Old June 21, 2003, 00:04   #1
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 23:12
Local Date: November 1, 2010
July NOMINATIONS
It's that time again, time for nominations, the new term begins on July 1st and runs until July 31st, or 30th, whichever is the last day of the month Nominations end in 5 days.

Nominated:

President
shade?
123John321

Minister of War
Hydey

City planner
STYOM/Obiwan (Vacation Trading)

Foriegn Minister
H Tower
MrWhereItsAt

Science Minister
Sparrowhawk

Historian?

Last edited by H Tower; June 25, 2003 at 13:32.
Old June 21, 2003, 07:46   #2
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
/me would like to continue

I feel I have done a reasonable job as Minister of war and would like the opportunatey to continue for another month.

Our armies morale is very high following our mighty victory over the Japanese at Kyoto.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 21, 2003, 09:27   #3
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 22:12
Maybe as Foriegn Minister, I don't know yet.
Old June 21, 2003, 16:33   #4
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

I'm moving back home at the end of the month for the rest of the summer.

I don't think I'll run again next term, give someone else a chance.

Sorry sparrowhawk, but I appreciate your support.
Old June 22, 2003, 11:19   #5
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

I believe I will step down from public office next term.
Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul
Old June 22, 2003, 13:46   #6
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

I'll throw my hat back in the ring for Foriegn Minister again, this time I might actually do something worthwhile
Old June 22, 2003, 15:02   #7
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

/me nominates Atawa for President

Having been impressed with the level of technological advancement in the most recent term (mainly through huts, but who cares how it came about) I think the most logical choice for President is Atawa, our current Minister of Science.

Further, acting upon Atawa's suggestion that I run for office, I am submitting my name for the position of Science Minister.

Though we may not increase in many technologies over the next term, I promise as Science Minister that before the end of my term, that I will increase the rate at which we are discovering new techs through research.

/me citizen
Old June 22, 2003, 15:47   #8
cavebear
Emperor

SparrowHawk - whatever position you are elected to, I hope you will also remain as our "Geographer of the Known World"
Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
Old June 22, 2003, 19:08   #9
Hydey
Emperor

I hope war4ever & STYOM put there hands up this month.

Old June 22, 2003, 19:22   #10
cavebear
Emperor

I agree Hydey; it's time to see other Citizens step up and provide fresh leadership. Sparrowhawk, War4Ever, and STYOM should take their turns at the helm. They have given good advice and can obviously handle the challenges.

We have had the same people month after month and it is time for that to change.

I want to see what the other citizens will do!

Old June 22, 2003, 23:52   #11
Sparrowhawk
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
SparrowHawk - whatever position you are elected to, I hope you will also remain as our "Geographer of the Known World"
I beleive that I have gained an appreciation as a citizen of the "desire for information" which is only available to the President and the Ministers. I have posted in a number of threads requests for more information (screen shots). As a result, should I be elected to the position of Science Minister, I pledge to provide all science related screen shots after every turn sequence, in an attempt to provide the citizens with all available information which in turn will enable them to provide me with informed decisions.

In addition to Science related screen shots, of course I would happily continue to provide a map of the known world.

Further, I would propose to the new regime that changes be made in the duties of each Minister, indicating what screenshots need to be posted by each Minister, and also what needs to be provided by the President. This way, the citizens know where to look for information on each turn, and Ministers get used to providing the same information, and the President can provide those screenshots on his/her list (lessening the job of the President), and any additional screenshots which may be of interest to the populace.

Of course, any minister could also provide additional screenshots which they feel would be of interest to the citizens, the list would only include the required screen shots.

/me apologizes for campaigning before nominations have closed Feel free to criticize my enthusiasm

Last edited by Sparrowhawk; June 22, 2003 at 23:57.
Old June 23, 2003, 00:02   #12
cavebear
Emperor

So, who is going to step up and serve as President? We do sort of need someone to do that, after all...

