Old June 20, 2003, 21:21   #1
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 00:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Best Ending to a Novel!
I just finished reading Foundation and Empire by Issac Asimov and it had the most shocking and best ending I've read (of course someone will pop up saying he knew it midway through the book ).

Spoiler:
WOW... Magnifico was the MULE?! That's so cool... and Bayta figured it out. I thought it was a great twist and amazingly done. I also thought it was very plausible why Bayta wouldn't have her mind 'bent'... the Mule actually liked having someone who truely liked him for himself. Just superb... and a great cliffhanger as well
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old June 20, 2003, 21:52   #2
Lonestar
inmate
King

Well, judging from the OoP I picked up today at the Exchange...

Quote:
Holy Sh*T! Voldemort is Harry and Ron's Dad?
Old June 20, 2003, 23:48   #3
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Uh, Lone?

[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

Spoiler:
like this
Old June 20, 2003, 23:49   #4
Imran Siddiqui
staff

No comments on mine, John?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Old June 20, 2003, 23:53   #5
Lonestar
inmate
King

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnT
Uh, Lone?

[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

Spoiler:
like this
I wasn't being serious.
Old June 20, 2003, 23:56   #6
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
The final Harry Potter book - where he dies.

Or the end of "Heart of Darkness". I always liked that.
Old June 20, 2003, 23:58   #7
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Agathon, bad news for you, but I bet Harry won't die in the 7th book .
Old June 21, 2003, 00:01   #8
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Agathon, bad news for you, but I bet Harry won't die in the 7th book .
Shame.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:04   #9
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The joy of a man who rediscovered something that he thought was lost to him forever...

Quote:
Half an hour later he was sitting in front of the blank screen, thinking he had to be a glutton for punishment. He had taken the aspirin instead of the drink, but that didn't change what was going to happen now; he was going to sit here for fifteen minutes or maybe half an hour, looking at nothing but a cursor flashing in darkness, then he was going to turn the machine off and have that drink.

Except...

Except he had seen something funny on the way home from lunch with Charlie, and it had given him an idea. Not a big one, just a small one. After all, it had only been a small incident. Just a kid pushing a shopping cart up 48th Street, that was all, but there had been a cage in the cart, and in it had been a rather large furry animal which Paul at first thought was a cat. A closer look had shown him a wide, white stripe up the cat's back.

"Sonny," he said, "is that a skunk?"

"Yeah," the kid said, and pushed the shopping cart along a little faster. You didn't stop for long conversations with people in the city, especially weird-looking guys with bgs the size of Samsonite two-suiters under their eyes who were lurching along on metal walking sticks. The kid turned the corner and was gone.

Paul went on, wanting to take a cab, but he was supposed to walk at least a mile every day and this was his mile and it hurt like hell and to take his mind off the mile he started wondering where that kid had come from, where the shopping cart had come from, and most of all where the skunk had come from.

He heard a noise behind him and turned from the blank screen to see Annie coming out of the kitchen dressed in jeans and a red flannel logger's shirt, the chainsaw in her hands.

He closed his eyes, opened them, saw the same old nothing and was suddenly angry. He turned back to the word processor and wrote fast, almost bludgeoning the keys:

The kid heard a sound in the back of the building and although the thought of rats crossed his mind, he turned the corner anyway -- it was too early to go home because school didn't let out for another hour and a half and he had gone truant at lunch
What he saw crouched back against the wall in a dusty shaft of sunlight was not a rat but a great big black cat with the bushiest tail he had ever seen.

He stopped, heart suddenly pounding.

Paulie, Can You?

This was a question which he did not dare answer. He bent over the keyboard again, and after a moment began to hit the keys... but more gently now.

It wasn't a cat. Eddie Desmond had lived in New York City all his life, but he had been to the Bronx Zoo, and Christ, there were picture-books, weren't there? He knew what that thing was, although he hadn't the slightest idea how such a thing could have gotten into this deserted East 105th Street tenement, but the long white stripe down its back was a dead give-away. It was a skunk.
Eddie started slowly toward it, feet gritting in the plaster dust.

He could. He could.

