Old July 3, 2003, 08:20   #61
Rusty Nail
Warlord

Local Time: 05:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
PTM:

You say "Highlanders own musketeers", yet the two have exactly the same specs. Is there a rational explanation for this (i.e. a secret advantage of which we are not informed by the manual) or is this a subjective impression. I have the same problem with many other UUs that have the same specs as the generic models.
Rusty Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2003, 08:45   #62
deadfuse
Settler

Local Time: 04:21
Most UUs have the same specs (except germans, for example), but usually receive some other bonus. In the case of Highlanders, they get a bonus against all types of infantry, instead of just heavy inf like regular musketeers.
deadfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2003, 09:52   #63
Ctulu
Chieftain

Rusty Nail

check out http://www.ronoracle.com/html/units.php and study the UU's bonuses
Old July 3, 2003, 12:50   #64
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 06:21
Thx for posting the site, didn't know about that one... looks interesting...
Old July 4, 2003, 03:49   #65
PTM
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Nail
PTM:

You say "Highlanders own musketeers", yet the two have exactly the same specs. Is there a rational explanation for this (i.e. a secret advantage of which we are not informed by the manual) or is this a subjective impression. I have the same problem with many other UUs that have the same specs as the generic models.
OK, let's put it like this. The attack power of, for instance, arquebusiers is 18. If you put an arquebusier up against its counter, the heavy knight, the arquebusier gets its day ruined. It'll shoot the knight, sure enough, but it won't do 18 damage. It'll do less. The H.Knight's attack is 17, but it won't do 17. It'll do more.

When you put up two units against each other they almost NEVER do the same amount of damage as indicated by attack power. There is some hidden factor, and it's related to the unit types. Highlanders, for example, have something in their damage equation that makes them do more damage against musketeers than musketeers do against them.

Stats, besides HP and armor, in RoN take a backseat to unit type. Sure even though a unit might counter another it can still lose if it's an ancient age unit against a gunpowder age unit, but that's because of the huge tech gap.

It's not a subjective thing, it's objective. I've tested it, it's true. Highlanders do more damage to a musketeer than a musketeer does against it.

I can't explain this in terms of numbers, it's just the way things go down.

- PTM
PTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2003, 10:23   #66
Rusty Nail
Warlord

My point is: where is the data hidden (for, say, the highlander's extra bonus against other infantry?) Is it hard-wired? If so, I cannot change it in a mod. Not good news for modders. I hope it is not hard-wired, but I can't find these "specials" anywhere (if they exist), and not on the website referred to either. In any case, I would like to know the quantitative amount of the advantage. Why hide it?
Rusty Nail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2003, 00:42   #67
iamlod
Chieftain

I think the idea of unit counters being such a major roll in battle is one of the unique things that is present in RoN (yes, I know that it is an issue in other games, but not to the extent of RoN). Maybe, if it is hardwired, they didn't want modders to be able to chage that aspect of the game because it would loose some of that uniqueness.
Just a thought
iamlod is offline   Reply With Quote