There are participants who have not done the job before who could do it, there are some who have done it before who can do it again.

It will be interesting to see what brave citizen decides to meet the challenge... I'm kind of inclined to support a new name....

Old June 23, 2003, 00:06   #13
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
in an attempt to provide the citizens with all available information which in turn will enable them to provide me with informed decisions.
Why not take my job?
Old June 23, 2003, 05:19   #14
shade
King

Local Time: 05:12
Quote:
Originally posted by cavebear
So, who is going to step up and serve as President? We do sort of need someone to do that, after all...
This humble citizen is interested...that is if he can get the support of the majority of the ppl(or just the millitary )

Shade
Old June 23, 2003, 06:24   #15
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by shade

This humble citizen is interested...that is if he can get the support of the majority of the ppl(or just the millitary )

If I am re-elected Minister of War I would give you my support as long as you help keep the army happy with war war and more war.

Old June 23, 2003, 10:15   #16
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

/me muses...

I'd like to run for President, ideally. The difficulty is that I'm on vacation for 2 weeks in July. While a V-P could play the turns in that period, it doesn't make sense to apply for a job and then disappear for half the turns.

I see shade is interested in the Presidency, anyway. So, I'll throw my hat into the ring for the city-planner role (and push my proposal to get cities to size 5 and Xin them). Just bear in mind that I'll be MI (hopefully ) A for the 2nd and 3rd week of July; someone else will need to step in.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 23, 2003, 13:08   #17
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
So, I'll throw my hat into the ring for the city-planner role (and push my proposal to get cities to size 5 and Xin them).
Well, I could fill in for that time, since by then I should be settled, but I'll have to wait and see.

Old June 23, 2003, 14:11   #18
Bob_Smurf42
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
Warlord

Local Time: 20:12
Could you update the list, HTower?

BB
Old June 23, 2003, 17:09   #19
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 06:12
Quote:
* Sparrowhawk nominates Atawa for President
Thanks for the vote of confidence

But after thinking about it I think this is not the time to step up to the post.

My personal life is kinda hectic right now and I cannot commit to this responsibility at the moment.

I'm going to sit back for at least a month and enjoy the life as an Apolytonian citizen.

I would support Shade if he would run for president
Old June 23, 2003, 23:24   #20
Sparrowhawk
Emperor

/me is concerned about the future of our "democracy"

I beleive the basis of a democratic system is allowing every person one vote, and the knowledge that by making use of that vote that an individual can have an effect upon the future of the organization they are voting on (in this case our Kingdom).

Unfortunately, this system requires that there be options to vote for and choose between. It seems that so far this month, as it was last month, there will only be one person running for each of the available positions. I beleive that should our "democracy" continue in this way, that it will lead to anarchy, and rather then one person, one vote, we will be in a situation where there are no options, and our vote is without meaning.

Not wanting to point out a problem, without a solution, I propose 3 solutions, for all of the citizens, ministers, and President to work together to help resolve this problem.
1) Increase the number of citizens, and with it, the number of votes, and hopefully the number of participants running in the monthly elections.
2) Encourage our current citizens to run for office. Perhaps more importantly, not discouraging anyone from running for office (and while I don't think this happens, it easily could).
3) Simplify the jobs of current positions and clarify responsibilities. If anyone is reluctant to commit to the position becuase of time constraints, is there not some way to ease the load so to speak. For instance I have suggested that duties be clarified and split up, to keep from overburdening any one position, and also to keep anyone from duplicating what has already been done.

Any further thoughts on this. I am still new to this concept, and perhaps am overstating this as a problem, but I would be very encouraged if we were able to get at least 2 people running for every office.

