Old June 26, 2003, 22:18   #241
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The U.S. Department of Defense just approved the use of Linux by the military. I think that dispels any notion that Linux is a "leftist" OS. The military likes it because it's more secure, not because they love communism.

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; June 26, 2003 at 22:24.
Old June 26, 2003, 22:22   #242
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 04:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Linux is evil, linux is un-american, linux is terrorism, linux is a cancer.

Linux is being used by god knows how many corps, it is being used by the US military, even the NSA developed a version (iirc, enigmatically names secure linux ), and DARPA are sponsoring an up and coming filesystem called reiserFS.

Take your pick (guess who said the former stuff).
Old June 26, 2003, 22:24   #243
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
[QUOTE] Originally posted by elijah
The engineers whose software is most of the content behind mozilla. You got any other examples to back up that claim, other than mozilla?

Quote:
Kernel development is controlled by Linus Torvalds, not "huge american corporations".
Linus says "yes" or "no". That's it.

And even then, that's just for the stock Linux. IBM, Sun, etc. all have their own variations of Linux that offer much higher performance, scalability, and stability.

Quote:
All of which (except slack) are lame compared to the new distros. If you want my advise ( ), check out SuSE 8.2. OS art?
Did you just call Debian lame?
Newbie.

Quote:
But you cant get it running faster than XP? It would appear that I know more about it than you (just a speculation of course ).
Purely speculation, because it's bull.
XP has lower latency and far better thread handling, particularly with Pentium 4s w/ HT.

You didn't even know of all of the contrib patches for the kernel to boost performance.

Quote:
Unsuprising considering the required upgrades etc. its gone from 0 to whatever it is since it was released, a rise of (many) percent. Really suprising that one is
Um. By Windows Server, I mean the family. NT4.0, 2000, 2003...

Quote:
1994? Yet it formed the basis of systems up to winME!! Even now the file structure is arranged with drive letters!
NTFS doesn't use driver letters whatsoever, it was preserved for ease of use (everyone was used to it), and compatibility.

Look at the XP dianogostic bootup screen if you really wanna see how drives are identified, or use the rescue console.

Quote:
Nope, its worse from your subjective point of view
How is it NOT worse? /etc for preferences? WTF? What do you think most people think /var, /usr, /dev, etc mean. It's not intuitive, it's not easy to learn. It was designed purely because when you've got an unwieldy CLI to do everything, short names mean you type less.

Quote:
In program files, binaries are mixed with documentation, the folder structure is dependent on how it was installed and the software itself, its all a giant mess!
The folder structure in Linux depends on what is installed too -- if you delete/rename subfolders, the program won't know where to find things. And binaries "mixed in" with documentation is a laugh, documentation tends to be a single .hlp file. It's only a giant mess if you don't know how to install...

Quote:
My documents makes no provisions for other users
Yes it does...

Quote:
entire windows system is incredibly terrible in the commandline, even if it was a UNIX commandline (which it isnt) the structure would be impossible.
Use Cygwin if you truly care. Frankly I never, ever, use the command line in Windows because all I need it for is PING, TRACERT, etc.

Quote:
I bet that's what the NSA are saying
I don't think you've got a clue what you're talking about -- regarding Linux or Windows. This is another example -- you think the compatibility mode is spyware?

Quote:
And what do communist countries have anything to do with operating systems?
Um. Because you asked why I think open source advocates tend to be more left-wing? It's a shining example, and you're ignoring it because you don't think it's relevant? It's what you asked for.
Old June 26, 2003, 22:26   #244
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 22:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
The U.S. Department of Defense just approved the use of Linux by the military. I think that dispels any notion that Linux is a "leftist" OS. The military likes it because it's more secure, not because they love communism.
Strawman!

Never said Linux is a "leftist" OS. Never said if you use it you love communism.

And just because the DoD approves something doesn't mean that it's mostly promoted (I used the term advocates, if you'll recall) by people who are certainly left-wing in general.

And big deal that the DoD approved it -- NT was approved how many years ago?

It doesn't mean anything until they use it.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...rosoft_army_dc

Quote:
Microsoft Lands Large Army Software Contract
Wed Jun 25, 7:22 PM ET

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq:MSFT - news) said on Wednesday that it clinched the largest single-deal contract ever for the world's No. 1 software maker, a $471 million pact to provide software for 494,000 personal computers to the U.S. Army.

The six-year deal, which also involved a software reseller called Softmart that will get a commission, marks not only a significant sales win for Microsoft, but also a key endorsement of its efforts to improve the security of its software, analysts said.

Keith Hodson, a Microsoft spokesman, said the contract could help the Army reduce its costs and "validates the Army's belief in our security model."

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft has been stepping up its efforts to sell more software to governments, both at home and abroad. The U.S. government is investing aggressively in technology as part of its war on terror and focus on national security.

Charles Di Bona, software analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein, said in a research report that the contract would most likely add $16.6 million per quarter of "high-margin (in the range of 89 percent) revenues and add $0.001 per quarter to EPS."

"We look at the Army deal as incremental evidence that Microsoft continues to outperform as a business and that the longer-term, subscription style business model is indeed gaining significant traction," Di Bona wrote in his report.