View Poll Results: Re-Start?
yes 25 86.21%
no 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22, 2003, 00:57   #1
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:16
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Should we Restart the game?
The game is set to Chieftain. I didn't notice last night. We are early enough into the game that we can re-start at the proper level of Monarch. We'd use the same Map and all.
BigFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 00:59   #2
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 22:16
Ah but you didn't mention it was wise and observative Team Latin Lover which found out about this! Proving once again that Latins are the greatest race on the face of the PTWDG

BTW, I say we should re-start, it's only the first turn and it's not even through...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 01:02   #3
BigFree
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG RoleplayCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG CalysiumBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Deity

Sorry MZ, yes it was a wise @ss Latino who brought this to my attention.

BTW, ET still wants you to be his in-game Latin Lover.
Old June 22, 2003, 01:06   #4
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
BTW, ET still wants you to be his in-game Latin Lover.
nah... wait till he sees our women

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old June 22, 2003, 02:55   #5
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Although the votes are overwhelmingly in favor of yes, I'd like to see if anyone has a comment before tomorrow (today) morning.

Old June 22, 2003, 03:48   #6
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

sure

wasn't there a problem with all games being chieftan though? Did they ever sort that problem out? I remember all pbem games used to start at chieftan no matter what you put in.
Old June 22, 2003, 05:22   #7
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 04:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No of course we shouldn't restart. It's a shame this is on Chieftain but we may as well stick with it now.

Who cares? - this game isn't supposed to be very competitive anyway, is it?

Besides, who's to say that it won't just get stuck on Chieftain a second time? Damn bugs....
Old June 22, 2003, 06:07   #8
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 05:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
wasn't there a problem with all games being chieftan though? Did they ever sort that problem out? I remember all pbem games used to start at chieftan no matter what you put in.
No, if everyone is carefully when loading. All PBEM games I'm in so far preserved their difficulty level.

Yes to restart the game. Competition or not, but 4 content citizens (= less need for luxuries), superfast research (= less need for tech trading) and huge advantages against barbarians (= less need to defend early cities and to maintain a military) is a bit too much.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 07:32   #9
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

Local Time: 00:16
One turn - it is almost painless to restart. Yes.
Hot Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 09:25   #10
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Deleted.

Last edited by GhengisFarb™; June 22, 2003 at 09:38.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 09:34   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 06:16
Drop it GF.
-

Don't care, but get going already

(I lean towards restarting though)

Last edited by alva; June 22, 2003 at 12:18.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 10:38   #12
DaveMcW
Prince

Local Time: 23:16
BigFree, you can make sure the difficulty levels stick by going to Player Properties and changing difficulty from "Any" to "Monarch".
DaveMcW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 10:52   #13
jolair
Spanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4BtSDG Imperio
Prince

Re-Start
Old June 22, 2003, 12:57   #14
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

Yeah, why not. Even if the game is uncompetitive, cheiftan will destroy the tech-trading orgies and it will cause us to target each other too much (no worry for Barbs) and...whutever.

Restart!
Old June 22, 2003, 13:00   #15
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Yes.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 13:39   #16
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

What FP failed to mention was that our team started with 2 different luxuries (wines and incense) and four cattle within the 21 tile city radius, and that our city is adjacent to a river that serpents around such that over half the city tiles have a river trade bonus.

We also popped a hut when we built our city, it gave us a second settler.

Other than that we have a really crap start.

Old June 22, 2003, 13:42   #17
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Yes.
Old June 22, 2003, 13:49   #18
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

/me silences Big Mouth Crunch with a gun he borrowed from the NRA
Old June 22, 2003, 13:55   #19
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

ok, restart...

now was this a loading bug or was it me?

If it was me please someone tell me how to get it in monarch!!
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Panzer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 14:16   #20
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

oh, just so everyone knows:

They will be the same starting positions if we restart. I'm not making another map for you guys.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:33   #21
BigFree
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveMcW
BigFree, you can make sure the difficulty levels stick by going to Player Properties and changing difficulty from "Any" to "Monarch".
Panzer32 started the game for us. He sent me the save file, (1.14 because it is not possible to do in 1.21), right after the game begun. He saved the game and sent it to me. So, there's no settings for me to fool with. When I loaded the game, it was already set to Chieftain, no mistakes from anyone on reloading from the wrong menu. If the mistake is caused by his saving and my loading from mid-turn, then I will have him play our turn and send it to Python from there.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:55   #22
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFree

Panzer32 started the game for us. He sent me the save file, (1.14 because it is not possible to do in 1.21), right after the game begun. He saved the game and sent it to me. So, there's no settings for me to fool with. When I loaded the game, it was already set to Chieftain, no mistakes from anyone on reloading from the wrong menu. If the mistake is caused by his saving and my loading from mid-turn, then I will have him play our turn and send it to Python from there.
Well then THAT's the problem! Didn't anyone know about the saving in mid-game bugs in 1.14?

I think Sunshine should let Panzer32 play its turn so that this corrects itself and the game can start in 1.21.

Old June 22, 2003, 18:02   #23
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:16
But... if it's being started in 1.14... I thought there was a bug that all games started with 1.14 are chieftain. I think you have to use 1.04 to start the game (1.21 probably works too, though I'm not sure; if it does, the game can be 1.21 from the start if Panzer plays Sunshine's turn for them).
Old June 22, 2003, 19:32   #24
BigFree
Deity

Since this poll is heavily in favor of re-starting, I'm asking Panzer32 to play Sunshines first turn, in 1.21 and then send it on to Python.

Panzer32 can come by our forums to see how we played it originally. He can play it in the exact same way. Or he can contact me on IRC.
Old June 22, 2003, 19:41   #25
Master Zen
Deity

wait!!!

I just re-tested a PBEM in the spanish forum which started with the same problem. The problem is precisely what DaveMcW said: if you manually change the difficulty in the Player Properties screen to "Monarch" for each player, the game works correctly. Tested, and true

That means Sunshine can still play its first turn as long as Panzer re-edits the scenario with this. Of course, just in case, Sunshine should make sure it loads as Monarch.

Old June 22, 2003, 19:56   #26
Panzer32
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
wait!!!

I just re-tested a PBEM in the spanish forum which started with the same problem. The problem is precisely what DaveMcW said: if you manually change the difficulty in the Player Properties screen to "Monarch" for each player, the game works correctly. Tested, and true

That means Sunshine can still play its first turn as long as Panzer re-edits the scenario with this. Of course, just in case, Sunshine should make sure it loads as Monarch.
This was done on the original scenario

I'm just as happy to play Sunshine's turn... it isn't too much trouble. Its just the first turn for gosh sakes!!
---------
May God Bless.
Old June 23, 2003, 02:38   #27
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Shall I still bother finishing the Cake or Death turn? It seems certain that we're gonna start over, I think I should just wait for the second game to come around.
Old June 23, 2003, 02:46   #28
BigFree
Deity

Yes, you should just wait. I was hoping Panzer32 would have sent Python the turn by now...
Old June 23, 2003, 05:37   #29
Master Zen
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
Shall I still bother finishing the Cake or Death turn? It seems certain that we're gonna start over, I think I should just wait for the second game to come around.
Our team sent you the save despite knowing that the game was likely to restart. We did it so you guys could plan your turn so that when the "good" save comes by, you can play it quckly. Thus, I see no problem with passing the save at least for this turn just so that the new game's first turn goes by quickly.

Old June 23, 2003, 14:29   #30
Panzer32
Emperor

ok, what I'm doing is this:

To avoid any difficulty level problems in the future, I modded each difficulty level to equal monarch. There, that should hold 'em.

I'm inputting all the civ customization now and turn will be sent to Monty Python shortly.
---------
May God Bless.