Respectively submitted,
Sparrowhawk
Citizen

Note: Excuse the seriousness of the post, I am actually enjoying this game, and can get caught up in "role playing". Hopefully this "game" doesn't get a serious as I make the above sound. As I think Hydey recently put it "You often make me laugh, as do many others on this site, which is why I keep coming back" (paraphrasing, but I quite agree)
Old June 23, 2003, 23:44   #21
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparrowhawk 1) Increase the number of citizens, and with it, the number of votes, and hopefully the number of participants running in the monthly elections.
2) Encourage our current citizens to run for office. Perhaps more importantly, not discouraging anyone from running for office (and while I don't think this happens, it easily could).
3) Simplify the jobs of current positions and clarify responsibilities. If anyone is reluctant to commit to the position becuase of time constraints, is there not some way to ease the load so to speak. For instance I have suggested that duties be clarified and split up, to keep from overburdening any one position, and also to keep anyone from duplicating what has already been done.
Well, my thoughts...
1) - there's no limit on the number of citizens, AFAIK. Anyone who wants to be a citizen, is a citizen. Even people who aren't citizens can't be prevented from voting in the polls, anyway.

2) - I can only think of one person who was discouraged from running. But then, I came in late to Demo #2 and missed Demo #1 entirely. I think we have few candidates because we have a lot of positions, some of which overlap (e.g. city planner, science, and trade minister tend to have a lot of common interests) and not enough people who want to do the work (or have the time to).

3) - I'm quite happy formulating policy, making polls, debating which strategy is best, etc. I'm not a screenshot expert. Maybe we need deputy ministers?

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old June 24, 2003, 00:21   #22
H Tower

Is it agreable to STYOM and Obiwan18 to be put together on the ballot to reflect they'd be sharing the position, trading off when the other is out of town?

STYOM: your point #2, we don't have a trade minister anymore since we aren't using camels. As for #3, I've usually filled that capacity, but i've been super busy lately, now that I'm home and working. I'm rarely at my computer anymore with time for screenshot projects
Old June 24, 2003, 01:17   #23
King

Quote:
Originally posted by H Tower
Is it agreable to STYOM and Obiwan18 to be put together on the ballot to reflect they'd be sharing the position, trading off when the other is out of town?
Fine by me... Put both our names on the ballot (if obiwan concurs) - the second place finisher suffers the indignity of being the deputy minister! Unless the banana wins.

As to your other point - true about there being no trade minister - but in previous games, there was overlap between trade/science/cityplan. And in this game, the city planner and the war minister have overlap: the war minister's units abroad impinge on the cityplanners production capabilities, in a sense, and in turn, the cityplanner controls the flow of new units to the frontlines. So overlap is inevitable. And that makes the role of the minister more complicated - sometimes you can't do what's needed, simply because you haven't got the authority.

Old June 24, 2003, 02:54   #24
Ben Kenobi
Emperor

Quote:
Fine by me... Put both our names on the ballot (if obiwan concurs) - the second place finisher suffers the indignity of being the deputy minister!
Naw, I don't mind being the deputy, if STYOM will be the sheriff....
Old June 24, 2003, 14:31   #25
mrboo123
Rise of Nations MultiplayerC4DG VoxCiv4 SP Democracy GameNationStates
King

Local Time: 22:12
After thinking about it, I'll run for Presaidnt again!
Old June 24, 2003, 15:37   #26
atawa
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 06:12
Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321

Thanks, I needed that
Old June 24, 2003, 18:35   #27
Hydey
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by 123john321
well done John
The more people willing to run for possitions the better.

where has War4ever gone, he did say he would look at running for something this time around.

Old June 25, 2003, 01:03   #28
H Tower

Quote:
Originally posted by Hydey
where has War4ever gone, he did say he would look at running for something this time around.
probably hiding until the elections begin

He even posted in a different forum 2 minutes ago
Old June 25, 2003, 02:09   #29
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:12
/me was inspired by Sparrowhawk's post, especially since he can remember giving a similar speech frequently in the Civ3DG

Hang it all. Put me down for, oh, Foreign Minister or something.

I don't have a lot of time but I could do this job if elected.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old June 25, 2003, 06:54   #30
Hydey
Emperor

yes yes yes, more nominations are good ,good,good.