Old June 20, 2003, 19:37   #1
Killazer
Warlord

Local Time: 04:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
On the brink of MAD
This is an interesting game. Me and the Babylonians are the only empires left and are virtually neck to neck with eachother. I have a relatively small beach-head area on Bab continent but the game is far from won. Bab had launched limited nuclear strikes on my continent, im still building nukes to retaliate with but I will soon. The Babs are tough, real tough to beat conventionally. Ive lost scores of tanks and aircraft attacking them. In the end we are probably going to end up nukeing eachother till Earth is a dead planet

I'm gonna include the save here since it might be an interesting scenario to test late game warfare and do some large scale nukefest if u want The game is on monarch diff setting.

Any feedback u may have is appreciated, good luck if u choose to play the save
Attached Files:
Old June 20, 2003, 21:00   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 00:09
Well nuclear war is not my cup of tea. The way I try to prevent it is 1- win before they get nuckes 2- have nukes on hand so they will not be tempted 3- build SDI.

Too late for 1 and 2 now, and you are far from get the tech for SDI.

Again this is just me, but I would get ecology ASAP and slap in the metros. I would consider getting recycle as well as it do not want to be losing my best tiles and having to maintain a large clean up crew.

At this point in the game you have to be concerned about the space race. Hammy has Superconducters already and you are researching a 0% to bank almost 700. That money is not going to save you, but the tech could.

The reason you are not able to bust Hammy is you do not have MA's and you only have one army.
I would have MA's before space race stuff and be sending armies of MA's to take down those cities.
Infantry and MI's in ciies and metros are hard to dislodge, but arties and MA armies will do it.
You are in good shape because the AI will not make good use of its manpower.

I do not see many mines through out the empire and that may be why you are not generating enough shields.
I looked at Kyoto and it +8 food at size 20, seems excessive.
Oh I see you have mobilization going on.
Old June 20, 2003, 21:07   #3
vmxa1
Deity

Well nuclear war is not my cup of tea. The way I try to prevent it is 1- win before they get nuckes 2- have nukes on hand so they will not be tempted 3- build SDI.

Too late for 1 and 2 now, and you are far from get the tech for SDI.

Again this is just me, but I would get ecology ASAP and slap in the metros. I would consider getting recycle as well as I do not want to be losing production from my best tiles and having to maintain a large clean up crew.
Some 20 tiles are polluted, more than half are not from nukes, so that is a decent amount of production. In huge metros, you have all tiles worked, so any tile that goes out for pollutions cost you.

At this point in the game you have to be concerned about the space race. Hammy has Superconducters already and you are researching a 0%.

The reason you are not able to bust Hammy is you do not have MA's and you only have one army.
I would have MA's before space race stuff and be sending armies of MA's to take down those cities.
Infantry and MI's in ciies and metros are hard to dislodge, but arties and MA armies will do it.
You are in good shape because the AI will not make good use of its manpower.

I do not see many mines through out the empire and that may be why you are not generating enough shields.
I looked at Kyoto and it +8 food at size 20, seems excessive.
Oh I see you have mobilization going on.

I looked at many stacks of workers, I think you have 68 and the vast majority of them are native. I like to use captured workers late in the game and get rid of native workers. The half speed is not a concern as I use twice as many, but 50 workers is a lot of up keep in a tight game like this one.
Old June 20, 2003, 21:42   #4
Killazer
Warlord

What happend was I was actually slightly behind Babylonians which were going heavy into the nuke branch of the tree in tech so I raced through to get ICBMs so I can nuke him back. The queues need to be changed to mass ICBMS. A few of my large cities got nuked but I have so many of them im still fine at this point.

Me and Babs have been at war for quite a while, I had many more tanks and multiple beach-heads most of which got crsuhed except for the large one since my transports were closer and I could bring in reinforcements faster but ya I need to get through to MA now but even still conventional war will be hard because we both have hundreds of units. I think thers quite a bit of war weariness in my empre as well. Switch to communism was necessary cuz of the size of the empire and war weariness.
A massive MA buildup on the SE end of the Bab landmass and a very, very large scale combined nuke/conventional attack will probably do the trick but it will be massive lol.

