Old June 25, 2003, 02:46   #31
Bridger
Warlord

Local Time: 23:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Fayadi

Nobody would attack with just Siege unit!It is not easy to destroy Siege units combined with heavy and gunpowder inf in defensive mode protecting the siege.
I would state strongly that any expert player wont choose Maya as a civ.Maybe when playing Maya you havent met a good player.I have met a good player whom in Medieval age can come out with 2-3 siege combined with 4-5 cavalry + 6-7 light inf(18-21)+1-2 wagon,the exact numbers might be more.This good player can attack with such a mass number when everyone is building the economy in medieval age(to be honest I didnt survive the attack,my ally send reinforcement but was repelled).No matter how strong is your fortress or tower it wont be of no use.Those siege units will take out your buildings without being hurt.Whether you survive this attack depends on how many military units you have not how many defensive buildings you have.Relying on building for military defense is a bad idea I think.I will say that Maya might be the least favourite civ among experts because other civ advantages are more attractive.The Cynex Strategy guide book also mentioned that Maya unique bonuses are attractive for the beginners and also mentioned that experienced players wont like Maya's unique bonuses.
I think you underestimate the attacking power of the opponent when combined with siege(Remember that ppl dont just attack with siege units)
I believe that Maya civ is attractive to newbie players as expert will prefer other national bonuses?Do you(people) agree?
Erm, i think you misread my post, i said any non-seige attack would fail miserably vs. Maya. And seige units are so weak in the early game that some suicide light cav can easily take them out, forcing the enemy to build more expensive seige while you reinforce your defending army (garisoned inside the fort until your ready to counter-attack of course).

With maya it's all about booming until your forced to stop. Maya's building bonuses make it great for booming. You boom boom boom while building forts/towers and only minimal military. When the enemy shows up with his army, your extra hitpoints/firepower will give you plenty of time to switch from boom to military. I've used this strat plenty of times, boom boom boom until the enemy attacks, use the extra delay from your forts/towers to build up a military that is larger than his (since your economy is much better).

Mayan buildings are *not* your defence, they are your early warning system. The enemy can't attack until he takes down that fort, and it takes him a long time to kill that fort, even with trebuchets (and of course your ambushed light cav got his first seige to give you even more time).
Old June 25, 2003, 02:58   #32
Ctulu
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Fayadi,

If played Mayan's for the second time in my life, and this against the Turks on Thougher. 3d time on Thougher and Finally won!

The map was an island map with 1 main Island and 3 small around this one.

I pushed to him early on thanks to the timber reduction when our borders met at a River, splitting up the island! He attacked me early on thanks to his better sesource gather rate(thougher *******'s), but without siege! I already had 1 (or 2 towers) close to my border city, and garrizoned some citizen's who were in the line of fire, the tower/city took out his units fairly quick, making me loose only 1 citizen(he was surounded when I wanted to garizon him :-/).

By that time I went for a risky strategy. I was already creating my core army (Light Inf/Light Cav's) accompanied by some of the rest. I decided to avoid unit upgrades unless they were ABSOLUTELY necessairy until enlightment age, hoping I would fend off his attacks. Meanwhile, I continued producing unit. I pushed to one of the islands, and send 2 spies to see what he had. Apparently he only had 3 cities, I had 4!

When I hit Enlightment he was attacking my poorly defended Island. I upgraded all my units and charged for his city on the other side of the river! He pulled back his invading army in defence (he should've pushed through! he would've had my city).
Meanwhile he was 1 age behind, so he didn't have Janisary's yet. But he defended his city beautifully! He had 3 of his siege UU's close to his city pummeling the hell out of me. I tried to take them out with my cav but they were like meat to a blender *bzzzzzzzzzz* dead!

I pulled back to the river and pummeled some of his buildings like his temple. I was suffering, but his units more, thanks to the age difference. He didn't ballance well his attacks, except for his siege weapons.

Meanwhile my economy was suffering, through the constant backup-units creation. When he hit enlightment and made Janisary's, my musketeers suffered. I had to pull back to my border fortress. most of his units followed and were killed by it.