So, in gratitude and in terror, he did. The hole opened and Paul stared through at what was there, unaware that his fingers were picking up speed, unaware that his aching legs were in the same city but fifty blocks away, unaware that he was weeping as he wrote.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:20   #10
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Bah, I want something that packs an emotional wallop. The end of All Quiet on the Western Front hasn't been beat in that regard yet. It's not often a book reduces me to tears.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:24   #11
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Really? I didn't regard the ending of AQWF to be that suprising or packing that much of a wallop. ::shrug::
Old June 21, 2003, 00:28   #12
Boris Godunov
Emperor

That's probably because you're a heartless conservative, naturally.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:28   #13
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, given that I figured it out halfway into the book, Imran, it wasn't that surprising of an ending.

Boris, imho the denouement to Misery was *perfect*. The final chapter perfectly captures the psyche of a man who went through a very harrowing experience and, even months later, is still shaken by the events of his life. I would've typed up the entire chapter, but damn, that would've been quite long.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:29   #14
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 04:10
My own, of course!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:30   #15
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I can see the rabbits!
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 21, 2003, 00:40   #16
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:

No, because it seemed to be obvious... the story led up to it.

On the contrast I cried when I read what JK Rowling just recently did for a girl, who was a huge Harry Potter fan, that was dying of cancer (just died, IIRC )
Old June 21, 2003, 00:41   #17
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Well, given that I figured it out halfway into the book, Imran, it wasn't that surprising of an ending.
Damn you!

But wasn't halfway through the book not even 25 pages into the second story?
Old June 21, 2003, 00:44   #18
Boris Godunov
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:

No, because it seemed to be obvious... the story led up to it.
Not every novel is supposed to have a suprise or twist ending. You've been seeing too many Hollywood movies.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:49   #19
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
Damn you!

But wasn't halfway through the book not even 25 pages into the second story?
Don't know. What I do know is that, somewhere in the middle, a little went off and I went "Oh!"

Turned out I was right.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:49   #20
Imran Siddiqui
staff

Quote:
Not every novel is supposed to have a suprise or twist ending.
But if you can accurately gauge the ending, then it doesn't NEARLY pack the emotional punch... because there is no punch, you've seen it and deflected it.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:51   #21
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

It all depends upon how you write it, Imran.
Old June 21, 2003, 00:54   #22
Imran Siddiqui
staff

JohnT, true... I guess I didn't think Remarque was a great writer. Good book though .
Old June 21, 2003, 00:58   #23
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:10
The Moonstone had a very good and surprising ending (best detective novel I've read...)

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 21, 2003, 01:20   #24
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 07:10
Quote:
Not every novel is supposed to have a suprise or twist ending. You've been seeing too many Hollywood movies.
Yeah, but when the punch just comes behind the corner and *wham* strikes you, and you realise that it's completely possible but you never thought about it, and it isn't a lame "it was all a dream" sort of deus ex machina either.... Like in Dan Simmons's Fall of Hyperion, though this isn't the ending:

Spoiler:
When we find out that the Ousters weren't the attackers after all. Damn, it was so obvious, but the text just kept me so occupied with itself that I didn't have the time to figure it out. I was absolutely... I can't really name the emotion. Exhilirated, maybe.

Last edited by Kassiopeia; June 21, 2003 at 22:01.
Old June 21, 2003, 08:56   #25
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

He loved Big Brother.
Old June 21, 2003, 09:03   #26
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:10
Best ending to a Novel? Isn't all endings good? Because when you're finally at the end, you don't have to read more

(In case you didn't know: I hate books... the only books I've ever read, is those you're supposed to read in school)
Old June 21, 2003, 09:22   #27
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Not the end, but Mrs Roy is quite good in building the story peu à peu in the God of Small Things.

Every few pages you're shocked with a new detail, the end itself is a little weak, though, no revelation
Old June 21, 2003, 09:40   #28
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Best ending to a Novel? Isn't all endings good? Because when you're finally at the end, you don't have to read more

(In case you didn't know: I hate books... the only books I've ever read, is those you're supposed to read in school)
Did they ban the word "are" where you live?
Old June 21, 2003, 09:44   #29
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

interesting question... maybe he just hasn't been reading enough in his youth, thus too small a vocabulary
Old June 21, 2003, 09:46   #30
JohnT
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Very likely. I'm also a little surprised that someone who doesn't like to read hangs around in message boards... one would think an AOL chat room would be more to his taste.