The game is very winnable but its an interesting close race.
Old June 20, 2003, 21:46   #5
Killazer
Warlord

About the workers... 60 is nothing to maintain late in the game and I like workers because I get a lot of pollution and they clean it quickly (especially with me getting nuked). One more thing about communism, a good thing, is the unit support. I have close to around 500 units and need more for the full scale offensive, communism unit support is a good help in this case with my game. Communism is a good choice I believe with the situation in my game. The empire is too large for monarchy due to corruption and republic war weariness would be too great since ive been at war for over 100 years with the Babs
Old June 20, 2003, 22:20   #6
vmxa1
Deity

I agree you are in good shape and I said that. Lots of workers is great, but not natives, they cost money.
If you have markets and luxs you can stay in republic just fine, as long as they started the war and you mind the war issue. That is having units end in your territory and such.
Let's forget about how you got were you are, but from this point, I would not try to hold any of their cities. I would have a massive force move enmasse and raze as many cities as I can. They will soon be unable to maint pace. Key on those two uranium deposit and end the nukes.
I try not to end up with 130 or even more MI's. I want tanks instead. Mi's are mainly for defense and can not bust metros. I do not want lots and lots of naval units or planes. I want tanks as Grog says. Tanks can crack cities and then become MA.
I did not check, but getting the Cure for Cancer will also help with happiness and allow you to put more into research. It is too late for that now, just raze cities.
Old June 20, 2003, 22:22   #7
vmxa1
Deity

PS they have four nukes ready and you have a mass of MI's sitting close togther. It would be very painful if they drop them on you now in that beach head.
The AI will leave most of the units it has sitting in all of it cities, so no reason to wait on them.
Old June 20, 2003, 23:03   #8
Killazer
Warlord

Well, I dont go overboard efficient, I like having fun Thanks for the comments tho.
Old June 20, 2003, 23:39   #9
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Several things here. Babs aren't tough. They've got lots of units, but so do you. They have barely any tanks, they have only 14 fighters. They have no offensive units other than Mech Inf. Your got enough bombers in your beachead to overwhelm their fighter fleet. Just send in your fighters in bombing runs first to absord whatever airsupport they have and move in the bombers.

You're researching at 0% Why? Get to Synth Fiber, get modern Armor. By the time you get ecolology in 39 turns, your infrastructuve may already have been nuked to hell.

You have 3 luxuries, Babs have the rest I assume. Big advantage for Hammy there.

You have 66 pieces of artilerry, why do i see a piddly little detachment hidden inside a backline city in your beach head?

While you wait to get MA use your artys.
As I've said, Babs have no offensive forces. Get a stack of 10 Mech Inf, pair it up for 30 artys and just push in and keep reinforcing your Mech Inf stack. If they get smart and decide to nuke it, let them. They'd be nuking near their own cities and do your job for you.

Edit: You've got a nice fleet of ships parked next to Babylon. Why aren't your bombing the roads to isolate the capital? Granted Babs are not importing anything, but i usually go for the roads first even if the empire is toally self sufficient. Your bombers are about twice as accurate bombing roads as it is bombing the city.

Last edited by dexters; June 20, 2003 at 23:47.
Old June 21, 2003, 19:41   #10
Killazer
Warlord

Slider was at 0 cuz I was actually stealing techs from the babs and not really researching cuz I was behind... it was actually faster that way When Babs first declared war on me I was behind techwise and also navy wise... they were shelling my whole coast and I had to mobilize and build ships like mad, at first it was an ironclad battle heh. Later after I finally got over the Babs in naval superiority (for the most part) I launched multiple D-Day assaults and the only one that survive and continued was the SE beach head on the Babs territory. The rest captured some cities but were pounded by dozens of cavalry/tank stacks and rooted out eventually since I didnt have flight at the time to build airports on them.

With the naval fleets on the northern end I am bombing all the roads around each city. What needs to be done is build tons of tanks and MA when I get the tech and launch a very massive attack. The strat using just MI will probably work as well since we both depleted most of our available tank reserves. I need to switch some queues and build a bunch of ICBMs to launch some counter nuke strikes.

Anyway, If something doesnt happen conventionally we prolly end up nuking eachother to death. Im sure If I threw everything at the Babs right now tho without leaving reserves I would probably take at least half of their territory down. I have a bunch of airfields in the SE cuz the Babs were bombing the roads and cities which kindof irritated me Part of the reason I have a lot of the units outside is to guard the airfields. Other part is its just nice to look at

Thanks for the feedback.
Old June 21, 2003, 19:44   #11
Killazer
Warlord

To add, yes the luxury situation blows. I have most of the land in the game but the least luxuries by far. I didnt really want a war to end the game, but Hammy had to be an ass

Oh, there is the edit button, very useful...
Old June 22, 2003, 16:56   #12
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Keep us up to date!