I hit industrial after making some granary/smelter/lumber mill upgrades/buildings and went back with a core army of infantry and some commando's! It took me a while to create tanks but after I had some I destroyed most of his siege (THANK GOD). I took his city, tried to repair it, but he took out my citizen's out. I held it, got capped back, capped back, assimilated it and lost it again. he was still an age behind I believe. I pulled back to my fortress, and concentrated on hitting modern to develop nukes.

While all this was happening (my enlightment-industrial period) I was on his small island taking care of barracks and stuff with commando's but not to large avail! I was also sending some air units to his unit production!
I also managed to build versailles with my scarce resources to help my army.

I pulled up my oil production and hit Modern, bought myself a way to nuclear weapons! He was in Industrial and ammassed his troops at the border city, but seemed afraid to cross the river, just to get waisted by my fortress. I sent in bombers to his unit production and I nuked his city killing of most of his units! Took his city with my refreshed/renewed army, killed off a bunch of citizen with my riding machine gun's(forgot name) and nuked his capitol.

The game was in my favor from then on, and I won fairly easy. I had to take his third city also because I played conquest/no wonders victory/no territory victory

My point is, it takes a good player to play as Mayan, who are considered as *weak*!

If u want to see this rec I'll post it
Ctulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 04:23   #33
Fayadi
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:21
Well,if you are indeed a good player,there is other more attractive national bonuses for offensive or booming playing style.British,French,Turks,Chinese they have more powerful national bonuses.Do you agree on this point?The bonuses of these nations need good players to play them too.Ppl requires more skills to make full use of the bonuses of these nations to be real deadly.DO you agree on the point that expert will choose other nations over Maya?

One more thing about Fortress and Towers,as I have already mentioned,I have met a real good player who can in Medieval age ,attack with a large army(Chevalier+Elite Javileener+Pikemen) with some siege units.Your 2 or 3 elite cavalry will probably be dead if you approach them.Fortress are going to be reduced from a long range while the large army are protecting the siege.SO generally expert will choose to play any civ that is economically better or militarily good to create powerful units.
As you mentioned the advantage of playing Maya is by giving time for the player to build up the army while the fortress are slowly taking hits.This is not a good idea though,6 siege units might take down anything in Medieval Age faster than you think.
That early warning system will be destroyed way too early.

Isn't it better to play a civ with better economy or military bonuses rather than some building bonuses whose playing style is to turtle and boom till quite late to attack.Booming is fine,but to counter rushes you must have an army available ,not with a tiny squad of infantry relying on Fortress to buy time while creating up an army DURING THE ATTACK.Besidess cheaper building doesnt give you much economic advantage.Egypt,France,British,German,Chinese,Turk s bonuses will give you more resources than Maya do.Well if you love to have more woods,why not play France ?It will give you more woods which is more attractive than Maya's bonus of cheaper buildings.France is my 4th favourite civ,but I believe it is TOTALLY better than Maya in national bonuses

Ok I will change my stance now,I believe Maya's bonus is unattractive but it is not necessarily weak.
Now,I do agree on the point RON's civ are nicely balanced,but just some civ's bonuses are unattractive

Last edited by Fayadi; June 25, 2003 at 04:30.
Fayadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 04:51   #34
Ctulu
Chieftain

how can 1 have lots of units reaching medieval? wich nation did he play? just curious
Old June 25, 2003, 06:58   #35
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
I hear a lot of talk about those wealth gaining Civs, but what is the point with it anyway? I haven't played as any of these wealth gaining Civs yet, but I have always, withing short time, got to the maximum commercial cap, even though I also have invented more of commercial, than usual... In my present game, I'm at Enlightment age, with a commerical cap of 600 (+ the Diamonds, which makes it 660), but still I'm only using about 50% of my commerce... I've only got like 4 caravans...
Old June 25, 2003, 07:25   #36
Fayadi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ctulu
how can 1 have lots of units reaching medieval? wich nation did he play? just curious
The nation he play is France.He is damn good I think because he defeated me and when my ally send help,his reinforcement was repelled.But at that I am just an intermediate player,my skills have improved now I think
He attacked me with chevalier with elite javalineer attacking from behind with some siege weapons.
5 chevalier + 6-7 elite jav + 2 siege weapons attacking my fortress +1 wagon.Forget to mention that his territory is just beside mine,so it is near for his army to attack me
Old June 25, 2003, 07:39   #37
Ctulu
Chieftain

