Old June 22, 2003, 12:52   #31
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 2, 2010
When I sit down and think about it, I always think it's really funny that men are so attracted to lumps of fat. But that detracts from the fun, so I never stay on that line of thought for very long.
Old June 22, 2003, 13:02   #32
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx

Doc Strangelove nailed it. For an excellent, exploration into that, read Desmon Morris' "The Naked Ape." (he goes on to say that the same line of thinking is why, even today, there is an almost primal fascination with women painting their lips bright, vibrant shades of red, and why pouty lips are considered "sexy." (I'm sure it won't take most of you but half a second to draw your own conclusions there).

Both this, and the development of fleshy brests were designed to "draw the male's attention 'round to the front" as Morris put it.

As a milk-providing apparatus, the human female breast is actually quite poorly designed, requiring substantial work and risk to human infants (as compared to say, female chimpanzee breasts....thus, they (the breast of the human female) must have evolved with some other purpose in mind.

-=Vel=-
D****t, that Morris guy stold another of my ideas!
Old June 22, 2003, 13:05   #33
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 23:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper

Aww, I bet Ming's heart will melt when he sees the beautiful picture of motherhood that you posted, Dissident. But then you'd still have to hop rah's heart melts, too.

Gatekeeper
rah and ming are simply alter egos in the same body. if ming likes it, rah will hate it.

but if ming's heart melts first, rahs heart will already be liquified, so, um, i dunno.
Old June 22, 2003, 13:09   #34
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Boobs were created in a plot by evil male chauvisnists to weaken women militarily. Big tits interfer with them drawing bows and present increased target area, with no added benefit, to be cut by swords.
From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"
Old June 22, 2003, 13:12   #35
Dr Strangelove
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Boobs were created in a plot by evil male chauvisnists to weaken women militarily. Big tits interfer with them drawing bows and present increased target area, with no added benefit, to be cut by swords.
You'd cut a woman's breast off with a sword? I don't know which tribe you're descended from Lefty, but I'm utterly positive it's not one of mine!
Old June 22, 2003, 13:55   #36
Neutrino
Settler

The development of breasts in human females was probably a result of Darwinian sexual selection working on the existing mammalian genome. Individuals that display the trait(s) that the opposite sex find attractive will be passed onto offspring. Those who lack the traits will likely not mate.
Old June 22, 2003, 14:13   #37
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 12:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Velociryx
Doc Strangelove nailed it. For an excellent, exploration into that, read Desmon Morris' "The Naked Ape."
Desmon Morris is completely off his rockers on this one. Don't forget, the Great Apes and humans share a common ancestor, but we don't come from the Great Apes. The feeling theory is much closer to the truth. Since we can have sex all the time, that means women need to feed the babies at all times. Hence, they have breasts all year around, instead of just seasonal.

Besides, Morris was trying to explain why (most) men are fixated about women's breasts, not why they have them biologically. He is a behavioural scientist, not a biologist.
Old June 22, 2003, 14:37   #38
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 21:17
I need to address breasts being made naturally selected for men to find attractive.

It would be safe to assume men found women attractive no matter what size their breasts were, or we would not be here. The argements above assume women at some point in history had small breasts, and they evolved big ones. I disagree. Men were just as attracted to women with small breasts, or they wouldn't have reproduced in sufficient numbers to sustain the human population.

Also many populations have small breasts. I think diet and environment are factors there. Many asian women have small breasts for example. While european and americans tend to have larger breasts. Although I can't fully explain why african women have large breasts- for their nutrition can be poor depending on where they live.
Old June 22, 2003, 14:49   #39
Neutrino
Settler

There are many possible factors, including genetic drift due to isolation events, that may contribute to women's breast size.

My theory does not assume that women had small breasts to begin with; it assumes that males in general prefer larger ones to a certain extent. Over time, the genotypes for larger breasts will be selected for. Perhaps the size of breasts indicated how healthy a particular female was. There does not need to be a large population of humans to begin with.

But given our present knowledge on this subject, it will be very difficult to determine the exact cause, if any.

Populations with different breast sizes may have undergone some change specific to their population, but dietary factors cannot be ruled out.
Old June 22, 2003, 14:52   #40
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Originally posted by Boddington's

Explain this.
All the Y chromosome does is tell other genes to masculanise the body. It's got one active gene and a bunch of junk DNA that's gotten dumped there. All the interesting stuff is on the X chromosome. A person born with only an X chromosome or an unfunctioning Y chromosome will be biologically female. You need an X chromosome to live but you only need one.

There's also lots of other stuff like how the X chromosome and the Y one are at a state of genetic war since it's to the advantage of the X genes to mutate so that it benefits females even if it hurts males since genes on an X chromosome spend most of their time in female carriers. But interloci warfare isn't something I can quote off the top of my head.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old June 22, 2003, 14:58   #41
Soul Survivor
Settler

Local Time: 04:17
......because even god can only listen to a woman for so long
Old June 22, 2003, 14:59   #42
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Both this, and the development of fleshy brests were designed to "draw the male's attention 'round to the front" as Morris put it.

