftain

I usually stick with the defaults. But whenever I capture an enemy city, I usually put 'Fort' in front of the city name.