Quote:
that I am just an intermediate player,my skills have improved now I think
Try playing on though if you already ain't, it's not THAT more difficult then moderate. AI comes with bigger armies, that's all

Quote:
5 chevalier + 6-7 elite jav + 2 siege weapons attacking my fortress +1 wagon
that's not an unusual amount of units as you led to believe, and it should've been fairly easy to fend that attack off with 4-5 pikes/ 3-4 light cav's
Old June 25, 2003, 08:06   #38
PTM
Chieftain

Local Time: 04:21
Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I hear a lot of talk about those wealth gaining Civs, but what is the point with it anyway? I haven't played as any of these wealth gaining Civs yet, but I have always, withing short time, got to the maximum commercial cap, even though I also have invented more of commercial, than usual... In my present game, I'm at Enlightment age, with a commerical cap of 600 (+ the Diamonds, which makes it 660), but still I'm only using about 50% of my commerce... I've only got like 4 caravans...
If you reach the Com Cap, something I do alot, play as the Brits (my personal favorite nation, as you can see from my long and detailed post on page 1 of this thread). They have a Com Cap bonus of +25%, so if you were Brits and got those diamonds you're at +35%, which turns your +500 (I don't know how you got +600 in Enlightenment, because it maxes at +500 until Info Age End-Game Techs come around) into +675! An extra 175 food/wood/metal/wealth (and in industrial oil) is very, VERY beneficial if your someone who plays with a strategy like mine.

If you find you're having problems in Enlightenment, the British could be the nation for you. Not only do their Com Cap limits help TREMENDOUSLY, but their UU's (Highlanders at Enlightenment) will destroy other infantry, regaurdless of class (Gunpowder, Heavy, etc.).

- PTM
PTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 08:19   #39
deadfuse
Settler

2 siege weapons would do jack against a Mayan fort. Forts are really easy to defend by putting a few siege weapons of your own next to them. That way you can barrage the attacker's siege, and if he tries to attack your siege with cav/infantry, he has to brave the fort (i.e. he'll die).

I do think Turks would be able to cruise right through the Maya with a siege rush. They would have more siege engines, and they would have a much longer range than the Mayan engines, so there would be no way to save that fort. You would just hope it takes them a while, and start building your army.
deadfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 08:24   #40
Fayadi
Chieftain

Quote:

Try playing on though if you already ain't, it's not THAT more difficult then moderate. AI comes with bigger armies, that's all

that's not an unusual amount of units as you led to believe, and it should've been fairly easy to fend that attack off with 4-5 pikes/ 3-4 light cav's
My definition of Intermediate player is different from you,for me an intermediate player is a player who can beat tough com but cant beat very good players in internet and I do beat tough com.I believe that my skills have improved ,so I am confident now I can up to par challenging good players as I have been winning against people in internet.7-8 light inf+6-7 chevalier(heavy knight) can beat 4-5pikes/3-4 light cav.I am confident I can repel such attack now but the point I am arguing is this attack can reduce any Maya player whose playing style "creating an army while the enemy is attacking the fortress"
Old June 25, 2003, 08:40   #41
Ctulu
Chieftain

Quote:
5 chevalier + 6-7 elite jav + 2 siege weapons attacking my fortress +1 wagon
Quote:
7-8 light inf+6-7 chevalier(heavy knight) can beat 4-5pikes/3-4 light cav
try to be consistent, BIG difference

and pikes counter cav's, and cav's counter jav's, so their wouldn't be too much of a problem, just more needed
Old June 25, 2003, 13:59   #42
Bridger
Warlord

What i'm saying is that it's much more effective to boom when you are assured your small militery will last as long as you need it to. With the british or the french, try booming against a player who attacks you in late classical/early midieval, you'll either have to have built a counter-force before he gets there (effectively ending your boom before it begins) or you will die as he runs over your undefended boom.

