Old June 22, 2003, 18:47   #1
Quintus_AP
Settler

Local Time: 05:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Moons
I've got another issue, which bugs me almost from the beginning:
What are the moons for?
Now they even have their sizes listed, however, I still can't see the way to use them, to settle them or build defences there.
Is it the case of some Tech I don't know?
Quintus_AP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2003, 18:57   #2
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
They add bonuses to habitibility/max pop, plus food and mineral production. I don't know the details about the food & mineral bonuses. (Nor the habitibility and pop bonuses, but I think the details on the pop bonuses may be known.) The pop increase can be great from large moons, making huge Industrial planets with two Industry DEAs in a region possible. (Normally, two Industrial DEAs in a region together require so much pop that there isn't enough to make upgrades worthwhile, because they increase the pop required.) Never played a game long enough to see that yet, but I've heard it's great.

Also, they increase the maximum number of orbitals you can build around a planet. 3 more orbitals per moon, IIRC.
Old June 22, 2003, 18:59   #3
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 06:19
Moons have 2 purposes:
1. They enlarge the Population Max of the planet, i.e. if for example you have 2 Planets, one Size 12 without a moon and a second one also size 12 and with the same hability Ring but 2 Moons Size 6 the second one could accomodate more inhabitants.

2. AFAIK they increase the number of Space Stations you can buil around the planet. Every moons gives you the same number of spaces for Stations as the planet (and in case you are attacked you´ll see, that those surplus stations are de facto orbiting the moons).

3. I don´t know for sure, but it may be that the moons also increase the mining and/or bioharvesting output of certain regions on the planet.

But mooons can´t be settled the normal way or add regions to the planet.
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 01:22   #4
Vince278
King

Local Time: 04:19
Moons also appear to be the only size one objects out there. I haven't seen any size one planets yet.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote