View Poll Results: What relationship should we aim for with PEACE?
Full Allies: Pact siblings; full disclosure of techs; alliances against enemies; probe actions strictly forbidden. 4 66.67%
Allies: Treaty; disclosures of techs for only equal trades; probe actions strictly forbidden (or only in the direst of circumstances) 0 0%
Trading Partners: Trade freely, but only when it is in our advantage; keep important techs out of their hands if possible; probe only for key techs/info, and then only if we're sure we won't be caught 1 16.67%
Opportunistic: Trade when it's in our advantage, and try to leave them in the disadvantage as often as possible; formal relations only if it benefits us; probe for important techs/info but try and keep it secret 1 16.67%
Hostile...ish: Pretty much the same as oppurtunitic, but readying for relationships to turn sour, and eventually backstabbing them 0 0%
Mortal Enemies: Keep up all guises of friendship...ish, but only until our foil fleets are ready for dispatch to PEACE central 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 22, 2003, 20:21   #1
Corellion
ACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 23:19
Local Date: November 1, 2010
PEACE relations
Aha, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs leaps into action!

Alright, now that we have made contact with PEACE, we should determine exactly our position towards them. I believe that, this early on in the game, conflict is not good, particularly when a navy is required, and we do not have the requisite technology. However, such a poll can give us an idea of where we should work towards in the future.

In the meantime, I believe all of us support the tech trade, however the Pirates have revealed they are unwilling to trade for maps... whether they are being secretive or planning on maintaining some form of secretive trading role, where they act as information brokers (in the early game) for their own profit, is up to interpretation.

Though we can't strike them now, we also need to resolve the issue of what we want our probes to do about them. Should we steal at will, steal only for key techs/pieces of info, or refrain from stealing entirely?

This poll is, of course, easily superceded by any subsequent polls, it's mainly intended to test the waters.

My opinion on this matter is that we should choose opportunistic, as it allows us the most flexibility for the future, and will not reveal more to them than we wish.
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or one.

Last edited by Corellion; June 22, 2003 at 20:33.
Old June 23, 2003, 11:09   #2
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 04:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Full alliance. I think they could be a very valuble ally, as the Pirates seem to gain tech quickly, and rule the seas, they could help much against any other faction. I understand them not wanting to trade maps, and JDM did say that they are discussing the pirate copyright code, with regards to whether they can share maps. I believe that have been very friendly so far, and will continue to do so. Therefore, I support as much commerce income, techs and defense as we can get from them. Trading now puts us ahead, and goves us an advantage should we meet any other factions.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old June 23, 2003, 16:10   #3
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Full Allies, because I dont know better
Old June 23, 2003, 20:15   #4
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness

Hmmm... I would suggest knowing better before voting personally. However if you do this purely RP, it could be fun Though we want to do well too.

Old June 23, 2003, 21:22   #5
Corellion
Prince

If we go Full Allies, let's make sure not to give them unnecessary techs though...
Function Corelli Omega-9, Internal Affairs Function (Terms 110, 101, 100, 011, and 010) and Advisor on Foreign Affairs (Term 001) for the Cybernetic Consciousness in the Alpha Centauri Democracy Team Game (ACDTG).
Old June 24, 2003, 09:22   #6
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

trading partners:

i dont see any profit for us if we blindly give away our techs to the pirates that can sell them on to the UNI...only sell what we can spare and only if the ask for it....only ask for things we really need nothing more nothing less.
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 24, 2003, 10:41   #7
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:19
It's common in PBEMs to sell/trade/gift a tech to another human faction on an embargoed basis. That could involve never trading it to a third party, restrict trading it for X number of years or trade it only with your consent (eg if they have good relations with a third party that you don't have, and can get from that 3rd party a tech in exchange that can then be passed to you)

'Course with the AI one can't control/influence what they subsequently do, but PBEMers usually honor these embargoes to the letter

G.
Old June 24, 2003, 16:29   #8
DeathByTheSword
ACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 Spartans
King

problem is that there isnt one person playing a faction but several....and the more people play the more corrupt the minds get....
'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us
Old June 24, 2003, 16:48   #9
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 21:19
Yeah - they each need a collective consciousness

No?
Old June 24, 2003, 18:39   #10
Drogue
staff

Yes, I have offered us an embargo to get Doc. Flex., as they said they don't want it traded, but I hold out little hope. If they did agree, it would obviously be polled first, it's just speculation ATM.

DBTS: I agree, we should not give away stuff blindly at all, however a pact would give us more commerce, and trading techs means we get more tech Yes the PUT might trade, but if we trade, and then they trade with the PUT, we haven't lost out to the PUT at all, we still gained tech. I think embargoes could be good, but I think we should trade as much as possible, except if we want an SP or a really good military tech. Otherwise, let us reap the benefits of our research and get more tech

Old June 25, 2003, 01:15   #11
Corellion
Prince

Benefit from the fruits of our labour? Put it to work?

Sounds good, but let's not forget that there is always the possibility of a backstabbing... for all we know, they are merely trading techs with us to pass it on to another faction they've already met, such as the PUT (although that's highly unlikely at this early stage in the game).
Old June 25, 2003, 06:57   #12
Drogue
staff

So what if they are? Regardless of what they do with the tech, we gain tech from trading. Yes they could hand them to the PUT, but then we gain, the PUT gain, and the Pirates gain. Basically, the Drones and Hive lose out. Also, they haven't met them, as they haven't traded techs yet, they are very low on techs they said.

Old June 27, 2003, 22:02   #13
Maniac
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyPolyCast TeamACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 06:19
So, has anyone changed their opinion concerning pacting during the diplomatic interval of the last few days?
Old June 27, 2003, 22:18   #14
Drogue
staff

I certainly haven't. We have so much to gain, and we will be much safer in a Pact. They do not have militaristic intentions with us, and a Pact would make sure of that. They are showing friendship in relations now. Let us not spoil this out of spite and pride. Let us use them to get stronger. Let us take on the PUT when we find them. We can probe them easily and defeat them militarily, which we cannot so easily with PEACE. What other options are there? What reason is there not to Pact?

Old July 5, 2003, 12:01   #15
Corellion
Prince

Any further word from PEACE regarding the Pact of Siblingship that was proposed?
Old July 5, 2003, 19:39   #16
Drogue
staff

Only what was written on Googlie's diplomacy board, that they have voted in favour of a pact but are discussing details on that. After I had been told of the successful poll I would be very annoyed if they backed down (we always have Plan B to use) but I think it will still happen.

Old June 22, 2004, 13:01   #17
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:19
To address the origins of the PEACE-CyCon War:

interesting POVs here, especially since I saw a post hint somewhere that Drogue seemed set on attacking PEACE, so we did.

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue
Let us not spoil this out of spite and pride.
But at the same time some caution...

Quote:
Originally posted by Corellion

Sounds good, but let's not forget that there is always the possibility of a backstabbing... for all we know, they are merely trading techs with us to pass it on to another faction they've already met, such as the PUT (although that's highly unlikely at this early stage in the game).

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!