The advantage of the Maya is they can boom AND then fend off an attack, no other civ can really do this (cept maybe russia with their awsome light cav/attrition/spies bonuses).
Old June 25, 2003, 15:51   #43
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by PTM
If you reach the Com Cap, something I do alot, play as the Brits (my personal favorite nation, as you can see from my long and detailed post on page 1 of this thread). They have a Com Cap bonus of +25%, so if you were Brits and got those diamonds you're at +35%, which turns your +500 (I don't know how you got +600 in Enlightenment, because it maxes at +500 until Info Age End-Game Techs come around) into +675! An extra 175 food/wood/metal/wealth (and in industrial oil) is very, VERY beneficial if your someone who plays with a strategy like mine.

If you find you're having problems in Enlightenment, the British could be the nation for you. Not only do their Com Cap limits help TREMENDOUSLY, but their UU's (Highlanders at Enlightenment) will destroy other infantry, regaurdless of class (Gunpowder, Heavy, etc.).

- PTM
I might remember wrong then, I didn't check... but the fact was, that I got more wealth than the limit allows... extremely much more... and that's without any Wealth Nations... I can't see how wealth nations can be at use at all, if I max out the wealth that quickly anyway
Old June 25, 2003, 16:28   #44
Bridger
Warlord

ADG, did you build the collosus or taj mahal? Both increase your wealth cap.
Old June 25, 2003, 17:31   #45
PTM
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG

I might remember wrong then, I didn't check... but the fact was, that I got more wealth than the limit allows... extremely much more... and that's without any Wealth Nations... I can't see how wealth nations can be at use at all, if I max out the wealth that quickly anyway
...Which is why British solve that issue, because if you were using them (that is, with Diamonds in your case) you'd have +35% more wealth coming in (due to +35% Com Cap). If you're in the Enlightenment age and your maxing your wealth out as a Brit it's time to age. You'll obviously have the resources if you're getting +675 wealth every 30 seconds. The Brits ability to increase Wealth inflow isn't their only advantage, as is the case with the other "wealth nations" you refer to.

- PTM
Old June 25, 2003, 17:41   #46
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Bridger
ADG, did you build the collosus or taj mahal? Both increase your wealth cap.
Only the Collosus...

Quote:
Originally posted by PTM
...Which is why British solve that issue, because if you were using them (that is, with Diamonds in your case) you'd have +35% more wealth coming in (due to +35% Com Cap
I wouldn't call it an issue, since I've got more gold than I could spend anyway (I'm at a non-stop war, and keeps building units (also those who costs gold), but by gold keeps going up... even if I somehow stopped all the gold from coming in, I wouldn't have spent all my gold before the game ended anyway...
Old June 25, 2003, 20:25   #47
Aginor
C4DG Gathering Storm
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I hear a lot of talk about those wealth gaining Civs, but what is the point with it anyway?
The point is not being poor in the early ages. Strong Wealth means:

1) Faster research than everyone else due to mad full Universities, which other players cannot afford for a while
2) More resources for other things (don't have to sell metal like mad, which makes Heavy Cav a lot more accessible early...handy when Heavy Infantry is a major challenge to build due to boomers' metal shortage caused by selling it all to fill THEIR Universities)
3) the ability to purchase resources when needed for key resource investments (Granary, Lumber Mill and Smelter especially)
4) the ability to start two key Wonders, the Colossus and Terra Cotta, a bit earlier

The advantage diminishes greatly by Enlightenment or so. By that point either you have turned your short-term advantage into a long-term tech and Wonder lead, or you get rolled by Civs that have stronger advantages later.

Personally, I'd rather start fast...I know how to play with the lead, and don't really know how to rally from behind.
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 20:51   #48
Aginor
C4DG Gathering Storm
Warlord

Quote:
The advantage of the Maya is they can boom AND then fend off an attack, no other civ can really do this (cept maybe russia with their awsome light cav/attrition/spies bonuses).
I'd phrase it this way: the main advantage of the Mayans is that a Tower full of Archers basically makes a city impregnable to anything short of Cannon...this is DIRT cheap as city defense goes early on, which presents significant resource and security advantages. You CAN defend with other civs without screwing up your boom, but you have to prepare a lot better with other civs. With the Mayans you can pretty much see an attack coming in Ancient, sound the alarm, lob mad arrows at the other guy while a Barracks elsewhere slams out some archers, flank the attacking force with 4 Archers or so, and that's it for the weakened attackers...cheap, effective, and those Archers can then neatly garrison a quick Tower in Classical for a city impregnable to rushes. With other civs you really have to build the Archers BEFORE company arrives AND have them garrisoned where the attack will hit to not lose any of the defending force...this has a tendency to slow a boom, as you usually have to build the Archers before you hit +100 on both food and wood, and also cannot research Taxation as fast.

Cheaper buildings (especially Farms) don't hurt, but there ARE more effective economic advantages for a good boom...to play the Mayans well you need to take advantage of the big security advantages you get before Gunpowder, and strive to 1) not lag behind in reaching Gunpowder and 2) have a bunch of artillery pieces ready to counter any attempts to smoke your Towers and Forts.

I would argue that the Russians are the exact opposite of the Mayans...actually they are somewhat lousy boomers as all of their advantages show up late. You can't take advantage of Russian spy advantages until Forts make an appearance, and Russian Attrition doesn't really come into its own until Medieval and level 2 Attrition eather. But the Russians are likely to build an impenetrable house if left alone until Gunpowder or later if the player builds sufficient Light Cav and Spies to ensure that Supply Wagons go down fast.

All of the Mayan advantages drop off pretty fast once Gunpowder hits...timber becomes a lot more plentiful and is rarely used to actually build buildings, and Forts' arrow firing abilities become irrelevant...their purpose becomes buying time and halting enemy advances until artillery pieces bring them down.

I only see 3 civs as having meaningful advantages in all Ages, the Brits, Bantu and Egyptians (Brit Commerce cap increase rocks all game, Bantu have fast cities early for a good boom and increased pop cap late, and the Egyptians get extra farms early and the ability to build the Statue and Supercollider unfairly early in the late game). Most civs are geared toward some major early rushing advantage or early boom advantage, with only a couple of civs being really geared towards the late game (Russians and Nubians).
Aginor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2003, 21:51   #49
Fayadi
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Aginor

I'd phrase it this way: the main advantage of the Mayans is that a Tower full of Archers basically makes a city impregnable to anything short of Cannon...this is DIRT cheap as city defense goes early on, which presents significant resource and security advantages. You CAN defend with other civs without screwing up your boom, but you have to prepare a lot better with other civs. With the Mayans you can pretty much see an attack coming in Ancient, sound the alarm, lob mad arrows at the other guy while a Barracks elsewhere slams out some archers, flank the attacking force with 4 Archers or so, and that's it for the weakened attackers...cheap, effective, and those Archers can then neatly garrison a quick Tower in Classical for a city impregnable to rushes. With other civs you really have to build the Archers BEFORE company arrives AND have them garrisoned where the attack will hit to not lose any of the defending force...this has a tendency to slow a boom, as you usually have to build the Archers before you hit +100 on both food and wood, and also cannot research Taxation as fast.

Cheaper buildings (especially Farms) don't hurt, but there ARE more effective economic advantages for a good boom...to play the Mayans well you need to take advantage of the big security advantages you get before Gunpowder, and strive to 1) not lag behind in reaching Gunpowder and 2) have a bunch of artillery pieces ready to counter any attempts to smoke your Towers and Forts.

I would argue that the Russians are the exact opposite of the Mayans...actually they are somewhat lousy boomers as all of their advantages show up late. You can't take advantage of Russian spy advantages until Forts make an appearance, and Russian Attrition doesn't really come into its own until Medieval and level 2 Attrition eather. But the Russians are likely to build an impenetrable house if left alone until Gunpowder or later if the player builds sufficient Light Cav and Spies to ensure that Supply Wagons go down fast.

All of the Mayan advantages drop off pretty fast once Gunpowder hits...timber becomes a lot more plentiful and is rarely used to actually build buildings, and Forts' arrow firing abilities become irrelevant...their purpose becomes buying time and halting enemy advances until artillery pieces bring them down.

I only see 3 civs as having meaningful advantages in all Ages, the Brits, Bantu and Egyptians (Brit Commerce cap increase rocks all game, Bantu have fast cities early for a good boom and increased pop cap late, and the Egyptians get extra farms early and the ability to build the Statue and Supercollider unfairly early in the late game). Most civs are geared toward some major early rushing advantage or early boom advantage, with only a couple of civs being really geared towards the late game (Russians and Nubians).
We do agree on one point,Maya's national bonuses aren't that attractive to good players.The national bonuses of other civs are way more attractive than Maya's

Meaningful advantage towards the 3 ages?You forget the Turks,the French and the Chinese.
Turks-33%cheaper citizens mean you outproduce your opponents citizens
French-Free lumber mill+lumber camp can gather 2 more citizens are important advantages too.You need wood to build farm!It is more flexible than food advantage because you can produce more farm
Chinese-good national advantage throughout the game.More citizens in early game jumpstart your economy.When you are expanding for 2nd or 3rd city,the advantage can be felt too.
In the late game after you researched Global Prosperity,you can create 20 over citizens instantly to make full use of the 999 commerce cap

Germans,Turks and Aztec has powerful units in the late game too.German for the Leopard tank,Turks for the 28 range MLRS/Rocket Artillery and Aztec for Jaguar assault infantry.French can be real good when it build Versailles,the healing rate is good and there is no need to garrison units anymore.Plus cheaper and shorter time creation siege units means you can outproduce MLRS in the late game.MLRS for me is the most powerful unit in the game(of course it won't be effective,if not combined with other units in an attack).Bantu +25% population limit is a huge advantage.You can overwhelm you opponents with larger forces

Last edited by Fayadi; June 25, 2003 at 22:00.
Old June 26, 2003, 01:30   #50
Bridger
Warlord

I think you guys are missing the point, Maya works well with certain strategies, and certain playstyles. Just because other civs have bonuses that seem to give it an inherent advantage over Maya doesn't mean it will play the same. Maya's bonus works on the near-pure boom concept that NO other civ can pull off (save posibly russia, havn't played them enough to tell).

Name me one other civ that can build nothing but light inf, light cav, and 1 tower per city and still stop a very determined and powerful midieval attack. I don't think there is one, not one as good as maya. The resourses you arn't spending on military are insted working to facilitate your boom. Your selling metal to buy food to age up, insted of spending it on heavy cav/inf.
Old June 26, 2003, 02:19   #51
Ctulu
Chieftain

Quote:
I think you guys are missing the point, Maya works well with certain strategies, and certain playstyles. Just because other civs have bonuses that seem to give it an inherent advantage over Maya doesn't mean it will play the same. Maya's bonus works on the near-pure boom concept that NO other civ can pull off (save posibly russia, havn't played them enough to tell).

Name me one other civ that can build nothing but light inf, light cav, and 1 tower per city and still stop a very determined and powerful midieval attack. I don't think there is one, not one as good as maya. The resourses you arn't spending on military are instead working to facilitate your boom. You're selling metal to buy food to age up, instead of spending it on heavy cav/inf.
You got it man!

Quote:
Originally posted by Fayida
French-Free lumber mill+lumber camp can gather 2 more citizens are important advantages too.You need wood to build farm!It is more flexible than food advantage because you can produce more farm
the French wood advantage is the same , or less good then a cost reduction on farms like the Maya/Japanese

Quote:
French can be real good when it build Versailles,the healing rate is good and there is no need to garrison units anymore
they DON'T need Versailles, their supply waggons heal already!

Quote:
Chinese-good national advantage throughout the game.More citizens in early game jumpstart your economy.When you are expanding for 2nd or 3rd city,the advantage can be felt too.
Not more, Faster. You still have to pay the same price,
I agree on the Turks Citizen, advantage

Last edited by Ctulu; June 26, 2003 at 02:27.
Old June 26, 2003, 03:29   #52
Fayadi
Chieftain

Quote:

You got it man!

the French wood advantage is the same , or less good then a cost reduction on farms like the Maya/Japanese

they DON'T need Versailles, their supply waggons heal already!

Not more, Faster. You still have to pay the same price,
I agree on the Turks Citizen, advantage
I am trying to say that French's supply wagon is a real powerful addition to your army when they build Versailles and yeah I forget to mention that their wagon heal faster when the wonder is built.Sorry for that mistake.

Right now the point I am debating is that does the playing style of Maya booming with fortress as an "early warning system" works?I dont think so.You guys believe that with Fortress ,you dont need to build large army in the beginning of the game over the reason of early warning system and buying time.Well it isnt flexible you know,the whole concept of Fortress is not really my playing style (or even expert's playing style I believe?).When the enemy is attacking and you start creating your army,I think it is quite late and that's why I believe good players with large army has high chances of defeating Maya player with this playing concept

Playing style of booming and creating army at the same time is a better idea( of course your resource management must be good too) but the value of this playing concept for Maya players is reduced as other Nations provide more suitable national bonuses for the playing style of creating military units "all the time"

Last edited by Fayadi; June 26, 2003 at 03:49.
Old June 26, 2003, 04:56   #53
Ctulu
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Fayadi
Playing style of booming and creating army at the same time is a better idea( of course your resource management must be good too) but the value of this playing concept for Maya players is reduced as other Nations provide more suitable national bonuses for the playing style of creating military units "all the time"
I play maya effectivly that way, you should even have more units (light cav/light infantry(they are cheaper compared to others for Mayan)). It's not that a Mayan can depend totally on his towers/fortresses. He can depend MORE on them (like british) then others. And buying time doesn't mean you can wait till enlightment(or whatever) to start producing units! In fact you should be quicker on the unit production with a Mayan, thanks to cheaper stables/barracks/siege factories. you're boom should also be quicker thanks to the cost reduction (except for Bantu)!

Ah what the hell, we're never gonna agree, let's call it a day. I see their power, you don't, that's it!
Old June 26, 2003, 08:04   #54
ASSSSCAT
Settler

You could settle this really easily by just playing an MP match against each-other, Maya vs British.
ASSSSCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2003, 08:18   #55
Fayadi
Chieftain

Quote:

I play maya effectivly that way, you should even have more units (light cav/light infantry(they are cheaper compared to others for Mayan)). It's not that a Mayan can depend totally on his towers/fortresses. He can depend MORE on them (like british) then others. And buying time doesn't mean you can wait till enlightment(or whatever) to start producing units! In fact you should be quicker on the unit production with a Mayan, thanks to cheaper stables/barracks/siege factories. you're boom should also be quicker thanks to the cost reduction (except for Bantu)!

Ah what the hell, we're never gonna agree, let's call it a day. I see their power, you don't, that's it!
Thanks for your time and you have done a wonderful job convincing me that all the civ's are balanced.Maybe Maya is equally strong with other civ,but I just dont like the national bonus.I dont appreciate their national strength as I dont value building bonus over other economic or military bonus. From the debate,I am beginnning to see the advantage of Maya but the problem here is I just dont appreciate building bonuses.

Let's call it a day!I agree with some of your points (maybe totally after I understand the full use of Maya national bonus) though,so dont say we are never gonna agree.
Old June 26, 2003, 09:19   #56
PTM
Chieftain

Haha finally the Great Mayan Debate seems to have closed. It appears the Mayans are a very controversial nation indeed!

I'm glad to see so many players realizing that in RoN the nations are so well balanced there is NO true "best" nation, and neither is there a "worst" - only "different" nations exist, and each nation will suit each player in a different way. It's just like in Starcraft. In SC my friend and I use Terran because it suits our style better and we are more adept at using Terran advantages. My other friend, however, plays Zerg mostly. We don't have advatanges over one another that make it an unfair game - the same is true in RoN. A militarily powerful nation and an economically powerful nation may not be strong at the same things, but each have their own powers and their own weak points, so a good player can never be thinking "damn, I got a bad nation."

- PTM

Last edited by PTM; June 26, 2003 at 10:53.
Old June 26, 2003, 09:39   #57
Ctulu
Chieftain

It was an honour debating with you, Fayadi!

Quote:
Haha finally the Great Mayan Debate seems to have closed. It appears the Mayans are a very controversial nation indeed!

I'm glad to see so many players realizing that in RoN the nations are so well balanced there is NO true "best" nation, and neither is there "worst" - only "different" nations exist, and each nation will suit each player in a different way. It's just like in Starcraft. In SC my friend and I use Terran because it suits our style better and we are more adept at using Terran advantages. My other friend, however, plays Zerg mostly. We don't have advatanges over one another that make it an unfair game - the same is true in RoN. A militarily powerful nation and an economically powerful nation may not be strong at the same things, but each have their own powers and their own weak points, so a good player can never be thinking "damn, I got a bad nation."
Statement of the year, totally agree bro!
And sorry to have bottered so many people with the Mayan debate

Old June 26, 2003, 11:22   #58
tetleytea
Settler

My vote is thumbs up for the Mayas. You can outrace others' rush to Wonders even when they've got a head start. Really screws them up. I do that very regularly vs. Tough AI.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned is the advantage when your UU is Light Infantry, like Aztecs. You can get Terra Cotta.
tetleytea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2003, 12:11   #59
ded_man_walkin
Chieftain

Actuaally youre very wrong buddy. Lemme tell u a story about me playing some dude called kamIkaze_agent or something, on the land random map (he was greks, I was random French).

I had a good start, since my scout had found those o called "good y boxes" in the beggining. So it meant a fast classical and therefore a quick rush. After like-10 minutes or so, I waltz into his town with my chevys- and what do i see? A huge horde of pikemen and Javileneers (he was in Medievel already)heading my way. Thus my first atack was foiled.

Now i tried to be more strategical and conservative andpull him out until industrial, or later-when I could do my infamous blitzkrieg-attack him with massive forces supported by many tanks and aircraft. The main objective was now to advance faster, than he would. However, for some reason (the research bonuses no doubt) , the guy was always ahead of me an age, he always had better units, and more resources.

Every time I atacked he repelled me ingeniously, causing great losses to my economy and military. The combination of Stratitorai, pikemen and arquebusiers inflicted great losses upon my atacking units. Pike men in the front, ripping up my knights, arquebusers in the back mopping up enemy ranged, and an ingenious flanking maneuver by his HCav's upon my archers.

One thing that puzzled me was the fact that he might have been a good defencer, but he never launched a successful offensive against my cities, and my economy, and he never seemed to be able to supply and reinforce his units properly while in the enemy territory.

In the end when I hit modern, I had more territorey captured than him, and most of the oilfields (ha there was a lake in the middle of the map which i controlled that had a lot of offshore oil fields) too. So in the end-long story short, I had him locked up in a corner of the map. He was too short of oil, to advance to information, and it all ended with me, nuking out his army which was stationed in one place. Before he could build another, i had Overran his cities with tanks. The end.

The guy was definetly a noob, he Never effectively attacked me, but this little show of arms, proves the fact that there are no "sucky" civs in RoN, like there were in AoK or even more so in AoE1, Its just how good you are with a civ. As for mayans, I never really played them a lot, and I don't know how they will go with me.
ded_man_walkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2003, 04:12   #60
Ctulu
Chieftain

...and who might ber wrong about what?

Quote:
Actually youre very wrong buddy. Let me tell you a story about me playing some dude called kamIkaze_agent or something, on the land random map (he was Greeks, I was random French).