Old June 23, 2003, 16:54   #421
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 04:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Really, Og! The nerve! You should know by now that there is no spoon...erm...truth. That's what I meant....there is no truth!

Communism never failed, we just, in our limitations, which are defined almost solely (at this point) by our societal conditioning, percieve that it did not succeed optimally.

Welcome to the world according to GePap...

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 23, 2003, 16:55   #422
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GePap

And what does modern man have to do with the "nature of man" anyway?
Nothing and everything. We are essentially the same base creature we always were. Strip away the thin veneer of civilization and we're the same creature filled with selfish wants.

Some portion of our population will always act in their own interests and subjugate other portions. Has always been will always be. I don't care what government tag you apply.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 23, 2003, 17:03   #423
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Of course you would like me to try, GePap (said so in my last post, even!). But it really wouldn't be all that entertaining for me to debate both sides of the same issue, so I shall refrain.
If you cant debate both sides, you are not that good of a debater. (edit: I lawys meant can't, even if at first it said can)

Quote:
Now you can muddy the waters all you want (which you DO seem to love to do), spouting phrases like "there is no truth" (tell that to the guy standing in the bread line, will you--you're haven't REALLY been standing in line for two days waiting for a few crumbs...why? Cos GePap said so, of course! but doing so does nothing for the debate.
how is pointing out what is at the bottom of the river muddying the waters?

Quote:
Right now, you and I aren't even debating the original issue (and haven't been for some time). At best, we're debating about the debate, which I find, frankly silly, but given your love of semantics games and such, it comes as no great surprise. Rather than debate the matter at hand, you prefer to mosey off into bizzare directions, make some apples to oranges comparisons and call it a day, and hey! If that's your preference, have at it! It is not, however, my preference. If we're going to make comparisons, and if they are going to have meaning, then we should make comparisons of like systems (capitalism as it is now, to communism as it is now). A theoretical discussion of the idealized versions of either does nothing to answer the questions of whether or not they have been successful in their implementation.
The issue was never whether they could be successfull in their implementations. You forget the genesis of these threads, which was the Speer post, in which he argued what the basis of capitalism was, thus the question of what lies at root was there form the beginning. It is only you that refuses to talk about possibilities and sticks only to "implementation". You ased how anyone could know how to allocate resources without the market. I gave you a technical answre to that, whic you never responded to at all.

Quote:
But you're a smart fellow. You already know this. I'm just not playing your game and it frustrates you....

And yes....imagine....private enterprise (you know....having to worry about profit, loss, and lawsuits, and more) took a while to catch up to the monolithic state who could throw money and lives at space flight without having to answer to anyone. Shocking....
I questio whether until space travel is made inexpensive, out of the public dole, space will ever be open for porfitable exploration by private enerprise. Some porjects are so huge and risky that only the ublic sector can and will take them on.

Quote:
So...shall we continue debating about the debate of the debate, or playing cutsy games with semantics, or do you have something to add regarding communism, and how it might be implemented differently next time so as not to end up as totalitarian state? (GASP! Vel asking for theory! Will wonders never cease?!)

-=Vel=-
I have already stated I am no Marxist-Leninist. I think Lenin was wrong, i think marx was wrong on many details. But communism can exist beyond them. If you fail to understand or graps this, your porblem, not mine. Where Marx was correct, i believe, is that all system build the conditions that eventually bring them to an end, and I do think that after capitalism comes to a end (like mercantalism and feudalism came to an end before it), what follows will be a form of communism. If you feel unable to argue with that, don't try.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by GePap; June 23, 2003 at 17:09.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:08   #424
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe
Nothing and everything. We are essentially the same base creature we always were. Strip away the thin veneer of civilization and we're the same creature filled with selfish wants.

Some portion of our population will always act in their own interests and subjugate other portions. Has always been will always be. I don't care what government tag you apply.
And we are also the same people who came up with things like monestaries and religions like Buddhism and christinaity. One of the longest lasting cultures of man in the world was that of the aborigenes: if you can tell me what that has to do with your apocalyptic vision of man, well, that would be interesting.

Love is in a way a selfish want. Man is a social being. He craves power and status. The question is, how do you define power and status? those definitins can change, and hence the ends of man.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:10   #425
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

I have already stated I am no Marxist-Leninist. I think Lenin was wrong, i think marx was wrong on many details. But communism can exist beyond them. If you fail to understand or graps this, your porblem, not mine. Where Marx was correct, i believe, is that all system build the conditions that eventually bring them to an end, and I do think that after capitalism comes to a end (like mercantalism and feudalism came to an end before it), what follows will be a form of communism. If you feel unable to argue with that, don't try.
Perhaps perhaps not. Certainly the world has seen its fair share of governmental revolutions. In almost every case though you can point to a selfish motive that caused the revolution. If and when a communist revolution comes, youcan be assured it will be because the underprivledged are looking to selfishly aquire the wealth of the upper class.

And likewise just as every other government is doomed so would be communism as it does not put the individual first and foremost as is the true want of man.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter
Old June 23, 2003, 17:10   #426
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Yes! Communism can exist beyond them!

Now...how are you going to go about making that happen?

Given the lessons of history (side note: if there is no truth, do you even acknoledge historical fact, or does it just get tossed as irrelevant?), and the mistakes made in earlier implementations of communism, what would you do differently? How would you ensure that a centralized elite did not spring up?

(and, even tho I poked fun at your net resource browser, it was a good idea....not complete--ie, by itself it would be nothing more than a functional database--but a good start. Build on that. Add to that. I'll listen, and even comment.

Thing is, I never talk about the game before the game.

I never bothered with fantasy football.

Know why? Cos my talking about the game won't change its outcome, and is therefore, not something I care to spend time on.

Talking about the particulars of the game afterwards (and during), yeah, that rocks, but beforehand, it's all speculation. When I want to speculate, I write fiction. I don't speculate with people's lives (which is what a half cocked implementation of communism will cost).

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:11   #427
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

And we are also the same people who came up with things like monestaries and religions like Buddhism and christinaity. One of the longest lasting cultures of man in the world was that of the aborigenes: if you can tell me what that has to do with your apocalyptic vision of man, well, that would be interesting.

Love is in a way a selfish want. Man is a social being. He craves power and status. The question is, how do you define power and status? those definitins can change, and hence the ends of man.
And religion has the perhaps the longest set of sins of mankind attached to it as selfish people in charge enacted their wills on others.

Old June 23, 2003, 17:15   #428
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 20:10
Quote:
The etiology of schizophrenia is unknown, but the conditions necessary for its appearance are environmental stress and individual vulnerability

Poverty is a prime factor that contributes to mental illness,….

Still reading but these two quotes jump out at me.

1) The etiology is not known.
1a) LOTS of things cause environmental stress—like, oh, say, being threatened by the party bosses that your family will disappear
2) Says here that poverty is a prime factor. “A” meaning that there are other “prime factors” as well, as in, poverty is one of the factors. Not the cause. Not the only factor.

Further, per the article you sent me to:

More than a third of the world’s illnesses would be preventable if we could change the behaviors that increase the risk of illness

So, the article itself stresses that more than one third of the problem is behavioral in nature (ie – even if poverty was no longer an issue, if basic behavioral changes were not made, the illness would still occur). Unless you are now going to argue that poverty is a behavioral pattern, rather than an economic condition?

Further, given that poverty existed in the USSR, and given that it exists today in China, one can hardly attribute poverty as being in the exclusive domain of capitalism (since neither of those systems were capitalistic).

But that hurts your argument, so we'll just ignore it, right?

-=Vel=-
(as you say....educate yourself )

Maybe poverty doesn't cause all mental illness, and maybe the blue sky doesn't cause Dubya's roids. I never said either of those things.

Man, it's amazing that you guys are able to rule the world. You can;t even keep up your side of a debate on the things that matter most to you. All you can do is create strawmen.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:15   #429
Velociryx
staff

GePap: I would argue that the REASON the aborigenal culture survived intact for as long as it did simply by virtue of its total lack of contact with outside influences, not on the virtue of its own inherent strengths. Coffee in a vacuum sealed bag stays fresh. Doesn't mean that there's anything special about the coffee itself tho (and admit it! You KNOW you love the speed with which I can whip an analogy out! )

Power: The basic tenent of power has not changed since the first ape picked up a club.

Power over other men.

What changes around that is mere window dressing. The manifestation itself has not changed one whit.

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 17:17   #430
Velociryx
staff

Nope...you never said poverty doesn't cause ALL mental illness, but you sure did say poverty causes mental illness.

Want me to quote you again?

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 17:20   #431
GePap
Emperor

Quote:
Yes! Communism can exist beyond them!

Now...how are you going to go about making that happen?

Given the lessons of history (side note: if there is no truth, do you even acknoledge historical fact, or does it just get tossed as irrelevant?), and the mistakes made in earlier implementations of communism, what would you do differently? How would you ensure that a centralized elite did not spring up?
For one thing, start in a state rich enough to make it work: none of the states in which communist revolutions took place were rich, they were all poor. Communism is expensive. Second, no revolutionary vanguard. The process to building it would be slow, form the bottom up. I do beleieve that as capitalism evolves further tensions will rise between it and the democratic system. I can elaborate latter.

Quote:
(and, even tho I poked fun at your net resource browser, it was a good idea....not complete--ie, by itself it would be nothing more than a functional database--but a good start. Build on that. Add to that. I'll listen, and even comment.
But that is all one needs as far as respource allocation, the data to pintpoint were folks want the resources spent. The big issue is with distribution and the manufacturing lines themselves.

Quote:
Talking about the particulars of the game afterwards (and during), yeah, that rocks, but beforehand, it's all speculation. When I want to speculate, I write fiction. I don't speculate with people's lives (which is what a half cocked implementation of communism will cost).
That you dislike it has no relevance to its value. I don;t like Tennis. Doesn;t mean tennis has any less inherent value than something I personally like.

Quote:
And likewise just as every other government is doomed so would be communism as it does not put the individual first and foremost as is the true want of man.
The individual, in the modern sense, has been put first and foremost only in the last 300 years. out of an assumed 100,000 years of homo sapiens sapiens that is an insinificant time of "man's nature".

This being the wettest June on record in NYC, I should go an enjoy this one day of sun and high 80's. S I will check in later, if it hasn't reached 500.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:31   #432
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Nope...you never said poverty doesn't cause ALL mental illness, but you sure did say poverty causes mental illness.

Want me to quote you again?

-=Vel=-
Damn! You are denser than ****! Yes, I said that it causes mental illness, and I gave you a cite!
Old June 23, 2003, 17:31   #433
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

The individual, in the modern sense, has been put first and foremost only in the last 300 years. out of an assumed 100,000 years of homo sapiens sapiens that is an insinificant time of "man's nature".

This being the wettest June on record in NYC, I should go an enjoy this one day of sun and high 80's. S I will check in later, if it hasn't reached 500.
Your kidding me right. You truly beleive that the root causes for ancient war and the power struggles of old had nothing to do with the me.

Ceaser he was doing it simply for the greater good of Rome right? Lol....

Alexander the Great .... yep he just wanted everyone to be happy nothing in it for him right?

I'll grant you only in the last 300 years has their been a representative governement although one could argue that the Romans had a semblence of one.

Has always been will always be.

Old June 23, 2003, 17:34   #434
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Communism is a pipe dream contradicted by the very nature of man.
Survival is part of the nature of man, killing is not. People will only kill if they have to do it to survive. Killing for any other reason is psychopathic.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:35   #435
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
[

For one thing, start in a state rich enough to make it work: none of the states in which communist revolutions took place were rich, they were all poor. Communism is expensive. Second, no revolutionary vanguard. The process to building it would be slow, form the bottom up. I do beleieve that as capitalism evolves further tensions will rise between it and the democratic system. I can elaborate latter.
Seems to me your describing a starting point wherein the state has some time to digest itself. Redistibute the wealth and then hope and pray that there is a mechanism to continue to create wealth for all. Simply seem to me to be robbing the rich to pay the poor with nothing after that. I've been reading to much Ayn Rand I guess.

Old June 23, 2003, 17:36   #436
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kidicious

Survival is part of the nature of man, killing is not. People will only kill if they have to do it to survive. Killing for any other reason is psychopathic.
Welcome to a certain reality of man. There is unfortunately a segment that will be so.

Old June 23, 2003, 17:41   #437
Velociryx
staff

That you dislike it has no relevance to its value. I don;t like Tennis. Doesn;t mean tennis has any less inherent value than something I personally like.

True. It's also true that what I don't like (specific to this debate--slipshod implementation of communism, for example) also costs lives for poor implementation. They (the folks who lost their lives) don't like it much either. But they can't voice it anymore.

I'm not saying that a thing lacks value because I don't like it. I am saying that it's of little interest to ME (and therefore, won't be something I spend a lot of time discussing, just as you prolly wouldn't be arsed to spend a lot of time talking turkey about tennis).

And I would disagree 'bout the database being all that's needed. If we're going to talk about a "perfect" communist society, then we need to talk about how the "needed" goods and services get delivered, and if there's rationing (ie - each household is allocated X rolls of toilet paper per month....if you need more, tough), or is it simply "push the button and we bring it to your door" - if so, what is to stop rampant exploitation of the system?

I would disagree. People have always been putting themselves first.

If I'm a bigger caveman, I take what I want (the best women, the best food, etc). Screw you!

Till you figure out how to build a club. Ahhh, now YOU're the big dog. You get the best women, the best food.

Till I figure out how to make a spear, and our positions reverse themselves.

Then you make a bow.

Then I learn to ride a horse.

One could study the tribal histories of the native americans to get another perspective (ie - different from the european historic perspective). The tribes fought, competed for resources, etc (and Kid, they didn't know capitalism existed! ), and put their own individual needs and wants above the needs and wants of others.

Sometimes, those needs and wants were best met by a spirit of cooperation, sometimes not, but the "me first" attitude is a) nothing new to man and b) nigh on impossible to be rid of--I agree with Og, no matter how much "conditioning" you do, man will revert to type.

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 17:44   #438
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Welcome to a certain reality of man. There is unfortunately a segment that will be so.
Agreed. Let's do something about the killing that we have control over. Stop killing for survival. Stop killing for resources. Stop killing for capitalism.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:47   #439
Velociryx
staff

Kid:

Yes, I said that it causes mental illness, and I gave you a cite!

You sure did. And per the site you gave me, you are incorrect. AT BEST, poverty is one of a number of components leading to mental illness.

Being one of the components that can cause an illness =/ causing the illness, no matter how much you would love to make it so.

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 17:49   #440
Velociryx
staff

...and don't forget, stop killing for control....

Which essentially means, change the inherent "me first" nature of man, and we'll be fine, which is what we've been saying all along, which is (again) why communism doesn't work.

-=Vel=-
(ta da!)
Old June 23, 2003, 17:50   #441
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

No No Vel

It's OG make Furk. Eat plenty food quickly.

GEPP make Hammur (as in Hammer and Sickle ). Beat Og up and take food since Og welthy (fud wize).

Continue with your analogy from there.

Old June 23, 2003, 17:53   #442
Velociryx
staff

Og!

Will have to continue the analogy from home, though I must say, you're off to a fantastic start!....'tis time for me to kiss the workplace g'bye, but! Soon as I get in the door, I'll be lookin' here to see what new stuffage awaits!

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 17:54   #443
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
...and don't forget, stop killing for control....

Which essentially means, change the inherent "me first" nature of man, and we'll be fine, which is what we've been saying all along, which is (again) why communism doesn't work.

-=Vel=-
(ta da!)
I don't believe you can stop that. You better debate with the Utopian Socialists on that. Capitalism kills for control too.
Old June 23, 2003, 17:57   #444
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Kid:

Yes, I said that it causes mental illness, and I gave you a cite!

You sure did. And per the site you gave me, you are incorrect. AT BEST, poverty is one of a number of components leading to mental illness.

Being one of the components that can cause an illness =/ causing the illness, no matter how much you would love to make it so.

-=Vel=-
You musta got manure fur yer brains boy!

Seriously, I think you have some serious bias issues.
Old June 23, 2003, 18:00   #445
Ogie Oglethorpe
ACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Quote:

I don't believe you can stop that. You better debate with the Utopian Socialists on that. Capitalism kills for control too.
Kid,

Just for a second get beyond the latest fad government (meant economic system here) capitalism. All these bad things have happened before. It is not a symptom of the government it is a symptom of man.

No matter how much you try to lay it at the feet of the repressionistic economic system you envision captialism to be, it is there because of the motives that drive man not because of the system. Every form of government enacted has had the same common theme, repression of people in one form or another.

Capitalism doen't repress people, people do.

Always has always will.

Old June 23, 2003, 18:04   #446
Kidicious
Deity

Quote:
Kid,

Just for a second get beyond the latest fad government (meant economic system here) capitalism. All these bad things have happened before. It is not a symptom of the government it is a symptom of man.

No matter how much you try to lay it at the feet of the repressionistic economic system you envision captialism to be, it is there because of the motives that drive man not because of the system. Every form of government enacted has had the same common theme, repression of people in one form or another.

Capitalism doen't repress people, people do.

Always has always will.
Well you must think that feudalism, primative society, capitalism, and communism are all about the same.

Last edited by Kidicious; June 23, 2003 at 18:48.
Old June 23, 2003, 19:29   #447
Velociryx
staff

I don't believe you can stop that.

I don't believe we can stop that either, which is exactly why I frankly hope that your revolution fails miserably, cos there's gonna be a whole lot of killin' going on otherwise.

You musta got manure fur yer brains boy! Seriously, I think you have some serious bias issues

I think you should re-read the article you gave me. Not once does it say that poverty CAUSES mental illness (as you claimed). It says it's a factor (and even one of the numerous major factors). It also says that more than a third of the disorders are behaviorally caused, but hey, don't believe me....go have a look at your article.

Og: Kid can't do that....he has demonstrated that he's so desperate to believe in "his system" that he'll blatantly ignore any factual evidence he's presented with, because "his system" NEEDS capitalism as a boogy man. Innat right, Kid?

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 19:41   #448
Velociryx
staff

One thing I would like to hear from the communist crowd is this:

Granted, there have been (and are today) tribes and cultures which are essentially communally based.

The tribes in question are so marginalized and failed so completely to innovate and change with the times that they are effectively stone age cultures trapped in a world that modernized around them. Attempts at bringing this "communal outlook" into the modern age (ie - modern implementation of "Communism") have failed utterly and are in varying stages of death and dying.

Human beings are not ants in the hive, nor are they willing members of the Borg Collective, so how do you really expect a communally based, all-join-hands-and-sing-songs-together society to work? What incentives are there for the population to hand over their destinies to the state? Why would that be superior (more "rational") than keeping their fate in their own hands?

-=Vel=-
Old June 23, 2003, 21:39   #449
Sikander
King

Local Time: 21:10
Quote:

Peacefull people are now at a disadvantage. Just change system to a system where peacefull people are not at a disadvantage.
Maybe we can force people to be peaceful!

Seriously, how can you eliminate violence? It's a natural condition, something that is "invented" anew every generation regardless of the values of the society these children are born into.

Let's suppose that a society was determined to elimnate violence. To this end they endlessly repeat that violence is bad to their children, and intervene at school whenever a violent incident occurs by sending the evildoers to counciling. Would this work? Or would abused and neglected children still have a tendency to become more violent than others, their parents perhaps not around to scold them for hitting their brother, or perhaps serving as violent role models. These kids get to school and smack someone, for which they get a lot of attention, negative from their classmates and teachers perhaps, and positive from the counselors. There is a lot of self-perpetuation material here, and we've seen this cycle for a very long time. Tough guy is identified as violent by his peers and teachers / police etc., and accepts the role because it feels right (he feels himself to be bad). He is sent to counseling, but that slow work to become like everyone else 10 years behind schedule can't effectively compete with the excitement of being the bad boy, especially once the bad girls get ahold of him.

You seem to think that we can simply disincentivize violence away, but that idea has had a long history of incomplete success at best to abject failure at worst. It is completely incapable of dealing with various manias and mob violence, social pathologies and psychiatric conditions. We may be able to manage violence, but we are in no position to eliminate it in the least. Just this week I heard people chanting "No Justice, No Peace!"
Old June 23, 2003, 22:00   #450
Sikander
King

Local Time: 21:10
Quote:

The Third World: Is a mish mash of fledgling democracies holding on by their fingernails, and tin-pot dictatorships. About all that anybody can say about the third world is that it's undeveloped at this point.

That is neither the fault of communism or capitalism.

-=Vel=-
Actually the popularity of communism at the end of the Imperial era had a lot to do with the rapid economic decline experienced in so many new states whose leaders had been educated in commie dogma in western universities. Unregulated markets also played their part, as did interference from outsiders and domestic instability. This is a failure so vast it has a hundred fathers.