The problem with this theory is that in many societies, people didn't have sex from the front, but rather from the behind.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old June 22, 2003, 14:59   #43
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 20:17
Fun bags!!!!

Mis Novias
Old June 22, 2003, 16:05   #44
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 22:17
Quote:
Originally posted by Starchild
All the Y chromosome does is tell other genes to masculanise the body. It's got one active gene and a bunch of junk DNA that's gotten dumped there. All the interesting stuff is on the X chromosome.
The latest research indicates otherwise. The Y chromosome, while smaller than its genetic mate, the X chromosome, is supposed to be a palindrome. IOW, it's capable of self-repairing itself by simply folding over and exchanging genetic sequences as necessary. So, in essence, the Y chromosome doesn't necessarily need the X chromosome for much of anything, which is why only the tips of the X and Y are capable of exchanging DNA information. Also, the Y chromosome is more prone to genetic mutations than the X, and it's these changes that drive a good part of our evolution — they're introduced, permanently, into the human genome when the Y- or X-bearing sperm unites with the X-bearing egg.

Quote:
A person born with only an X chromosome or an unfunctioning Y chromosome will be biologically female. You need an X chromosome to live but you only need one.
I was under the impression that you needed XX or XY in order to function. Any other combination simply won't do.

Quote:
There's also lots of other stuff like how the X chromosome and the Y one are at a state of genetic war since it's to the advantage of the X genes to mutate so that it benefits females even if it hurts males since genes on an X chromosome spend most of their time in female carriers. But interloci warfare isn't something I can quote off the top of my head.
See my first statement regarding genetics. I'm not expert, though, just relating some of what I've read as of late.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old June 22, 2003, 16:09   #45
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Dan, true 'nuff, but the paralells are both obvious and compelling. Add to that, the fact that it's a pattern we've seen repeated in nature in other creatures and it's a pretty solid idea.

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:20   #46
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 05:17
Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
I was under the impression that you needed XX or XY in order to function. Any other combination simply won't do.
Gatekeeper
There's a genetic condition where a child only has one X chromosome. Physically, it's a girl, can't remember if they are fertile or not.

Also, depending on if the X chromosome came from the mother or the father, the girl acts in different ways. But that's fun stuff on competition between parternal and maternal genes.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old June 22, 2003, 16:24   #47
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 07:17
better than having 3 sex chromosomes.
Old June 22, 2003, 16:26   #48
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Humans mate from the front, so it is thought that human females lost the swelling buttocks because they're not very prominent in erect walking humans, but then evolved larger frontal breasts to attract mates.
In many cultures, breasts don't have anywhere near the attraction from men as they do in our culture. In many cultures, breasts are not considered sexual at all, especially in hot climates.

Furthermore, humans mating soley from the front is a Christian thing. Try reading the Kama Sutra sometime. Humans mate from any direction they can. Furthermore, in terms of deepest penetration, from the rear is the best position, which means that semen is less likely to escape down someone's leg.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 22, 2003, 16:28   #49
Az
Emperor

Indeed.

Breasts are still good to get a grip, though.
Old June 22, 2003, 17:02   #50
FrostyBoy
Emperor

It is not to make them attractive - that's what stupid sexual fanatic scientists came up with.

If you lived in a Nudist camp all your life (I have not), you would not be aroused or attracted because of her breasts.

The fact is, when something is hyped up to be something great, the masses will believe and follow.

Remember, there were a time where women had to hide their ankles, men got aroused just by seeing that.

But because the breasts generally vary quite a lot from woman to woman, the breast has remained the most wanted-to-see part of the female body.
Old June 22, 2003, 17:05   #51
FrostyBoy
Emperor

You can train yourself to stop being a follower of course, and so therefore it cannot be an instinct, but rather the media and your friends have brainwashed you by accident.
Old June 22, 2003, 17:16   #52
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
It's got one active gene and a bunch of junk DNA that's gotten dumped there.
There is something I always wondered about...

What if all this junk DNA is actually documentation?
Old June 22, 2003, 17:21   #53
Oerdin
Deity

Stop asking why and just enjoy them.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 22, 2003, 18:04   #54
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 22:17
Well, what we need is some female perspective on this, and the odds of that at 'Poly are approximately 1 in 500 or so, correct?

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old June 22, 2003, 18:06   #55
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Stop asking why and just enjoy them.
Best answer.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old June 22, 2003, 18:39   #56
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

women who have a defective y chromosone are infertile and cannot get pregnant btw.
Old June 22, 2003, 18:51   #57
Oerdin
Deity

Any woman who has a Y chromosome is defective to begin with.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old June 22, 2003, 19:07   #58
Sikander
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Actually a portion of the fat that makes up milk does indeed come from the fatty tissue in which the milk glands are embedded. There is however a theory that the breasts are a replacement of the fleshy buttocks sported by female apes during estrus. In apes the buttocks of the female swell during the ovulatory portion of the estrus cycle, and serve to give males notice that the female is ready to breed. Apes mate from the rear. Humans mate from the front....
Humans mate from the front? D'oh!
Old June 22, 2003, 19:11   #59
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

...cos they feel nice?
Old June 22, 2003, 19:21   #60
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince